Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

PA Album of the Year Discussion thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 12>
Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2023 at 18:00
My radio show this week and next week will be feature by top 50 on the year across all genres not just prog, though there's a lot of prog.

Poil Udea was a revelation this year never expected that combination of French punk prog and Japanese mediaeval opera to mesh but it really works. Saw them live in Canada at FIMAV, stunning. The ni was the other big surprise for me, even more math metal than previously and it really tears it up.

The Sprain album on your list Logan will probably end up on mine, bought it today and really enjoying it. Others you me and Mike seem to agree on is Swans.

Need to check out the Kilter they are on my list to explore.

Edited by Nogbad_The_Bad - December 30 2023 at 18:07
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2023 at 18:02
^ Excellent! I will listen to your podcast.

That Sprain album I liked more and more. I think it could potentially become a minor classic.

Edited by Logan - December 30 2023 at 18:19
mathman0806 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2023 at 18:15
^^I just listened to that ni album for the first time today. It's a stunner. "Math metal" is an apt description. I added to my list and will likely move up over time. Need a few more listens before I move it up in my rankings.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2023 at 22:08
Talking of The Poil Ueda album it seems to be coming up twice in the 1st and 3rd selction below when I do a search. Are these really 2 different albums? (my streaming service doesn't seem to have both but it does have Poil & Junko Ueda album as well as the later Yosh*tsune album. Thanks.

MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2023 at 01:58
^ Yes, that third release was a duplicate entry, I've just deleted it. There are still some duplicate entries in the database - this year we added more than 13k releases. Duplicates are relatively easy to deal with (by merging releases).
Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2023 at 08:47
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

^ Yeah, me too. I had hoped it might become more interactive like with the Interactive polls where people comment on each other's choices, compare notes, recommend to others.

I would love that, as well. I am going to take time to go through these, and give a listen to those who sound of interest.  Those Interactive Polls were great!
"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2023 at 10:08
Originally posted by Snicolette Snicolette wrote:

^ Yeah, me too. I had hoped it might become more interactive like with the Interactive polls where people comment on each other's choices, compare notes, recommend to others.

I would love that, as well. I am going to take time to go through these, and give a listen to those who sound of interest.  Those Interactive Polls were great!

I'd like to do one again. And I hope Lorenzo is doing well, as well as Mila and others who were regulars but not much or at all at this site now. In fact, I thought about making one for some of our favourite out-of-PA tracks of this year. I will. On second-thought, I'll make it open to any tracks of the year. Not only did I love the Interactive Polls themselves, but it felt like a wonderful little online community to me.

Edited by Logan - December 31 2023 at 10:24
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2023 at 11:00
Originally posted by Snicolette Snicolette wrote:

/QUOTE]

I'd like to do one again. And I hope Lorenzo is doing well, as well as Mila and others who were regulars but not much or at all at this site now. In fact, I thought about making one for some of our favourite out-of-PA tracks of this year. I will. On second-thought, I'll make it open to any tracks of the year. Not only did I love the Interactive Polls themselves, but it felt like a wonderful little online community to me.[/QUOTE]

I got pretty busy with other committments, and didn't have new input to add for some of the last of those polls.  It was really nice, I got to "know" a lot more people in here, with the discussions.  
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2023 at 13:03

An Interactive Poll without Nickie is like a Christmas without Saint Nick -- less wondrous (Saint Nicholas was also known as Nicholas the Wonderworker). Reminds me, I hope Nick (from New Zealand) is doing alright. Really miss his presence.

Awwww, thank you!  And yes to Nick from NZ also, I think he's laying low lately.  Lorenzo too, those polls were his brainchild.  

Edited by Snicolette - December 31 2023 at 13:09
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2023 at 18:50
Originally posted by mathman0806 mathman0806 wrote:

Updated my list to include some non-PA artists and a lot of other artists I listened to over the past couple of weeks. My original #20 album is now #49. 

