Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Brexit: A change of heart??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 14>
Poll Question: Have you changed your mind either way?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
17 [45.95%]
18 [48.65%]
1 [2.70%]
1 [2.70%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2019 at 01:37
Currently halfway through Jonathan Coe's latest book, Middle England, which can be seen as Rotter's Club Chapter three.

It's actually a delightful read (as usual with Coe) spawning from 2010 until I guess one year ago, encompassing the London Olympics excitement but concentrating on the Brexit and how it happened, according to JC.
It's nice to find back Benjamin and the gang after a weird and disturbing excursion into the supernatural territory of Chelsea with his previous Number 11 novel, which was written either by Edgar Allan Coe or Jonathan PoeTongue

Wink

Edited by Sean Trane - March 07 2019 at 01:39
Davesax1965 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davesax1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2019 at 06:06
I spent a fine 10 minutes this morning peeling UKIP stickers off the walls at Stockport Train Station. ;-)

jamesbaldwin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2019 at 17:21
Originally posted by Man With Hat Man With Hat wrote:

If I lived in the UK I would have voted remain. 

I knew that in urban areas, staying in the EU prevailed. In rural areas with many immigrants, leaving the EU prevailed. 

The problem of Europe, as it is understood today, is enormous, because there is only a formal, economic, monetary union, referring to borders. There is no foreign policy. The fact that the EU has expanded dramatically to the east has prevented any single policy. From all this they benefited the USA, which does not want Europe to be united even politically, because it would be its international competitor, in fact the US was pressing to also bring Turkey into Europe: Turkey is the great American ally in the Middle East, and if it entered Europe it would make Europe a great American military base of planes ready to go bombing in the Middle East. 

For their part, European politicians are experiencing an identity crisis, and financial capitalism today has enslaved politics to the point that strong political thinking is no longer possible. Europe is surrounded by Africa, which brings its migrants, from the Middle East, with all the problems arising from Israel, the western stronghold that is occupying the Palestinian territories, and then there are the problems of the Arab countries, amid reformist pressures ( the Arab springs) and fundamentalist religious thrusts. 

Finally, in the north there is Russia, which tries to still have power over the states that have split from it. We have African migrants, Israel, Arab countries that export war refugees and terrorism, Russia that still tries to have its imperialism with the neighboring areas. And we are divided into many nations, with many languages, with very differentiated economic development ... In this context, it is difficult to make a true European political union. 

I would be for a two-speed Europe. A narrow Europe with few countries in it, from Spain to Italy (and north to Scandinavia) but politically united. The other states of the East should be allies but in a less constrained way, waiting to enlarge the Union in the future, when these states will give greater democratic, economic, development and civil rights guarantees.
"Happiness is real only when shared"
AZF View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AZF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2019 at 17:03
Trying to find source but PM voted against her own deal.
The only aggression could be stirred up by tabloids.
I am hopefully the majority who are going "Ha ha ha! Oh what a f**king pile of sh*t it all is!".
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2019 at 17:42
Originally posted by jamesbaldwin jamesbaldwin wrote:

I knew that in urban areas, staying in the EU prevailed. In rural areas with many immigrants, leaving the EU prevailed. 

ummm   .. almost 40% of migrants in the whole of Great Britain....  live in London.

There are many parallels between what is going on there and here.  Stupidity, fear, ignorance. Much as there, it is here, the most racially diverse areas rejected Trump, Republicans and the fear mongering..  the more homoginous white rural areas are the ones that fall prey to the fear and racial baiting...  I don't have hard numbers there like I have for here... but one look at that number..  40%.. tells me that umm...  I think you have it wrong man.  Immigrants no matter where are drawn to urban areas where the jobs are man.. and labor is needed.. both cheap and skilled/educated.

anyhow...  talk about a loveable sh*t show..  so now what ..  they rejected no deal...woo hoo.. so  that means what..  absolutely f**king nothing.

Either you accept the deal you just voted down twice.. or you revoke Art. 50.  As May said last night...  rejecting that deal which was the best and likely only one they were going to get is going to bring a bad reality check ..  the EU won't reject a request for an extension.. but I wouldn't  think for a second it is going to be long one. Not with the elections there coming up. Either leave.. or stay.. but decide either way and I'll eat my hat if the EU gives them much time to decide.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2019 at 18:24
Originally posted by AZF AZF wrote:

Trying to find source but PM voted against her own deal.
The only aggression could be stirred up by tabloids.
I am hopefully the majority who are going "Ha ha ha! Oh what a f**king pile of sh*t it all is!".

