Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - What albums did you listen to today?...continued
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What albums did you listen to today?...continued

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 9495969798 527>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 3.33  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
DeadSouls View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeadSouls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2017 at 10:23
Originally posted by ALotOfBottle ALotOfBottle wrote:

Yes, but not to the band, just this album. I've been enjoying their music quite a lot lately, there is just a very special atmosphere to it that I really, especially on the unimprovised psychedelic parts. This album was very noisy, which, on that particular day, did not go great with the giant migraine I had, but other than that, it was great. TongueActually, even though I had known them before (in one of the short-lived bands I played guitar in, we used a lot of massive fuzz/feedback noises that we got the idea for from the bits of LRD I had heard back then), one of the tracks from the Space Funeral soundtrack, that you told me about, used samples from a song by LRD. And, because I really enjoyed that track, I thought I would want to investigate them some more. Smile What other albums would you recommend?

Well, you started with the most iconic and characteristic album of their catalogue, essential for noise heads but not for you. I know very well that band and the albums you may particulary like:

1. Cable Hogue Soundtrack - The best compilation of Live LRD IMO, the sound quality is much better and clear, in comparison to Heavier Than a Death in the FamilySmile

2. Mars Studio 1980 - Do you want to hear the cleanest versions of their songs? Try that one, LRD at the studio. My favorite.

3. Mizutani - Another attempt to record in studio, more like an acoustic session than the usual electrified LRD.

4. Mizutani 2 - Pretty much in the same vibe of the previous mixed with some Live takes.

5. Double Heads - Magnum opus. Wink
ALotOfBottle View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALotOfBottle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2017 at 12:18
Originally posted by DeadSouls DeadSouls wrote:

Well, you started with the most iconic and characteristic album of their catalogue, essential for noise heads but not for you. I know very well that band and the albums you may particulary like:

1. Cable Hogue Soundtrack - The best compilation of Live LRD IMO, the sound quality is much better and clear, in comparison to Heavier Than a Death in the FamilySmile

2. Mars Studio 1980 - Do you want to hear the cleanest versions of their songs? Try that one, LRD at the studio. My favorite.

3. Mizutani - Another attempt to record in studio, more like an acoustic session than the usual electrified LRD.

4. Mizutani 2 - Pretty much in the same vibe of the previous mixed with some Live takes.

5. Double Heads - Magnum opus. Wink

Thanks a ton, José! I will check them all out during the weekend! I feel like LRD's catalog is difficult to investigate, so I really appreciate your recommendations. I do like noise and I like their noisy material, but I like it when they do softer psychedelic stuff even more! Smile Again, thank you very much.

Today:
Bo Hansson - Magician's Hat
Earthstar - Salterbarty Tales
Categories strain, crack and sometimes break, under their burden - step out of the space provided.
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2017 at 13:25
Rain day today for me, so no work.

Black Sabbath-- Reunion ( f**king Incredible!! I feel like OZZY is singing right beside me. )
Trivium-- Vengeance Falls
Fields of the Nephilim-- Revelations
Metroland-- Mind the gap ( Dave (Guldbamsen) you'd love this album my friend. )
Black Sabbath-- Never Say Die
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
floyd4 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floyd4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2017 at 13:34
Megadeth- Rust in Peace: Best album for getting ready for school.
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2017 at 13:50
Originally posted by floyd4 floyd4 wrote:

Megadeth- Rust in Peace: Best album for getting ready for school.

Yes. Those chugging drums in the middle section of Hangar 18 would really make you move through the door!
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2017 at 00:43
Tuesday...

Electric Magma - Silver Ball  (Toronto, Canada  2015)
Instrumental, stoner rock, heavy riff trio 

The Re-Stoned - Vermel  (Moscow, Russia  2011)
Instrumental stoner/riff rock recorded live 

Palm Desert - Pearls From The Muddy Hollow  (Wroclaw, Poland  2015)
Heavy stoner, desert, fuzz rock 

Kaleidobolt - The Zenith Cracks  (Helsinki, Finland  2016)
Classic style hard rock, psych, stoner trio

Spelljammer - Ancient Of Days  (Stockholm, Sweden  2015)
Heavy psych, doom, stoner trio 

mechanicalflattery View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mechanicalflattery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2017 at 20:06
Yesterday:
It's a Beautiful Day - It's a Beautiful Day

Today:
Sun Ra - When Angels Speak of Love
Noah Howard - The Black Ark
Thatfabulousalien View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thatfabulousalien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2017 at 20:23
New album from Ben Levin Group (Bent Knee)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Thatfabulousalien - February 08 2017 at 20:24
Classical music isn't dead, it's more alive than it's ever been. It's just not on MTV.

https://www.soundcloud.com/user-322914325
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2017 at 01:02
Wednesday...

