FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMercyful Fate and King Diamond

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mercyful Fate and King Diamond
    Posted: November 02 2014 at 07:01
Since in the Now Playing thread I got into a discussion with Prog Sothoth about music career of the only Danish Satanist most people can name, I wager that would warrant a thread of its own.

I really like the King's tenure up from the earliest Mercyful Fate records up to and including his 2nd solo album Abigail, but after guitarist Michael Denner left and the style began moving away from MF's signature sound I found KD's albums to get less interesting. MF's reunion albums I found okay if nowhere in the league as that truly magical run of albums, but that constitutes a pair of pretty damn big shoes to fill.

Actually, it's a very long time ago that I listened to anything the King recorded after Abigail so I wonder how much I'm missing and whether the later albums aren't really better or worse just different. If it's any reliable indication it shows the King to probably have a better grasp on the whole "Rock Opera" concept album thing than a lot of capital P-prog groups (e. g. Queensr˙che), the man apparently took notes from David Bowie and Alice Cooper in other departments than stage theatrics! There seems to be a vocal minority of people who consider The Eye his best album or at least in the running, around RateYourMusic and those parts. The entire historical theme around the witch hunts and persecution of Cathar Gnostics certainly sounds interesting, with the Cathars having inspired quite a few black metal artists in newer times. (Arckanum and Watain to be specific)
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2014 at 07:10
would you be in the same room as King Diamond and Lars Ulrick, i saw a episode of metal evolution and King Diomand striked me as a little bit older version of Lars, :9.
Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2014 at 07:19
I've been in the same room as Michael Denner, as he runs a specialty record store in Copenhagen not so far away from the city's biggest public library. Chatted with him once about the legal limbo affecting a good chunk of Captain Beefheart's discography.
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2014 at 07:38
dont forgett Sagas - Generation 13 in the history of rock or metal operas, its as good as it gets, imo, and Ian Crictons guitar work should be more hailed by the rock and metal historians.
Prog Sothoth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2014 at 21:47
As I mentioned in the "What have you been listening..." thread, Mercyful Fate were my gateway band to truly dark metal. Before them it was Sabbath, Priest and Iron Maiden. I bought Melissa due to the evil sounding song titles, but was actually expecting something along the lines of early Sabbath lyrics, so when I played "Black Funeral" (I checked out side 2 first), I was pretty shocked at the brazen nature of the lyrics and the cavernous atmosphere. It was freaky, and King's shrieky falsetto of "All Hail Satan!" really made an impact. One thing neat about the album though was that there was still a reasonable amount of 70's hard rock influences, particularly the bluesy riffs adorning some of these tracks.

Whereas 'Melissa' was gloomy, their next album, 'Don't Break The Oath', was fiery with lacerating treble on the guitars (befitting the album cover). Lyrically more of the tunes played like mini narratives, specifically "A Dangerous Meeting", "Nightmare", "Gypsy" and "Welcome Princess Of Hell" (originally 'Princes' Of Hell but misinterpreted during printing so I've heard).

When he went solo, he pretty much shifted gears away from blatant Satan worship to ghost stories and themes involving non-Judeo-Christian religions. "Fatal Portrait" was tough for me to get into at first because as much as I liked his odd falsetto since it sounded witchy and 'evil' as opposed to merely operatic, there was too much of it and I missed his mid-ranged delivery, plus a good portion of the songs were pretty simple musically compared to 'Don't Break The Oath'.

Followup 'Abigail' was perfect though, his first full length concept narrative album with a creepy story and fantastic musicianship. Alex LaRocque was suddenly this monster shredder on guitar and Denner's guitar solos, while not shredfests, resonated strongly in emotion, especially that gorgeous solo at the end of "Black Horsemen". King's vocals offered way more variation to fit the narrative and its characters, and every song is fantastic.

Denner was replaced with Pete Blakk, who was basically another shredder-type similar but not superior to LaRocque, so the solos, though technically great, lacked in variation. The first half is quite good musically but the production sounds pretty weak to me. The storyline was entertaining, but not as harrowing as Abigail's.

'Conspiracy' had a much better production and overall better songwriting and is my second favorite Diamond solo album after 'Abigail'. It's been a long time since I've listened to 'The Eye', but I remember the first half being about witch trials run by lunatic religious leaders and the second half about a convent run by sex fiend religious leaders based on actual historic events.

Pretty much all of his solo albums seem to be full length concept albums, while his reunion 90's Mercyful Fate stuff plays like his outlet for non-narrative tunes.

