Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDoes religion have a place in Prog music?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6789>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2014 at 13:36
Originally posted by Epignosis Epignosis wrote:

I thought it was rather explicit, really.

Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

...then the listener cannot hope to understand them. The lyric is then unimportant ...

I don't agree that a listener being unable to understand the lyrics renders the lyrics unimportant.  No need to be dismissive.
You say dismissive and I say exasperated. 
You say explicit, and I say implicit.
Dismissive, exasperated; explicit, implicit...
Let's call the whole thing off.

The word I used was implicit and that was the word I thought meant, I stand corrected. "If the listener cannot understand the language the lyric is sung in then the meaning of the lyric is unimportant to the listener." ~ I'm really struggling to see what is wrong with that, and why you find it to be so objectionable. If not knowing the meaning does not affect the listeners enjoyment of the song then how can it be important? If people can enjoy songs in Italian without being able to understand Italian, or in Loxian or Kobaļan then how can the meaning of the lyrics be important to those people?

I have never intended to imply that the lyrics were unimportant in their own right or that they serve no useful purpose. That would be a stupid thing to say, and while I am often prone to say stupid things, I never purposely set-out to say stupid things. (except for a cheap laugh).

What about the section of "Awaken" that is relevant to our discussion?  Yes could have had Howe record the vocal melody with his guitar instead, but they chose the human voice, which is capable of producing morphemes.  I have no idea what those lyrics mean, but if, instead of "Awaken gentle mass touch," Anderson had sung, "Awaken w**ker mass touch," it would change my appreciation of the piece, even though I still don't have any clue what he's singing about.
The quote you picked-up on said: " If you don't understand the words then they cannot be important" . Clearly you understands the words "gentle" and "w*nker", ergo they have a degree of importance. Equally clear is "w*nker" is an offensive word and therefore in or out of context can affect appreciation, but how about substituting a word of equal offensive-value to "gentle" such as "fragrant", "total", "khatru", or (if you want to keep your adjective->noun substitution) "tailfly"? Do any of those alter appreciation of the piece?

Edited by Dean - August 08 2014 at 13:38
What?
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2014 at 13:55

...<span style="font-size: 12px; line-height: 1.2;">then the listener cannot hope to understand them. The lyric is then unimportant</span><span style="font-size: 12px; line-height: 1.2;"> ...</span>
I don't agree that a listener being unable to understand the lyrics renders the lyrics unimportant.  No need to be dismissive.
You say dismissive and I say exasperated. 
<span style="font-size: 12px; line-height: 1.2;">You say explicit, and I say implicit.</span>
<span style="font-size: 12px; line-height: 1.2;">D</span><span style="font-size: 12px; line-height: 1.2;">ismissive, exasperated; </span><span style="font-size: 12px; line-height: 1.2;">explicit, implicit...</span>
<span style="font-size: 12px; line-height: 1.2;">Let's call the whole thing off.</span>

The word I used was implicit and that was the word I thought meant, I stand corrected. "If the listener cannot understand the language the lyric is sung in then the meaning of the lyric is unimportant <span style="font-size: 12px; line-height: 1.2;">to the listener.</span><span style="font-size: 12px; line-height: 1.2;">" ~ I'm really struggling to see what is wrong with that, and why you find it to be so objectionable. If not knowing the meaning does not affect the listeners enjoyment of the song then how can it be important? If people can enjoy songs in Italian without being able to understand Italian, or in Loxian or </span><span style="font-size: 12px; line-height: 1.2;">Kobaļan</span><span style="font-size: 12px; line-height: 1.2;"> then how can the meaning of the lyrics be important to those people?</span>
I have never intended to imply that the lyrics were unimportant in their own right or that they serve no useful purpose. That would be a stupid thing to say, and while I am often prone to say stupid things, I never purposely set-out to say stupid things. (except for a cheap laugh).

What about the section of "Awaken" that is relevant to our discussion?  Yes could have had Howe record the vocal melody with his guitar instead, but they chose the human voice, which is capable of producing morphemes.  I have no idea what those lyrics mean, but if, instead of "Awaken gentle mass touch," Anderson had sung, "Awaken w**ker mass touch," it would change my appreciation of the piece, even though I still don't have any clue what he's singing about.
The quote you picked-up on said: "<span style="font-size: 12px; line-height: 1.2;"> </span><b style="font-size: 12px; line-height: 1.2;">If you don't understand the words then they cannot be important<span style="font-size: 12px; line-height: 1.2;">" . Clearly you understands the words "gentle" and "w*nker", ergo they have a degree of importance. </span><span style="font-size: 12px; line-height: 1.2;">Equally clear is "w*nker" is an offensive word and therefore in or out of context can affect appreciation, but how </span><span style="font-size: 12px; line-height: 1.2;">about</span><span style="font-size: 12px; line-height: 1.2;"> </span><span style="font-size: 12px; line-height: 1.2;">substituting a word of equal offensive-value to "gentle" such as "fragrant", "total", "khatru", or (if you want to keep your adjective->noun substitution) "tailfly"? Do any of those alter appreciation of the piece?</span>
<span style="font-size: 12px; line-height: 1.2;"></span>

