Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - What albums did you listen to today?...continued
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What albums did you listen to today?...continued

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 9394959697 527>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 3.33  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2017 at 12:32
I sure hope they do. I really dig that debut of theirs - in particular the guitarist who also plays with Agusa. Fantastic player whos name escapes me right this minute.

Priglacit was my introduction to Transit Express, but you're absolutely right - I love that one. Again, what an absolute maniac of a drummer. Busy like an amphetamine fuelled bee a la Furio Chirico (Arti e Mestieri) THE most frenetic percussionist ever to walk the planet.

Today:

Pierrot Lunaire - Gudrun
Fela Kuti & Ginger Baker - Live
Steve Miller Band - Brave New World
Magazine - Secondhand Daylight
David Bowie - Lodger
The Future Sound Of London - Dead Cities
Poa - Blocco Mentale
Lucio Battisti - Anima Latina

Edited by Guldbamsen - February 03 2017 at 12:33
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
ALotOfBottle View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALotOfBottle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2017 at 13:19

Sonny Rollins - Sonny Rollins in Japan One of the few more fusion-y works by Sonny Rollins and what an excellent one. This performance is steaming! Loads of lengthy modal improvisations rooted in rich rhythmic ground. No keyboards, all their duties are served by the guitar, which is excellent on here. Fantastic!

The Residents - Meet the Residents The First Album by North Louisiana's Phenomenal Pop Combo. Love this stuff. Really no other band like this. They manage to be consciously overly strange without losing the admirable compositional and sound-organizational skills. Amazing stuff, I will have to investigate more of their music in the close future.

Kraftwerk - Kraftwerk 2 I'm quite sure I'm in a minority, but this one is my favorite Kraftwerk album. The opener, "Klinglang" is incredibly beautiful, but every track has something distinctively different to offer. Loads of exploratory experiments with tapes and instruments. Excellent!

Yusef Lateef - Yusef Lateef's Detroit Latitude 42° 30' Longitude 83° Fantastic inexplicable music. The harmonic content points towards post-bop, but the performance itself suggests elements of fusion, soul-jazz, and avant-garde. Instrumentally rich, this album is definitely not your average 1969 jazz release.

Syrinx - Long Lost Relatives I've been curious about this band for a while and I had to check it out after seeing the recent RVNG Intl. box set. Very unique music, it is undeniably electronic, but there are strong psychedelic rock and jazz influences here. Also, the orchestral arrangements - these add even more of an individual character to this one. Very good!

Czesław Niemen - Mourner's Rhapsody I was intrigued by this album of one of my country's greatest progressive rock musicians after reading the rather interesting labels it has on Discogs - "Space Age," "Prog Rock," "Afrobeat," "Psychedelic Rock..." It's a great album with phenomenal songs played by superb fusion musicians. Great stuff.

Borden, Ferraro, Godin, Halo & Lopatin - FRKWYS Vol. 7 One of my favorite electronic albums of the 21st century. The music is never harsh here, it flows naturally like a mountain stream. Timbrally attractive, well-planned, what else is there to want? Excellent.

Edited by ALotOfBottle - February 03 2017 at 13:21
Categories strain, crack and sometimes break, under their burden - step out of the space provided.
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2017 at 00:50
Friday...

John Garcia - The Coyote Who Spoke In Tongues  (Palm Desert, CA  2017)
Acoustic desert rock 

Hermano - Into The Exam Room  (Palm Desert, CA  2007)
Desert rock, stoner rock feat. John Garcia (vocals) 

Moon Circle - You're On The Moon  (France  2013)
Mostly instrumental, psych, stoner trio 

Omega Massif - Geisterstadt  (Wurzburg, Germany  2007)
Instrumental doom, post rock with some laid back passages

Karma To Burn - Appalachian Incantation  (Morgantown, WV  2010)
Instrumental (vocals on one track) desert rock, stoner rock 

Heavy Stone - Black Magic  (Tel Aviv, Israel  2017)
Very hot hard rock, stoner rock power trio 

Ruby The Hatchet - Ouroboros   (Philadelphia, PA  2012)
Female fronted psych rock, blues rock, stoner rock 

Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2017 at 08:02
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Andrew Hill - Compulsion (jazz that makes you go swoop)

Great to see you digging Mr Hill David! He was a true genius IMO. I don't know how much of his oeuvre you are familiar with, but I'd say absolutely everything he did on Blue Note in the sixties is essential listening for fans of creative / avant jazz. And he was quite prolific too.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALotOfBottle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2017 at 11:57

Yussef Kamaal - Black Focus Excellent housey soul-fusion released last year on Gilles Peterson’s Brownswood Records. The rhythm section is out of this world here, the drums and bass work perfectly, and so does the beautiful Rhodes piano. From time to time, we also get horns with notable trumpet playing. Phenomenal!

