Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBlack Sabbath inclusion

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 78910>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2007 at 20:26
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

indeed.. always good for some controversy

really like your sig, just noticed it

guess we should stop yaking on this poor lost thread

thanks... that sig is really special to me ... and I agree we move on to another thread I guess.  Having pounded some nails in this one.  Nice to see people got the point this time and it wasn't  bloody like other additions.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
debrewguy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2007 at 20:58
Originally posted by Ghost Rider Ghost Rider wrote:

I apologise for the totally useless post, but this is a thread about the inclusion of Black Sabbath in PA - not about Metallica, Jimi Hendrix or I don't know how many other bands and artists. Don't you all think it would be better to start another thread titled, "Bands/artists I believe to be influential for prog, or otherwise influenced by it"?

In any case, no one is going to agree on anything. It's been CLEARLY said the admission was requested by the site owner, but still I'm sure in the next few hours there'll be people at each other's throats. What really bugs me big time is PA is considered a 'traitor' to the supposed purity of prog, when there are sites bearing the same word 'prog' in their names, and having everything from The Human League to Toto to Jane's Addiction in their databaseUnhappy.

Toto ? Jane's Addiction ? Which site(s) ???Tongue
"Here I am talking to some of the smartest people in the world and I didn't even notice,” Lieutenant Columbo, episode The Bye-Bye Sky-High I.Q. Murder Case.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2007 at 20:59
Originally posted by debrewguy debrewguy wrote:

Originally posted by Ghost Rider Ghost Rider wrote:

I apologise for the totally useless post, but this is a thread about the inclusion of Black Sabbath in PA - not about Metallica, Jimi Hendrix or I don't know how many other bands and artists. Don't you all think it would be better to start another thread titled, "Bands/artists I believe to be influential for prog, or otherwise influenced by it"?

In any case, no one is going to agree on anything. It's been CLEARLY said the admission was requested by the site owner, but still I'm sure in the next few hours there'll be people at each other's throats. What really bugs me big time is PA is considered a 'traitor' to the supposed purity of prog, when there are sites bearing the same word 'prog' in their names, and having everything from The Human League to Toto to Jane's Addiction in their databaseUnhappy.

Toto ? Jane's Addiction ? Which site(s) ???Tongue

hahhahaha.... where did I post that link... she isn't kidding...

The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2007 at 21:02
 ^ oh I've seen as bad and worse on, erm, another site containing the word 'ears'... bands like Earth Wind and Fire, Heart, the Scorpions

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2007 at 21:04
http://www.proggnosis.com/GENRE_PROGSGGuide.asp

not that there is anything wrong.. .but Raff is right.. anyone here who thinks this site is overly inclusive..  should go elsewhere and see what all know.. that it isn't.
debrewguy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2007 at 21:15
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

Black Sabbath's inclusion doesn't affect me one way or the other, but what worries me is that we're steadily losing credibility with every controversial prog-related addition, imo. Max seems to think these additions will attract new audiences - and hey, maybe he's right. We might notice a few Sabbath/Zeppelin fans cropping up in the near future, but at the same time the actual prog fans might abandon us - as has already happened with Dragon Phoenix's announcement. This is a worrying development, imo.

Re : attracting new audiences - are they are any here that might feel that ANY extra attention brought to this prog site might somehow harm Prog's future ? I figure that even among the most hard core Sabbath Metal fans, there will be a few that will be curious to explore the rest of the site. When I fist stumbled onto PA, I wasn't looking for prog recommendations, just some info on PFM & Porcupine Tree. Started reading reviews & POOF - my budget's blown & BOOM - my CD collection increases by 50 albums over the next 6 months (thank God for Spin-It records).
Re : people leaving - I won't say that some departures will not have a negative impact on the site. But every time a Big Name act is added to PA, especially in prog-related, the chicken littles come out screaming the sky is falling. It has yet to happen. If you are passionate about prog, why quit ? Newbies attracted by these same controversial additions will be reading more than just Sab reviews. Yes, there are surely some that will read the Sab & Zep reviews & that's all. But then, there are likely surfers that don't bother with any other genre than Jazz/Fusion, RIO, or Heavy Prog etc ... .
So, please, stay. If you believe your knowledge, info or opinions are valuable, why not keep sharing them as before.
"Here I am talking to some of the smartest people in the world and I didn't even notice,” Lieutenant Columbo, episode The Bye-Bye Sky-High I.Q. Murder Case.
debrewguy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2007 at 21:19
Originally posted by A B Negative A B Negative wrote:

I first found Prog Archives when I was looking for information about Krautrock. Although I was familiar with most of the "big" prog groups and some of the less well known,  I had no idea just how much prog was out there. PA has helped me discover some fantastic music.

