Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBest Use of Prog in Film

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8910
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Guy Guden View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2014 at 08:28
Thanks for the nod, Pedro.
One could do a Melting Watchtowre blog or paper on this subject.  There are far too many examples.

Yes, the Forbidden Planet score opened my mind to "space music" in 1956, no less.  SPACE PIRATE RADIO wouldn't have existed without it.  Also that theremin in Bernard Herrmann's "The Day The Earth Stood Still."
1951, no less.  And, as Pedro noted, the mind expanding scores in "Journey To The Center Of The Earth,"
"Mysterious Island," "Jason And The Argonauts" & "Fahrenheit 451."  "Twilight Zone" theme.  "Citizen Kane."

more modern stuff:  Can "Deep End."  All of the Vangelis film scores, starting with "Apocalypse Of The Animals,"
"Le Fete Sauvage" which got reused in Peter Weirs "The Year Of Living Dangerously."  "Blade Runner," "Bitter Moon" and "1492," besides the Oscar winning one.

Look how many prog musicians went into the soundtrack biz.  It seems anyone who ever was a member of
Tangerine Dream did film.  Good or bad.   

Keith Emerson, Rick Wakeman, Colin Towns, "Full Circle" aka "The Haunting Of Julia." 

Goblin is one of many Italians in film.  Banco did at least one.  And the school of Morricone is totally whacked out in the '60s & '70s.  Bruno and Nicolai.

King Crimson "Larks Tongues" is in the first "Emmanuelle" film, interpreted by Francis Lai.

Klaus Schulze wasn't the only progressive artist to do "hardcore" films.  A certain well known synth artist
told me privately that he had scored many of them under alias.

Christopher Gunning, "Goodbye Gemini."  Irmin Schmidt's soundtracks. 

Another early favourite, Paul McCartney's "The Family Way"

Good sounds make great pictures.  Cheers, everyone!

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2014 at 12:16
Originally posted by octopus-4 octopus-4 wrote:

The Forbidden Planet gave birth to electronic music

I'm thinking this is a mis-representation of the development of the instrument and the music itself.

The instrument was already "there" and being experimented with ... but it was the first time it was used within a "public" medium, if you will ... and it became a very good one and famous one, and I bet if it hadn't been the case, the music could have died a sad death ... like so many other arts!

It was presented very well, along with the fact that the film was very well written!

Edited by moshkito - December 21 2014 at 13:52
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Guy Guden View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2014 at 05:31
What made "Forbidden Planet" important musically was that it was the first full length film to use total electronic sounds.  Not a conventional 'earthly' instrument anywhere in the movie.  How important this made one to feel truly 'not of this earth.'  It's how I felt when I first heard Tangerine Dream's ATEM.
other films come to mind:  "Ghost In The Shell."  Kenji Kawai.  Roman Polanski's "Macbeth" Third Ear Band.
Jean Michel Jarre did one before Oxygene.  Son of film composer Maurice Jarre.  Russian electronic musician Artemiy Artemiev whose father Edward did the scores for Tarkovsky films among others. 
Terry Riley, "Lifespan" with Klaus Kinski.  Richard Pinhas (Heldon) music for Dune, unused as well as Klaus Schulze's contribution.  Robert Wyatt's score for "The Animals" documentary.
Second Hand's DEATH MAY BE YOUR SANTA CLAUS in the horror film "Raw Meat."
I would also like to praise the work of Basil Kirchin, my favourite avant garde jazz composer.  He did many great film scores, including "The Abominable Doctor Phibes," "The Mutations," "Assignment K" and other British and European films.
I should also clarify in my first entry on this subject that Vangelis did two documentaries for French director Frederic Rossif, "Apocalypse Of The Animals" and "Le Fete Sauvage."  It was the Vangelis studio album OPERA SAUVAGE that was used by Peter Weir in "Year OF Living Dangerously."
Have we mentioned Florian Fricke and Popol Vuh?  Herzog loved him.  I had every European pressing for SPACE PIRATE RADIO.  Each had something different, especially the soundtracks from France and Germany.
How about another Munchen based director, Wim Wenders?  Music very important to his films.  Hung with Amon Duul (1 & 2) (as did Fassbinder), loved Can, etc.
Nino Rota:  "Casanova" 
So many... And if we get started on groups that APPEARED in films, oh my.  Yardbirds in "Blow-Up" (could have been Steve Howe & Tomorrow), Stoneground in Hammer's "Dracula A.D. 1972."
or 'acting' in them.  I had fun talking to Rick Wakeman about "Liztomania."
 Cheers again, everybody.  Happy Winter Solstice.
fink_b View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2015 at 18:44
"Breaking the waves" (songs between the chapters of movie)
fink_b View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2015 at 18:50
Originally posted by Guy Guden Guy Guden wrote:

Yardbirds in "Blow-Up" 

Great scene with smashing the guitar. Craaaaazy! Thumbs Up

verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2015 at 19:52
Originally posted by Guy Guden Guy Guden wrote:

Jean Michel Jarre did one before Oxygene.

Les Granges Brulées (1973). Along with Deserted Palace, released the year before, it consists of very short pieces, mostly in the two-minutes-or-less ranges, and IMO is for completists only.
calm_sea View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2015 at 17:18
Goblin's scores for Profondo Rosso and Suspiria.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8910