Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedIdeas for Concept Albums That Ought to Exist

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 12>
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2012 at 15:19
I think that album was called "Soap Opera" by the Kinks.  You can't beat "Ducks on the Wall"!
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2012 at 19:26
^ Damn fine choice matey, an unjustly neglected Kinks classic in my book.
Quirky Turkey View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2012 at 07:50
War of the Worlds 2: Jupiter Has a Go
progfannick1991 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2012 at 00:57
I think Doctor Who has a lot of potential to be a pretty cool prog/symphonic rock concept album
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2012 at 01:48
Originally posted by Nightshine Nightshine wrote:

A concept album about how concept albums never get done right.

LOL . How about a concept album about the unwillingness to control own desires.

Edited by Dayvenkirq - March 20 2012 at 01:51
Vibrationbaby View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2012 at 09:08
A rock opera based on the life of Jack The Ripper. Spinal Tap's idea that never made it through the conceptual stage.
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2012 at 09:11
A day in the life of an ant.  The epic struggle to avoid getting stepped on by people oblivious to your existence.  Maybe throw in some Kafka references.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2012 at 09:16
Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

A day in the life of an ant.  The epic struggle to avoid getting stepped on by people oblivious to your existence.  Maybe throw in some Kafka references.

And how about kids with a magnifying glass on a sunny day? Shocked
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2012 at 09:31
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

Now we're cookin'.

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2012 at 10:31

Now we're cookin'.

Sucks if you're the ant.
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Sir_pi View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2012 at 10:38

Now we're cookin'.

Don't forget about those darn ant eaters and the war against termites !

I don't know if teas already exist or not but...

An album dedicated to evolution, from begging to end, Preferably going from minimalism to an all out sonic explosion whit out the listener realizing it! 

One concept could be traveling the solar system, Hopping from planet to planet until we hit the sun and die (musically interpreted of course, It is i my belief that killing your audience will be frowned upon by society at large).

CPicard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2012 at 10:44
Harvey Pekar's American Splendor adapted as a musical.
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2012 at 10:58
Originally posted by Sir_pi Sir_pi wrote:

One concept could be traveling the solar system, Hopping from planet to planet until we hit the sun and die (musically interpreted of course, It is i my belief that killing your audience will be frowned upon by society at large).

Holst almost got that right except for that whole diving into the sun bit.

Gazoinks View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2012 at 19:39
One album that I've thought would be cool would be something post-apocalyptic, but NOT about rock & roll saving the world like so many silly albums, it'd instead be more a collection of stories with a loose connecting threat of trying to find a legendary haven.  It'd be multigenre-ish although the songs would probably me or less normal length up to 6 minutes or so, no epics and I pictured it using a storyteller as a framing device.  Something like this, no one steal my idea ;P:

