Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Blogs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Prog Britannia - Album Reviews

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 97>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 2.33  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2020 at 11:29
I'm running out of ideas for bands regarding early Brit prog rock or proto stuff.
I'll ck out my music again this weekend.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2020 at 11:42
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

I'm running out of ideas for bands regarding early Brit prog rock or proto stuff.
I'll ck out my music again this weekend.

That's okay. I've still got plenty of obscure British bands to be going on with, many of which I've found on your list of long-lost underground album treasures. Going through that valuable list is like prospecting for musical gold. There are some real 24 carat gems on there. Star

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2020 at 06:34
NATIONAL HEALTH - National Health (1977)

Album Review #79:- 4 stars NATIONAL HEALTH were a Canterbury Scene outfit formed from the remnants of Hatfield & the North and Gilgamesh. The band featured Dave Stewart on keyboards (who later went on to form a duo with Barbara Gaskin in the 1980's), Phil Miller on electric guitar, Neil Murray on fretless bass, Pip Pyle on drums and percussion and Amanda Parsons on vocals. National Health recorded three albums during their brief time in the spotlight:- "National Health" (1977); Of Queues and Cures (1978); and "D.S. Al Coda" (1982). It's time now to take out a prescription for National Health's first album and find out if music really is the best medicine.

The album opens with the bright and sparkling "Tenemos Roads". Running at over fourteen minutes long, it's a complex improvisational and uplifting piece of music with some truly dynamic keyboard virtuosity from Dave Stewart, with Amanda Parsons' lovely soprano vocals soaring up up and away into the wild blue yonder like a high-flying bird. It may be hard to discern the lyrics to discover what "Tenemos Roads" is all about, so here's a brief taster:- "From the cradle to the grave, There are roads for us all, That we'll find, and follow to the end, Leading upwards to a place in the stars, Ten million miles away, There's a path called Tenemos Roads" ..... This warm and inviting opening number is like a radiant sunburst of glowing rainbow colours that's guaranteed to brighten up the the dullest of days. It's All That Jazz and a lot more besides and just what the doctor ordered.

Next up is the 10-minute-long "Brujo" which transports us to calmer climes with a gorgeous pastoral woodwind opening, conjuring up images of gently rolling green pastures bathed in warm golden sunshine. This serves as a prelude to another sunburst session of wild improvisational Jazz-Rock with some ethereal vocalese ad-libbing from Amanda Parsons. The music is positively aglow with complex time signatures, dynamic changes of tempo and some delightful keyboard flights of fancy from Dave Stewart. In other words, it's everything we've come to expect in the best Canterbury Scene music. Apparently, "Brujo" is Spanish for sorcerer, so just lie back and let this music weave its magical spell on you.

The first two pieces of music on Side Two "Borogoves (Excerpt from Part Two)" followed by "Borogoves (Part One)" seem strangely back to front, but putting that minor detail aside, "Borogoves" is a complex and compelling 10-minute piece of music where the listener never quite knows what's coming next upon first hearing. To try and put such a dynamic improvisational piece of music into words would do it a disservice, other than to say it's intricate and invigorating Jazzy music with more than enough unexpected twists and turns to keep any Canterbury Scene fan happy, and just in case anyone's wondering what a "Borogove" is, it's a silly mythical bird invented by Lewis Carroll for his nonsense poem, "Jabberwocky".

There are "Elephants" in the room for the final piece of music, which turns out to be a 14-minute-long free-flight instrumental jam session. It's another complex Jazz-Rock composition containing undecipherable lyrics, with the music sounding as marvellously wild and unpredictable as a stampede of "Elephants". It's an endlessly entertaining combination of gentle pastoral flute and keyboard passages and wild uninhibited outbursts of unrestrained Canterbury Scene music.

"National Health" is a playful and passionate avant-garde demonstration of evergreen Canterbury Scene music at its best, featuring an accomplished and experienced group of musicians who are really in their element with this eclectic and endlessly diverse album. Sometimes the Jazzy music is manic and unrestrained, and sometimes it's pleasant and pastoral, but it's always energetic and exhilarating. National Health is just the prescription you need for some lively Canterbury Scene Jazz.

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - January 19 2020 at 07:13
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2020 at 10:04
HATFIELD & THE NORTH - The Rotters' Club (1975)
The whole album isn't currently available on YouTube, so here's the longest track: "Mumps"

Album Review #80:- 3 stars HATFIELD & THE NORTH were a two-album Canterbury Scene band, named after the well-known A1 Motorway sign on the Great North Road from London to Edinburgh. Their first eponymously-titled album passed by virtually unnoticed at the time of its release in 1974, but their second album "The Rotters' Club" (1975) is much better-known. The line-up for this second album featured Dave Stewart on keyboards, Phil Miller on guitar, Richard Sinclair on bass and lead vocals, Pip Pyle on drums, a 4-piece brassy horn section and a 3-piece female choir of Barbara Gaskin, Amanda Parsons & Ann Rosenthal, collectively named The Northettes.