I agree. Epignosis drifted from using as an example someone who doesn't know any English to using himself in first person, as someone who knows no less than two words. What I'm scratching my head about is what the offensive word might be.
BTW, I can't help myself, but, technically, the human voice doesn't produce morphemes. The brain does.

Edited by HackettFan - August 08 2014 at 14:18
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2014 at 14:16
Originally posted by Gerinski Gerinski wrote:

Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

^My point Gerard is that we don't need to actually understand lyrics, just hearing a human voice adds a connection to the music. Then why not just listen to instrumental prog music only. It is out there, after all.

Precisely, it is out there, and quite a lot of it, and people listen to it. If it was as you say, instrumental music would be marginal. Whether music is mostly instrumental or mostly sung is a matter of trends, as Dean said the most popular music has been instrumental for a large part of history, classical, modernist, bluegrass, dixie, big-band, much of jazz, quite some psychedelic, electronic, new age... Prog descends mainly from Pop-Rock, which is a mostly sung type of music, and so it embraced also vocals as a main instrument, but I don't think you can generalise saying that instrumental Prog lacks some connection with the listener.
I take exception to this one point put forward by both Dean and you. The music that is the topic of discussion is not instrumental classical, jazz, Dixie, big-band or Texas Swing. It is Progressive Rock music that is predominately lyric based, if you wish to acknowledge that fact or not, and the existence and history of other instrumental genres has nothing to do with my argument.

Edited by SteveG - August 08 2014 at 16:29
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2014 at 14:33
The message or meaning of a lyric is not the only reason lyrics are written, which is why I objected.  Even if I don't understand a particular song, the words have phonetic attributes that still play a role in the overall aesthetic. 

The quote you picked-up on said: " If you don't understand the words then they cannot be important" . Clearly you understands the words "gentle" and "w*nker", ergo they have a degree of importance. Equally clear is "w*nker" is an offensive word and therefore in or out of context can affect appreciation, but how about substituting a word of equal offensive-value to "gentle" such as "fragrant", "total", "khatru", or (if you want to keep your adjective->noun substitution) "tailfly"? Do any of those alter appreciation of the piece?

I've read that Jon Anderson would often write lyrics for their sound rather than their meaning (or that the meaning would come to him after the fact).  Sometimes he uses English words, sometimes he uses what appear to be made up words entirely (like with "The Ancient").  So in the case of "Awaken," my appreciation of these piece would probably change based on the structure of those lines.  I find that "Awaken gentle mass touch" works well.  "Awaken tailfly mass touch" or "Awaken fragrant mass touch" would not work as well because (to my ear) the flow of the syllables is interrupted.

Sure I may know what the meanings of those independent words are, but I don't understand their meaning as they relate to the song.  My opinion is that good lyrics will have qualities that affect the piece beyond their meaning.  I may not know Italian, but I can still appreciate the sound of the words.  Perhaps the meaning of those Italian lyrics are unimportant to me, but the lyrics themselves would not be (which is what you stated).

ShiNe&DyE View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2014 at 14:33
I think lyrics are barely important in progressive rock anyway.
I don't care what the lyrics talk about in music as long as it's something like "I'm sad because my boyfriend left me" or "weed,weed, weed is good, weed is great, I smoke weed".
I like lyrics that either tell a story, like in folk music or lyrics that are about an experience-don't care if it's a religious experience, there just needs to be passion for it.
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2014 at 15:08

Originally posted by Gerinski Gerinski wrote:

^My point Gerard is that we don't need to actually understand lyrics, just hearing a human voice adds a connection to the music. Then why not just listen to instrumental prog music only. It is out there, after all.