DeepSpacePilots - Point Of No Return  (Chicago, IL  2016)
Psych, stoner, doom trio 

Elevators To The Grateful Sky - Cape Yawn  (Palermo, Italy  2016)
70s heavy rock, stoner, psych, doom 

Ape Machine - War To Head  (Portland, Oregon  2011)
Guitar driven hard rock, riff rock with good rock vocals

Deaf Proof - Death Sounds Angry  (Freiburg, Germany  2014)
Psych, stoner, doom, fuzz 

Deaf Proof - Blood Red Sky Sessions  (Freiburg, Germany  2015)
Psych, stoner, doom, fuzz 

Hashshashin - nihsahshsaH  (Sydney, Australia  2016)
Psychedelic Middle Eastern experimental drone rock 

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALotOfBottle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2017 at 12:52
Catherine Ribeiro & Alpes - Paix
Amon Duul II - Phallus Dei
Categories strain, crack and sometimes break, under their burden - step out of the space provided.
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2017 at 23:27
Thursday...

Rainbow Bridge - Dirty Sunday  (Barletta, Italy  2017)
Instrumental blues rock, psych, jam trio (recorded live in studio)

Concrete Jelly - Getting Noticed  (Trieste, Italy  2017)
Blues rock, hard rock, stoner rock 

Curse The Son - Isolator  (Hamden, Connecticut  2016)
Heavy, down tuned, fuzz trio 

Humbaba - A Timeless Mass  (Istanbul, Turkey  2017)
Heavy psych, stoner, doom 

Buddha Sentenza - mode0909   (Heidelberg, Germany  2009)
Instrumental, heavy psych, stoner, acid rock 

Astral Cult - The Sacred Flame  (Folsom, CA  2016)
Heavy psych, doom, stoner, fuzz 

Mars Era - Dharmanaut  (Firenze, Italy  2017)
Heavy psych, stoner, metal 

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALotOfBottle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2017 at 12:58
Hiro Yanagida - Milk Time
Faust - BBC Sessions +
Les Rallizes Dénudés - Cable Hogue Soundtrack (Thanks a lot for this recommendation, José. It's a very interesting album. In the beginning, it's a bit hard to digest, but once you get accomodated with the its aesthetic, it flows surprisingly smoothly. Thumbs Up Really good!)
The Tea Company - Come and Have Some Tea With the Tea Company
DeadSouls View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeadSouls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2017 at 13:57
Originally posted by ALotOfBottle ALotOfBottle wrote:

Les Rallizes Dénudés - Cable Hogue Soundtrack (Thanks a lot for this recommendation, José. It's a very interesting album. In the beginning, it's a bit hard to digest, but once you get accomodated with the its aesthetic, it flows surprisingly smoothly. Thumbs Up Really good!)

Glad you liked it! Wink I'll listen to this later, it's been a long time since I haven't heard anything by LRD.

Edit: I'm wondering why I recommended it to you. Confused I have more negative points than positive, to start, the sound quality is poor, although some of them sound decent, songs are incomplete but that's usual on live compilations, they're three versions of "Night of the Assasins" and two of "The Last One" in it, so you get repeated tunes and very long ones. They're good spotlights too, like the 8 minute version of "Night of the Assasins" with the sax solo at the end, and the clean version of "White Waking" (The song that's in the Space Funeral Soundtrack). Definitely it's not very easy to digest, taking it by portions works better. Embarrassed

I revised all the others recommendations: 

You'll get the best sound in Mars Studio 1980 (3CD), but again, it's like an actual recording session with many takes and some outtakes, don't feel forced to check all of them. Pass the third disc for now, it's noisy and not very accesible for my ears.

Mizutani is good psychedelic folk, only a bit bland, the last two songs ("The Last One", yes, another version LOL and "Otherwise Fallin' in Love With") are very powerful.

I don't think Mizutani 2 is really an essential listen, pass it.  

Double Heads (6CD) means three soundboard concerts, the sound quality is excellent. You'll be fine with the first 2 CD's. Thumbs Up

I had to do this correction. I didn't checked them when I posted it. Ouch

Edited by DeadSouls - February 10 2017 at 16:24
Prog Sothoth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Sothoth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2017 at 20:17
Lots of stuff the past week:

Jethro Tull - Heavy Horses: One of those albums I should really like, but I just couldn't get into it. Probably needs more listens to sink in, but I was dozing. 

Jethro Tull - Crest of a Knave: Aah...the metal albumLOL. It's not bad, and the musicanship is quite good, but again, it just didn't really click on my first listen.

Jethro Tull - Plays like a mid-life crisis I can understand. Silly and not all that progressive, but I was surprisingly entertained by this one. Ian being all perverted...damnLOL

Venom - Welcome to Hell: Nasty little piece of work that inspired so much mayhem. More like a satanic Motorhead than anything thrashy, featuring lots of drugs, sex and Satan. Depraved, though kinda tongue-in-cheek.

Christian Death - Only Theatre of Pain: It had taken so many listens through the years to get used to Rozz' vocals on this one, but persevered due to Rick's cool guitarwork, and eventually found that the singing does in fact work with the music as a whole. Liked his change of vocal style on their next release more though (but miss Rick).