The opening song "Share It" sounds strangely familiar, even upon first hearing. This upbeat jaunty Jazz-Rock number is very reminiscent of both Caravan and Camel. There's no doubting that Hatfield & the North are an English band from Richard Sinclair's clear-cut vocals, which sound as English as fish & chips. The obscure lyrics are a riddle wrapped in an enigma though, but that only adds to the quaint English charm of this catchy tune . Here's a brief opening taster of the lyrics:- "Tadpoles keep screaming in my ear, Hey there! Rotter's Club! Explain the meaning of this song and share it" ..... The bizarre meaning of this particular song will perhaps forever remain shrouded in mystery, when even the singer sounds baffled by the abstruse lyrics. And now for a little instrumental lounge music with "Lounging There Trying", which sounds like the kind of sophisticated improvisational Jazz you might listen to whilst coolly sipping a gin and tonic in a trendy cocktail lounge. There's no clue as to what the strangely-titled "(Big) John Wayne Socks Psychology on the Jaw" might be all about, because it's a brief 43 second instrumental, and the slightly discordant music bears little relation to the bizarre song title. This leads us into the even shorter "Chaos at the Greasy Spoon", which does indeed sound chaotic and a bit of a tuneless mess to be absolutely honest, so it's something of a blessed relief that it's less than half-a-minute long. Next up is "The Yes No Interlude" which is not so much an interlude, but more of an extended 7-minute instrumental jam session, where the musicians throw caution to the wind with gay abandon and let loose with some wild and improvisational Canterbury Scene Jazz. We're back to more familiar territory with "Fitter Stoke Has A Bath", which sounds like a typical lively Jazz-Rock song that Caravan might have recorded, although the meaning of the weird song title and lyrics are just as obscure as Hatfield & the North's instrumental numbers. Here's a brief example of the totally nonsensical lyrics:- "Bing billy bong - silly song's going wrong, Ping pong ping, clong cling dong, Tie me up, turn me on, Bing billy bang, Desperate Dan, frying pan, Cling clong cling, Bong bing bang, Michael Miles, Bogey man," ..... Yes indeed! Song lyrics don't come much sillier than that! They sound like the kind of wacky lyrics you might have heard in a typical Eurovision Song Contest entry from the 1970's. There's a return to some kind of normality - or whatever passes for normal in the bizarre musical world of Hatfield & the North - with "Didn't Matter Anyway". This is a gentle Caravan-esque song floating on a mellow wave of flute and delicate keyboards. It's the most approachable and easy-to-listen-to song on the album. You can just relax and let the worries and cares of the day slip away listening to this gorgeous insouciant song, because whatever might have been troubling you, it probably "Didn't Matter Anyway".

It's time now to don a dinner jacket and order a dry martini - shaken not stirred - for the Side Two opener "Underdub", because it's another pleasant cocktail lounge diversion to while away four minutes of spare time whilst waiting for your dinner date to arrive for the evening. And finally, we arrive at the 20-minute long suite "Mumps" to close out the album. The music is divided into four parts with the kind of weird and crazy titles that we've come to expect by now:- 1. "Your Majesty Is Like a Cream Donut (Quiet)"; 2. "Lumps"; 3. "Prenut"; 4. "Your Majesty Is Like a Cream Donut (Loud)". The Jazzy Canterbury Scene music is just as eccentric and off-kilter as the titles suggest, featuring another wild excursion into uncharted realms, occasionally sounding atonal and disjointed, but always unexpected and totally unpredictable. It's an endlessly complex arrangement that deserves to be listened to several times to truly appreciate the musical diversity on offer here.

"The Rotters' Club" is undoubtedly an essential album for fans of the Canterbury Scene sound, but it's not so essential for Prog-Rock fans generally. The album won't be to everyone's taste, because this is wild and improvisational Canterbury Scene music that's nowhere near as approachable and easy to listen to as the more melodic and harmonious sound of Caravan and Camel for instance. If you've dipped your toes into the Canterbury Scene with Caravan, then Hatfield & the North by contrast are like jumping into the deep end. Their complex music veers more towards the Jazz Fusion end of the musical spectrum, than the more traditional British Jazz-Rock sound. On the other hand, if you're in the mood for some uninhibited and unrestrained Jazzy flights of fancy, then head on up the Great North Road to the sound of Hatfield & the North

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - January 27 2020 at 11:18
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2020 at 11:52
Love those 2 bands...but Hatfield and Nat Health   are not obscure in any way.....are you running out of truly obscure ones...?
I'll ck my music again tonight...right now I'm at the office.
Haquin
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2020 at 13:11

Love those 2 bands...but Hatfield and Nat Health   are not obscure in any way.....are you running out of truly obscure ones...?
I'll ck my music again tonight...right now I'm at the office.
Hatfield & the North and National Health are fairly obscure to me because I'd never heard of either of those two bands before I went online in 2010, and when I reviewed their two respective albums yesterday and today, that's the first time I'd ever listened to their albums in full. You can probably tell from my reviews and ratings that I much preferred the National Health album to Hatfield & the North's album. Their albums were far more obscure to me than some of the debut solo albums I've reviewed by Genesis members Steve Hackett, Anthony Phillips or Tony Banks for instance. I still have a vast database of prog artists to draw from, so I doubt if I'm going to run out of obscure British albums to review any time soon, but your suggestions for future reviews are always welcome. Smile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2020 at 13:17
Here's a list of my next ten upcoming reviews that you might be interested in:-

