Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhy don't most people love our beloved music?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 11>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2011 at 12:35
Everybody kows the world has two types of music - my kind and every one else's. And even my kind isn't always so great - David Byrne

There. That pretty much sums it up.

cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2011 at 15:46
Originally posted by Harry Hood Harry Hood wrote:

Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

Prog was also most popular in the 1970's, when marijuana was widely available & commonly used!  Even the musicians used it (many of them anyway) from what I've read.....TFTO was supposedly conceived during a trans-Atlantic flight, when the band Yes were stoned on hash brownies!! 

Concerts in the 1970's were so thick with pot smoke that you could barely see the stage.  These days, concerts are so antiseptic that they are not nearly the "event' that they used to be.  

If anything marijuana is more widely used and available now than it ever was back then. In the 70's pot was much more demonized and something of a niche, but these days it's become a major part of popular culture (despite it's illegality), and you can even get a prescription to use it legally in some parts of the world. You can't smoke in venues anymore but that's simply because you can't smoke in venues anymore. But the correlation between decreased marijuana use and decreased prog popularity is just silly.

Were you around back then?  This article discusses our yearly pot celebration, in the wide-open central quad, at the University of Illinois back in the 1970's:

Sorry, you kids have nothing on us old geezers!  We had well-stocked head-shops, guys selling pot door-to-door, and openly smoking right on campus.  This was when Starcastle were just starting to take off.  

JeanFrame View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2011 at 07:45
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

Originally posted by JeanFrame JeanFrame wrote:

I suppose we have a liking for complexity and invention, whereas the mainstream tends to prefer familiarity and convention. 

So why does the pop music of today sound starkly different from the pop music of the 50s? Uh, sure, there are retro acts trying to evoke the sounds of the past but that doesn't mean all pop music is exactly the way it used to be back then.  How much of today's pop music would have been found conventional 50 years earlier, I wonder.  These things are not so cut and dry and we have to also consider that not everyone has the stamina or energy to read and gather information about emerging music or less popular music so they get influenced by what the media promotes in the mainstream.  Perhaps, if something daring did get promoted in the mainstream, they may be more receptive to it than we like to believe.  Progheads in the current scenario can network with other progheads on the net and keep tabs on new prog acts but not all progheads keep pace with trends in other genres of music.  Some progheads are not interested in electronic music which is all over the mainstream, for instance.  It's tough, at the end of the day, to devote attention to more than one scene. 

I don't mean the mainstream remains static; it tends to be dragged along by general progress, though digging in its heels.
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2011 at 11:28
This is one reason why...lol
Vibrationbaby View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2011 at 13:43
I am so glad that my friends don't refer to me as a progrock fan. They just say he's into all this wild sh*t. f**k prog. I love music that dares to go wherever. I actually hate this prog label.  Really I do. I love music.
RoyFairbank View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2011 at 15:51
The reason people hate prog is because its too confined in its own specificities. You have to be familiar and like the whole rock thing to like it. Prog is very deliberate. Someone mentioned about rap and the simple following of the rhythm at the end of each line.... That's a construct prog fans aren't so comfortable with, and likewise for rap fans vis a vis prog.

Pop really borrows from everything, its goal is to follow the trends and meet the expectations of the music business. I don't feel its an independent genre. Rap also borrows from pop, but its got some clear identifiers. 4/4 time is used by everybody, and some historical pop is very good, in fact at one time Rock was the pop of the era (1960s).  
Prog_Traveller View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2011 at 17:08
Because they are morons? ;)

I just got back from Rosfest and there were maybe 600 people there. 600 people out of six billion(actually well over 6 billion). How many prog albums sell over 6,000 copies these days? Not many.
Alitare View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2011 at 18:48
Originally posted by Prog_Traveller Prog_Traveller wrote:

I just got back from Rosfest and there were maybe 600 people there. 600 people out of six billion(actually well over 6 billion). How many prog albums sell over 6,000 copies these days? Not many.

Maybe if they weren't so stuck up on being unmemorable, melodically uninventive, needlessly complicated, and rehashed, maybe they'd sell better. ;)
Slaughternalia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2011 at 23:25
Originally posted by Alitare Alitare wrote:

Maybe if they weren't so stuck up on being unmemorable, melodically uninventive, needlessly complicated, and rehashed, maybe they'd sell better. ;)
That must be the problem. I mean the charts these days are overflowing with innovation!
Alitare View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2011 at 00:01
Originally posted by Slaughternalia Slaughternalia wrote:

Originally posted by Alitare Alitare wrote:

That must be the problem. I mean the charts these days are overflowing with innovation!

Who's talkin' charts, pal? I mean, Slayer never got much on the charts, but they still sold 'well'. Don't misconstrue my wording to say I prefer Lady Gaga to Jethro Tull, that's silly-willy, but I do prefer Lady GaGa to the nth generation of Dream theater's clones' clones' clones, ya dig? Woohoo! Ya played a G note for half an hour in 7/4! Now write somet'in' catchy, ya talentless hack! (I would say to the rippers off of the rippers off of the rippers off, the guys who liked Rush, but were so stoned while listening to Hemispheres that they couldn't even get their thievery on spot when playing what have you).
Billy Pilgrim View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2011 at 06:45
I'll drop my two cents on this. Honestly I've been listening to allot of different music lately, even popular music that gets played on the radio, it's bad but it's catchy and easy to listen to. I think that music sometimes can reflect peoples personalities and music can be very powerful weather we give it the credit or not. It definitely affects our thoughts, and when people are listening to "F@@k you I'll shank you" music, yeah that's kind of a problem. Why prog is seen as some sort of music savior I do not know, maybe because it makes it's listeners feel superior to a certain extent. Basically, it's music, enjoy it, who cares if no one else does. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2011 at 10:50
i would even put the f**king Beatles above this rot.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2011 at 10:54
A national embarassment. Makes me sick to know that she is even within miles of me.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2011 at 10:51

Do I look lke a goof ?  Well maybe sometimes. A lot of people say, they let this guy near an aeroplane? Actually one of my navs felt very safe with me.  If you want a hero photo I'll try and get one. How do you like the Rick Wakeman Chair?.

Edited by Vibrationbaby - May 26 2011 at 10:53
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2011 at 13:14

Why don't most people love our beloved music?

Because we don't even like most of it ourselves!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2011 at 14:03
i f**king hate prog. I am a sucker for punishment. A sado- masochist. The worst progrock band has to be Gentle Giant. Octopus has to be worse than Céline's  At least Derek did the right thing and discovered Jon Bon Jovi. I hate prog that's why I listen to the goddamnn crap every day.
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2011 at 15:04
Originally posted by Tapfret Tapfret wrote:

Why don't most people love our beloved music?

Because we don't even like most of it ourselves!

Clap
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2011 at 15:10
I just figured out why we hate our music. It's because we are not people. 
Turillazzo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2011 at 13:44
I don't like saying that other people are just stupid, but I think that often they don't want to pay enough attention to what they hear. That's simply lazyness.
7headedchicken View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2011 at 15:12
I think there are many reasons, and it's different for everyone.  Some people would probably love prog if they were exposed to it, some people may have heard it and just need to hear it a little bit more, some people are closed-minded, and in some rare cases, some may even be physically allergic to it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 11>