Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

PA Album of the Year Discussion thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 12>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote projeKct Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2024 at 06:18
Originally posted by MikeEnRegalia MikeEnRegalia wrote:

^ when you use the tool to build the list, editing is quite easy Smile

When we want to modify our list, should we edit our post or do another one?

How does the tool react when there are multiple lists by the same user?
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2024 at 06:30
^ You can do either, the system will always use the most recent list posted. But I'm rarely scanning the old pages of the thread, so it would be best for you to edit your list (which should still be present on the tool page, or you can import it there) and then to post it here in a new comment.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2024 at 08:21
Improvements: I've split the selection and sort/submission columns into two separate tabs, which gives more room to display data. Now when you select releases, the genre is displayed, which can be helpful when you're using the tool to find new music to listen to.

The genre is also displayed in all the user and combined lists, and there you'll find both PA genre and AP genre.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2024 at 03:24
^ Further improvements! selection and submission are now on the same page again, splitting them into tabs turned out to be more confusing. Instead there are now two tabs for the two main modes of usage:

1. Look up release: Perfect for adding releases when you already have a list of favorites
2. Browse releases: Choose this to just look through all the releases in order to find new music to listen to, or to remind you of which releases there were for the year.

suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2024 at 13:55
Hmm, I notice that my #1, La théorie des cordes, has gone AWOL from the PA charts... Shocked

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2024 at 14:19
^ Yes, that happened today - there were three versions of that release in the database, I deleted two of them. Could you please add it to your list and submit it again? I'll try to avoid that problem in the future.

Edited by MikeEnRegalia - January 07 2024 at 14:22
projeKct View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote projeKct Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2024 at 16:02
What is the deadline for this year? Shouldn't we mention this in the first post of this thread?
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2024 at 16:17
Originally posted by projeKct projeKct wrote:

What is the deadline for this year? Shouldn't we mention this in the first post of this thread?

I planned to update it when I had a better idea. I added a note in the OP, thanks.

At the beginning of December, Ian wrote:

Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

No rush will be end January earliest

My guess would be February. Good for people to start getting in those lists using the AwesomeProg tool and posting those here ASAP. And of course one can add to those lists and edit later. People should try to have them in before February, I should say.

Please try your best to have your lists prepared before February, 2024.

Your participation is appreciated for this communal exercise.

Edited by Logan - January 07 2024 at 16:30
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2024 at 17:59
I agree let's aim for the end of January
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2024 at 09:54

Originally posted by suitkees suitkees wrote:

Hmm, I notice that my #1, La théorie des cordes, has gone AWOL from the PA charts... Shocked

^ Yes, that happened today - there were three versions of that release in the database, I deleted two of them. Could you please add it to your list and submit it again? I'll try to avoid that problem in the future.

Well, it is now only listed as an AP-album, where it is in PA's database; I guess this would alter the points count. The only remains in my list are - I guess - its former reference number: 63207. Others than me had this album in their list too...
I'll wait for your green light when this is sorted out, before submitting my list again.

Edited by suitkees - January 08 2024 at 09:58

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2024 at 12:24

Well, it is now only listed as an AP-album, where it is in PA's database; I guess this would alter the points count. The only remains in my list are - I guess - its former reference number: 63207. Others than me had this album in their list too...
I'll wait for your green light when this is sorted out, before submitting my list again.

Yes, there was another user who had it in their list. I've now replaced the id in the database, so the album is back again. You should be able to edit and re-submit your list without any problems, and I've linked the release to PA. Smile

Edited by MikeEnRegalia - January 08 2024 at 12:31
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2024 at 12:31
^ Thumbs Up

earlyprog View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Neo / PSIKE / Heavy Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote earlyprog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2024 at 14:42
^I reluctantly submit my votes for the PA AOTY 2023 as I feel the votes should be weighted according to member status. As a collaborator I listen to 300+ new releases across all PA genres each year and believe that should be acknowledged as per previous years' AOTH.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2024 at 15:06
A sense of entitlement is very problematic to me, and I dislike elitist attitudes. Of course you are entitled to your feelings. I would wonder then if a collab who has listened to 300 albums should have much more weighting than one who has listened to 30, who in turn should be given much more weighting than one who has listened to ten. Ultimately, your top album is probably going to be one of the most listened to albums anyway, and is likely to "win". I prefer many others, but yours is a popular top pick with the Zopp.

