Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhat makes people find Prog boring?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 39>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2009 at 04:09

OK, I didn't read things in this thread, so I can write something not influences and something which is not reaction. Yet.

What makes people find country music boring ? Maybe not so variations, direct approach to listener. I listen country from time to time (I call it brain-nap), but take for example hip-hop music. It's not boring, lyrics are often shocking, aggresive, not boring. Dull and stupid, maybe, but not boring. Music can be boring and repetitive, but guitar riffs can be too when put in bad way. For example I don't find hip-hop music boring, because I hate it.

Prog music is everything but boring, it's the definition of progress - to be not as everything normal now, to be not boring. Prog rock was used as act of taking music from normal rock to prog heights, what means that it shouldn't be boring anymore, if it's true prog.

Whew

There's a point where "avant-garde" and "experimental" becomes "terrible" and "pointless,"

-Andyman1125 on Lulu

Even my
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2009 at 21:50
Even though I do like many songs and artists that are not prog (rock, metal and pop mainly), after listening to prog bands for a while I find myself less patient with non prog music, it just seems too flat, like it needs something more. The first times I listened to Pink Floyd, they seemed kind of boring and took me several listens to unerstand what they were doing. By the time I got into Yes, at the beginning I just didn't understand them, but given the experience with Pink Floyd, I listened to them more... and now I just can't get enough of prog. Now, I find myself feeling non-prog boring.
Lewa View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2009 at 13:13
Hi floydispink!

Very interesting question. I've puzzled over this myself.

Maybe a brain that comes across a very different kind of music for the first time really is not able to distinguish between all the sounds?

I guess you all know the story about Columbus' ships being invisible to the "indians", because their brains had no frame of reference to percieve them?

Maybe prog works the same way on modern brains. It may " all sound the same", because unaccostumed brains filter some sounds out or translate them in a way different to that of an accostumed brain.

Liking prog would be a matter of training then, like Urik said. Also gradual exposure would help to process it.

For example, I was introduced to prog gradually by my dad. We started with the related stuff and it got more complex as I got older.
My sister didn't take part in the education.

In her teens my sis played alt- and tenor-saxophone. When she started to play in a quartett, I tried to introduce her to some "different" sax stuff. I played Van der Graaf Generator's "Lost" for her. I was sure she would love it. But after listening to it, she was just confused:
She swore that there was'nt any saxophone in it!
Even after I pointed out the sax to her, it still took her a lot of time to integrate Jackson's sound with her idea of "saxophone".

So, I think it is unfair to accuse first-time listeners of short attention spans. It may be that they really hear only mush.

People may just need a bridge to get into prog gradually. After all, the jump from Britney to King Crimson is a big one. Way bigger than the ones we make between prog albums. And still, many proggers seem to need multiple spins to "get" some albums.

More thoughts on this, please?
It's a great question by floydispink!

mmmreesescups View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2009 at 15:48
Most Prog-artist are just hard to get into, meaning you have to listen to a song multiple times to get the full effect, most listeners hear noise that keeps changing.

That's why most popular music is so simple.
Paranoid_Eyes View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2009 at 18:36
I think that what it comes down to is that the people who listen to the simple music are just plain simpletons-

CASE STUDY TIME

Gave my frined (listens mainly to pop/trancestuff) my mp3 once to listen to- she gave it back 2 minutes later Ermm
Happy as fish, gorgeous as geese
MasterShake View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2009 at 01:43
If you don't like progressive music than smoke a joint and listen to Dark Side Of the Moon... helped me.
Figglesnout View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2009 at 02:08
Originally posted by Paranoid_Eyes Paranoid_Eyes wrote:

I think that what it comes down to is that the people who listen to the simple music are just plain simpletons

EVERYONE WITH DIFFERENT TASTE IS AN INFERIOR LIFE FORM, YEAH!

I'm a reasonable man, get off my case
PinkPangolin View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2009 at 05:08
Originally posted by mmmreesescups mmmreesescups wrote:

Most Prog-artist are just hard to get into, meaning you have to listen to a song multiple times to get the full effect, most listeners hear noise that keeps changing.

That's why most popular music is so simple.