81. Titus Groan
82. Trader Horne
83. Spirogyra
84. Kaleidoscope
85. Julian's Treatment
86. Forest
87. Armageddon
88. Capability Brown
89. Trees
90. Alan White
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2020 at 11:10
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

81. Titus Groan
82. Trader Horne
83. Spirogyra
84. Kaleidoscope
85. Julian's Treatment
86. Forest
87. Armageddon
88. Capability Brown
89. Trees
90. Alan White

I have all of those on cd....except the Alan White , know of it..never heard the music.
I have 2 copies of Armageddon on original vinyl...the others are hard to find and can be very expensive if you do find a 1st press. I have a reissue vinyl of Julian's Treatment....it contains as does the cd several tracks from his 2nd lp.
btw..I think I mentioned it before but Titus Groan is the name of the hero in the Gormneghast novels by  a fairly well known  Brit writer, Mervyn Peake, I'm currently in the middle of the second book .

Edited by dr wu23 - January 21 2020 at 11:14
Haquin
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2020 at 11:17
Played this today...more psych than prog but....

Did I mention this one also...?

Edited by dr wu23 - January 21 2020 at 11:19
Haquin
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2020 at 11:51
Here's a shortlist of artists I have coming up for review between 91 and 100:-

91. Indian Summer
92. Blonde on Blonde
93. The Web
94. Samurai
95. Czar
96. Pussy
97. Cirkus
98. Bakerloo
99. Pesky Gee
100. The Ghost

By the way, I'd always assumed Samurai were a Japanese band until you mentioned them earlier. Smile

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - January 21 2020 at 11:52
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2020 at 14:57

Here's a shortlist of artists I have coming up for review between 91 and 100:-

91. Indian Summer
92. Blonde on Blonde
93. The Web
94. Samurai
95. Czar
96. Pussy
97. Cirkus
98. Bakerloo
99. Pesky Gee
100. The Ghost

By the way, I'd always assumed Samurai were a Japanese band until you mentioned them earlier. Smile

All good ones.....I'm a  fan of Web and Samurai....have both on cd...haven't seen the lp's anywhere near me.
Had Indian Summer on lp...sold it......should have kept it. Have the others on cd.
Pesky Gee is the only one I have not heard of...and I only have one or two Ghost tracks on an anthology.
Haquin
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2020 at 15:23
TITUS GROAN - Titus Groan (1970)

The full album isn't currently available on YouTube, so here's the longest track as a temporary substitute: "Hall of Bright Carvings"

Album Review #81:-  5 stars TITUS GROAN were a short-lived British Jazz-Rock quartet, named after the first Gormenghast novel by Mervyn Peake. Their one and only self-titled album, released in 1970, contained five tracks all over five minutes long, including one extended suite "Hall of Bright Carvings" with a running time of nearly twelve minutes. The 1989 CD reissue added three bonus tracks to the album. Let's venture forth now into the fantastic fantasy world of Titus Groan.

The album opens in rousing and rollicking fashion with "It Wasn't for You", a lively saxophonic blast of good old-fashioned bluesy Jazz-Rock, very much in the style of those other fine purveyors of uplifting funky fusion, Ginger Baker's Airforce and the Graham Bond Organisation. The singer has the same kind of rough raucous voice as Graham Bond. In other words, they both sound like they eat gravel for breakfast in the morning, but that's no less than what we'd expect from the best of British blues singers. In fact, this is just the kind of energetic and spirited Jazz-Rock we could all do with listening to first thing in the morning to get us up out of bed and instil a spirit of vim and vigour and get-up-and-go energy to face the day ahead. Alternatively, you could listen to some gentle and relaxing New Age music and roll over and go back to sleep again. Now that Titus Groan have grabbed our attention with the lively opening number, it's time for the extended four-piece suite "Hall Of Bright Carvings". This epic song is a real musical tour de force, featuring flamboyant flutes, heavy guitar riffing, booming bass-lines and pounding percussion. The dynamic contrast between the gently melodic pastoral passages combined with sudden explosive outbursts of musical artillery fire are what really sets this music alight with power and passion. Titus Groan can really carve their names with pride for producing stunning Jazz-Rock like this.

Side Two opens with "I Can't Change", which ironically, is a song full of constant change. It's a resonant flute-driven refrain that draws obvious comparisons with Jethro Tull, although the song takes a very unexpected turn midway through with a pleasant Country Rock diversion, before a return to more familiar fluty Jazz-Rock pastures. Either way, it's a great song that barrels along relentlessly and features enough sudden tempo changes to delight devotees of Jazzy Prog-Rock. The next song "It's All Up with Us" is very commercially appealing, which would have made it an ideal choice for release as a single. The impassioned silver-toned singer is positively bursting with optimism here and the heart-warming music sounds as bright and uplifting as a radiant sunburst of rainbow colours after a summer shower. This is timeless evergreen music where all the brightly-coloured flowers in the garden are blooming. And talking of flowers, along comes "Fuschia" (a misspelling perhaps?), which is sadly the final song on the album, although all good things must come to an end, unless of course you're lucky enough to possess the CD reissue with three bonus tracks included. "Fuschia" refers to Miss *Fuchsia* Groan from the Titus Groan novel. The music is another flawless funky fusion of pounding Jazz-Rock energy, which is altogether upbeat, up-tempo and uplifting.