I also moved up American Mystic by Dream the Electric Sleep. This was a surprise to me as I am not so much into AOR crossover prog these days but this is a really catchy album. Couldn't get it out of my head. I have their 2014 album Heretics, which made #9 in the collaborators' poll that year. I wasn't so keen on their following two albums, but this one came up on my Bandcamp feed and stuck.

My votes for AOTY 2023 1. Swans - The Beggar [Bandcamp] [Spotify] {ap:63656} 2. Pixie Ninja - Hypnagogia [Bandcamp] {ap:64604} 3. Jack O' The Clock - The Warm, Dark Circus [Bandcamp] [Spotify] {ap:66311} 4. [AP Non-Prog] Hidden Orchestra - To Dream is to Forget [Bandcamp] [Spotify] {ap:67828} 5. [AP] Go Go Machine Orchestra - Symbol [Bandcamp] [Spotify] {ap:66186} 6. The Mercury Tree - Self Similar [Bandcamp] [Spotify] {ap:65620} 7. Ultraphauna - No No No No [Bandcamp] [Spotify] {ap:55293} 8. La Theorie Des Cordes - 4u-9525 [Bandcamp] [Spotify] {ap:63207} 9. PoiL - Poil Ueda [Bandcamp] [Spotify] {ap:55644} 10. Dream The Electric Sleep - American Mystic [Bandcamp] [Spotify] {ap:64083} 11. Squid - O Monolith [Bandcamp] [Spotify] {ap:55683} 12. ALL HANDS_MAKE LIGHT - "Darling the Dawn" [Bandcamp] [Spotify] {ap:66339} 13. [AP Non-Prog] Geese - 3D Country [Bandcamp] [Spotify] {ap:64940} 14. Goat - Medicine [Bandcamp] [Spotify] {ap:66299} 15. Karmic Juggernaut - Phantasmagloria [Bandcamp] [Spotify] {ap:55653} 16. Agusa - Prima Materia [Bandcamp] [Spotify] {ap:64672} 17. PoiL - Poil Ueda: Yosh*tsune [Bandcamp] [Spotify] {ap:65795} 18. [AP Prog] TEKE::TEKE - Hagata {ap:66363} 19. Teeth Of The Sea - Hive [Bandcamp] {ap:65940} 20. Emme Phyzema - Trying Not To Try [Bandcamp] [Spotify] {ap:65837} 21. [AP Prog] HMLTD - The Worm [Bandcamp] [Spotify] {ap:55394} 22. [AP Prog] lespecial - Odd Times [Bandcamp] [Spotify] {ap:66028} 23. The Fierce & The Dead - News From The Invisible World [Bandcamp] [Spotify] {ap:63479} 24. ni - Fol Naïs [Bandcamp] {ap:65746} 25. [AP Prog] Zhorhann - Ainsi Parlait Hominina [Bandcamp] [Spotify] {ap:65847} 26. Seven Impale - Summit [Bandcamp] [Spotify] {ap:55305} 27. [AP Prog] Monika Roscher Bigband - Witchy Activities And The Maple Death [Bandcamp] [Spotify] {ap:64093} 28. Kong - Traders Of Truth [Bandcamp] [Spotify] {ap:54889} 29. Steven Wilson - The Harmony Codex [Spotify] {ap:64581} 30. Crown Lands - Fearless [Bandcamp] [Spotify] {ap:55192} 31. Sonar - Three Movements [Bandcamp] [Spotify] {ap:63707} 32. King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard - PetroDragonic Apocalypse [Bandcamp] [Spotify] {ap:63750} 33. [AP Prog-Adj] Queens of the Stone Age - In Times New Roman... [Bandcamp] {ap:63651} 34. Zopp - Dominion [Bandcamp] [Spotify] {ap:54131} 35. Haken - Fauna [Bandcamp] [Spotify] {ap:53972} 36. Gong - Unending Ascending [Bandcamp] [Spotify] {ap:65673} 37. Plank! - Future Of The Sea [Bandcamp] [Spotify] {ap:53445} 38. Peter Gabriel - i/o [Bandcamp] [Spotify] {ap:55497} 39. [AP Prog] Yumi Hara - Groove Study [Bandcamp] {ap:67906} 40. Thee Oh Sees - Intercepted Message [Bandcamp] [Spotify] {ap:65750} 41. [AP Non-Prog] Algiers - Shook [Bandcamp] [Spotify] {ap:67914} 42. Agitation Free - Momentum [Spotify] {ap:65971} 43. Atsuko Chiba - Water, It Feels Like It's Growing [Bandcamp] [Spotify] {ap:53141} 44. Battlestations - Memoirs Of Once [Bandcamp] {ap:63630} 45. Battlestations - Splinters, Vol. Iii: Ravage {ap:67517} 46. Light - The Path [Bandcamp] [Spotify] {ap:54283} 47. Vespero - De Ludo Globi [Bandcamp] [Spotify] {ap:67398} 48. Roz Vitalis - Quia Nesciunt Quid Faciunt [Bandcamp] [Spotify] {ap:66767} 49. Nolan Potter's Nightmare Band - Honey [Bandcamp] {ap:65329}  
{ap-meta:topic-aoty-2023:user-10131:ts-1704035481166} 

