FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHelp me with my paper on prog

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help me with my paper on prog
    Posted: October 17 2014 at 14:49
Hey guys, first post in quite some time. I’m writing a paper for my Non-Fiction Writing class. We’re allowed to write about any medium in arts and entertainment. I've decided to write mine on the cultural reception and influence of progressive rock. I have the majority of the paper written but I’d love to post some brief thoughts from several music aficionados (fans or otherwise) to give my readers a cheeky sense of the divisiveness that comes with this genre. I already have all the disparaging comments I need, but I’m asking you guys for a concise sentence or two on why you love prog rock. Be as flashy as you’d like. Humor is encouraged. Oh, and be aware that I’ll be using these comments anonymously for copyright purposes and such.

SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2014 at 15:35
Cultural and sociological issues =/= prog.

Edited by SteveG - October 17 2014 at 15:36
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2014 at 16:40
It isn't all about appearance. 
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2014 at 17:02
Pop music is like the fast food of the music industry, you get sick of it quick even though it tastes so good at first. Prog is the gourmet meal of the music industry with plenty of variety and courses and you always come back for more.Big smile
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2014 at 17:12
Being in the restaurant industry, John, let me put it this way: Yup, disposable pop music is a McDonald whilst prog is a 12 course tasting menu with wine pairings. 
The first is eating (a necessity) the other is dining (a desire).

Edited by tszirmay - October 17 2014 at 17:13
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.
ScorchedFirth View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2014 at 17:35
Prog will always beat any other genre for me. If a better one comes along, prog just eats it, and finds a way to mix it in with everything else available in the best way.
breathing, eating, defecating, screwing, drinking, spewing, sleeping...

JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2014 at 17:44
Prog was to music as muscle cars were to the 60's. A moment in time which will be revered but not repeated.
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
Gully Foyle View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2014 at 19:26
Prog can often prevent the spread of venereal disease
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2014 at 19:56
Originally posted by Gully Foyle Gully Foyle wrote:

Prog can often prevent the spread of venereal disease
LOL proven
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2014 at 21:26
When I listen to the prog I love I wonder about what I have in common with the neo loving symph weenies who are looking for bombastic keyboards with meaningful lyrics where I'm looking for dissonant noise with vocals in a made up language.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Gully Foyle View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2014 at 21:44
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

When I listen to the prog I love I wonder about what I have in common with the neo loving symph weenies who are looking for bombastic keyboards with meaningful lyrics where I'm looking for dissonant noise with vocals in a made up language.

sir,

finer words have never been spoken

many thanks
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2014 at 23:13
What I like most about Prog is the way it gives more importance to the melody and it's development and the instrumental passages. And how it doesn't go for the usual rules of pop music just because someone says it's got to be done that way.
prog4evr View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2014 at 00:33
You can quote me on this:  "I used to believe that the only real progressive music was from 1968-1978 (too many bands in that ten-year period to quote).  But, I must admit that many bands that came up in the 1980s (Marillion, for one) and the 1990s (The Flower Kings) have restored my faith in the genre perpetuating at least until I pass on from this earth (I am 55 years old now), if not well into the end of the 21st century."
tweber92 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2014 at 01:24
Sterling. You guys have been wonderful. Thanks.
tamijo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2014 at 02:23
I have used this explanation elsewhere, but i thought maby you could just it, is not excatly about prog, more about complex music in general. :

Recently I have been thinking about why that is, why would you want to dig into difficult music, that may at first seem like just noise or even worse, that may at first could stress you up a bit. When you could just pick a simple tune, pleasant and easy to dig out and like.

I have come up with some answers to that. Some answers that I believe could explain to others, why they should do the same, turn of FM radio, and start listen to complex Classic music, Jazz, Progressive Rock, and avant-garde experimental music in general.

The first answer that I thought about, was the analog to other things you want to do as a hobby. If you should play golf, would you prefer the easy par 3 courses, or would you prefer to play the difficult 18 holes courses, if you should go skiing, would you prefer the easy hill, or would you want to try the Alpes.

All of us I guess, would allways have more fun, with the harder task, because it is more rewarding to complete a task, if it was hard to do, why would that be any different with music. Digging into a difficult genre of music, that you don’t know, is a hard task, the rewards found there so much more satisfying.

Another reason is from an art point of view, listening to FM radio hits, in that perspective is like looking at paintings mass produces for tourists, its only made to please the receiver so that it is easy to sell, with little or no artistic ambition. Only the music expanding adding or commenting, on the culture of its time, will ever become great music. Just as it will be and have always been in the other arts.

All this said,there is nothing wrong with pop music, mainstream rock, or other music that just continues an already established genre, but if you want music to blow your minds off, you should try to explore the edge of music, if you get it, its amassing.

Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours
friso View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2014 at 05:50
Progressive rock appriciation requires more investment of the listener, in return you get a more sustainable form of entertainment. It takes a while to get into, but it remain fascinating even after years of listening to it.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2014 at 09:22

Fortunately for me Nog, you are in the minority. I can appreciate someone who loves avant noise but I don't feel that is the basis for Progressive Rock music. The key word being Rock.
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2014 at 10:07
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Fortunately for me Nog, you are in the minority. I can appreciate someone who loves avant noise but I don't feel that is the basis for Progressive Rock music. The key word being Rock.

Oh my quote was mostly in fun as requested by the OP, I have loads of symphonic prog in my collection (though hardly any neo). I recognize that a lot of what I love is in the edgier darker niche within a niche. I will take issue with any claim that it doesn't rock. There's plenty of other influences but most of the RIO/Avant sub genre certainly rocks.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2014 at 10:21
^Sorry for missing the joke, Nog. I was in too serious a mood today and that helped snap me out of it.

Of course, your right. There's plenty of ZIO/avant that rocks. (thanks to Mr. Zappa)
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2014 at 10:34
Because I get bored with cookie cutter pop/rock and prog quenches my thirst for variety, adventure and ambition.  Can't really think of any other reason.  It's the same reason why of those popular artists I liked as a child - Beatles, ABBA, Boney M, Celine Dion (why! why! Dead) - I only feel like listening to the first two nowadays.  I know what kind of market typical pop music is intended for but I don't need to listen to the same bloody formula a thousand times, that's boring for me.

Edited by rogerthat - October 18 2014 at 10:35
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>