Titus Groan have delivered a memorable timeless Jazz-Rock classic with their one and only album release. This energetic evergreen album sounds just as good today fifty years on as it ever did back in the halcyon days of the proggy 1970's.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2020 at 06:19
TRADER HORNE - Morning Way (1970)

Album Review #82:- 4 stars TRADER HORNE were a short-lived British Prog-Folk duo consisting of Jackie McAuley (formerly of Them) on vocals, keyboards and guitars, and Judy Dyble (ex-Fairport Convention) on vocals, electric autoharp, recorder and glockenspiel. Their one and only album "Morning Way" was released on Pye Records in 1970 but didn't make much of an impact on the record-buying public at the time, but the album has since become a legendary lost classic and a real collectors item. The original LP album has been known to fetch incredibly high prices. It was subsequently re-issued on CD in 2008 with two bonus tracks added to the original thirteen songs on the album.

The album opens with "Jenny May", a lovely acoustic Folk ballad with Judy Dyble's gorgeous honeyed vocals floating like a warm summer breeze over the gentle bucolic melody. Altogether now, "Summer breeze, makes me feel fine, blowing through the jasmine in my mind." ..... This quaint sunny Folk tune does indeed make you feel fine and it sounds as quintessentially English as a game of cricket on the village green. The next song sounds very reminiscent of the old Christmas carol, "We Three Kings of Orient Are", which just happens to rhyme with the song title, "Children Of Oare". One of the charming things about this album is each song concludes with a brief but beautiful pastoral flute melody to interlink all of the songs together. The next exquisite piece of music "Three Rings for Elven Kings" is a soft and gentle instrumental number for flute and autoharp, with the autoharp resembling the sound of a harpsichord. Next up is "Growing Man", featuring Judy Dyble's delightful vocals right at the forefront with Jackie McAuley on backing vocals. The music sounds semi-classical, featuring a mini woodwind orchestra, and it's a song that could have had pride of place on an early Fairport Convention album, especially bearing in mind that Judy Dyble was the lead singer on their debut album. It's time now for some "Down and Out Blues", which is just what it says on the label - a mournful bluesy number where Judy Dyble does indeed sound down and out and penniless with these heart-felt lyrics:- "No nobody wants you, When you're down and out, In your pocket's not one penny, And all your pretty friends, You haven't any." ..... Cheer up Judy because the next song "The Mixed-Up Kind" is an altogether jollier tune which sounds like a lost classic which could have come right off Fairport Convention's illustrious first album. It's a truly beautiful melody carried along by the mellifluous strings of the autoharp with Judy Dyble's crystal-clear vocals sounding at their absolute best here. This tremendously appealing song represents the stunning highlight of the album so far and it's also by far the longest song on the album at over six minutes in duration. This song is six minutes of sheer beauty and joyous delight. It's as good as, if not better than anything Fairport Convention have ever done.

Side Two opens cheerfully with "Better Than Today", and what could be better than listening to this charming pastoral Folk melody today, or any day come to that. There's some truly beautiful harmonising between Judy Dyble and Jackie McAuley on this lovely Folk song. The next song "In My Loneliness" is a mournful ballad (just as the song title implies) featuring weeping violins and with Judy Dyble sounding at her most imploringly passionate best here. There's a change of pace for "Sheena", an up-tempo and uplifting melody that swings along exuberantly on a wave of eternal optimism, in the style of some of the best music from the sunshine state of California. In contrast to Side One, where all of the songs concluded with a brief pastoral flute melody, all of the songs on Side Two conclude with a brief tinkling of the ivories. The next song "The Mutant" is a doleful melancholy ballad with Jackie McAuley taking lead vocal duties for a change. And now we come to the title track "Morning Way", a song with trippy lyrics which probably comes closest to the Psych-Folk that Trader Horne are sometimes labelled as. Again, there's some gorgeous multi-tracked harmonising to be heard on this four and a half minutes of musical magic. It's time now for "Velvet to Atone", a solo piano piece with Judy Dyble's crystal-clear vocals gleaming with all of the sparkling beauty of a crystal chandelier. The album concludes with "Luke That Never Was", which opens to the sound of a solemn church organ, although this is just a prelude to a good old-fashioned happy-clappy tambourine song to sing along to in church. If only they really DID sing rousing spiritual songs as good as this in the local parish church, the vicar would surely approve.

"Morning Way" is a charmingly beautiful, one-off gem of a Folk album that we can all treasure for posterity half a century on from it's initial release. Trader Horne's marvellous album is a very pleasant reminder of why we just love those bygone halcyon days of the 1970's, which often brings to mind the poignant refrain, "They don't make music like this any more." ..... which is a shame. Trader Horne are sometimes labelled as Prog-Folk and occasionally as Psych-Folk, but it's basically just an all-round good English Folk album with no strings (or labels) attached.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2020 at 14:15

81. Titus Groan
82. Trader Horne
83. Spirogyra
84. Kaleidoscope
85. Julian's Treatment
86. Forest
87. Armageddon
88. Capability Brown
89. Trees
90. Alan White

I have all of those on cd....except the Alan White , know of it..never heard the music.
I have 2 copies of Armageddon on original vinyl...the others are hard to find and can be very expensive if you do find a 1st press. I have a reissue vinyl of Julian's Treatment....it contains as does the cd several tracks from his 2nd lp.
btw..I think I mentioned it before but Titus Groan is the name of the hero in the Gormneghast novels by  a fairly well known  Brit writer, Mervyn Peake, I'm currently in the middle of the second book .