Dream The Electric Sleep - Heretics may have been my number one for that year, phenomenal album.
I was pleased to see them come back this year after a long absence but I'm not feeling it just yet.
In terms of dense guitar based albums I'm really enjoying Built The Future - 2084:Heretic (title is a bit of a coincidence!) and would say they have taken Dream The Electric Sleep's territory somewhat.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2024 at 17:20
^ Nice! The first time the Yves Tumor release is listed, also one of the top releases of 2023 according to RYM.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2024 at 01:06
updated to include Built For The Future - 2084:Heretic. 

Edited by richardh - January 02 2024 at 01:09
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2024 at 07:57
Happy new year! I know you've been waiting with anticipation, and here it is ... the aoty poll for 2024!

Well, hear me out. I know that it's a bit early, but imagine that every time you ran across a great release (of 2024) in the coming months, you would enter it in your list. Occasionally you could post it, or one of the monthly lists, if you feel like doing so. But as 2024 will (inevitably) draw to a close next December, you will have all of your favorite releases ready to submit! Smile 

Just as a proof of concept, I'll kick things off with a VERY preliminary list of one release for 2024, the first one I heard - and it's quite good!
My votes for Best of 2024

{ap-meta:topic-aoty-2024:user-508:ts-1704293900012}

Edited by MikeEnRegalia - January 03 2024 at 07:58
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2024 at 08:09
I'd suggest putting 2024 in a separate thread or it will get horribly confusing.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2024 at 08:12
^ Sure! My script will pick up all the polls from all the threads you set up, but of course we should keep things separated. I don't expect anyone to start posting lists any time soon, so maybe we don't even need that thread yet. Consider it a sneak peek ...
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2024 at 10:08
^ when you use the tool to build the list, editing is quite easy Smile
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2024 at 10:11
Originally posted by MikeEnRegalia MikeEnRegalia wrote:

^ when you use the tool to build the list, editing is quite easy Smile

what tool? Confused
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2024 at 10:41
^ This tool" https://awesomeprog.com/aoty-poll which is used to enter your lists, then copy the list with code into this topic, and it tallies and collates the data,and provides links. I think it's fantastic.

Here's how this works:

• At AP (AwesomeProg.com) I have linked almost all of the PA releases of 2023 in the database, which enables me to provide some tools for Progarchives.
  • One of these tools is available now to help tallying the votes for the PA album of the year poll (this thread).
  • The idea is that everyone uses this tool (hosted at AP) to build their list of releases and them posts the generated code in this thread.
  • Using this tool provides some benefits: 1) the votes are tallied automatically, reducing the probability of errors, 2) the process ensures that each PA forum user can only cast one vote, 3) each user can update their votes as often as they like without causing more effort for the calculation and 4) when all the votes are in (probably end of January 2024) the tool can generate the results as a forum post in this thread automatically.
Here's the link to the tool: https://awesomeprog.com/aoty-poll

If you want to participate, please go to that page. You will be able to select and sort your favorite PA releases of 2023, and the result will be a text that you can copy and paste into a reply in this thread. Feel free to do this repeatedly, you can update your post here with a new list or post a new reply.

