Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedFive albums that changed your life

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2009 at 10:37
I spent 10 years enjoying music via free radio (Top 40, AOL, Live365 etc.). I didn't start purchasing music until mid 2006. 
Radio is free, but buying all those albums was WORTH the money. 

1. The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust

The first classic album that I liked (and eventually loved). Without this, my music taste would have sticked to the likes of Spice Girls and Pink.

2. Blackwater Park

The first metal album I liked, and the first prog album I liked. Now I'm a progressive metalhead (or metallic proghead). Blackwater Park started it all for me.

3. Alive in Athens

My all-time favorite album. Pretty much explains who I am in three plastic discs.

4. Oceanborn

Expand the soundscape in my brain to a whole new symphonic era. Everything is broader, deeper and more beautiful.

5. (insert my breakthrough album here)

yeah, I'm a prog musician, and this spot is reserved for the album that would make me famous. 

Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2009 at 10:43
Originally posted by paganinio paganinio wrote:

5. (insert my breakthrough album here)

yeah, I'm a prog musician, and this spot is reserved for the album that would make me famous. 

ClapClap Good choice - when it happens it will certainly change your life - good luck with thatThumbs Up
What?
pianoporsche View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2009 at 22:35
A topic that I love thinking about. I shudder to think what I would be listening to if it weren't for these albums. There are many other albums that have changed my life besides these five, but these had the most impact (particularly the first three).

1) Close to the Edge   
To say this album changed my life would be a gross understatement. This is the album that changed my life. It was my very first experience with prog, much less an artist that focused on the album instead of merely a single track. Up to this point I had listened to the garbage on the radio and whatever greatest hits collections were lying around the house (Billy Joel....cringe...). The opening of "And You And I" still takes my breath away. The album that served as the starting point for my whole taste in music.

2) Tago Mago
This was the album that introduced me to what other people call "weird" music, if I can get them to call a piece like "Aumgn" music. Anyways, the moment opening track "Paperhouse" kicked into high gear, I was hooked. Needless to say, "Halleluhwah" is incredible. Oddly enough, I quite enjoy "Peking O". I still can't comprehend how amazing Jaki Liebezeit is on drums.

3) Frances the Mute

Not a whole lot to say with this one. It's flawless (not that the two above weren't). "Cygnus...Vismund Cygnus" is still incredible, as are the other four pieces. It took me a little longer to warm up to "Miranda That Ghost Just Isn't Holy Anymore", but now I can't get enough of it (particularly "Pisacis (Phra-Men-Ma)"). This is still my favorite album ever, and it remains the "hardest/heaviest" album (and band) that I listen to.

4) Rock Bottom
Up until I heard this album, vocalists had never really been a factor in whether I liked an album or artist. Unless I couldn't stand the singer (very rare), they didn't really sway my opinion of an artist. This came crashing down as soon as Robert Wyatt starts singing the magnificent opener, "Sea Song". His voice sends chills down my spine, as does the story behind the album. Of course, the music behind the voice is equally phenomenal; it's soothing with a subtle hint of "madness", as Wyatt puts it. Sadly, this album (and his piece "Moon In June" written with the Soft Machine) remains my only exposure to the Canterbury scene of the late 60s. Hopefully I'll get around to hearing more.

5) Pink Moon
Nick Drake is tied with Robert Wyatt as my favorite vocalists ever, and this album makes a compelling case for the former. The first song I heard off this masterpiece was "Place to Be". Wow. Possibly the most beautiful piece of music I've ever experienced. As soon as he started singing, I just sat there. I couldn't grasp how emotional his voice was. I was frozen long after the song ended. The rest of the album is just as entrancing. Additionally, his skills as a guitarist are fairly impressive as well. If only he had been around longer than the 26 years he lived. I know it's not prog, but it doesn't matter to me. This may be the most emotional album I've ever heard.

I know I used a lot of superlatives to describe these albums, but they really do mean this much to me. Truly awe-inspiring music.

SaltyJon View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2009 at 23:35
Interesting topic, and one which I must say I'm going to have to think about very carefully.  I'll post in a day or so, hopefully.
Badabing666 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2009 at 16:06
natewait View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2009 at 17:55
1. The Beatles- Red and Blue Albums
My Dad first introduced me to music by showing me the Beatles when I was very young. When I showed some interest, my dad went out immediately and bought the red and blue compilations of all the greatest Beatles songs and I proceeded to wear them out and start collecting every Beatles album.