Alan White's album might not appeal to you because it's more of a funky soul album and not in the remotest bit proggy, despite him being the drummer with YES. Smile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2020 at 08:15
SPIROGYRA - Bells, Boots and Shambles (1973)

Album Review #83:-5 stars SPIROGYRA (not to be confused with the similarly-named American Jazz-Fusion band, Spyro Gyra) were an English Prog-Folk band from Bolton in Lancashire. They recorded three albums in the early 1970's:- "St. Radigunds" (1971); "Old Boot Wine" (1972); and the album reviewed here, "Bells, Boots and Shambles" (1973) (a witty version of the well-known play "Bell, Book and Candle"). A fourth album was planned for 1974 but it never materialised and the band decided to go their separate ways following poor sales from their third album. After taking a VERY long hiatus, the band reunited again for two comeback albums: "Children's Earth" (2009) and "Spirogyra 5" (2011). The two principal players on the "Bells, Boots and Shambles" album were Barbara Gaskin on vocals and Martin Cockerham on guitar and vocals (who both appeared on the album cover), with a number of guest musicians brought in for the album session. In the mid-1970's, Barbara Gaskin featured as a backing vocalist for Dave Stewart's Canterbury Scene band Hatfield & the North and she later teamed up with him again in 1986 for "It's My Party (And I'll Cry If I Want To)".

There's a tremendous opening to the album with "The Furthest Point". The music is like a lovely walk in the autumnal woodlands, with Martin Cockerham on lead vocals and featuring the sound of a haunting flute, a charming cello and a vibrant acoustic guitar. The music sounds slightly unsettling but it's also hypnotic and hauntingly beautiful at the same time. It's an eight minute folky fantasia of musical magic. The angelic honey-coated vocals of Barbara Gaskin appear halfway through the song and her voice is just heavenly. This is gorgeous music designed to carry you away on a sea of blissful dreams, and we've only just begun our musical adventure together. We have a long way to go before we reach "The Furthest Point" because it's time now to take a swig of some "Old Boot Wine", which just happens to be the title of Spirogyra's second album and the second song on this album. It's a very tasty and intoxicating wine too, despite apparently being made from old boots. Honey- voiced Barbara Gaskin takes the lead on this charming melancholy ballad, featuring a prominent mournful cello and flute accompaniment. It's a gentle tender-hearted melody and Barbara has a voice as sweet as sugar that could melt the hardest of hearts. The next song "Parallel Lines Never Separate" features some lovely harmonising between Martin and Barbara with each taking turns on lead vocals. The music opens as a lively Folk rocker but transposes midway through into the gentlest of romantic Folk songs, sounding like a melodic keyboard masterpiece that Renaissance might have recorded back in their heyday. The sound of Martin Cockerham's voice might sound somewhat nasal to some ears on this song, but that's more than offset by the gorgeous sugar-coated vocals of Barbara Gaskin. Side One draws gently to a close now with the short but sweet flute and acoustic guitar melody, "Spiggly", with Barbara in romantic mood with these charming lyrics:- "Love so easy, Love so fine, Into our lives, The time we always needed, No more to strange shadow, I feel us make it, Hope we make it over." ..... Barbara's crystal-clear vocals on this album are heaven-sent, and they're even more pronounced than ever on this gentle acoustic ballad.

Barbara Gaskin's enchanting vocals weave their magical spell again on "An Everyday Consumption Song". This is the kind of eerie but beautiful ballad that's most evocative of the classic English Psych-Folk sound that we've come to know and love over the years. Yes, the music's a little bit spooky and off-kilter, but not so scary that you'll need to leave the lights on at night for fear of what might lurk in the darkness. It's time now to stand to attention for "The Sergeant Says", a traditional rousing Folk- Rock number where Martin Cockerham takes the lead and gives his best travelling troubadour impression of Bob Dylan. And now we arrive at the sensational suite "In the Western World", to close out the album in magnificent style. The extended suite is split into four parts:- 1. "In the Western World"; 2. "Jungle Lore"; 3. "Coming Back"; & 4. "Western World Reprise". This rip- roaring 13-minute-long suite opens deceptively gently with a peaceful pastoral melody. This is just a harbinger though for "Jungle Lore", a dynamic outburst of rollicking Folk-Rock barrelling along on a sparkling crescendo of cellos, flutes, violins, trumpets and piano. The third part of the suite, "Coming Back", resembles a rousing sea shanty with a rough-voiced sailor, sounding like he's been swigging back a bit too much rum. It's the triumphant anthemic grand finale "Western World Reprise" that represents the ultimate dramatic highlight of this superb album though. This is a tremendously uplifting piece of music with all of the grandiose pomp and majestic splendour of the best Symphonic Prog, which might just surprise and delight you if you were expecting a gentle Prog-Folk album.

