Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - What albums did you listen to today?...continued
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What albums did you listen to today?...continued

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8586878889 528>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 3.33  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2017 at 00:06
Sunday...

Serpentina Satelite - Nothing To Say  (Lima, Peru  2008)
Heavy psychedelic space rock 

Holy Mushroom - Holy Mushroom  (Oviedo, Spain  2016)
Instrumental heavy psychedelic rock 

Heavy Moon - Heavy Moon 8  (Toronto, Canada  2016)
Instrumental psychedelic space rock 

Seven That Spells - Black Om Rising  (Zagreb, Croatia  2008)
Instrumental psychedelic space rock 

Stranger In My Town - Vol. 1  (Lecco, Italy  2016)
Instrumental psych, stoner, post rock 

The Re-Stoned - Reptiles Return  (Moscow, Russia  2016)
Instrumental Psych, stoner, desert trio

Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2017 at 03:26
Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

IQ-- The Road Of Bones (both discs) [ hey Sam. It gets 'better' if you mean you'd prefer IQ sounding more like a unique band. I'd check out Dark Matter and The Wake to give you an honest idea of how IQ, really do have their own brand of Neo prog however they've always rested pretty heavily on their contemporary influences. They are just one if those bands, but extremely great sounding. Not much better in the entire genre.
I meant the album itself, not the band, I already know their evolution. "Subterranea" was the one I liked the most at first listen.

Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

It's a bit immature and `hero-worship' in parts that debut (although there was an earlier cassette release too). Some cool moments, but I think `The Wake' is much better, even if if has more `new-wave' elements to the sound. It's definitely more original than the first disc at least, and Nicholls doesn't try to sound as much like Gabriel either.  I've sadly got a VERY scratchy LP of that one, a shame because the cover is in pristine condition!
Looking at the keyboard list, it could only sound New Wave-ish Tongue I wonder how that happens to a record, to they get it out of the cover and let the cat play with it? LOL

Friday:
Porcupine Tree - Voyage 34
Black Bombaim - Titans
Dashiell Hedayatt - Obsolete

Saturday:
The Dave Brubeck Quartet - Take Five
Gong - Expresso II

Sunday:
Mike Oldfield - Crises
peixe:avião - Peso Morto

Modrigue View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Modrigue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2017 at 03:39
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

IQ-- The Road Of Bones (both discs) [ hey Sam. It gets 'better' if you mean you'd prefer IQ sounding more like a unique band. I'd check out Dark Matter and The Wake to give you an honest idea of how IQ, really do have their own brand of Neo prog however they've always rested pretty heavily on their contemporary influences. They are just one if those bands, but extremely great sounding. Not much better in the entire genre.
I meant the album itself, not the band, I already know their evolution. "Subterranea" was the one I liked the most at first listen.
My IQ favorites are Frequency and Ever, don't forget them either Smile

Edited by Modrigue - January 09 2017 at 03:39
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2017 at 03:46
^ I heard "Ever" last month, my first experience was not good but I really got into it this time. The last few albums sounded very much alike to me so I don't remember "Frequency" specifically.
ALotOfBottle View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALotOfBottle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2017 at 12:04
Cressida - Asylum
Pharoah Sanders - Izipho Zam (one of the better albums I've heard in a while)
Peter Frohmader - Nekropolis 2
Categories strain, crack and sometimes break, under their burden - step out of the space provided.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2017 at 14:44
Originally posted by ALotOfBottle ALotOfBottle wrote:

Utopianisti - The Third Frontier Thank you for the recommendation, David! This is a very interesting band. Their music is very well composed and arranged, as you said, very much in the vein of Canterbury bands and also Frank Zappa. I really like the guitar work as well as balanced keyboards. However, one thing that really disturbs me is that the music is pointlessly heavy at too many points, the drumming and the drum sound being very exhausting for my sensitive teenage ears. LOL Overall, they are a really good band, though, I'll make sure to check out the previous releases.

Art Ensemble of Chicago - Phase One Most Art Ensemble of Chicago albums sound really similar, but that's not a problem with me, the formula is tried and tested, I love this stuff.

I have had the same "issue" regarding the drum sound, although my slightly more aged ears can handle the katjing
When I want that big horn sound coupled together with raw fusion/Canterbury vibes then I tend to reach for Astro Can Caravan or if I want a slightly more funky and avant take on the big band sound, I fly straight to Japan for some Date Course Pentagon Royal Garden.

Nice Art Ensemble Of Chicago pick btw. May just spin that sucker myself.

Great day of listening to music (got home early from work):
Guillaume Perret - Free (the saxophone can sound like anything with this guy tooting it: flute, guitar, synths, trumpet, bassoon hell most wind instruments. Like a jazz version of Necromonkey)
Il Paradiso degli Orchi - Il Corponauta
Jeremy Flower - The Real Me (stop the presses! This is truly one of the most gifted and unique releases of 2016! Not sure how to describe it other than it being like this progressive laden chamber pop (is that a distinct zeuhl vibe I detect from time to time?!??) release that seems impossible to peg down. Accessible yet extremely intricate and complex.)
Gadi Caplan - Morning Sun
West Space & Love - ll
(These two releases are both candidates for album of the year along with Bushman's Revenge and maybe some other that suddenly entices me...but it is going to be hard beating any of these.)
The Future Sound Of London - Dead Cities
Yugen - Death by Water (nope, still not 'getting it')
The Amazing - Ambulance
Floating Points - Kuiper
DeWolff - Roux-Ga-Roux

Edited by Guldbamsen - January 10 2017 at 06:55
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2017 at 00:14
Monday...