2. Incubus- Morning View
During high school I was really into modern rock and liked bands like Linkin Park and Nickelback. I decided to pick this album up because I liked the lead single that was doing pretty well on the rock charts. I was blown away by it because it wasn't your standard rock album (by my standards at the time).

3. Gentle Giant- Octopus
When my dad saw how passionate I was about music, he proceeded to share with me his favorite band- Gentle Giant. This was the first album he showed me and consequently the first prog album I ever heard. It was honestly love at first sight, this was the music I was searching for all along.

4. Spock's Beard- The Light
After my dad showed me Gentle Giant, Yes and Genesis, I decided to do some research and see if bands were still making the same brilliant music today. Spock's Beard was the name I came across first, so I went out and bought their debut album and was completely blown away. It led to me being a complete fan boy of Neal Morse.

5. Dream Theater- Scenes From a Memory
This was recommended by people who liked Spock's Beard, so I decided it would be a good album to get. I remember the huge smile on my face as the album played on the car ride home. I thought the album was brilliant in every way and it started my love of the progressive metal genre and one of my favorite all time bands- Dream Theater.
Please check out my Progressive Music Blog: The Leviathan.
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2009 at 23:35

This is rediculously hard and I have fried my brains thinking of this but the ones that immediately spring to mind have to be right as they are life changing records for me -  I knew every track and cherished every thing about them. No, not all of them are prog related sadly.

Here we go and I can't comment on them - they simply are what they are...

Edited by AtomicCrimsonRush - July 09 2009 at 23:45
-Radioswim- View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2009 at 19:14

1: Weezer - Pinkerton

I remember this being the album that brought me and my first love together. I don't think I'd have the same musical appreciation had I not dated her for a good 2 years in highschool and a little after.
2: Marillion - Brave

for me this album was when I really connected to music emotionally. the first peice of music that just urged me to shed a tear of sorrow.
3: Pearl Jam - Ten

It was my first step out of Green day back in my Pre-prog years. I thank Pearl Jam so much for showing me that there was real music out there for me. (and my brother for showing me the way) Eddie Vedder was also the first person I ever idolized (and the last).
4: Greed Day - Dookie

what can I say, the first (and worst) studio album purchase I've ever made. haha. That's about all I can say about this horrible peice of work.
5: Genesis - Foxtrot

My first departure into the world of Prog. I was a converted.

Dust in the Kitchen
Michelle1PA View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2009 at 22:16
Great topic! It really makes you think a bit.

1) Queensryche: Operation Mindcrime. My initiation into prog metal. I fell in love with the story, and even the fact that it HAD a story. Simply put a good intro to concept albums.

2) Fluent Blue: Lingua Franca. Probably zero people on here have heard of them, but they remain important to me. A rock band touring the college circuit when I was an undergrad. I saw them just twice, and they sold just this one CD with eight songs. But they played some fun bluesy rock. They are important both for the memories of my boyfriend(now husband!) and I seeing them and for the sound that would later draw me to bands like Gov't Mule, The Doors an Led Zeppelin as well as traditional blues.

3) Metallica: the self titled "Black" album. This one I rarely listen to, but it was the first time I found metal could be worth listening to and have meaning.

4) Phantom of the Opera. Beautiful singing, cannot say it changed my life but it influenced musical tastes. I love the opera style voices and the duets.

5) The Doors Greatest hits: this was important because it helped me forge my own musical identity. As the youngest of three, my tastes were influenced by my brother and sister; Pink Floyd, Queensryche, Dream Theater, I heard these all through them. The Doors were the first band I really grew to enjoy from actively seeking different music to enjoy rather than passively listening to my siblings music or the radio.   

AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2009 at 23:21
Originally posted by Michelle1PA Michelle1PA wrote:

Great topic! It really makes you think a bit.

1) Queensryche: Operation Mindcrime. My initiation into prog metal. I fell in love with the story, and even the fact that it HAD a story. Simply put a good intro to concept albums.