SpiroGyra have really reached the heights of musical glory and sweet perfection with their stunning third album. They've extended their diverse musical tendrils to deliver a gorgeous mixture of hauntingly beautiful ballads and rousing Folk-Rock songs and a very surprising symphonic epic for the magnificent grand conclusion. Barbara Gaskin truly has the voice of an angel and this stellar album represents a timeless Prog-Folk masterpiece to treasure for all eternity!

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - January 23 2020 at 08:31
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2020 at 12:14
Also these...Odin, Home, Fresh Maggots.....
Haquin
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2020 at 12:39

Also these...Odin, Home, Fresh Maggots.....

Thanks! That's a few more reviews to keep me busy for three days when I finally get beyond 100 reviews. Smile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2020 at 14:19
KALEIDOSCOPE (UK) - Tangerine Dream (1967)

The full album is currently unavailable on YouTube, so here's the longest song and ultimate highlight of the album as a temporary substitute: "The Sky Children"

Album Review #84:- 5 stars KALEIDOSCOPE (UK) are sometimes confused with the American band of the same name, which is probably not surprising, considering they're both psychedelic sixties bands. Kaleidoscope was obviously a popular name for a band in the late 1960's flower-power era, conjuring up images of radiant psychedelic rainbow colours. Intriguingly, the British Kaleidoscope released their first album "Tangerine Dream" (1967) the same year as the synthesiser band Tangerine Dream were formed in Germany. Kaleidoscope's second album "Faintly Blowing" followed in 1969 and they released their third album "Home from Home" under the name Fairfield Parlour in 1970. They recorded a fourth album together, "White-Faced Lady", but it was shelved and remained in storage until 1991, when it was released on an independent label under the original Kaleidoscope name. The 1998 CD re-issue of Kaleidoscope's debut "Tangerine Dream" added six bonus tracks to the original eleven songs on the album. Let's take a look through the Kaleidoscope view-finder now and examine the many colourful psychedelic facets of Tangerine Dream".

It's a jolly good opening to the album with the title track "Kaleidoscope", a jolly-sounding 2-minute burst of Sunshine-Pop that's positively bounding along with joyous optimism. It's a good all-round late-1960's Pop tune with a bright and sunny disposition, where all the birds are singing and the fluorescent flowers are blooming in the psychedelic garden of earthly delights. The curiously-titled "Please Excuse My Face" follows next. It's a gorgeous acoustic guitar arrangement where the lovelorn singer is in full romantic balladeer mode and pining away forlornly over his lost love. This beautiful ballad sounds as charmingly English as afternoon tea and crumpets whilst watching a game of cricket on the village green. Howzat! We're taking a psychedelic trip back in time now as we "Dive Into Yesterday", a song that's awash with colourful acid-tinged guitar vibes. It's a catchy tune that's very reminiscent of the Beatles at their most psychedelic, with influences from the West Coast sound of sunny California. This joyfully sunny music sounds as bright and bubbly as a glass of sparkling lemonade. And now we come to the curious tale of "Mr. Small, The Watch Repairer Man", the kind of cheerfully light-hearted Pop song that could only come from England in the late 1960's. It's a carefree and playful little number that doesn't take itself too seriously and it's representative of the Best of British Psychedelic Pop. We're travelling to distant foreign lands now with "Flight from Ashiya", only this appears to be a doomed flight as the constant refrain in this song is "Nobody Knows Where We Are" ..... Oh dear! It seems that despite the pleasant sunshine sound of this jangling and exotic Byrds-like psychedelia, the flight has gone down in the middle of nowhere. The dark mood continues with "The Murder Of Lewis Tollani", which closes Side One on a sombre note, although don't get too down-hearted because it's really a great Sunshine Pop song despite the solemn message in the lyrics.

The strangely-titled "(Further Reflections) In The Room Of Percussion" opens Side Two. It's a typically cheerful 1960's Pop tune but who knows what the song's about as the convoluted lyrics are like a riddle wrapped inside an enigma on a psychedelic acid trip. One thing's for sure, "In the Room of Percussion" is nothing to do with a drummer doing a sound-check in the recording studio. We're meeting the charming "Dear Nellie Goodrich" next, which turns out to be a short but sweet jingly- jangly sunshine burst of lovely English Pop music, featuring some delightful sugar-coated harmonising. This very agreeable tune is as sweet as a jar of honey. It's time to pack our bags now because we're off to the seaside for "Holidaymaker", a happy- go-lucky Pop song that's just as bright and sunny as the song title implies. Don't forget to pack the suntan lotion because this summer song is positively bursting with sunshine. We're in the King's court for "A Lesson Perhaps", although he's not a progressive Crimson King. No, this is a traditional Folky King in a quaint pastoral setting. This gentle melodic madrigal represents a charming acoustic spoken-word diversion in an album that's positively glowing and overflowing with radiantly cheerful Pop songs. And now we arrive at the magnificent highlight of the album, "The Sky Children", in a classic example of saving the best song till last. This marvellous closing song has instantly transformed what could have been a very good four-star album into a five-star masterpiece. It's eight minutes of pure unadulterated pleasure. The music is similar in style to the Byrds classic "Eight Miles High" - only better! The "Poptastic" lyrics are simply sensational. Take a look for yourselves:- "A million white flowers in a field in the sky, Seemed to spell out a greeting as the children flew by, A guard in a chariot of silver and gold, Gave the children all tickets, then the story he told, Of a time in the future that was sunshine and flowers, And the children grew sleepy in the sky's white towers, They dreamed of the story that the guard had displayed, They saw all the wonders, tiny minds were amazed, They saw candy forests and dragons that breathed fire, On all that was evil in the misty mire." ..... And that's just the first verse! There are six more incredible verses to come!! This beautiful music does indeed sound like "A million white flowers in a field in the sky." It's heavenly!

