Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed4 little gems (113)

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Which one do you prefer ?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
1 [12.50%]
2 [25.00%]
4 [50.00%]
1 [12.50%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: 4 little gems (113)
    Posted: October 27 2014 at 04:46
C.B Busser : Warship suite
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYwqqxWjEOk

Pat Cool : Daybreak
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqAtEal0zMQ

Ixt Adux : Brainstorm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAT5PgpBYT8

Bernard Szajner : Brute Reason
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KChzzHF7tJs
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2014 at 04:50

Biography

The progressive rockgroup Pat Cool was founded in Venlo, The Netherlands in 1971. The members were Huub Timmermans (keyboards), Peter Tiggelers (drums), Tom van der Schoot (bass guitar) and Gé Titulaer (vocals, keyboards, flute and recorders). A single is released with the tracks The sun king found his kingdome here and Never get lost.

In 1973 they recorded their only album, Daybreak. The music is a sort of jazzy, keyboard orientated progressive rock. When the band broke up, Tom van der Schoot went up to the north of Holland, to play in several bands in the town Groningen. He is currently playing in a band with Bonfire's guitaris Eugene den HoedGé Titulaer started a solo career.

Review by Marty McFly 
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Errors and Omissions Team
4 stars Strongly keyboard driven, packed with nostalgia feeling of good ol' lightly psychedelic days (not so much) of that very special era of late 60s and early 70s (I wish there was a shorter term for this period of time, such as L60E70). Actually, quite similar musically to Sandrose (except this one has male vocals) and reminding of less melodic Greenslade (as Greenslade uses nearly identical sounds, but has very different atmosphere - cheerful and lighthearted). And also not British, but tradition of teaching English language in Netherlands is strong, so their accent is OK.

Enough with brackets - the atmosphere of Pat Cool's is dense and almost hypnotic with vibes of days gone by. Good reminiscence of those times I've never experienced.

Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2014 at 06:02
I just finished that C.B Busser album: the synthesizer with acoustic guitar is very good, and the percussion work as well. There are some quite repetitive melodies, though. Pat Cool is next!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2014 at 06:19
Yes. These four albums are very varied and ask for attentive listening
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2014 at 12:51

Mike McLatchey18-September-2002Brainstorm

1982 was a rather strange year to be working with progressive rock in the United States, or, if anything, stranger than most others. Ixt Adux were a guitar-led combo from Los Angeles who managed to get one album off in an era where the closest thing to an American prog band was the reformed King Crimson. And Discipline-era Crimson is not really a bad comparison in terms of the prevalent and complex guitar work, but another inspiration would have to be that of Frank Zappa, a name that always comes up when a humorous quotient is detected in the music. For the most part, the music of Ixt Adux over the five tracks that make up Brainstorm is a pretty complicated affair, with lots of rhythmically changing melodic lines and plenty of dynamics between jagged, harder rocking and softer, introspective parts. The guitar playing is generally excellent in all numbers of styles, backed up by a solid bass and drums rhythm section, including Frippish dissonant runs, chord picking, and soloing. Perhaps the only drawbacks to the sound are the unavoidable poor production available to such an independent and the resulting lack of tonal variation on the guitars. While the latter is mitigated by the sheer profusion of excellent playing, the former has to be taken as more indicative of the poor state of innovative music at this point in the 80s regardless of how much a detraction it seems now. Warts and all, this is a worthy release, particularly for the time. GNOSIS.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n439rH1mSxg
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2014 at 15:03
Voted for Pat Cool, what a fantastic album. I really like the vibe it transmits and the way the keyboards lead the music. Thanks for sharing Pierre! Thumbs Up
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2014 at 15:24
You're welcome, Samuel. Smile
zravkapt View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2014 at 17:28
The only one I know is Szajner but I voted for Ixt Adux.
Magma America Great Make Again
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2014 at 17:38
I knew it. Wink
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2014 at 13:15