May may still get her deal through in the end, which would be quite an achievement... losing her way to victory. Of course the whole thing is a shambles, but if May gets through all this humiliation, and in the end it turns out nobody has a better plan than her, I'll raise my hat to her.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2019 at 18:46
yeah.... I can see that happening as well..  zero good choices but that is what happens when you jump off a cliff without a parachute.. or any kind of plan.  Bad endings almost always the result

3 choices...  revoke and risk the electorate but don't see the votes even being close to being there for that anyway..  pass the damn agreement (which means labor will have to in part vote for it) .. or do exactly what the meaningless vote today was about.. leaving without a deal.

Meaningless in that 'no deal' is not completely in their hands.. they are bound by the law to leave by a certain date...deal or not... now either they revoke or pass the agreement.  Assuming the 291 represent the max of stupidity in the House of Commons..  hopefully for all that isn't the fall back which means.. really.. the only choice is indeed to pass the agreement

which is why I guess May is proposing only asking for a week extension...  I haven't figured out if she is a f**king good poker player.. but I have my suspicions..

speaking of... I'm more suprised.. though I suppose one shouldn't be that the vote was as close as it was.  

Edited by micky - March 13 2019 at 18:49
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
jamesbaldwin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2019 at 19:36
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

Originally posted by jamesbaldwin jamesbaldwin wrote:

ummm   .. almost 40% of migrants in the whole of Great Britain....  live in London.

There are many parallels between what is going on there and here.  Stupidity, fear, ignorance. Much as there, it is here, the most racially diverse areas rejected Trump, Republicans and the fear mongering..  the more homoginous white rural areas are the ones that fall prey to the fear and racial baiting...  I don't have hard numbers there like I have for here... but one look at that number..  40%.. tells me that umm...  I think you have it wrong man.  Immigrants no matter where are drawn to urban areas where the jobs are man.. and labor is needed.. both cheap and skilled/educated.

Yes, in London, Scotland, Northern Ireland the majority voted for Remain. 
Wales (except Cardiff) and the rest of England for Leave. 
You're right. 
It depends, most of all, on: age, level of education, poverty ("stupid white man", like Michael Moore said,
he voted Leave, specially if he's old, poor and not graduated).

Northern Ireland and Scotland want to remain. England and Wales no. I remember
an analysis that said that one of the reasons is that in the countryside (rural areas) of England
and Wales there are more migrants than in Scotland and Ireland, 
but perhaps this is not the most important reason.

Edited by jamesbaldwin - March 14 2019 at 07:19
"Happiness is real only when shared"
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2019 at 02:22
I think I'm past caring now. There isn't anything any of us can do, so why bother losing any sleep.

I suspect we'll get a short extension, but for what??? Any deal our PM tables will be rejected purely because it's her deal. Brexit die hards in her own party will want to make no concessions to the EU, and even if the Labour party agreed with every single item within it, they would still vote it down on principle. This is the problem, it's a party political issue, not one of national interest.

What should have happened is that May should have assembled a cross party Brexit committee to decide what was in the best interests of the country. This would have separated those MP's who genuinely had the country's best interests at heart, and those who only wanted to serve themselves or their party, and they could have been measured and judged accordingly in the media. As it is, the government and opposition are still fighting for control of the steering wheel, even as the bus goes over the cliff. That's how pathetic and self serving this revolting class of sh*theads really are. They are a waste of skin, and I wouldn't be surprised if the EU discarded us, as if removing a tick from a cats ear.

Edited by Blacksword - March 14 2019 at 02:24
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2019 at 03:09
Does anyone hold out any faith that the UK can maybe broker a last ditch deal similar to that of the EEA member countries Iceland, Liechstenstein and Norway who have access to the single market albeit without any say in EU policy. They would of course have to agree to the free movement of labour but wouldn't be subject to the legislation covering Common Agricultural Policy or Common Fisheries Policy. Wouldn't this be better than the nightmare 'no deal' scenario?
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2019 at 03:24
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

Does anyone hold out any faith that the UK can maybe broker a last ditch deal similar to that of the EEA member countries Iceland, Liechstenstein and Norway who have access to the single market albeit without any say in EU policy. They would of course have to agree to the free movement of labour but wouldn't be subject to the legislation covering Common Agricultural Policy or Common Fisheries Policy. Wouldn't this be better than the nightmare 'no deal' scenario?

That won't happen IMO.

Putting a stop to freedom of movement was a main motivation for many leave voters for a start, and hardline Brexiteers within the government would reject this, as it would be seen as capitulation to Europe. I don't think the "Norway" option was ever even considered.

It's a shame, because I think it would obviously be preferable to no deal, which I think would be a complete disaster.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2019 at 05:21
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

The EU would probably be fine with that but I don't think that May or any Tory would want to get such a thing through which is far closer to what Corbyn and Labour are asking for than anything that was tabled by the government, let alone the Brexit rebels. If there was no party politics, one could probably find a majority for this in parliament after all the chaos, but in reality it would mean that Brexit is basically managed by Corbyn and I don't see the Tories allowing this to happen.
Chaser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chaser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2019 at 05:55
"Like the passengers of the Titanic voting for the iceberg to move" was how one European minister put it.