The Re-Stoned - Vermel  (Moscow, Russia  2011)
Instrumental Psych, stoner, desert trio recorded live 

The Re-Stoned - Totems  (Moscow, Russia  2014)
Instrumental Psych, stoner, desert trio 

Whooom - Gargantua  (The Netherlands  2016)
Instrumental heavy stoner doom trio 

Space Debris - Kraut Lok   (Weinheim, Germany  2005)
Mostly instrumental psych space kraut with heavy organ

Space Debris - Elephant Moon  (Weinheim, Germany  2008)
Mostly instrumental psych space kraut with heavy organ

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2017 at 03:31
Ornatos Violeta - O Monstro Precisa de Amigos
Porcupine Tree - Transmission IV
Canamii - Concept (A Prog obscurity, interesting for Renaissance fans)
Modern-Rock Ensemble - Touch the Mystery
The Flower Kings - Retropolis
Pond - Man It Feels Like Space Again

Edited by Meltdowner - January 10 2017 at 03:37
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2017 at 04:39
Did you feel the dad-prog when you span that Modern-Rock Ensemble, Samuel?Tongue
I myself felt like wearing slippers and reading the newspaper whilst listening.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2017 at 04:52
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Did you feel the dad-prog when you span that Modern-Rock Ensemble, Samuel?Tongue
I myself felt like wearing slippers and reading the newspaper whilst listening.

You know, I've been noticing that album pop up on the front page a hell of a lot recently, and without hearing it myself, I actually had a sneaking suspicion that's what it might have sounded like! I also get very uncomfortable when albums have titles that include things like `Touch the XXXXX' in the title, makes me think we're not far off `Smell the glove' territory , although it probably says something about my own screwy hang-ups!

Tonight's choices, all retro until the end:

Eloy – Inside
Morgan – Nova Solis
Camel – Moonmadness
Korni Grupa – s/t
Ashra – New Age of Earth
Krokodil – An Invisible World Revealed
Novalis – s/t
Agitation Free - Second
Agitation Free - Malesh
Steve Roach – Spiral Revelation

Edited by Aussie-Byrd-Brother - January 10 2017 at 04:55
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2017 at 05:05
^^ Yeah LOL Fortunately it's short and has some thoughtful compositions throughout it, unlike others from the "genre". It would be better without vocals though Ermm I guess that's why I unconsciously picked Pond next (I started Retropolis in the morning).

^ I'm waiting for a CD copy of New Age of Earth, it's long overdue Embarrassed
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2017 at 05:16
Well the music is rather good for the style, but I wholeheartedly agree that it should've been an instrumental release. Oh my word those vocals
Hell the new La Bocca della Veritá is pretty much dad-prog too, but they nailed the style right down to the t imo. Still coming to grips with the production, but it's definitely growing on me. The vocals are heavenly compared to Modern-Rock Ensemble though.

- Douglas Adams
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2017 at 05:43
"Touch it! TOUCH IT!" The most embarrassing Prog moment of 2016 LOL
LBDV is on a whole other level: Squire-ish bass, tasteful keyboards and the guitars are sublime Approve 
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2017 at 05:50
You know, I've been writing my "2016 in Review" piece for my blog, and I gave it the title of "Not Your Father's Prog" - so all this talk of "dad-prog" is quite funny to readBig smile!

These days I am catching up on some 2016 that flew under my radar. There was just too much music released to be able to keep up with everything! At the moment, however, I am listening to a 2015 album by a band that was recently suggested for addition - Lespecial from Boston, MA - and a very good album it is too.
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2017 at 06:38
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

"Touch it! TOUCH IT!" The most embarrassing Prog moment of 2016 LOL

Is that from that album?! Now I've GOT to hear it! Heh, I don't know, man, I saw that `Touch the Mystery' cover, with the bare ass on it and thought (quite literally and figuratively) `I ain't touching sh*t!!!'

I suppose it could be worse...it could be the cover of `Hinten' and called `Touch the Mystery'!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2017 at 06:57
Prog is about exploration Michael. I thought you'd figured that out by now

- Douglas Adams
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALotOfBottle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2017 at 08:48
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

When I want that big horn sound coupled together with raw fusion/Canterbury vibes then I tend to reach for Astro Can Caravan or if I want a slightly more funky and avant take on the big band sound, I fly straight to Japan for some Date Course Pentagon Royal Garden.

I will make sure to check these out, David. "Slightly more funky and avant take on the big band sound" sounds really delish. Smile Really nice listening choices, too!

Really nice choices from everyone recently actually.
Categories strain, crack and sometimes break, under their burden - step out of the space provided.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2017 at 09:08
Yeah people have great taste up in this mother! 
Oh and I'd probably start out with DCPRG's Structure et Force if I were you (maybe just because it is my fave album by them).

- Douglas Adams
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALotOfBottle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2017 at 12:13
^I will, thanks! Smile

Franco Battiato - Sulle Code Di Aries
Bobby Beausoleil & the Freedom Orchestra - Lucifer Rising
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2017 at 12:26
Always a pleasure Tymon

Oh and you go ahead and pick two of my absolute favourite albums. Hah! Nice one. Battiato goes completely nuts in a riveting manner somewhere on the rim of the solar system and Bobby shows that all people, even killers, possess something uniquely beautiful about themselves. The two long cuts off Lucifer Rising always deliver goosebumps.

- Douglas Adams
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8586878889 528>