Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedLed Zeppelin?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2006 at 17:36
^ Thanks. I'm not saying that my system is perfect ... I'm just removing the need for "admin decisions" and replace them with democratic voting. So there is no person or team to blame ... there are only members, all of them are equal.

Of course this means that the quality of the "collaborative decisions" depends on the quality of the votes. There are some quite peculiar genre assignments on my website, but some others which are quite accurate. The more users participate, the more accurate the system will be.

I thought about whether I should remove the prog-related thing from my website a few months ago ... then I realized: It just has a different meaning. It simply means "this is seen as non-prog by many people, but some consider it to be related to prog, and a few even put it on the same level".
Greg W View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2006 at 19:03
Heh, heh.

At one time this would have shocked me, but not ever since the Beatles have been added.

Personally I think ALL the so-called Proto Prog and Prog Related bands is a bunch of rubbish, but, in the end, who really cares?

I just will ignore the fact they're here and carry on my business discovering REAL  prog gems.

My only concern now is placing Proto and Prog related in the top 100. It sort of spoils the wole list by tainting them with non prog or(if you will) proggish pop/rock

MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2006 at 20:38
Originally posted by Easy Livin Easy Livin wrote:

In fact Mike, "The admins" have made very few decisions to date.

Led Zeppelin was approved by M@x (the site owner). The Admin team's only decisions to date have been to admit Iron Maiden, and to reject My Dying Bride. Rainbow were approved by M@x and the Admin team together. And that's the lot.

We have not "refused" the Doors, no one has asked us. Same goes for JP and BS.

Thanks for clarifying that. But by "admin decisions" I wasn't referring to you or any other member of the admin teams of progarchives. I was simply comparing collaborative decisions (majority vote) to those made by a minority (such as an admin, or a team of admins, or a team of collabs). And I certainly didn't mean to criticise anybody.

We don't admit "any band from any genre" on this site because it is dedicated to prog. The differences arise in people's perceptions of what prog is. For every one person who agrees with your implication that The Doors are equal to or above Led Zeppelin in terms of their prog (related) credentials, there will be someone else who thinks the opposite.

My opinion is irrelevant here, and I didn't state it. I was simply saying that there are many people who claim that The Doors should be here.Smile

The admin team will simply endeavour to ensure that any proposed prog-related additions meet the criteria of the definition of that category. We readily acknowledge that such a judgement will be subjective, but at least a decision will be reached.

That's precisely the point. On my website I avoid these decisions completely - it's a different system. I'm not implying that it's better, or that it's even good to start with. But I'm implementing it anyway ... we'll see what happens.

Another side benefit of the process will be that we can ensure if necessary that there is not an overload of prog-related bands being added around the same time.

But that's also causing some problems ... by adding one band at a time you arouse those who favor the other bands. When Iron Maiden were added some people demanded that Judas Priest should be here if Iron Maiden are here, and they got turned down by SCs and admins, who kept talking about "that's not a reason to add bands" ...

Well, I don't have a problem with all of this ... I'm running my own little website and don't let anything bother me.Big smile

Edited by MikeEnRegalia - November 29 2006 at 20:40
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678