An extension now looks inevitable, and the Germans, who hold all the power, want a long one.

MPs will vote to extend the article 50 process today, but then expect the EU to lay down hard terms for an extension.

Expect a two year extension to be demanded, plus, possibly, a second UK referendum.

The EU holds all the cards now. The only interesting question is whether one of the 27 will refuse to agree to an extension.

Then we really are in the sh*t!
Songs cast a light on you
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2019 at 08:04
This is fun!

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2019 at 09:19

yeah.... I can see that happening as well..  zero good choices but that is what happens when you jump off a cliff without a parachute.. or any kind of plan.  Bad endings almost always the result

3 choices...  revoke and risk the electorate but don't see the votes even being close to being there for that anyway..  pass the damn agreement (which means labor will have to in part vote for it) .. or do exactly what the meaningless vote today was about.. leaving without a deal.

Meaningless in that 'no deal' is not completely in their hands.. they are bound by the law to leave by a certain date...deal or not... now either they revoke or pass the agreement.  Assuming the 291 represent the max of stupidity in the House of Commons..  hopefully for all that isn't the fall back which means.. really.. the only choice is indeed to pass the agreement

which is why I guess May is proposing only asking for a week extension...  I haven't figured out if she is a f**king good poker player.. but I have my suspicions..

speaking of... I'm more suprised.. though I suppose one shouldn't be that the vote was as close as it was.  

It's so comical I would laugh if it were not for the fact that lots of people, whether or not they voted to Leave, are going to suffer come D Day.  May said at the outset that no deal was better than a bad deal and now that it looks like a distinct possibility, she wants to take no deal off the table?  You can't make this up.  What the actual f**k is happening, how can the political class suffer from a collective epidemic of incompetence across the world. 
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2019 at 09:27
On a more heartening note, IF they do vote to delay the withdrawal and IF they agree to whatever conditions the EU places on them, the big short that I suspect many wealthy Brexiteers, including possibly a certain popular comedian who lives outside UK, had lined up in gleeful anticipation of Mar 29 will get blown to pieces.  Karmic retribution in that case and I hope it happens.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2019 at 10:30
Originally posted by Chaser Chaser wrote:

The only interesting question is whether one of the 27 will refuse to agree to an extension.

Then we really are in the sh*t!

Of course Nigel Farage is currently running around in Europe and tries to get his Italian or Polish mates to do just that.

Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2019 at 10:32
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

It's so comical I would laugh if it were not for the fact that lots of people, whether or not they voted to Leave, are going to suffer come D Day.  May said at the outset that no deal was better than a bad deal and now that it looks like a distinct possibility, 

It has to be said though that there is no evidence whatsoever that no deal would be any better for those people than the one May has negotiated.
Chaser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chaser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2019 at 11:02
What was hilarious about last night's farce was seeing the Prime Minister voting against her own motion! The Tory whips told MPs to vote for it and then, an hour later when the amendment surprisingly passed, the whips told MPs to vote against the government's own motion. You couldn't make it up.

A few posters here have mentioned the Norway option.

The Norway option has been looked at before and it just won't work for the UK.

For a start it would have to be Norway+ which means staying in the customs union (because of the Irish border issue)

That makes it the same as our current arrangement but without any voting rights. In other words it's completely pointless.

In addition the assumption that the UK can just decide to rejoin EFTA is wrong. EFTA would have to agree to it and there are good reasons to believe that they would not agree.

The UK would upset the balance of EFTA, who are concerned that the UK would use EFTA as a stepping stone to a full exit of the EU.

In addition, the EFTA countries have an equal say on trade deals. That means that Lichtenstein, with a population of 60,000 could block the UK from getting a trade deal with a major country like the USA. How long is that arrangement likely to last? Not long I suspect.

The Norway option and EFTA are red herrings and won't get us out of the mess.
Songs cast a light on you
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2019 at 17:08
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

It's so comical I would laugh if it were not for the fact that lots of people, whether or not they voted to Leave, are going to suffer come D Day.  May said at the outset that no deal was better than a bad deal and now that it looks like a distinct possibility, she wants to take no deal off the table?  You can't make this up.  What the actual f**k is happening, how can the political class suffer from a collective epidemic of incompetence across the world. 

oh very comedic my friend...  I loved this... trust a woman to cut through the bullsh*t and see the reality of this. Oh speaking of that..  next to the Ami Poli thread...

Edited by micky - March 16 2019 at 17:08
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 14>