Egg - Egg Not as excellent as The Polite Force, but listening to this album feels deeply nostalgic. I can still remember when I have first discovered what would become my favorite band of all time, Egg. The whole aura of this album felt so mysterious, unique, and eccentric. It still does.

Bill Laswell  - Baselines Great album. I thought it would be good to get my hands on Bill Laswell’s discography as a whole, so I’ve started with his first solo release. Already, Laswell presents incredibly original, self-assured material that does not sound quite like anything else. A bit of jazz, funk, dub, avant-garde, but no labels properly describe this.

Jan Dukes De Grey - Mice and Rats in the Loft The nostalgia strikes again! Awww man, I remember how much I loved this album last year (not a long time ago, isn’t it?). I wrote a 5-star review of that album back then, maybe a bit too quickly, but now I know it was an appropriate rating. “Sun Symphonica” is unearthly, I thought I had remembered it well, but it was such a revealing re-listen. Amazing.

Joe Henderson - Multiple Rather average and forgettable in the overall reception, but good nonetheless. Great solos, which are at the same time modal and “free.” Also, I quite like the variety it has, going from spiritual-fusion-esque character of the first track to the swinging pace of the last track.

The Residents - The Third Reich’n’Roll I’m really enjoying The Residents lately, although enjoyment is probably not the purpose of this music. As I said yesterday, they are excellent musicians and composers in addition to making this odd uncompromising post-American statement.

The Residents - Santa Dog A short four-song single, which is the first-known release by The Residents. A bit more comparable to other things in the musical world, but still extremely weird and fascinating.

Wolfgang Dauner’s Et Cetera - Knirsch This is a grower. I’m still not engaged by everything on this album, but the best moments of this one really are delightful. Synth melodies, guitar solos, and free-improvisation - these are some of the highlights. Will be coming back to see if I can appreciate the work as a whole.

Categories strain, crack and sometimes break, under their burden - step out of the space provided.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2017 at 13:49
Originally posted by Mascodagama Mascodagama wrote:

Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Andrew Hill - Compulsion (jazz that makes you go swoop)

Great to see you digging Mr Hill David! He was a true genius IMO. I don't know how much of his oeuvre you are familiar with, but I'd say absolutely everything he did on Blue Note in the sixties is essential listening for fans of creative / avant jazz. And he was quite prolific too.

It is rather peculiar that this remains my sole Hill purchase as I absolutely adore the album. I shall investigate - at least you pointed out something I was wondering about some 10 years ago but obviously forgot the matter.

Today was an awesome day. Great coffee, nuts, buddha and music:

Continuum - s/t
Dr John - Gris-Gris
Psyched Up Janis - Swell
Carniscalia - s/t (Demetrio Stratos is on fire!)
Arco Iris - Los Elementales
Pescado Rabioso - Artaud (fave Argentinian album)
Fela Kuti & Ginger Baker - Live
Glenn Branca - Ascension
Terry Riley - In C
Popol Vuh - Affenstunde
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Magnum Vaeltaja View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnum Vaeltaja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2017 at 21:45
Gary Burton - Works - A nice compilation of ECM jazz/fusion material, prominently featuring Burton's stellar vibraphone chops, but also including some combos and collaborations with other artists, including Chick Corea. This is quality stuff, as most ECM releases are, and set a great mood for a quiet, cloudy Saturday.

Chick Corea - Return To Forever - This is my first expedition into Return To Forever aside from their most acclaimed work, Romantic Warrior, which is a favourite of mine. This debut album is certainly a lot less rock oriented, and a heck of a lot more mellow (the fact that this was an ECM release explains that), but that doesn't strike me as problematic at all. Great performances from all involved, and there are both phenomenal grooves and light, airy expanses. I actually quite like the added touch of the flute and vocals, too.