People want sudden impact - the instant coffee syndrome - you need patience and time, and as you say multiple listens - most people can't be bothered to reach those great heights.

Tell that same person to listen to their favourite pop song 10 times over - it soon wears thin - you'll hear them say "I heard that too many times - it's gotten boring" (!)

Thankfully Prog is not like that.

Maybe that's the test to tell whether something is truly Prog or not.
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2009 at 08:58

I think that what it comes down to is that the people who listen to the simple music are just plain simpletons-

CASE STUDY TIME

Gave my frined (listens mainly to pop/trancestuff) my mp3 once to listen to- she gave it back 2 minutes later Ermm

You might be confusing the general with the particular here methinks....yes, the dancy boppy 'keech*' that pollutes the airwaves finds a captivated audience for sure, but never confuse complexity with either depth or substance. Bob Dylan and Lou Reed have rarely ventured further than 4 chords and verse chorus form, but neither's art is simple. Similarly, there are some bands included on this website who offer up only empty, vacuous and sterile virtuosity.

* keech is a Scottish word that translates as the contents of one's botty .Wink
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2009 at 09:27

CASE STUDY TIME

come listen to my album collection....and call me a simpleton.

Case Study Time (pt2)......

'I think that what it comes down to is that the people who listen to the simple music are just plain simpletons'

the type of prog fan that gives prog fans bad names.... 

Case Study Time (pt3)

Prog Elitists are like those who compensate for having small dicks by talking up their abiliites...   a way to mask your insecurities or failures in your life by walking on the tastes and backsof others.

http://www.progarchives.com/forum/member_profile.asp?PF=25148
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
jonnyfrostbite View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2009 at 11:00
Prog is an aquired taste... It works the opposite way round to the typical pop song. Pop songs provide instant gratification, memorability and enjoyment, but too many additional listens tend to render them obnoxious and eventually unlistenable. Paradoxically, Prog music is hard to listen to with a virgin ear, but upon additional hearings and therefore an increased familiarity, the music becomes more enjoyable. Hence, prog music is harder to get into, but ultimately longer-lasting, whilst pop and mainstream music is quick to please, but also quick to dullen. HENCE, whilst pop music constantly flits like a butterfly between the flowers of trend and statistic, accumulating myriads of fans, then losing them in the next season, prog has remained a stalwart rock in a small segment of the population's hearts and playlists for over 40 years. We are the prog rock rocks!

This certainly does not discredit prog naysayers as simpletons, merely that perhaps they have not dedicated the necessary amount of time it takes to get into prog music. Heck, they may even be listening to a form of prog music and not even know it. It's the people who haven't even tried to listen to the genre that can be said to be ignorant, though perhaps stubborn is a better adjective. But if you have tried, and it is not to your taste, so be it; I have met techno and trance-orientated molecular biologists, and Genesis and Gentle Giant-loving janitors, and I know enough about music to know that your taste in it does not define you.
jonnyfrostbite View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2009 at 11:07
ahem.... acquired*
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2009 at 13:20
Originally posted by jonnyfrostbite jonnyfrostbite wrote:

Prog is an aquired taste... It works the opposite way round to the typical pop song. Pop songs provide instant gratification, memorability and enjoyment, but too many additional listens tend to render them obnoxious and eventually unlistenable. Paradoxically, Prog music is hard to listen to with a virgin ear, but upon additional hearings and therefore an increased familiarity, the music becomes more enjoyable. Hence, prog music is harder to get into, but ultimately longer-lasting, whilst pop and mainstream music is quick to please, but also quick to dullen. HENCE, whilst pop music constantly flits like a butterfly between the flowers of trend and statistic, accumulating myriads of fans, then losing them in the next season, prog has remained a stalwart rock in a small segment of the population's hearts and playlists for over 40 years. We are the prog rock rocks!

This certainly does not discredit prog naysayers as simpletons, merely that perhaps they have not dedicated the necessary amount of time it takes to get into prog music. Heck, they may even be listening to a form of prog music and not even know it. It's the people who haven't even tried to listen to the genre that can be said to be ignorant, though perhaps stubborn is a better adjective. But if you have tried, and it is not to your taste, so be it; I have met techno and trance-orientated molecular biologists, and Genesis and Gentle Giant-loving janitors, and I know enough about music to know that your taste in it does not define you.