If someone stumbles upon PA while looking for information about Black Sabbath, I reckon it can go two ways. Either they'll say "Sabbath aren't prog" and look elsewhere or, like me, they'll find out about fantastic music they never knew existed.

Whoa, just the perfect example of the accidental PA member. You just never know who's looking for what only to stumble upon what else ....SmileThumbs%20Up
rileydog22 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2007 at 21:25
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

not that there is anything wrong.. .but Raff is right.. anyone here who thinks this site is overly inclusive..  should go elsewhere and see what all know.. that it isn't.

Haha, these guys have Cat Stevens!

debrewguy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2007 at 21:27
Originally posted by rileydog22 rileydog22 wrote:

M@x's argument is basically "Sabbath influenced every metal group, so they influenced prog metal."  Well, Chuck Berry influenced every rock group, and thus he influenced prog rock, but that doesn't mean HE should be here.  Black Sabbath's influence was not related to progressiveness at all.  This is just another silly move towards including every classic rock act ever into the Prog Archives.  

Nice go, but saying so doesn't make it so. If you dig a bit deeper, you may see that in terms of lyrical matter, the fact that they started metal on a path beyond the blues, and as stated repeatedly - that Sabbath was usually included in the progressive rock movement in the early 70s; all play a part in making Sabbath a worthy addition to Prog-related. EMphasis - Prog-Related, not prog metal, not prog, but related.
And as I've had occasion to lambaste the "This is just another silly move towards including every classic rock act ever into the Prog Archives" attitude, I'll shoot the same torpedo to sink that logic - So are you saying that BTO, Kiss, Aerosmith, Foghat, Bad Company, and others are about to join the "tidal wave" of non-prog groups that are included from time to time ?
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2007 at 21:27

Haha, these guys have Cat Stevens!

not my intention to slam the site...only to illustrate that a) this site is not an inclusive site and b) we ALL see prog and related differently.
debrewguy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2007 at 21:29
Originally posted by Easy Money Easy Money wrote:

I don't care who they decide put on here, but there are a lot of blues derived riffs in Sabbath's music.

Hmmm, I wonder if other "prog" guitarists might plead guilty to referencing blues riffs in their playing. Oh my God ! Steve Howe has at times played country based guitar lines ! Out with Yes, that non-pure entity !
debrewguy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2007 at 21:35
Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

Well guys, you know I'm not in favor of the inclusion of BS, but the chief has spoken and we must accept, there's no use for more debate.

The T wrote:
That's the attitude! Clap

Either non-yet-prog-fans will stumble with Sabbath on their searches and find some incredible music (then we gain more people to the prog cause) or "elitists" will leave PA because of this inclusion... Well, it's my opinion, that ANYWAY WE WIN HERE. Evil%20SmileWinkTongue

BTW: T please, as we know how to lose and accept some facts we don't agree with, you must learn to win, all those cheers, rubbing in our faces and calling us elitists that must leave Prog Archives, cause more problems, please avoid them.

Knowing how to win is harder than knowing how to loose.

Iván

Ivan, as I've stated in another post (I come back after two days & it's exploded!), I would hate  to see anyone who has a good knowledge of prog leave this site. As your average PA member ( I.e., outside the collabs & Admin) I have a number of collabs & reviewers to whom I give a bit more attention. You are one of them. Not that we share identical tastes, just that you have info or comparisons that I often find helpful in searching out new music here. Plus - Think of it, all the Sabbath fans to educate. Big%20smile
Lucent View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2007 at 21:42
Guys, let's add The Sex Pistols in next.
debrewguy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2007 at 21:42
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

I really can't believe you all.... albums don't 'deserve' any particular rating.  IF so ..what is the point of reviewing...  just award the damn album 5 stars.. because it is inluential or popular. 

sorry to see my example has been ignored.  You can review a non prog album accurately and fairly based on it's prog quotient.  That is fair to all... unless the only thing that matters.. is what the damn ranking is...