Precisely, it is out there, and quite a lot of it, and people listen to it. If it was as you say, instrumental music would be marginal. Whether music is mostly instrumental or mostly sung is a matter of trends, as Dean said the most popular music has been instrumental for a large part of history, classical, modernist, bluegrass, dixie, big-band, much of jazz, quite some psychedelic, electronic, new age... Prog descends mainly from Pop-Rock, which is a mostly sung type of music, and so it embraced also vocals as a main instrument, but I don't think you can generalise saying that instrumental Prog lacks some connection with the listener.
I take exception to this one point put forward by both Dean and you. The music that is the topic of discussion is not instrumental classical, jazz, Dixie, big-band or Texas Swing. It is Progressive Rock music that is predominately lyric based if you wish to acknowledge that fact or not, and the existence and history other instrumental genres has nothing to do with my argument.

^I don't know SG if I agree about the word 'predominantly', but allow me to concede for the time being that it is. Your comparison with Jazz and Classical is the wrong comparison. The right comparison is with other pop/mainstream music. That is what Prog fans define their identity and in that comparison, lyrics are indeed a less essential component. Even if lyrics still predominate in Prog (which depends a lot on what one listens to), pure instrumental excursions are crucial. It is crucial not to have lyrics at times, because lyrics are not as important to Prog fans. This is not always true probably even for any given fan. You are quite correct to point out that Prog has not completely eliminated its interest in lyrics, but lyric fatigue can also set in sometimes rather rapidly, even within discussion throughout the course of this thread. Given that Prog fans are very quick to downplay lyrics, however, you might indeed be providing a service in making plain the other side of the coin that is just maybe underplayed.

SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2014 at 15:23
^I appreciate you giving me some latitude HF, but it is Gerinski and Dean that have made comparisons to Classical and Jazz to support their counter arguments, not I. I agree with you that Progressive Rock is more correctly related with pop and rock music.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2014 at 17:11

I take exception to this one point put forward by both Dean and you. The music that is the topic of discussion is not instrumental classical, jazz, Dixie, big-band or Texas Swing. It is Progressive Rock music that is predominately lyric based, if you wish to acknowledge that fact or not, and the existence and history of other instrumental genres has nothing to do with my argument.
Ah-hem, you said: " There is a reason that the majority of the music that we enjoy listening to is not purely instrumental.

Exception overruled.

Edited by Dean - August 08 2014 at 17:11
What?
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2014 at 23:41

Edited by cstack3 - August 08 2014 at 23:43
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2014 at 05:47
I don't get how and why the question morphed from "does religion have a place in prog music" to a continuation of the importance-of-lyrics thread.  Anything that the artist chooses to put into the record has a place in it, as simple.  But there is no obligation on the listener to attach importance to all such aspects.  Therefore whether any religious overtones in the lyrics are important is entirely up to each listener's preferences.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2014 at 05:49

The message or meaning of a lyric is not the only reason lyrics are written, which is why I objected.  Even if I don't understand a particular song, the words have phonetic attributes that still play a role in the overall aesthetic.  

I've read that Jon Anderson would often write lyrics for their sound rather than their meaning (or that the meaning would come to him after the fact).  Sometimes he uses English words, sometimes he uses what appear to be made up words entirely (like with "The Ancient").  So in the case of "Awaken," my appreciation of these piece would probably change based on the structure of those lines.  I find that "Awaken gentle mass touch" works well.  "Awaken tailfly mass touch" or "Awaken fragrant mass touch" would not work as well because (to my ear) the flow of the syllables is interrupted.

Sure I may know what the meanings of those independent words are, but I don't understand their meaning as they relate to the song.  My opinion is that good lyrics will have qualities that affect the piece beyond their meaning.  I may not know Italian, but I can still appreciate the sound of the words.  Perhaps the meaning of those Italian lyrics are unimportant to me, but the lyrics themselves would not be (which is what you stated).

We are saying the same thing here, I see no difference in what I have said to what you are saying. If you cannot understand the meaning of the lyric then the meaning of that lyric is unimportant to your listening enjoyment. That is the only point I have been trying to convey, albeit ineptly I will admit (which is way I invariably write too much, in an attempt to qualify any statement I make).

The lyric is then unimportant, it is not the words but how they are sung, (and often the singer not the song). The voice as an instrument is not the same thing as lyrics as poetry. 

Perhaps if we look at it another way: several singers can sing the same lyric and we will usually have a preference for one over another. If we ignore the inevitable bias towards the "original version" (or sometimes "the version heard first"), then the lyric itself is of secondary importance to how it is sung and by whom. Of course on some level that is directly connected to the meaning of the lyric and how it is conveyed by the singer to the listener, and that can be measure of how much the singer understands the lyric too, or at least our impression of how well the singer understands them compared to our own understanding. However the number of instances where a singer doesn't "get" the song is probably small by comparison; it is rare that a singer changes the meaning of a lyric by how they sing it (diction, pronunciation, phrasing, delivery, etc), but they can affect our appreciation of it.

