FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedIf you're younger than 18

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 33>
Author
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2011 at 12:21
I'm 17 and I never really touched prog metal. To make a point I kinda can't stand DT. I started with the classics, Tull, Yes, KC (I am 17 I only right in initials, k?). It didn't take me long to move mainly to the RIO stuff (A lot of the stuff I discovered here). Right now I'm more or less obsessed with all Cardiacs, Tatsuya Yoshida, Henry Cow (also kinda classic), and Residents. I actually have proven my prog knowledge more than once. I rather schooled a bunch of men of older age in Soft Machine knowledge during a Daevid Allen concert this summer (one of the best concerts I ever was in). I felt so very proud.
autumnekramer View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2011 at 07:45
I actually love like all of those bands too! Did you ever listen to any Hawkwind??
--Warrior on the Edge of Time
frippism View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2011 at 09:11
To be honest I've never really been a fan of Hawkwing (Except Warrior on the Edge Of Time, which from a few listens was quite enjoyable). I've been a Canterbury freak for a few years now. Just started with Quiet Sun, and really shows Phil Manzanera at his best. 
StarMan2112 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2011 at 19:32
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

Nope.  All proggers under 18 only like prog-metal, and all old guys only like Genesis.Wink

Originally posted by The_Jester The_Jester wrote:

Is there young progers out there that still appreciate something else in prog than prog metal? I'm of those guys.

Im 14 And i have seen yes live ,rush live, and next week i am seeing IAN ANDERSON LIVE......  Prog metal aint bad but most of it sucks the only really good prog metal is the one of dream theater

Any Colour You Like View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2011 at 21:18
Originally posted by StarMan2112 StarMan2112 wrote:

Prog metal aint bad but most of it sucks the only really good prog metal is the one of dream theater

Sweet Jesus...
The Truth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2011 at 00:18
Originally posted by Any Colour You Like Any Colour You Like wrote:

Prog metal aint bad but most of it sucks the only really good prog metal is the one of dream theater

Sweet Jesus...
TheLionOfPrague View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2011 at 11:06
Originally posted by The Truth The Truth wrote:

Sweet Jesus...
I shook my head and smiled a whisper knowing all about the place
AerosolKid95 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2011 at 16:30
I'm 15 and I like Dream Theater and Symphony X but they don't even come close to Yes or Genesis for me.
MoodyRush View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2011 at 17:31
Uh... I'm 18, so close enough! Jethro Tull, Rush and Yes got me into prog, so I would by no means stereotype myself as a metalhead. Gentle Giant and Porcupine are newer faves and I've started branching into VDGG, Opeth, Dream Theater, italian prog (PFM), some jazz-fusion (Bitches Brew, Lizard, The Grand Wazoo), and zeuhl (MDK), though I must say the zeuhl is something I haven't totally got yet. I prefer the classics, some metal is alright. My non-prog music is classic rock (which I grew up on), and hardcore (which my high school friends have much effort to get me into!).

Edited by MoodyRush - April 01 2011 at 17:56
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2011 at 19:58
I'm 55 and I don't belong in here!  Heh!  Seriously, I was into ITCOTCK when I was 14, and Yes, Focus and ELP by 16, so indeed, there is hope for the young.  

Some of 'em anyway.  It would help if there were some NEW bands creating music up to par with the OLD ones....I just haven't heard any.  Is there an up & coming symphonic band that is not full of wheezers as old as Yes??
Steven Brodziak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2011 at 20:44
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

It's always dangerous to stereotype, in whatever form.

I'm actually constantly amazed by the breadth of knowledge of the genre by some of our younger members. a lot of them can put us oldies to shame!
46 here and agree with above. But until they know every lyric to Supper's Ready lol. I applaud the younger generation that stayed away from the radio! Long live progressive music. Side note. Try Neal Morse. You might like him.
Well, there it is. (Amadeus)
Steven Brodziak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2011 at 20:46
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

I'm 55 and I don't belong in here!  Heh!  Seriously, I was into ITCOTCK when I was 14, and Yes, Focus and ELP by 16, so indeed, there is hope for the young.  

Some of 'em anyway.  It would help if there were some NEW bands creating music up to par with the OLD ones....I just haven't heard any.  Is there an up & coming symphonic band that is not full of wheezers as old as Yes??
Unfortunately, the closest is oldies like Flower Kings, Morse. IQ is pretty decent!
Well, there it is. (Amadeus)
Mista-Gordie View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2011 at 10:51
I'm 17 and my favorite sub genre is symphonic prog. I also love the dark ambiences like in King Crimson, Hawkwind, VDGG, Anglagard, GY!BE and Ozric Tentacles, but progressive metal is really not one of my favorite sub-genres. I like Dream Theater and Opeth a lot, even if they arent in my fave bands, and it's the only two bands of this style that I listen to. brw I'm not a big fan of Tool
Andy Webb View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2011 at 11:18

Sweet Jesus...

LOLLOLLOL

Someone agrees with me Wink

Jk, Jk, all you DT haters dont attack me.
Although Dream Theater are still my favorite band, there are so many prog metal acts that are at equal level with them (but none above them Tongue)
Mista-Gordie View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2011 at 21:56

[/QUOTE]

I'm not a Prog metal fan but I'm not stupid and I'd never say that it sucks just because I don't completely understand it. btw Dream Theater is really similar to many other prog metal bands and if you like it, you'd like some other bands. I guess that you've listened to DT, Opeth and Tool and you think that you prog metal enough to say it sucks

arcane-beautiful View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2011 at 05:11
I'm 18...and I love all types of prog...from metal, to Genesis, to weird experimental stuff
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2011 at 19:42
Get the hell off my lawn. Tongue
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Atoms View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2011 at 04:19
I'm 17 and I listen mostly to the old stuff, I listen to a bit of the newer stuff, but mostly music from the 70s. My favorite sub-genres are prog-folk and eclectic prog. I entered prog from the classic side of course, but I didn't listen to bands like Crimson or Genesis until I found this site. The prog bands I listened to was: Yes, Gong, Jethro Tull, Pink Floyd and some smaller acts like Audience.

I have a bit of a hard time to enjoy prog metal, but that's only because I don't hear that much of a difference between prog metal bands, for example you could put on an album by Gentle Giant or Focus and I will most likely hear that. But with metal all the bands sound the same. However, there is some metal acts that I do in fact like, Opeth and Devin are two examples. 

If anyone is willing to recomend something to me, I will check that out. As I said, I like folk-prog and similiar stuff. My favorite bands are: Van Der Graaf Generator, Spirogyra, Strawbs, Roy Harper and Pink Floyd. I hope that gives you some kind of idea of what I like.

Edited by Atoms - April 20 2011 at 04:20
jsem View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2011 at 06:40
I'm 16. I must admit that DT was my gateway into prog, and it's probably my favorite prog band. But I listen to tons of Yes, Genesis, ELP, Supertramp etc. Run of the mill prog metal doesn't excite me that much, with the exceptions of DT and Symphony X (yes cheesy... but I like what I like).
brainstormer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2011 at 06:30
I recommend the young generation to check out the album Unicorn by Tyrannosaurus Rex.   They were a band
that were somewhat influential around early proto-prog times.  It's a very strange and different album. 
--
Robert Pearson
Regenerative Music http://www.regenerativemusic.net
Telical Books http://www.telicalbooks.com
ParaMind Brainstorming Software http://www.paramind.net

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 33>