I will then, from time to time, collect your lists in this thread. Whenever I collect them, the preliminary results, which are also shown on my website on the tool page, will automatically be updated.

Note: If a release seems to be missing, please search for it using the search box in the title bar of the AP website. Note that we are excluding singles, demos and videos for this poll, but you should be able to add studio albums, EPs, soundtracks, live albums and compilations. If you can find the release at AP, it is not properly linked to PA. You can fix that yourself by adding a link to PA on the release page (you need an AP account for that), but you can also notify me via the feedback form on AP, and might be able to do it for you. The same goes for any other problems with specific releases, please just ping me or mention it in this thread.

Here's my current list. You'll notice the markers at the end of each line. Please do not remove them, they are what enables the automatic counting.

1. King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard - PetroDragonic Apocalypse {ap:63750} [etc.]

There you can choose albums that are both in Prog Archives and not included in PA (in some case those may to be added to Awesome Prog, and some one might wish to add to PA as I have in several cases).

Note: It might good to re-post the system on every page in a simplified form so that it's less likely to be missed. I wish it could be like an announcement on every page automatically of the topic.

Edited by Logan - January 04 2024 at 10:45
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2024 at 14:10
^ Nice list from what I know of it.

Just a thought, but I know that some can have all sorts of technical issues when it comes to such things, possibly because they have yet to upgrade from their Apple II's (at least they upgraded from an Altair 8800), but if it happens to prove to off-puttingly challenging for some people to use the "tool" despite trying, I would still like to be able to add those lists to the results.

If anyone has problems, please mention them. Others might have the same issues. This works best the more that people participate.

Here's how this works:

• At AP (AwesomeProg.com) I have linked almost all of the PA releases of 2023 in the database, which enables me to provide some tools for Progarchives.
  • One of these tools is available now to help tallying the votes for the PA album of the year poll (this thread).
  • The idea is that everyone uses this tool (hosted at AP) to build their list of releases and them posts the generated code in this thread.
  • Using this tool provides some benefits: 1) the votes are tallied automatically, reducing the probability of errors, 2) the process ensures that each PA forum user can only cast one vote, 3) each user can update their votes as often as they like without causing more effort for the calculation and 4) when all the votes are in (probably end of January 2024) the tool can generate the results as a forum post in this thread automatically.
Here's the link to the tool: https://awesomeprog.com/aoty-poll

If you want to participate, please go to that page. You will be able to select and sort your favorite PA releases of 2023, and the result will be a text that you can copy and paste into a reply in this thread. Feel free to do this repeatedly, you can update your post here with a new list or post a new reply.

I will then, from time to time, collect your lists in this thread. Whenever I collect them, the preliminary results, which are also shown on my website on the tool page, will automatically be updated.

Note: If a release seems to be missing, please search for it using the search box in the title bar of the AP website. Note that we are excluding singles, demos and videos for this poll, but you should be able to add studio albums, EPs, soundtracks, live albums and compilations. If you can find the release at AP, it is not properly linked to PA. You can fix that yourself by adding a link to PA on the release page (you need an AP account for that), but you can also notify me via the feedback form on AP, and might be able to do it for you. The same goes for any other problems with specific releases, please just ping me or mention it in this thread.

Here's my current list. You'll notice the markers at the end of each line. Please do not remove them, they are what enables the automatic counting.

1. King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard - PetroDragonic Apocalypse {ap:63750} [etc.]

Edited by Logan - January 04 2024 at 14:12
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2024 at 15:16
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

I didn't know there was a tool either. Here's my list. Kanaan is considered non-Prog but it's on PA and I couldn't find the new Causa Sui live album:

Yes, the Kanaan release was not linked (and is tagged as non-prog at RYM which got imported at AP), I corrected that. I also added and linked the Causa Sui live album.Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 12>