Or perhaps the stubborn ones are us for listening and listening to something that requires so many listens to get a hold on.
crimhead View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2009 at 13:24
Originally posted by MasterShake MasterShake wrote:

If you don't like progressive music than smoke a joint and listen to Dark Side Of the Moon... helped me.

That works for the Grateful Dead. That and shrooms.
Paranoid_Eyes View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2009 at 02:21
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

CASE STUDY TIME

You might be confusing the general with the particular here methinks....yes, the dancy boppy 'keech*' that pollutes the airwaves finds a captivated audience for sure, but never confuse complexity with either depth or substance. Bob Dylan and Lou Reed have rarely ventured further than 4 chords and verse chorus form, but neither's art is simple. Similarly, there are some bands included on this website who offer up only empty, vacuous and sterile virtuosity.

Oh no, I didn't mean to confuse complexity with depth/substance Confused- what i was trying to say is that i think beause of the fact that she, and in general (generalisation of the masses,people)the 12-20 someting demographic,  listens to the more mainstream music (which is now more of the dance music), and as a result i think,these people don't have the tolerence for prog.

Happy as fish, gorgeous as geese
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2009 at 04:59

Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

CASE STUDY TIME

Oh no, I didn't mean to confuse complexity with depth/substance Confused- what i was trying to say is that i think beause of the fact that she, and in general (generalisation of the masses,people)the 12-20 someting demographic,  listens to the more mainstream music (which is now more of the dance music), and as a result i think,these people don't have the tolerence for prog.

Yep, I'll buy that but 'not having the tolerance' and 'simpleton' are so far apart that 'judgemental' and 'credulous' are more likey to step out together on a blind date. Wink
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2009 at 17:07
Confusing musical tastes with intelligence as some previous posters have just done is actually the triumph of stupid arrogance over real intelligence.

I have known so many "simpleton" pop music fans who are true geniuses and so many absolutely socially-imbecile prog fans. Yes, they might know a lot about abstract useless things, but put them in the real world and they're just.... useless.

Please have some more respect for other people.

(and learn how to type before calling people "simpletons" )

Edited by The T - August 24 2009 at 17:08
Mosis View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2009 at 21:31
I don't know anyone that finds prog rock boring, but I know many people that find it dense, noisy, and cheesy. In fact, most objections to prog that I hear pertain to that last point - buzzing keyboards are a hard thing to take seriously.
Figglesnout View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2009 at 22:15
Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

Confusing musical tastes with intelligence as some previous posters have just done is actually the triumph of stupid arrogance over real intelligence.

I have known so many "simpleton" pop music fans who are true geniuses and so many absolutely socially-imbecile prog fans. Yes, they might know a lot about abstract useless things, but put them in the real world and they're just.... useless.

Please have some more respect for other people.

(and learn how to type before calling people "simpletons" )

I'm a reasonable man, get off my case
Henry Plainview View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2009 at 22:23

CASE STUDY TIME

I know everybody's already beating on you, but while I am fairly elitist about a devotee's taste being better than the "common man", this is the first time I have ever seen someone actually say out loud that listening to trance means you're stupid. Such a thing is far removed even from saying they have bad taste!
Originally posted by PinkPangolin PinkPangolin wrote:

Tell that same person to listen to their favourite pop song 10 times over - it soon wears thin - you'll hear them say "I heard that too many times - it's gotten boring" (!)

Thankfully Prog is not like that.

Maybe that's the test to tell whether something is truly Prog or not.
Actually in my experience pop fans have much more tolerance for repetition than others. You will see people listen to a new song they like 5-10 times in a row, while we are not going to listen to Echoes even twice in a row. And personally I am more willing to repeat the poppier music in my collection than the hyper complex stuff. It's not something I understand, but I listened to Bedlam in Goliath and Now You Are One of Us nearly every day for a little while so there it is.

Edited by Henry Plainview - August 24 2009 at 22:28
if you own a sodastream i hate you
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 39>