Travel back in time to the flower-power sounds of the late-1960's Summer of Love with this charmingly English album of glorious Sunshine Pop songs that's positively overflowing with cheerful exuberance and ebullient optimism. It's a psychedelic Kaleidoscope of glowing rainbow colours wrapped inside a beautiful Tangerine Dream!

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - July 24 2020 at 10:52
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2020 at 08:20
JULIAN's TREATMENT - A Time Before This (1970)

Album Review #85:- 5 stars JULIAN's TREATMENT were a British band led by Julian Jay Savarin, a West Indian sci-fi writer and keyboard player born on the small island of Dominica. He moved to London in the early 1960's and formed a band, and the group recorded their first album "A Time Before This" in 1970. The twelve songs on the album were listed as chapters in the form of a sci-fi novel. The second album, "Waiters on the Dance" (1971) was credited to Julian Jay Savarin alone. Both albums were science fiction concept albums and the original LP albums have since become rare collectors items that are said to fetch incredibly high prices. Let's travel back in time now to the sound of "A Time Before This".

The "First Chapter: First Prophecy - First Oracle" opens forbiddingly to the haunting ethereal sound of Savarin's solo organ. The music has a very dark and doom-laden atmosphere with vocalist Cathy Pruden announcing ominously:- "Out of the cinnamon sky a face appears, Out of the tamarind byre, come darkest fears and the first prophecies." ..... The portentous doom and gloom ambience sounds very foreboding and it's enough to send a shiver up the spine and give you a touch of the heebie-jeebies, a bit like a well-known Bee Gees tribute band. The "Second Chapter: The Coming Of The Mule" is magnificent. Watch out though, because this is an angry mule with attitude! It's a vibrant keyboard piece featuring some outstandingly powerful guitar outbursts which kick like a recalcitrant mule. This incredible music picks up in pace midway through and thunders along to the finish-line like a runaway express train. The "Third Chapter: Phantom City" does indeed sound like a train rumbling along down the tracks at full-speed ahead. The pulsating music barrels along relentlessly with the wailing vocals of Cathy Pruden sounding like she's on some weird psychedelic acid trip. This express locomotive song is loaded with so much speed and incredible energy, you feel as if the "train" might be derailed at any moment. The "Fourth Chapter: The Black Tower" slows down the pace slightly, but there's still enough latent power and energy contained within this awesome music to illuminate a lighthouse with one million candle power. The powerful combination of Julian Jay Savarin's tremendous keyboards and Cathy Pruden's incredible vocal range are what really lifts this music into higher out-of-this-world realms. After all, this IS a science fiction themed album where the music sounds just as fantastic as the fantasy sci-fi storyline. The "Fifth Chapter: Alda, Dark Lady Of The Outer Worlds" is a magical mixed bag of tricks, featuring quiet and introspective keyboard pieces combined with wild dynamic outbursts of raw energy and power with Cathy Pruden's incredible vocals soaring right up into the stratosphere and beyond. In the words of Hawkwind, this stunning album debut represents "Astounding Sounds, Amazing Music! There's a complete change of pace for "The "Sixth Chapter: Altarra, Princess Of The Blue Women", a beautifully laid-back Jazzy number with some charming honey-coated vocals from Cathy. The haunting other-worldly music sounds like it could have come straight out of a 1960's sci-fi movie. This gorgeous music is simply sublime!

Side Two opens with the "Seventh Chapter: Second Prophecy - Second Oracle", a haunting piano and organ prelude with a dark foreboding atmosphere where Cathy Pruden ominously warns us again:- "Out of the cinnamon sky a face appears, Out of the tamarind byre, come no more fears." ..... Spooky! The "Eighth Chapter" is divided into two 3-minute parts:- "Part One: Twin Suns Of Centauri" and "Part Two: Alkon, Planet Of Centauri". Part One is a heavenly celestial organ piece with occasional dynamic outbursts of reverberating guitar. Part Two represents a complete contrast though, where the music suddenly bursts into life with latent energy and vigour and where Cathy's incredible vocals take us on a wild psychedelic acid trip across the universe. The "Ninth Chapter: The Terran" is a storming Jazz-Rock keyboard instrumental that thunders along at lightning speed. This is the kind of barrelling powerhouse Rock music that might inspire you to skip the light fandango, and turn cartwheels across the floor, although try not to do yourself an injury. The "Tenth Chapter: Fourth From The Sun" is obviously a reference to the planet Mars. It's another boisterous and rollickingly good Jazz-Rock number, but We all know by now there are no such things as Martians, but Cathy is convinced she's "The daughter of the fourth from the Sun" and who are we to argue? After all, this was 1970, long before probes landed on the surface of Mars and proved beyond reasonable doubt that we weren't going to have a War of the Worlds-style Martian invasion any time soon. The "Eleventh Chapter: Strange Things" takes us on a magical journey across time and space into another musical dimension. We're on a TARDIS (Time and Relative Dimension in Space) ride back in time to 1970 for an explosive rabble-rousing burst of high-energy Rock & Roll. Set the controls for the heart of the Sun, because we're coming to the end of our wild intergalactic ride across the universe now with the final "Twelfth Chapter: Epilogue - A Time Before This". This nine-minute-long stellar masterpiece is an ecstatic galactic, psychedelic pleasure trip back in time of truly epic proportions. This incredible album of Astounding Sounds, Amazing Music has gone into orbit and achieved instant five-star status with this fantastic out-of-this-world conclusion.