Wow, long post...need a break, but yeah, Don't Break The Oath and Abigail fight for first place with Melissa a close second, followed by Conspiracy. The early MF tunes were pretty good too, with some kickin' bluesiness in the riffs such as "A Corpse Without Soul".

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2014 at 04:05
Been YouTubing some songs from Them and Conspiracy, they're alright once you get used to Denner's absence and the lack of MF's trademark "insanely complex instrumental interplay and tons of tempo changes in every song" approach to composition. I get the impression that the former band was more of a collaborative democratic effort in the songwriting anyway, which is one reason it didn't last that long whereas KD's solo albums are his creative project and they're also meant to be listened to in one sitting with the narrative being spread over the entire runtime.

Going through reviews on RYM and M-A it appears that KD's albums between The Eye and The Puppet Master aren't too hot despite occasionally having some interesting concepts, so I might be avoiding those.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2014 at 14:14
Out of curiosity, can anyone recommend some newer (as in 2nd wave and later) black metal that's strongly influenced by MF/KD? Emperor's entire "classy black metal in glorious Technicolour" approach is obviously inspired by MF but I frankly find most of their music to have aged very badly. Usually it's the Greek black metal scene that's recommended as such, though while I can hear where the comparisons are coming from I get a very different feel from them. (more "ancient civilization" than "gothic horror", again I like that stuff but it's not quite the right prescription)

The group that's come the closest to what I'm looking for is the Swiss band Samael on their first 3 LPs.
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2014 at 07:58
Originally posted by Toaster Mantis Toaster Mantis wrote:

Out of curiosity, can anyone recommend some newer (as in 2nd wave and later) black metal that's strongly influenced by MF/KD? Emperor's entire "classy black metal in glorious Technicolour" approach is obviously inspired by MF but I frankly find most of their music to have aged very badly. Usually it's the Greek black metal scene that's recommended as such, though while I can hear where the comparisons are coming from I get a very different feel from them. (more "ancient civilization" than "gothic horror", again I like that stuff but it's not quite the right prescription)

The group that's come the closest to what I'm looking for is the Swiss band Samael on their first 3 LPs.
I'm not a black metal expert, so offhand the only band that immediately springs to mind is Mortuary Drape, a group that not only has a fair number of tunes with influences from the 1st wave including Mercyful Fate (if one considers them part of it), but also has that strong Hammer-film-like occult vibe. They aren't a new band by any means though.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2014 at 11:08
The few songs I've heard from Mortuary Drape reminded me more of early Sepultura if they played black instead of death metal, kinda Sepultura's countrymen Mystifier. I'm told MD would go in a more progressive and theatrical direction later though, they'd later share a drummer with Janvs who are included on PA as they combine 2nd wave BM with classic Rock Progressivo Italiano which seems to confirm that.

I'm already liking their "Satanic Vatican" visual aesthetic, though, it's funny how in black metal individual artists seem to reflect their national origin's idiosyncrasies and cultural stereotypes to an extent you only otherwise see in folk and classical.
Tuzvihar View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2014 at 18:00
Gotta love King! I saw him live last year when he did a European tour (he played in his homeland, Denmark, too then)!

http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=93655

29 V - Hala Koło, Warszawa
"Music is much like f**king, but some composers can't climax and others climax too often, leaving themselves and the listener jaded and spent."

Charles Bukowski
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2014 at 06:55
Originally posted by Toaster Mantis Toaster Mantis wrote:

The few songs I've heard from Mortuary Drape reminded me more of early Sepultura if they played black instead of death metal, kinda Sepultura's countrymen Mystifier. I'm told MD would go in a more progressive and theatrical direction later though, they'd later share a drummer with Janvs who are included on PA as they combine 2nd wave BM with classic Rock Progressivo Italiano which seems to confirm that.

I'm already liking their "Satanic Vatican" visual aesthetic, though, it's funny how in black metal individual artists seem to reflect their national origin's idiosyncrasies and cultural stereotypes to an extent you only otherwise see in folk and classical.
Their Tolling 13 Knoll album from 2000 has a definite occult vibe in the MF vein, with a lot of mid-paced numbers that combine cool riffs and busy bass playing with a borderline campy evil horror aesthetic. I really love it, and I need to get their other releases someday, especially Secret Sudaria.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2014 at 08:02
Those two songs are pretty much the exact type of classy black metal in glorious Technicolour I had in mind, right down to the elaborate instrumental interplay that's one of my favourite things about MF, thanks for the links. (the only other MD songs I heard were from the much earlier All the Witches Dance)
 Post Reply Post Reply