ELP - Tarkus: I always liked Bitches Crystal, though as a youngster I was afraid to show my mum the album since I was worried she scold me for owning something with such a title! My Black Sabbath Paranoid album almost made her faint back in the day. A few years later I was listening to Slayer. Such angst I had.
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2017 at 23:50
Friday...

Rumble Jam - Redemption  (Greece  2017)
Instrumental hard rock, stoner rock 

Fuzz Mantra - The Stonewolf  (Copenhagen, Denmark  2014)
Female fronted psychedelic stoner rock 

It Was The Elf - Fire Green  (Guarda, Portugal  2016)
Heavy rock, stoner, fuzz 

Snake Thursday - Iter   (Poznan, Poland  2014)
Desert, stoner, heavy fuzz trio 

Holy Monitor - Holy Monitor  (Athens, Greece  2017)
Psychedelic krautrock, space rock 

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALotOfBottle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2017 at 00:33
Originally posted by DeadSouls DeadSouls wrote:

Edit: I'm wondering why I recommended it to you. Confused I have more negative points than positive, to start, the sound quality is poor, although some of them sound decent, songs are incomplete but that's usual on live compilations, they're three versions of "Night of the Assasins" and two of "The Last One" in it, so you get repeated tunes and very long ones. They're good spotlights too, like the 8 minute version of "Night of the Assasins" with the sax solo at the end, and the clean version of "White Waking" (The song that's in the Space Funeral Soundtrack). Definitely it's not very easy to digest, taking it by portions works better. Embarrassed

I revised all the others recommendations: 

You'll get the best sound in Mars Studio 1980 (3CD), but again, it's like an actual recording session with many takes and some outtakes, don't feel forced to check all of them. Pass the third disc for now, it's noisy and not very accesible for my ears.

Mizutani is good psychedelic folk, only a bit bland, the last two songs ("The Last One", yes, another version LOLand "Otherwise Fallin' in Love With") are very powerful.

I don't think Mizutani 2 is really an essential listen, pass it.  

Double Heads (6CD) means three soundboard concerts, the sound quality is excellent. You'll be fine with the first 2 CD's. Thumbs Up

I had to do this correction. I didn't checked them when I posted it. Ouch

Haha, no problem, José! LOL I also thought "Night of the Assassins" with saxophone sounded great. And "White Awakening" also seemed quite familiar.

I'll probably go on to either Double Heads or Mars Studio now. Thanks a lot for your time and devotion, I really appreciate these recommendations! Thumbs Up
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALotOfBottle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2017 at 13:02
Tangerine Dream - Electronic Meditation
Irene Schweizer Trio - Jazz Meets India
Brast Burn - Debon
Catharsis - Les Chevrons
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2017 at 01:05
Saturday...

Karma To Burn - Karma To Burn EP  (Morgantown, WV  2013)
Instrumental desert rock, stoner rock trio 

3rd Ear Experience - Peacock Black  (Joshua Tree, CA  2015)
Instrumental psychedelic space rock 

Kylver - The Island  (Newcastle, England  2016)
Heavy instrumental progressive rock 

Omerta - Crown Of Seven  (Riga, Latvia  2015)
Instrumental post rock, metal trio 

Dimartis - Episodio 1   (Rawson, Argentina  2015)
Instrumental, psychedelic, melodic, desert, stoner 

Toundra - Toundra IV  (Madrid, Spain  2015)
Instrumental, post rock, metal 

Stone Cold Fiction - Stone Cold Fiction  (Bristol, England  2017)
"Alternative blues rock"  band quote 

L'Ira Del Baccano - Terra 42  (Rome, Italy  2014)
Instrumental, psych, space, stoner 

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALotOfBottle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2017 at 12:17
LSD Underground - LSD Underground 12
Picchio Dal Pozzo - Picchio Dal Pozzo
Cornucopia - Full Horn
Magnum Vaeltaja View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnum Vaeltaja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2017 at 21:22
Van Halen - Diver Down - This is probably the Van Halen album with the least quality control, but it's a pretty fun record as a result. The novelty songs, like Big Bad Bill, are always good for a laugh.

Sand - Golem - Sleepy Really not a very interesting album at all. I don't mind minimalistic or repetitive music, but this one just about put me to sleep in the first 5 minutes.

Leitmotiv - Entangled - Jesus, this guy might just be one of the worst singers I've ever heard in prog. Which is a shame, because the instrumental performances (especially the piano) are absolutely fantastic.

Le Porte Non Aperte - Golem - Thought the cover looked cool so I decided to give it a listen. Very energetic, spirited RPI. As with the last one, the vocals aren't quite doing it for me, but the band is instrumentally killing it on here.

Diagonal - Diagonal - This one should please all the King Crimson and ELP fans out there, if not just for the first track alone. Heavy, chaotic, jazzy prog with all the noisy sax a la Mel Collins and blistering organ work done Keith Emerson-style. Great chops by all involved. Awesome stuff.

when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 9495969798 527>