Exactly my point.

If I did pull out those rankings, it is to see that on the average these albums on top are the better ones from a given group.

But as I said in the other thread (rating changes) I couldn't care less of those rankings as seen from a general spectrum. Those TOP 100 list are not that trustworthy (they might give an idea, but theway some focus on it, I suspect major skewing) and less on this site than at Progressive Ears  or at Gnosis2000.

So in its finality, I don't care for intergroup comparisons, because PA is not trustworthy 

read you tomorrow

Wink

And how do the top xx lists on those other sites manage to be more trustworthy ?
debrewguy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2007 at 21:47
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

^ how wonderfully horrid.. not a bad pop tune actually, though Gary Numan rules Wink

Yeah ! But how close are we to getting him
into Progressive Electronic ? OOPS ! I let the cat out the bag ....LOL
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2007 at 21:57

Ivan, as I've stated in another post (I come back after two days & it's exploded!), I would hate  to see anyone who has a good knowledge of prog leave this site. As your average PA member ( I.e., outside the collabs & Admin) I have a number of collabs & reviewers to whom I give a bit more attention. You are one of them. Not that we share identical tastes, just that you have info or comparisons that I often find helpful in searching out new music here. Plus - Think of it, all the Sabbath fans to educate. Big%20smile

Dopn't worry, I'm not leaving, I heard somebody left, but that's all, I believe Sabbath shouldn't be here, but if the order comes from M@X, there's little we can do.

There are other bands that are even worst, but trhat's how the game is played, we must accept the rules.

Iván

rileydog22 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2007 at 22:03
Originally posted by Lucent Lucent wrote:

Yeah; The Sex Pistols invented bad vocals, a technique that was later used by bajillions of prog metal bands!  Their influence on the genre is undeniable!

debrewguy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2007 at 22:04
Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

Dopn't worry, I'm not leaving, I heard somebody left, but that's all, I believe Sabbath shouldn't be here, but if the order comes from M@X, there's little we can do.

There are other bands that are even worst, but trhat's how the game is played, we must accept the rules.

Iván

Yes, and as some will say about prog, you sometimes break the rules, or at least stretch them. And I will repeat my idea that PA may get a few Sab fans looking further into prog music.
Lucent View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2007 at 22:05

Originally posted by Lucent Lucent wrote:

Yeah; The Sex Pistols invented bad vocals, a technique that was later used by bajillions of prog metal bands!  Their influence on the genre is undeniable!

You gotta admire their three power chords.  It's so technical and full of talent.  Man, I wish I were as hardcore as The Sex Pistols.
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2007 at 03:44
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

IUn the meantime, while everybodywas focusing on insignificant Black Sabbath, none noticed the inclusion of one of the last great omission of this site, the prog folk Chilean group Congreso!!!

Thanks toç Clem, Micky and CuncunaClap

Now, THERE IS PROG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And thanks to myself too, because I rescued the band from oblivion, got Cuncuna to send me the samples, and sent them in turn to MickyTongue...

BTW. Hugues, there are still lots of obscure bands from the Seventies that are missing from our DB... Our teams are engaged in a spot of gold-digging, with the help of such invaluable people as AnduClap, and if you look at the Bands Added section, you'll see a few of them being mentioned.

Now, apart from the self-celebrationWink, my point is, stop bashing the site for adding PR and PP bands to the detriment of real prog acts. This is NOT true. The genre teams are working behind the scenes in order to add as many new and older acts to an already large database - not to mention all the work that goes into adding missing bios and editing already existing ones, tidying discographies up, and monitoring reviews. Not recognising all the work that goes into the managing of this site because of a small number of controversial additions is unfair and offensive, in my very humble opinion.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 78910>