Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Examples of Prog That Went "Too Far"?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2020 at 08:51
Originally posted by SixString SixString wrote:

CStack said;  'Well, we all know that the roots of ALL rock music is from black musicians, right?' 

This could start a huge thread but I won't bite, I will however state that alternative opinions are available. 

What he stated is massively more accurate than even slightly off base.......again its about the history of music that need not be forgotten. When a band says "I/we were influenced by Chubby Checker and Chuck Berry....." I'm not sure what opinion you could have of such a statement, other than to call the band liars. Confused
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2020 at 09:09
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

When a band says "I/we were influenced by Chubby Checker and Chuck Berry....." I'm not sure what opinion you could have of such a statement, other than to call the band liars. Confused
I may have misunderstood this - so when Paul McCartney said The Beatles were influenced by Chuck Berry, he was lying?
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2020 at 12:27
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

When a band says "I/we were influenced by Chubby Checker and Chuck Berry....." I'm not sure what opinion you could have of such a statement, other than to call the band liars. Confused
I may have misunderstood this - so when Paul McCartney said The Beatles were influenced by Chuck Berry, he was lying?
That's what I was telling SixString.....I don't think you can have an opinion when a band directly says they were influenced by someone specific. I mean unless the opinion is that McCartney is whacked or lying or has no clue what he is talking about. LOL
SixString was commenting on what cstack said about roots of all music is from black musicians. I'd have to think hard about the word "all" but I still think it is way more accurate than not.
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2020 at 23:41

CStack said;  'Well, we all know that the roots of ALL rock music is from black musicians, right?' 

This could start a huge thread but I won't bite, I will however state that alternative opinions are available. 

Please, go ahead, bite!!  

What is your alternative explanation for the roots of ALL rock music?  

I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2020 at 09:53
^  Should be interesting. If only this question was addressed to boboulo/svetonio.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2020 at 10:08
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

Please, go ahead, bite!!  

Yes, I would like to hear the alternative theory. I wonder if it has something to do with a flat-earth/Roswell hypothesis. And will we have to wear tinfoil helmets?
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Easy Money Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2020 at 10:12
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

Please, go ahead, bite!!  

Alternative theories abound, but not alternative facts. Who first played a distorted electric guitar while the congregation kept the backbeat, Sister Rosetta Tharpe.
Help the victims of the russian invasion:
http://www.jazzmusicarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=28523&PID=130446&title=various-ways-you-can-help-ukraine#130446
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Easy Money Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2020 at 10:21
^

Sister Rosetta Tharpe (March 20, 1915 – October 9, 1973) was an American singer, songwriter, guitarist, and recording artist. She attained popularity in the 1930s and 1940s with her gospel recordings, characterized by a unique mixture of spiritual lyrics and rhythmic accompaniment that was a precursor of rock and roll. She was the first great recording star of gospel music and among the first gospel musicians to appeal to rhythm-and-blues and rock-and-roll audiences, later being referred to as "the original soul sister" and "the Godmother of rock and roll".[1][2][3][4] She influenced early rock-and-roll musicians, including Little Richard, Johnny Cash, Carl Perkins, Chuck Berry, Elvis Presley and Jerry Lee Lewis.[5][6][7]

Tharpe was a pioneer in her guitar technique; she was among the first popular recording artists to use heavy distortion on her electric guitar, presaging the rise of electric blues. Her guitar playing technique had a profound influence on the development of British blues in the 1960s; in particular a European tour with Muddy Waters in 1964 with a stop in Manchester on 7 May is cited by prominent British guitarists such as Eric Clapton, Jeff Beck, and Keith Richards.[8]
http://www.jazzmusicarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=28523&PID=130446&title=various-ways-you-can-help-ukraine#130446
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Easy Money Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2020 at 10:28
^ If anyone wants to read more about the birth of rock n roll, I highly recommend Preston Lauterbach's "The Chitlin Circuit and the Road to Rock n Roll", a fun read that contains numerous interviews and in depth conversations with people who were there when rock n roll and RnB came out of black church music and jump blues.
There is a reason why the young Elvis preferred to go to Beale Street for his entertainment and inspiration.

Edited by Easy Money - September 23 2020 at 10:29
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2020 at 10:33
^ Not to mention all three main avenues to rock and roll, those being blues, jazz and country music, all originated with black performers.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2020 at 10:34
Pfff. Everyone knows that the Beatles invented rock & roll. Wink
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2020 at 10:59
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

^  Should be interesting. If only this question was addressed to boboulo/svetonio.

Bro, you should be banned from PA for suggesting this........Been good knowin ya!
LOL
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Easy Money Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2020 at 11:05

Bro, you should be banned from PA for suggesting this........Been good knowin ya!
LOL
By the way, I saw that same EW&F tour you saw in 77. That concert became the "Gratitude" album. Opening act was Ramsey Lewis playing psychedelic African fusion with members of EWF joining him on many numbers. One of the best concerts I ever saw.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2020 at 11:36
Originally posted by Easy Money Easy Money wrote:

LOL
By the way, I saw that same EW&F tour you saw in 77. That concert became the "Gratitude" album. Opening act was Ramsey Lewis playing psychedelic African fusion with members of EWF joining him on many numbers. One of the best concerts I ever saw.
Saw them at the LA Forum, somewhere in a box I still have the full page concert add that was in the Sunday LA Times Calendar section.....Probably unreadable but what the heck.
I've seen EW&F probably 7-8x, just here in PNW seen them 3x. First time I saw them was Cal Jam I in '74....sadly I don't recall ELP since they came on after midnight, I was 10yrs old and my aunt and uncle took me we left, I think, after Deep Purple.....
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2020 at 11:52
Plus, let's be real. I don't think there would be alternative "theories." Theories require so much research until, while they can't be "proven" in an empirical sense, they can't be "disproven" either. So most of what has been said is based in historical fact or is potentially a theory. One may have an alternative "hypothesis," but if one is about to argue that the basis of rock and many other genres can't be mostly attributed to black artists, you'd need a lot of evidence to call it a theory. So bring on the evidence.

(You could argue I'm applying scientific method practices to a historical question, but whatever, there's your daily dose of pedantic BS.)
tdfloyd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tdfloyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2020 at 17:08
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

In my world, prog can NEVER go too far. I want it as complex as humanly possible even though i love traditional "normal" or popular safeness as well.

There's the kind of music that you can hear when you turn on the radio then there's the kind of music you typically can't hear on the radio and you can only hear in the comfort of your home. I like both also. For me prog is just this other place you can go. It's true that it might at times seem like going to a foreign country or another planet but that's what makes it interesting.

Out of all the posts about "what is prog?", this is probably the best definition!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678