Herbie Hancock - Sextant - Yeah! As much as I love that moody, sentimental ECM sound, I figured it was about time to put on something a bit more daring. Gotta love this one, there's really no other album out there like it. To quote my newly updated review, Sextant is "futuristic and cosmic, yet earthy and organic, paradoxically intertwined in a vast astral plane." Super cool album in so many respects.

Can - Ege Bamyasi - After a nice segue into the world of experimental with Sextant, I figured that it would be a good idea to get some Can thrown in the mix. This is certainly a very different sound from Future Days, but very intriuging nonetheless.

Osanna - L'Uomo - This is the second Osanna album that I've gotten around to listening to after the phenomenal Palepoli. Wow! This humble debut is surprisingly diverse, but I guess that comes as little surprise given what these guys would evolve into within the next year or so. Definitely a lot more blues-based than Palepoli but I don't care; these guys are awesome! So much charisma and energy throughout, but not at the expense of quality control. One minute they're embracing soft Italian romance, the next they're laying 'er down like a deep cut off a Skynyrd album. Love it!

Maxophone - Maxophone - Wow, another Italian gem that's flown under my radar for far too long! This is quintessential symphonic RPI and an outstanding example of the genre. Great stuff.

when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2017 at 00:24
Luna  Sol - Blood Moon  (Denver, Colorado  2015)
Desert rock, stoner rock 

Palm Desert - Songs From The Dead Seas   (Wroclaw, Poland  2015)
Heavy psych, desert, grunge  

Stars That Move - Stars That Move  (Waycross, Georgia  2015)
Female fronted heavy stoner doom trio 

Monkey3 - Beyond The Black Sky  (Lausanne, Switzerland  2011)
Instrumental, psychedelic, space, stoner 

Mother Mars - Steam Machine Museum  (Sydney, Australia  2013)
Heavy rock, stoner, fuzz, doom 

Golden Void - Berkana  (Oakland, CA  2012)
Melodic psych, classic rock influenced, good guitar and vocals 

Banquet - Jupiter Rose  (San Francisco, CA  2016)
Dual guitar driven 70s hard rock with solid bass and drums 

Prog Snob View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Snob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2017 at 00:40
Dream Theater - Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence
Ayreon - The Human Equation
Camel - Moonmadness

Next up:
Porcupine Tree - Lightbulb Sun
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALotOfBottle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2017 at 12:26
Max Roach - We Insist! Max Roach's Freedom Now Suite
Les Rallizes Denudes - Heavier Than a Death in the Family
The Human Beast - Volume One
Faust - Ravvivando
Henry Cow - Unreleased Orckestra Extract
Herbert F. Bairy - Traumspiel
Nosfteratu - Nosferatu
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2017 at 16:43
Some classics mixed in with some obscurities. ;)

Peter Gabriel-- OVO
Peter Gabriel-- Secret world Live:1994
Kotebel-- Structures
Dperd-- Kore ( I think a lot of people in the RPI den would dig this Italian Dark wave band. )
Dream Theater-- Images & Words ( Happy 25th Anniversary to this absolutely beautiful album. Many years of joy with this one. A true classic.)
Genesis-- TLLDOB ( another true classic. Nuff said. )
Mythos-- Reality of a Dreamer
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnum Vaeltaja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2017 at 21:56
Return to Forever - Hymn To The Seventh Galaxy
Van der Graaf Generator - Godbluff
Amon Duul II - Yeti
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2017 at 00:33
Sunday...

Eternal Tapestry - A World Out Of Time  (Portland, Oregon  2012)
Instrumental improvised psychedelic space rock 

Domadora - The Violent Mystical Sukuma  (Paris, France  2016)
Instrumental heavy psych jam trio similar to Earthless 

Cruces - Cruces  EP   (Pittsburgh, PA  2015)
Female fronted blues rock, stoner, doom  

Space Guerrilla - Boundless  (Porto Alegre, Brazil  2014)
Instrumental stoner rock jam trio 

Giza - Migration  (Seattle, WA  2015)
Instrumental sludge stoner doom trio 

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALotOfBottle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2017 at 12:07
Beggar's Opera - Waters of Change
Frank Zappa - Lumpy Gravy
DeadSouls View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeadSouls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2017 at 13:17
Originally posted by ALotOfBottle ALotOfBottle wrote:

Was it your first listen? Did you like it?
mechanicalflattery View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mechanicalflattery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2017 at 18:42
Haven't been around for awhile, I'll keep this limited to the albums I heard for the first time over at least the last few weeks...