Songs From The Wasteland

1. Wasteland Overture: Instrumental.  Opens as a soundscape with wooshing wind and stuff and the instruments slowly come in, at first mellow before building up energy and ending in a big crash.
2. The Storyteller I: Short folk song that introduces the "storyteller".  Standard "come gather around and I'll tell you my stories" sort of thing.
3. Haven?: Segues directly from The Storyteller and thus starts off in the same mellow folk mood.  The song concerns a husband and wife who leave their crappy home to search for the mythical haven.  The couple think they find it, but it turns out to be a city of bandits and they get killed.  The mood would start off quiet and folky and raise in exuberance as they come closer to their goal before quickly falling back to somber when they're killed.
4. The Storyteller II: A little longer than the first, but still short.  Concerns the storyteller commenting on the last story and introducing the next.  Musically it would reprise the theme from the first storyteller, but with a less sparse feel to it.
5. Junkyard Jack: An energetic and somewhat quirky poppish proggish rock song.  It's about a scavenger who hits the jackpot when he finds a bunch of empty houses with stuff in them.  He sells all the stuff and ends up not having to scavenge any more, although he continues to vaguely wonder about why the houses were empty in the first place.  The song would incorporate samples of machinery, banging on metal, and other junkyard-y sounds.
6. Force of Good: A heavy but sluggishly paced rocker with a constant consuming marching beat.  The song would be from the point of view of a soldier organizing a ragtag army to wipe out some bandits and such, however the soldier is obsessed with vengeance and righteousness and leading his army to Haven almost to the point of insanity.
7. The Storyteller III: This reprise of the theme has a much fuller arrangement with a soothing pop rock sound to it.  The song concerns the Storyteller warning that the next story is long and intense.
8. Calling All Stations: An atmospheric and vaguely threatening track with more synths and electronic-ness than had previously appeared on the album.  The song is about a lone radio broadcaster stuck in the middle of nowhere attempting to contact someone for help as an undefined threat descends upon him.  Right as the threat reaches him, you can faintly hear what sounds like someone responding to him saying they're from Haven.
9. Ghost: This song segues directly from Calling All Stations and is a screaming heavy rocker.  The song is from the point of view of a lunatic serial killer hunting the broadcaster from the above song.  The killer believes he is a spirit of vengeance who has to kill people because they destroyed the world.  
10. The Storyteller IV: Another mellow reprise of the Storyteller theme, this one is instrumental except for some spoken dialogue.  It has a much warmer sound than most of the other songs and includes the sound of a crackling fire.
11. Happiness: Continues the comforting vein of the last track and provides ironic contrast to Haven? with a song about a couple who have accepted that the world sucks but they have managed to eek happiness from it.
12. Wanderer: A sparsely orchestrated song with more wooshing wind effects about a wanderer who's been searching for Haven his entire life.  At the end of the song, he finds it.
13. Haven: The wanderer from the previous song enters Haven.  Starts off hopeful and optimistic as the wanderer enters, but then becomes more angry as he realizes that Haven is crowded and stinky and really not all it's cracked up to be.  The album as a whole reaches its climax as the song rapidly ping pongs between upbeat music and the wanderer considering staying and angry music with the wanderer wanting to leave.  The song ends with the wanderer shouting "I GIVE UP" and the music suddenly stops as more wooshing is heard.
14. The Storyteller V: This Storyteller is sadder than the rest, with the storyteller musing on disappointment and how nobody knew what Haven was and yet they were all disappointed.  He considers that maybe the trick is to be happy with what you have.
15. Heaven: A soaring proggish song with more keyboard usage than in previous songs.  The song abandons the characters of the rest of the album and is instead about happiness as a whole and how if you build things up in your mind you'll often be disappointed.
16. The Storyteller Exits: A very short reprise of the first storyteller in which the storyteller says goodbye.
17. Wasteland Symphony: Instrumental.  The opposite of the Wasteland Overture.  Starts off bombastic and upbeat and slowly decreases in energy until it's just the sound of wind slowly fading out.

That was fun, I'll have to do it again sometime.

Edited by Gazoinks - March 20 2012 at 20:41
Play me my song...
Newest discovery: Shadow Circus
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2012 at 19:46
^^ Very evocative description.  I remember years ago I storyboarded out a concept album like that, albeit on a much different topic.  But I had the "mood" of each song figured out in my head, and had even written some lyrics and knew the approximate running time of each song.  I had such an imagination when I was young, what happened to me... Cry

-Kehlog Albran
Zombywoof View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2012 at 21:26
I think someone should make a concept album about "Manos" the Hates of Fate, but from Torgo's point of view....
Continue the prog discussion here: http://zombyprog.proboards.com/index.cgi ...
Textbook View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2012 at 23:05
I'm this close to starting a thread for concept albums that ought not to exist.
Quirky Turkey View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2012 at 08:25
Challenge accepted Gazoinks. I will make this album. Might be a few years until it's done.
JediJoker7169 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2012 at 05:10
Originally posted by Nightshine Nightshine wrote:

A concept album about how concept albums never get done right.

Or maybe just a concept album about... The making of an album.  The life of a band under studio pressure.  An album by a recording artist, for recording artists, if you will (no, Wish You Were Here does not count).

That, or one about the history of the recording industry.  From the earliest days of wax cylinders to the current sorry state of overcompressed, low-quality digital downloads.

In either case, the album could simply be called...

REC

REC

Edited by JediJoker7169 - April 08 2012 at 05:12
RoyFairbank View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2012 at 14:14
Art Is Dying

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 12>