A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away, came an album of such awesome brilliance, it shone like an exploding supernova. "A Time Before This" IS that album!

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - January 25 2020 at 08:23
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2020 at 09:11
FOREST - Full Circle (1970)

Album Review#86:- 3 stars FOREST were a two-album Psych-Folk trio from the fishing town of Grimsby, Lincolnshire on the east coast of England. They released their first self-titled album in 1969 and the album reviewed here, "Full Circle", followed in 1970. Forest's particular brand of acoustic Folk music was a little bit off the beaten track and they never managed to achieve commercial success during their brief time in the spotlight. Their superior second album was listed as one of the Guardian newspaper's "1000 albums to hear before you die". Let's have a listen to the "Full Circle" album now then before it's too late.

The first song "Hawk The Hawker" is a country-tinged tune, which is probably not surprising, considering it's the only song on the album to feature the sound of a steel guitar. There's also a harmonica to be heard too, giving the song the feel of a typical Folk-Rock song that Bob Dylan might have recorded back in his heyday. It's a jolly good bright and happy twangy tune to open the album in buoyant optimistic style. Blossoming into view next is "Bluebell", a pretty Psych-Folk song in the psychedelic garden of earthly delights. The acoustic guitar sounds somewhat akin to a jangling Greek bouzouki, conjuring up images of a traditional plate-smashing spree in a Greek restaurant, although the restaurant owner might be none too pleased. Serf's Up now for "The Midnight Hanging Of A Runaway Serf", a pleasant Folk song that jollies merrily along despite the dark and dismal subject matter of the song. Maybe all the serf wanted to do was runaway and listen to some feudal serf music down at the beach. The next piece of music is dedicated "To Julie", whoever the mysterious Julie is, because it's a jingly-jangly acoustic guitar instrumental. "Gypsy Girl & Rambleway" is next, so you can expect to hear a lively burst of traditional Romany gypsy dance music, and that's exactly what you get. It's a liberating orgy of free-spirited music for cavorting and carousing around the campfire together in a slightly drunken and hedonistic fashion. This chirpy charming tune represents freedom, passion and playfulness.

It's time to put the brolly up now for the Side Two opener: "Do Not Walk In The Rain", a lively piano number that sounds just like a train trundling rhythmically down the tracks, which seems fitting, as the lyrics reveal the song is all about  getting on the train to avoid the rain:- "So I'm gonna take you down to the station, And put you upon a train. So please, Do not walk in the rain." ..... All aboard! We're getting all Shakespearian now for "Much Ado About Nothing", which turns out to be a pleasant little ditty, featuring what sounds very much like a plucky mandolin, although a mandolin's not mentioned in the album credits, so maybe it's an electric harpsichord, which IS mentioned in the credits. Anyway, it's an insouciant song that's as blithe and carefree as the song title implies. There are creepy goings-on in the "Graveyard" now, a song that sounds pleasantly pastoral despite the bats in the belfry doom and gloom message contained within the lyrics:- "In a graveyard I have been, A body I have seen, From the sharp burn I have dreamed, That body was me." ..... Oh well, not to worry, it's nowhere near as scary as the dark and disturbing music of Comus, so there's no need to sleep with the lights on tonight. Let us pray for the harvest now, because the next brief tune "Famine Song" is an a capella devotional call to prayer, very much in the style of that well-known dirge "Gaudete" by Steeleye Span. Yes, it really IS that depressing. Never mind though, because the final 6-minute- long "Autumn Childhood" is a lovely sing-along song (despite the dismal lyrics), so rattle those tambourines, shake those tassels, and ring them bells!

This fairly traditional Psych-Folk album is unlikely to appeal to Prog-Rock fans generally because it's not in the remotest bit proggy and it's not rock either, but if you're a fan of the Incredible String Band and other acoustic English Folk bands of that ilk, then this might be just the album for you. "Full Circle" is just one album in a whole Forest of Psych-Folk albums, and there's really nothing new or original on offer here that you haven't heard before. It's not an outstanding album by any means, as there are no stand-out songs on the album. It's just a pleasantly pastoral acoustic Folk diversion to while away an afternoon. "Full Circle" is altogether easy-on-the-ears and it's a good solid three-star album, but no more than that. It's the kind of very agreeable easy listening Folk album that you could buy your dear old auntie for Christmas, safe in the knowledge that nothing's going to jump out of the album and give her a fright like a Comus album undoubtedly would.

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - January 26 2020 at 10:50
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 97>