2) Fluent Blue: Lingua Franca. Probably zero people on here have heard of them, but they remain important to me. A rock band touring the college circuit when I was an undergrad. I saw them just twice, and they sold just this one CD with eight songs. But they played some fun bluesy rock. They are important both for the memories of my boyfriend(now husband!) and I seeing them and for the sound that would later draw me to bands like Gov't Mule, The Doors an Led Zeppelin as well as traditional blues.

3) Metallica: the self titled "Black" album. This one I rarely listen to, but it was the first time I found metal could be worth listening to and have meaning.

4) Phantom of the Opera. Beautiful singing, cannot say it changed my life but it influenced musical tastes. I love the opera style voices and the duets.

5) The Doors Greatest hits: this was important because it helped me forge my own musical identity. As the youngest of three, my tastes were influenced by my brother and sister; Pink Floyd, Queensryche, Dream Theater, I heard these all through them. The Doors were the first band I really grew to enjoy from actively seeking different music to enjoy rather than passively listening to my siblings music or the radio.   

Wow, who are these guys?  Fluent Blue: Lingua Franca.

I love all the other choices though esp Operation Mindcrime!
pedroechoes View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2009 at 15:26

1-Donald Byrd-Black Bird.Funk,Hard-bop,Soul,RnB....the guy was brilliant

2-Eddie Palmieri-Superimposition.Amazing album,the last one i've heard with my grampCry
3-Art Blakey & the jazz messengers-Free for All.When Art,Wayne and Cedar were together.......mean jazz
4-pink floyd-Meddle.when i first heard echoes my ears gone prog and thats pretty much why i am here
5-Os Novos Baianos-Acabou Chorare.a major album for the tropicalia scene,very hippie but i just love it
there's a lot more,but i think this is a pretty eclectic list,there's jazz,latin,prog and of course some brazilian stuff
StyLaZyn View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2009 at 15:31
Keeping it simple

Queen - A Night at the Opera
Rush - 2112
Genesis - A Trick of the Tail
Porcupine Tree - In Absentia
The Who - Tommy

enemyofthesundevils View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2009 at 10:03
1.Beach Boys-Made In U.S.A.

My introduction to music and the first tape I ever owned. I was six years old.

2.Suicidal Tendencies-Art of Rebellion

The album that got me away from hip hop and into metal. I never looked back. Well I guess I did since I still listen to a little hip hop.

3.Anathema-Serenades

This introduced me to atmospheric metal which was an early introduction to progressive music even though they weren't progressive yet.

4.Neurosis-Through Silver In Blood/Dillinger Escape Plan-Calculating Infinity

Need I say more.

5.Porcupine Tree-Signify

My official introduction to the world of progreesive rock and the reason i'm on this site writing these words while I should be working.

akamaisondufromage View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2009 at 09:50
MFP 5274

My first album.  Hippy Dippy Marc.  I liked pop TRex so this took me by surprise but I learnt to like it and educated me very early on  that there was more to pop than the charts.

My first cassette.  I think everyone had this.  I thought I was very adult.

My first Prog Album I wore it out.

My favourite proggy disc.

Garlands

Im a magpie.  I collect bright shiney things.

Big smile I have tried this before and I will try again-  5 is just impossible!LOL
Help me I'm falling!
darksinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2009 at 11:28
i was going to post about Ava Inferi's Blood of Bacchus, but apparently I am the onloy person not allowed to post photos. Obviously some hateful admin at work...
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2009 at 11:38
Originally posted by darksinger darksinger wrote:

i was going to post about Ava Inferi's Blood of Bacchus, but apparently I am the onloy person not allowed to post photos. Obviously some hateful admin at work...
Really? That doesn't sound like the kind of behaviour we expect from an Admin - perhaps I can assist in helping you post some pictures here?
What?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2009 at 11:40
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Originally posted by darksinger darksinger wrote:

Really? That doesn't sound like the kind of behaviour we expect from an Admin - perhaps I can assist in helping you post some pictures here?

what is happening is the thing refuses to post, even after i remove the image link. i have to close the window-not just the tab-and reopen prog archives into a new browser window
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2009 at 11:44
you have to frame the image URL in  [!MG] and [/!MG} bbcode tags (obviously with a "I" instead of a "!")
What?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2009 at 11:53
ah...okay...sorry then...
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2009 at 11:55

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 12>