Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTull Fan Central: JT Appreciation Thread.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 13>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2015 at 15:05
Originally posted by GKR GKR wrote:

As far as I saw Ian Anderson himself explaining, the idea is to tell the story of Jethro Tull (seed drill guy) on near future with old Tull songs (lyrics slightly altered).
Yes, I heard that Anderson was recently visiting the grave of the band's namesake, the real historical Jethro Tull.  Maybe he feels guilty about forever upstaging the 'seed drill guy'.  LOL
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2015 at 15:54
Originally posted by O666 O666 wrote:

Hey Steve. I am a huge fan of JT . I didn't note to this section of forums and I didn't read all of 8 pages. Are you guys discuss about J-Tull Dot com or not ?

Sorry Omid, but J-Tull Dot com is the only Tull album that I've never fully listened to or even own a copy of.  Embarrassed  I'll have to check it out and write a review.
GKR View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2015 at 16:18
J-Tull.com was one of the first albums I heard more than one time... strangely enough. The cover and the riffs got me.

I really like it - maybe a solid 3 stars? There are songs that could have been cutted and there are great songs... as usual, the album got overshadowed by Roots to Branches.
- From each according to his ability, to each according to his need.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2015 at 16:25
^Many people prefer it to Rock island and Catfish Raising, which don't really grab me, so I'll definitely give it a full listen.
GKR View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2015 at 16:52
Rock Island is kinda the TAAB of late 80's. In the sense that they are pretending to be a heavy metal band. Its funny, but nothing deep. Catfish Rising I like by the effort. The return to more acoustic stuff, more bluesy and stuff. Its another "ok" without many consideration.

Indeed, I would put J-Tull.Com above these two. Waiting for your review, maybe I'll do mine as well. Smile
O666 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2015 at 08:26
J-Tull Dot Com is a strange album for me. I grow up with JT and J-T.com is the last album that I listened. You can't find complex songs as a "Standard" JT songs but this is a EXACT JT album!! most of song's rhythms are simple 4/4 (!!!). I don't want to say 4/4 rhythms are not "Valuable" but in JT career it is not Normal even in soft songs.
The title track have "World Music" style and  this is not Normal!! too. Most of JT.Com reviews are negative and this album rate in PA is 3.03 (323 rating) and only 7% gave 5 star to this album BUT IMO as a JT huge fan I recommend this to JT fans. Apologize for my "so bad English" . I try to learn English better. Thanks.
GKR View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2015 at 09:56
Its indeed an "easy listening" album. Songs like "Hot Mango Flush", "Mango Surprise", "Hunt by Numbers", "El Niño", "Dog ear Years" and "A gift of roses" are quite simple and good songs.

It seems that they did not want to repeat the high complexity of Roots to Branches or expend so many time on studio as the last album.
O666 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2015 at 10:45

Its indeed an "easy listening" album. Songs like "Hot Mango Flush", "Mango Surprise", "Hunt by Numbers", "El Niño", "Dog ear Years" and "A gift of roses" are quite simple and good songs.

It seems that they did not want to repeat the high complexity of Roots to Branches or expend so many time on studio as the last album.
100% Agree (I like Hot Mango Flush!!) . Roots to Branches is a very good and complex album (IMO) . What do you think about Ian Anderson solo album specially his last album? Honestly I can't find anything more than JT in his solo Albums.
The Bearded Bard View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2015 at 10:57
Sorry, fellas, but I couldn't disagree more. Haven't heard Under Wraps and Catfish Rising yet, but Dot Com is by far my least favourite Tull album. A huge disappointment after the excellent Roots to Branches.

"Hot Mango Flush" is, as far as I'm concerned, easily their worst composition (if you can call it that). The lyrics are downright embarrassing, with Ian just enumerating a bunch of seemingly unrelated (although I guess you could say there's a connection, just not a very good one, IMO, what's a hot mango flush anyway? well, I know where I'd like Ian to flush that hot mango) stuff (something he's made a habit of on later albums, too, unfortunately). And then they had the brilliant idea of revisiting it on "Mango Surprise", as if one track of that drivel wasn't enough! Dead /rant

Bar "El Niño", where they go almost metal, which is a nice change of pace, every track on this album is, at best, forgettable. Close to a 1 star album, this one, in my book, but I can see it warranting the "for fans and collectors" stamp, although this fan certainly could've done without it.

Edited by The Bearded Bard - September 06 2015 at 11:23
GKR View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2015 at 11:14
Originally posted by The Bearded Bard The Bearded Bard wrote:

Sorry, fellas, but I couldn't disagree more. Haven't heard Under Wraps and Catfish Rising yet, but Dot Com is by far my least favourite Tull album. A huge disappointment after the excellent Roots to Branches.

"Hot Mango Flush" is, as far as I'm concerned, easily their worst composition (if you can call it that). The lyrics are downright embarrassing, with Ian just enumerating a bunch of seemingly unrelated (although I guess you could say there's a connection, just not a very good one, IMO, what's a hot mango flush anyway? well, I know where I'd like Ian to flush that hot mango) stuff (something he's made a habit of on later albums, too, unfortunately). And then they had the brilliant idea of revisiting it on "Mango Surprise", as if one track of that drivel wasn't enough! Dead /rant

Bar "El Niño", where they go almost metal, which is a nice change of pace, the rest of the album is forgettable at best. Close to a 1 star album, this one, in my book, but I can see it warranting the "for fans and collectors" stamp, although this fan certainly could've done without it.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Well, I mean... I'am not defending J-Tull.Com as a superb or great album - I said "good" (I tend to give 2 or 1 stars very VERY rarely). And for me thats it, actually.

