Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBest Use of Prog in Film

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 10>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
TheLambMovie View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2014 at 12:06
Well, it is a fan film and by no means a big budget feature film, but it's always been something that I and other Los would like to see made. I have enjoyed shooting and putting it together and hope others enjoy it as well. It will mostly be a video of the first song (title track) and is not of the whole album. At the least I know Steve Hackett will be seeing it, I'm meeting him on Friday.
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2014 at 12:35
Originally posted by Svetonio Svetonio wrote:

Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

Originally posted by TheLambMovie TheLambMovie wrote:

Preview of The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway (The Movie). Goes live on YouTube 11/18!

You've got to be kidding me. You're sick - get out of here! Tell me you're not kidding, please.

He's not kidding at all, he gave to us an exclusive photo from a new spectacular film based on a prog album, lol

If that's a photo from the upcoming film, let's expect another Tommy. I mean, pretty weak! Is that the little brother of the actor from the Karate Kid franchise? Check, please!
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2014 at 13:09
And when is your movie coming out? There's always gonna be critics and negativity with any project someone does in life. Like I said before, this gives me enjoyment making the film and if others also get enjoyment out of it that's great too, it's actually coming out real good and I hope people at least appreciate the effort of me trying to put an ambitious project such as this together.

Edited by TheLambMovie - November 12 2014 at 13:12
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2014 at 14:06

Originally posted by Svetonio Svetonio wrote:

Preview of The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway (The Movie). Goes live on YouTube 11/18!

You've got to be kidding me. You're sick - get out of here! Tell me you're not kidding, please.

He's not kidding at all, he gave to us an exclusive photo from a new spectacular film based on a prog album, lol

If that's a photo from the upcoming film, let's expect another Tommy. I mean, pretty weak! Is that the little brother of the actor from the Karate Kid franchise? Check, please!
It's a great photo, actually. Look at those stairs, the lamb and a guy with a spray. Perfect!
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2014 at 14:09

Well, it is a fan film and by no means a big budget feature film, but it's always been something that I and other Los would like to see made. I have enjoyed shooting and putting it together and hope others enjoy it as well. It will mostly be a video of the first song (title track) and is not of the whole album. At the least I know Steve Hackett will be seeing it, I'm meeting him on Friday.
I can't wait to see the movie!
Good luck Thumbs Up
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2014 at 14:36

And when is your movie coming out? There's always gonna be critics and negativity with any project someone does in life. Like I said before, this gives me enjoyment making the film and if others also get enjoyment out of it that's great too, it's actually coming out real good and I hope people at least appreciate the effort of me trying to put an ambitious project such as this together.

An effort that approaches the heady weight of The Lamb' should be budgeted at least as much as, say, Quadrophenia. It shouldn't be some backyard venture expected to garner interest simply because someone has attempted it at all but on a lowly scale. Spread the good news when you have a two-hour plus film event with major studio interest. That's the goal here and not some lowbrow vanity piece done for peanuts.

Edited by Rednight - November 12 2014 at 14:40
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2014 at 16:15
You sound like you've already seen the video? I'm not aware you got a copy of it.
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2014 at 17:01
Video? Try giving us all a break.
timothy leary View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2014 at 17:33
^Do you speak for all now? Give me a break.
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2014 at 22:51

An effort that approaches the heady weight of The Lamb' should be budgeted at least as much as, say, Quadrophenia. (...)
If you want some movie stars and a host of "previously unseen" special effects in the film, then - yes, this requires a big budget. However, the story of an album can be told with a low budget. Then it requires a talented film director with a vision. Based on the above photo, I would argue that this is a talented film director.

Edited by Svetonio - November 13 2014 at 01:50
Anaon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2014 at 07:57
In the Court of the Crimson King in 74 (The Red Riding Trilogy)
Hocus Pocus in Robocop (2014)!!

I started a list about this here
Smile
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2014 at 08:03
In the 70s in Italy an instrumental cover of the whole Wish You Were Here was used for a TV serial called "Ritratto di Donna Velata" (Portrait of veiled woman).
Don't forget "Il Garofano Rosso" by Banco if not yet signalled.

Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2014 at 09:19

Well I for one will love seeing it---(as I have my own project in the works in LA)--and appreciate your efforts---hope I like it ---but this album is my favorite prog concept album so the bar is pretty highWink
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2014 at 10:54
Originally posted by timothy leary timothy leary wrote:

^Do you speak for all now? Give me a break.

No, I speak for those like myself who've been pining away for years for a 'Lamb' done right, cinematically. If you're content with something that's shot on video with a shoestring budget, you're not in my camp. And happy viewing!

Edited by Rednight - November 13 2014 at 12:23
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2014 at 02:16
Carry On My Wayward Son (1976) by Kansas featured in Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy. It's a 2004 comedy film directed by Adam McKay.
Dust In The Wind (1977) by Kansas featured in Old School. It's a 2003 comedy film released by DreamWorks Pictures and The Montecito Picture Company and directed by Todd Phillips.
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2014 at 07:08

Rael meeting Steve Hackett Back In NYC Town Hall show last night. Don't forget to check out The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway (fan film) this Tuesday 11/18 on YouTube!

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2014 at 11:15

Hi,

Being into film as I am, it is very sad to see us talking about the music in the film as "progressive" or as anything else.

In general, almost all film uses music in the "Hollywood" style, simply to generate some more emotion to any given moment. The whole thing has gotten so out of line, and BAD, that we can not conceive of a moment WITHOUT MUSIC, which was something that Alfred Hitchcock played with until he turned around and used Bernard Herrman.

We're critters of habit. We can't live in "silence", and have to add some soundtrack to our lives, and while it is entertaining, in the end, it has a way of infecting you with its own disease.  And it is hard to get off that disease that is not about you and your sensibilities, meaning you get caught up in "favorites", and when you do that you lose the ability to hear something else.

Ex: Jean Luc Godard was famous for intentionally putting music where there shouldn't be any, or vice versa.

Ex2: Horror films intentionally displace by seconds the music or the sound effect to shake you, since the sound is not natural.

Ex3: Monty Python, has intentionally started "music" in the wrong place to satirize many a film.

There are a few films that have used music, as a "part of the story" and a "part of the film" instead of a fantasy musical a la high school that you went to. Some examples:

ExA: More, the first film by Barbet Schroeder with Pink Floyd music. The girl in the story had PF on her cassette recorder and she played it while tripping. In some ways, this helped people think that PF was a drug band and the music was perfect for dope. Barbet did not repeat his excellent use of music, in his next films.

ExB: Purple Rain, has the music as a part of the story, instead of anything else. It helped add a lot more to the emotional state of the film, specially when he had to go on stage or off the stage. Helped elevate the quality of the music and the film. Prince has never been able to duplicate that excellence in film.

There are a couple of others, notably the satire one, but in general, most music even mentioned here, will stand up on its own, even if it weren't for the film. I never bought GOBLIN because of the films ... I had the music, before I EVER saw any of the films! And I have rarely gone out and bought music by anyone that did music in the films. As much as you , or I can appreciate Maurice Jarre, none of us has any of the albums of music. And Dr. Zhivago's soundtrack is one for the ages and very memorable, and stands out as one of the great musical masterpieces ever in film. It also stands out on its own without the film. AS IS THE CASE WITH GREAT COMPOSERS!

The thought that we're using this or that ... is scary!

The music is not there because it is "progressive" ... but to color the moment. The "moment" is not "progressive", "regressive" or "stupid". But there are certain things that some directors can use that end up fitting really well, that are unusual ... for example, "Forbidden Planet" was the first film to use electronic music, and it's effect was monumental and made the film really special. Clever space films 60 years later STILL do not have that great an effect as that film did!

We're missing the point ... unless you want to relive your childhood a la Forrest Gump! Which is what the majority of this thread is about!

Edited by moshkito - November 15 2014 at 12:04
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2014 at 13:48
40 years ago today, November 18th, 1974,
A lamb lied down on broadway..........

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oP4WTpD1YK0
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2014 at 14:42

40 years ago today, November 18th, 1974,
A lamb lied down on broadway..........

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oP4WTpD1YK0
I copy/pasted the link, but didn't find the video.
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2014 at 15:11

Rael meeting Steve Hackett Back In NYC Town Hall show last night. Don't forget to check out The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway (fan film) this Tuesday 11/18 on YouTube!

Edited by Rednight - November 18 2014 at 15:12
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 10>