C. B. Busser ‎– Warship-Suite

Label:
Musk Projekt ‎– MP 806
Format:
Vinyl, LP 
Released:
Genre:
Style:

Tracklist

A1Warship (Intro)
A2Only Sea...Land!
A3Ship In The Morning Dew
A4Love And Hate
A5The Battle
B1Happy Faces
B2The Last Battle
Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2014 at 00:39
It's between Ixt Adux and C.B. Busser and I went with the former.
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2014 at 01:38
Thumbs Up my friend. Personally it's between love and hate with this album. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2014 at 02:21
I give my vote to Bernard Szajner, a guy I met once in Paris in a museum. By a friend of mine, I heard confidentially his last electronic work and it's fantastic. Hope he will publish it one day. 

Brute Reason

My favourite album, probably because this was my introduction to Szajner's music (in my teens!). The revolutionary production and creativity of the arrangements still amaze me today. I'm not sure what to compare this music to, as the melodic style and unstructured structure is highly original for what is essentially a new-wave/rock/pop setting, albeit very non-mainstream. There's a great photo on the cover showing Bernard playing hislaser harp surrounded by modular synthesisers.

'Without Leaving' launches the album into a strangely drunken riff over which wails an insanely-processed cello. Added to this are the quirky lyrics of Howard Devoto from Magazine, who comes in with the immortal line: "You look as though you've been dragged backwards through a bush..." before the song opens up with spacious synths and the cello solo spirals upward. There's some impeccable rhythm guitar work and did I forget to say that Bernard Paganotti's bass was very funky?

'Snow Prints' is a glittering icy instrumental with female spoken voice. Crystal bell tones of digital synthesis drip from ice caves. "Centuries passed in the frozen city"

'Brute Reason' features Taiko drum master Joji Hirota on wordless vocals and percussion. Rotating alert signals herald danger, and then the groove gets up with it. Joji's vocal gymnastics punctuate the groove here and there, before he launches into a percussion solo hotting things up. A sax joins in at the next level up, then a synth, as the voice echoes around and the analogue sequences whirl like a dervish, before the whole thing falls to the ground.

'Saracen Cards' is a mellower instrumental with dueting sax, guitar and keyboards.

'Crash Diet' is a hilarious little ditty composed by guitarist Xavier 'Toxidose' Geronimi (what a name!) It starts innocently with that Casio VL-Tone snap-crackle-and-pop beat and some funky guitar picking. The vocals (which I won't spoil for you :-) repeat mantra-like as the mix gets subsequently 'thinner' in sound... You really have to hear this highly original production to appreciate the genius of humour at work.

'Deal Of The Century' features Howard's lyrics sung in a duet with himself and also the found voice of 'Snow Prints'. It begins with a lazy groove of bass harmonics and understated drums. After the first chorus, it paces up with a guitar solo, and the bass gets niftier still.

A timid electric piano introduces 'Domestic Casualty', an epic slab of electronic rock, reworking the opening theme of 'Execute' from Some Deaths Take Forever. Paganotti's bass dances along effortlessly as crazy cutup vocal samples weave an aural film. Thundering drums and massed synths chase the frightened voice into a frenzy of guitar passages. Heady stuff.

Distorted guitar and pulsing electronics announce the start of 'The Convention', with bass and guitar throbbing along with multiple sequences in changing time signatures while Howard sings passionately of some love affair:

I've been looking at all the candidates' wives 
you're the loveliest 
object of worship

The middle-8 features a sublime mellotron melody recalling Tangerine Dream's 'Rubycon'. This is another favourite track, if just for the analogue basslines alone, which seem to pulse in and out independently.

The final track is The Snark, named after a strange 2m-long performance device that Bernard uses to control his PPG synth. It's a majestic instrumental finale with Schroeder's lyrical saxophone (and two bass players :-) bringing the album to a close.

Post Reply Post Reply