Roxy Music - Roxy Music
My Bloody Valentine - Loveless
Jackie McLean - One Step Beyond
Jackie McLean - Destination... Out!
Einsturzende Neubauten - Halber Mensch
Art Bears - The World As It Is Today
Coil - How to Destroy Angels
News From Babel - Work Resumed On The Tower
Jon Hassell - Fourth World, Vol 1: Possible Musics
Jon Hassell - Fourth World, Vol 2: Dream Theory in Malaya
Sonny Sharrock - Black Woman
Tim Buckley - Lorca
Catapilla - Catapilla
Catapilla - Changes
Pain Teens - Destroy Me, Lover
John Berberian - Music Of The Middle East
Alphataurus - Alphataurus
Feminist Improvising Group - Feminist Improvising Group
Joan La Barbara - Voice Is The Original Instrument
Naked City - Grand Guignol
Naked City - Heretic: Jeux Des Dames Cruelles
Naked City - Leng Tch'e
Larkstongue41 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larkstongue41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2017 at 19:34
Frank Zappa - Weasels Ripped My Flesh
Siouxsie & The Banshees - Hyaena
The Cure - Pornography
Ash Ra Tempel - Schwingungen
The Moody Blues - To Our Children's Children's Children
Don Cherry - Organic Music Society
"Larks' tongues. Wrens' livers. Chaffinch brains. Jaguars' earlobes. Wolf nipple chips. Get 'em while they're hot. They're lovely. Dromedary pretzels, only half a denar."
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnum Vaeltaja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2017 at 22:19
Van Halen - OU812 - Probably my least favourite Van Halen album from their original run of 10 prior to Van Halen III, though it still has some great cuts. Mine All Mine and A.F.U. (Naturally Wired) might just be two of the best songs Sammy Hagar has worked on.

Black Sabbath - Paranoid - 

Lynyrd Skynyrd - Gimme Back My Bullets - This one always disappointed me a little given how much amazing demo material they had accumulated by this point in their career. If they put on stuff like I've Been Your Fool or Four Walls of Raiford instead of the boring Same Old Blues, this one would be right up there with the debut and Street Survivors. I am appreciative of a few select numbers on here, though, namely All I Can Do Is Write About It. Makes me tear up and wish I was back in the heart of Dixie, despite never having been there. LOL

Joe Satriani - Flying In A Blue Dream - Unlike many, I actually like the vocal tracks on here. I also like just how much variety there is on this one compared to your average Satriani album. Some hard rock, some funk, some bluegrass, even some prog.  

Tako - Tako - First listen to this one. Pretty great psychedelic/spacey prog. Not a fan of the vocals, but the instrumental passages are super well done. 
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2017 at 00:58
Monday...

Sophie's Earthquake - Sophie's Earthquake EP  (Wurttemberg, Germany  2013)
Mostly instrumental heavy psych, space, stoner 

Knall - Eternity   (Cologne, Germany  2013)
Improvised instrumental psych rock, krautrock jams 

Knall - Compliments For Fishing  (Cologne, Germany  2013)
Improvised instrumental psych rock, krautrock jams 

Mamont - Passing Through The Mastery Door  (Sweden  2012)
Retro psych, stoner rock 

Monkey3 - The 5th Sun   (Lausanne, Switzerland  2013)
Instrumental psychedelic space rock 

John Garcia - The Coyote Who Spoke In Tongues  (Palm Desert, CA  2017)
Acoustic desert rock 
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALotOfBottle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2017 at 09:26
Originally posted by DeadSouls DeadSouls wrote:

Originally posted by ALotOfBottle ALotOfBottle wrote:

Was it your first listen? Did you like it?

Yes, but not to the band, just this album. I've been enjoying their music quite a lot lately, there is just a very special atmosphere to it that I really, especially on the unimprovised psychedelic parts. This album was very noisy, which, on that particular day, did not go great with the giant migraine I had, but other than that, it was great. TongueActually, even though I had known them before (in one of the short-lived bands I played guitar in, we used a lot of massive fuzz/feedback noises that we got the idea for from the bits of LRD I had heard back then), one of the tracks from the Space Funeral soundtrack, that you told me about, used samples from a song by LRD. And, because I really enjoyed that track, I thought I would want to investigate them some more. Smile What other albums would you recommend?

Edited by ALotOfBottle - February 07 2017 at 09:28
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 9394959697 527>