None of that make the lyric itself unimportant, that would still be a stupid thing to say, but on some level they are unimportant to the listener regardless of how well they are understood.

Back on topic - Religious-themed lyrics are obviously important to the lyrist and the artist, that does not imply they are important to the listener. 
What?
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2014 at 09:05
Gratuitous religion certainly does not...
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2014 at 09:25

...then the listener cannot hope to understand them. The lyric is then unimportant ...

Unimportant in so far as you know, since you are assuming that the person hearing it, can not understand it.

I could easily say the same thing for the ethnocentric folks here on this board that are scared to listen to French, Spanish, Italian and German and think that it is not prog music because of the lyrics are different and you don't understand them. Or my favorite ... Genesis is great because one will never hear Ange, who can not possibly be good!

Again, if the "voice" and "lyrics" are another instrument in the band, then it is all inclusive. But if the lyrics are kinda separated and have a commercial/social tone, to tell you that God is great, in my book, this is a lot less about the "music" and the "integration" of music and lyrics, than it is a Sunday morning sermon!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2014 at 09:38
^ You've never been, are not and never will be artist so give it up. Can anyone name a band or artist who has achieved global success with an avowedly/overtly Christian agenda? (and as a caveat, that their fan demographic is not predominantly Christian) I'm guessing that the answer is a resounding 'Nope' as such a demographic might be viable but is strictly 'niche' plus any established artists who have flirted with a spiritual agenda in the rawk marketplace invariably face kissing their secular careers a fond adieu. (Bob Dylan and Cat Stevens spring to mind but there must be others and yeah, both are strictly not even distantly proggy) It seems however a complete no-brainer that there are probably loads of Prog musicians who are devout believers in certain faiths but they have the nous to realise that proslytisation is a death warrant for their livelihoods. If God gave Rock and Roll to us he richly deserves to be mad as hell for not keeping the receipt.

Edited by ExittheLemming - August 09 2014 at 09:47
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2014 at 10:11

Ah-hem, you said: ">There is a reason that the majority of the music that we enjoy listening to is not purely instrumental."

Exception overruled.
My reponses the last few days have been short and quick as I am occupied with trying to straighten out a new home built recording studio of an associate. However, if I have to re-emphsize that the topic of discussion is Progressive Music, which was stated 2 lines earlier in the post, in order to avoid these petty semantic based arguments, then I will correct my statement. Hence: There is a reason that the majority the Progressive Rock music that we enjoy listening is not purely instrumental. Done. Rule me back in. These types of 'arguments' only convey to me a lack of a compelling argument on your part.

Edited by SteveG - August 09 2014 at 14:17
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2014 at 10:35

The Closing Bell: 29 For, 5 Against, 3 Not Determined and 7 Without Comment. After rechecking and rethinking some of the comments, I think the totals are pretty close. The reason I posted this thread, apart from the question about religion in Progressive Music, was to again call attention to the question How important are lyrics to you in Prog Music? It seems that they are important in regard to specific topics, so again I propose to argue that they are important to us and, if anything, perhaps even on some base psychological level. (No pyscho babel here, just using the term as an example). There is a reason that the majority of the music that we enjoy listening to is not purely instrumental. Perhaps we need a human connection to it, if even on some subconscious level, as my old pal Doctor Freud use to say. And no, I'm not as old as him.

Ah... no. You asked whether there was a place for religion in Prog - you didn't ask us whether religious lyrics were important. Two different things and frankly, no real correlation between them. You cannot infer from the replies that the lyrics are important or that anyone even listen to them unless they draw attention to themselves in some way. Most replies here suggest that they are tolerated as long as they aren't too preachy - which kinda suggests, like many people have been trying to say in the other thread, they are not important at all - however if they are intrusive (for example badly written or badly sung) then they are often disliked.

I explained my change  in topic in another post as the thread has run it's course. A lot was said, including some very profound statements, with no one getting their feelings hurt. Mission accomplished. Time to move on. But back to your statement about lyrics being tolerated as long as they are not preachy. I think you've looked at the  posted comments too narrowly. Many said that the lyrics were important as they were inspired and inspired the artist. Others said that the lyrics were uplifting even if they were not religious or did not follow a particular religious theme that was projected by the lyrics. Didn't you yourself say that we cannot generalize?