"Hot Mango Flush" is about walking on a crowded street (I read that somewhere) in a 3thrd world country. Something like that - explaining a little the lyrics.
The Bearded Bard View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2015 at 12:33

"Hot Mango Flush" is about walking on a crowded street (I read that somewhere) in a 3thrd world country. Something like that - explaining a little the lyrics.
I didn't know that, but it doesn't help. LOL It's more the vocal execution and the way the lyrics are set up, like he's just reading a list, that really irks me. It's like he knows what he wants to say but can't make good lyrics out of it. And I still think the track title is stupid as hell! LOL

To elaborate, I think it's a combination of lyrics not being good enough and the fact that he can't sing anymore that's turning me off the later stuff of his. He can't sing anymore, so he choose to talk instead, like on "Cosy Corner", on TaaB 2. And on "Enter the Uninvited", I think it was (havent heard HE in full, only samples, and that was a while ago, when the album was released), he's enumerating again, just listing stuff, like it's the only way for him to say what he wants to say, and I find that vocal/lyric style (if you can call it that, if it's a conscious choice, if that's the way he wants it to be, I guess you can) really unappealing. I mean, is he going to start rapping next? Why not just stop with the singing and make an instrumental album now, huh, Ian? It's about time, IMO.

Edited by The Bearded Bard - September 06 2015 at 12:37
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2015 at 12:51
I agree with the Bard here in saying that Dot Com is a really mediocre work ,  and imo so are Rock Island, Catfish Rising, and Wraps....I don't play these at all anymore. Too many other good Tull albums to worry about those.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
GKR View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2015 at 13:06
Yeah, overall, I agree with you guys. I have at least 10 JT favourite albums before J-Tull.Com appears in the list - maybe more...

What I do agree enthusiastically is with what The Bard (what a good name) say above: Ian's voice is a serious matter. I would love to hear an instrumental album, meant to be instrumental and with great care. Maybe even a concept instrumental album, where you have to make the instruments talk and deliver the idea... like Divinities were, in a sense...
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2015 at 19:21
Dotcom era was Tulls best since 1980 I think. Dotcom, awol, wicked windows, far Alaska, dog ear years, hot mango flush and It all trickles down are quite good and melodic. Ian's voice is pretty smooth. Roots has more technical moments but the melodies are more straight forward and Ian's voice is a bit rougher. Roots is more consistent but com had the best tracks but also weakest tracks. Rock island has pretty crappy recording and vocals. 1989 was a crap period for music

Edited by dr prog - September 06 2015 at 19:22
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
O666 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2015 at 09:52

Bar "El Niño", where they go almost metal, which is a nice change of pace, every track on this album is, at best, forgettable. Close to a 1 star album, this one, in my book, but I can see it warranting the "for fans and collectors" stamp, although this fan certainly could've done without it.

Hi . Who said JT.Com is a great or perfect or ... album? As GKR said we said "Good" and I said " I like Hot mango ...". If you read again my first post I said this album not a Standard JT album and very easy to listening. BUT Honestly I like this album and I know this isn't great and I know 2-3 star enough for it.
I don't know about you but sometimes some weak albums or songs catch me an I enjoy to listen to them and I can't explain why and I don't have any reason to defend my favs (not opinion). 
Thanks
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2015 at 10:22
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

I agree with the Bard here in saying that Dot Com is a really mediocre work ,  and imo so are Rock Island, Catfish Rising, and Wraps....I don't play these at all anymore. Too many other good Tull albums to worry about those.

I agree, Wu. Bad times for Tull, and to me inexplicable, given the magnificent output of the first ten albums. Inexplicable, perhaps, unless one considers Ian had resorted to hiring bands at union scale with very little input. If you listen to the '68 to '79 releases, the drumming was far superior (Bunker or Barlow - it didn't matter, the results were always fantastic), as were the keyboards (Evan and Palmer lent an air of classicism that is devoid post-'79). In retrospect, except for Martin Barre (and occasionally dear ol' Dave Pegg), the band took a back seat and the music suffered: a digression of faceless drummers, bassists and keyboardists).
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2015 at 18:07
Tull should have taken a break after broadsword and re United in 1990. I'm happy with their 90s. Some duds on catfish and dotcom but plenty of solid bonus material
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2015 at 12:47

I'm afraid you've got us wrong Bard. As Tull fans, we're polite but I'm safe in saying that the majority of us feel that the last run of Tull albums, sans RtB, like Catfish Raising, Rock Island and J-Tull .Com we're some of the band's weakest.
We may be polite, but we're not deaf. At least not at the moment.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2015 at 13:25
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

I'm afraid you've got us wrong Bard. As Tull fans, we're polite but I'm safe in saying that the majority of us feel that the last run of Tull albums, sans RtB, like Catfish Raising, Rock Island and J-Tull .Com we're some of the band's weakest.

Yeah....I'm a pretty big Tull fan so I think it's fair that we say it like it is. Those particular albums just aren;t that good.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
O666 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2015 at 13:35
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

ClapClapClap
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 13>