I much prefer many albums, and I have heard much less than you. Really there is no accounting for taste. I like this being a more communal effort than just including collabs. There have been far fewer collabs taking part, and I don't think it leads to better results by limiting it in that way, Nor would I think someone like me should be acknowledged more than, well, there are quite a few non-collabs who listen to lot of new music, and while I have listened to quite a few now (not many by your standards perhaps), I was playing catch-up to quite some extent over the past months.

The more who participate, the more representative. I see it as a good thing. And just because one person listens to 20 and another 200 does not mean that the person who listened to 200 has a better choice nor do I think that that person's choices would automatically deserve more recognition.

The weighing according to status just does not not make sense to me from a quality or validity standpoint as there are collabs who will have listened to very little from this year, and some non-collabs who will know far more. I understand that some might like that privilege and recogition as an acknowledgement of their efforts and/or position, but that's not that way I perceive things, nor does it fit my ideals.

Edited by Logan - January 08 2024 at 15:15
earlyprog View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote earlyprog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2024 at 15:14
It makes sense to me from a statistical standpoint Wink
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2024 at 15:21
^ When there are some collabs who are more ignorant than regular members who have a vote, it does not have much value to me by limiting it. And I don't think this is attracting as wide a population as I had hoped, anyway. The real question to me would be, does the list have more intrinsic/ inherent value by limiting it to collabs? I would not think so. And would the PA members find this exercise better if most of them could not take part? I don't think so. A collab only one may have the look of a bunch of collabs clapping themselves on the back.

If you like, you could collect the results for the collabs only from these lists and publish those.

Anyway, this was proposed in the collab zone before and various collabs supported it and I heard no one complain then.

Edited by Logan - January 08 2024 at 15:25
earlyprog View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote earlyprog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2024 at 15:36
^We can always sum up and see the difference between collabs' PA AOTY and (collabs' + non-collabs') PA AOTY as I'm sure Michael's awesome work can extract that.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2024 at 15:36
^ I can make various lists with different weightings, that's no problem. I can also add separate lists for collabs and regular forum members. The question is which list should be THE official PA list. I think it should be the unweighted, "democratic" one, but then again I'm just a retired collab with my own website. I will do whatever you (the PA community) decide.

On the topic of "the more releases you listened to, the more weight you should have" ... there's some merit to it, at least on the face of it. People who listen to a lot of albums (250 releases of 2023 in my case) get a better overview of what's out there. HOWEVER, a) their choices are still subjective and b) there have been more than 2000 releases in 2023, 200-300 is only 10-15% of them. So who's to say how many releases one should listen to? If you listen to a lot, you hardly listen to any release twice. Yet most experienced prog fans know what many great releases take several spins to appreciate. 

TL;DR: In my humble opinion these polls should be as democratic and inclusive as possible. That is also why I am working on a feature to better support unsorted lists, since I know that some people are not comfortable ranking releases. The more people participate, the better. 

Maybe we could make the official result a set of three lists: Overall top releases, Collabs top releases, Users top releases. Smile 
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2024 at 15:41
Well this is so much better than what I was doing for 5 years. Still trying to decide if I listened to enough albums in 2023 to actually make a list. What's hilarious is that the 5 sample albums are some of the few I've actually listened to. Including the one that would be one of the two top pick possibilities. 

Edited by Tapfret - January 08 2024 at 15:42
earlyprog View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote earlyprog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2024 at 15:46
^^Excellent! I think PA should list the 3 AOTY lists you suggest, Michael. At least this year (2023), and then we evaluate what to do for the AOTY 2024 Thumbs Up

Edited by earlyprog - January 08 2024 at 15:49
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 12>