Edited by SteveG - August 09 2014 at 12:02
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2014 at 11:02

"There is a reason that the majority of Progesseive Music that we enjoy listening to is not purely instrumental "

Back to topic No.1., the comparison of Progressive Rock with other forms of 'popular' instrumental music is laughable as who were the populous that listened to 18th century Classical and Chamber music? Peasants and tenant farmers at home with their 9 volt transistor radios? And when this populous did listen to instrumental music, was it not Polkas, Jigs, Reels or Bluegress for folk dancing purposes only? And did this dance craze not also carry over later into Jazz and R&B forms like Swing and Big Band, again, more music to dance to? The first group was rarely listened to by the masses, the second grouping didn't require lyrics when they did listen to it, just a melody and a rhythm in order to 'cut a rug'. So let's put things back into perspective before I disappear back into the studio for awhile. (Probably for a long while). My argument is abstract. Everyone is welcome to examine it, think about it and accept it or dismiss it as they like. To argue against it is like arguing against (or even for)  the existence of God. It doesn't do any good, but everyone is completely free to do as they like.

Edited by SteveG - August 09 2014 at 14:20
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2014 at 13:13

[quote] Steve G said: There is a reason that the majority of the Progressive Rock music that we enjoy listening to is not purely instrumental." [quote/]

I agree with that and as I mentioned on another post would love to ask the various prog musicians how important lyrics are to them and why they write them.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2014 at 16:50

Back to topic No.1., the comparison of Progressive Rock with other forms of 'popular' instrumental music is laughable as who were the populous that listened to 18th century Classical and Chamber music? Peasants and tenant farmers at home with their 9 volt transistor radios? And when this populous did listen to instrumental music, was it not Polkas, Jigs, Reels or Bluegress for folk dancing purposes only? And did this dance craze not also carry over later into Jazz and R&B forms like Swing and Big Band, again, more music to dance to? The first group was rarely listened to by the masses, the second grouping didn't require lyrics when they did listen to it, just a melody and a rhythm in order to 'cut a rug'. So let's put things back into perspective before I disappear back into the studio for awhile. (Probably for a long while). My argument is abstract. Everyone is welcome to examine it, think about it and accept it or dismiss it as they like. To argue against it is like arguing against (or even for)  the existence of God. It doesn't do any good, but everyone is completely free to do as they like.
Ermm ... 

Ah... 

...what is the purpose of instrumental Progressive Rock?
What?
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2014 at 17:03

The Closing Bell: 29 For, 5 Against, 3 Not Determined and 7 Without Comment. After rechecking and rethinking some of the comments, I think the totals are pretty close. The reason I posted this thread, apart from the question about religion in Progressive Music, was to again call attention to the question How important are lyrics to you in Prog Music? It seems that they are important in regard to specific topics, so again I propose to argue that they are important to us and, if anything, perhaps even on some base psychological level. (No pyscho babel here, just using the term as an example). There is a reason that the majority of the music that we enjoy listening to is not purely instrumental. Perhaps we need a human connection to it, if even on some subconscious level, as my old pal Doctor Freud use to say. And no, I'm not as old as him.

Ah... no. You asked whether there was a place for religion in Prog - you didn't ask us whether religious lyrics were important. Two different things and frankly, no real correlation between them. You cannot infer from the replies that the lyrics are important or that anyone even listen to them unless they draw attention to themselves in some way. Most replies here suggest that they are tolerated as long as they aren't too preachy - which kinda suggests, like many people have been trying to say in the other thread, they are not important at all - however if they are intrusive (for example badly written or badly sung) then they are often disliked.

I explained my change  in topic in another post as the thread has run it's course. A lot was said, including some very profound statements, with no one getting their feelings hurt. Mission accomplished. Time to move on. But back to your statement about lyrics being tolerated as long as they are not preachy. I think you've looked at the  posted comments too narrowly. Many said that the lyrics were important as they were inspired and inspired the artist. Others said that the lyrics were uplifting even if they were not religious or did not follow a particular religious theme that was projected by the lyrics. Didn't you yourself say that we cannot generalize?
Firstly, it's not your call - you cannot decide when we all change topic and you cannot chose when a topic has run its course. All you can do is start a topic - but as the OP you don't own it nor are you its chairman; this is not the Oxford Union Debating Society, it's an internet discussion forum. The topic will move on when it is good and ready and it will fizzle out in a blaze of disinterested indifference all by itself.

Secondly, my point still remains - there is no correlation between the two subjects.
What?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6789>