Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDoes Neo Prog sound cheesy to you?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Poll Question: Does Neo Prog sound cheesy to you?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
10 [14.29%]
17 [24.29%]
18 [25.71%]
19 [27.14%]
1 [1.43%]
4 [5.71%]
1 [1.43%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2014 at 12:29
Hey, thanks for the list. I'll keep those in mind.
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2014 at 12:30
How could I not put my obligatory post in a neo-prog thread?

Edited by Horizons - November 05 2014 at 12:30
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2014 at 12:30
Originally posted by Prog_Traveller Prog_Traveller wrote:

Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Hey if you don't like it no one is forcing you to vote let alone make unnecessary comments that don't add to the discussion.

Unfortunately, no one is forcing you to create negative, disparaging polls. But still you do.

Negative? Well I'm just asking for people's opinion. It's funny and ironic that you are accusing me of being negative though. Is it your plan to fight my negativity with your own?

Sorry but cheese is delicious (brie, camenbert, gorgonzola, pecorino, appenzeller, fontina, manchego, gruyere etc.....) !LOL
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.
twalsh View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2014 at 12:46
I'm no expert on neo-prog but am enjoying Edison's children's latest, The Final Breath Before November(lots of former/current Marillion members, I think?).  To my untrained ears, there is some similarity to Pink Floyd, though I find the tone to be 'warmer' overall.  I'm also finding the latest from IQ, though a little slow for me,has some high moments.

I find it a bit silly to label an entire genre as 'cheesy.'  Besides, sometimes cheesy lyrics bring a smile to my face!  And like actual cheese, I wouldn't want to live on a steady diet of it.
More heavy prog, please!
tuxon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2014 at 12:58
I totally love neo-progressive rock. Personally I don't really like genre-typing, so for me neo-prog means symphonic prog that originated from the eighties and beyond eg Marillion, IQ, Pendragon, Arena, Radiohead, Echolyn, Discipline, Riverside, Satellite, Collage, Fish, even Dream Theater is considered neo-prog by me, as is Genesis post Gabriel, thus making Trick of the Tail the first neo-prog album.

core elements of neo-prog are melodicity and a little bombast, with spacy elements, usually you can trace inspiration back to Van der Graaf Generator/Hammill, Genesis and Pink Floyd, and little traces of Gentle Giant and Camel, sometimes some Rush as well, but Rush should maybe be considered proto-neo-progressive themselves ase are Eloy.

Some stellar neo-progressive albums include (but not limited to) are:
Rush Moving Pictures album coverEcholyn Mei album cover
IQ Dark Matter album cover
I'm always almost unlucky _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ Id5ZcnjXSZaSMFMC Id5LM2q2jfqz3YxT
apps79 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2014 at 13:25
No, not at all, some bands which are listed here as Neo Prog and do sound cheesy are not Neo Prog, you can call them AOR Prog, Pomp Prog or whatever, propably no other place here is better for them, but the roots of th movement are in old Genesis, Yes and Rush'es music...
When the power of love overcomes the love of power,the world will know peace...

listen to www.justincaseradio.com , the first ever Greek Progressive Rock radio
Wanorak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2014 at 13:38
No, not at all! To me it sounds like prog without the endless noodling; with more concise and to the point songs.
A GREAT YEAR FOR PROG!!!
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2014 at 13:52

I’m not sure that a poll like this does anything positive, except create unintentional division between members, even if done just for fun. I’m all for questioning people’s categories, but not their musical tastes.

Incase people miss the obvious, AOR (album oriented rock) is not a taste but a category. If someone likes Hotel California by The Eagles, that’s fine with me. But it’s AOR. Or if people want to break it down further, the album and band could be considered Country Rock. Again, there is no positive or negative connotation implied, except what rings out in your mind when you read these categories. The positive or negative view comes from you, not me.

It’s the same deal when questioning what’s considered Neo Prog or Proto Prog. Again, it’s a question of categories, not taste.

There are about twenty five sub genres for prog listed on PA’s home page. Take a look through them and decide how many that you like. Most likely, it will be just a few. But every sub genre has its fans and contributors. Before we make up polls like this, we should consider their work on the site and their feelings towards their genres.

If PA members can’t show tolerance for the tastes of other members in relation to the genre of prog they like, what good is PA then?

Edited by SteveG - November 05 2014 at 13:56
bloodnarfer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2014 at 13:56
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

I’m not sure that a poll like this does anything positive, except create unintentional division between members, even if done just for fun. I’m all for questioning people’s categories, but not their musical tastes.

I agree with you completely.

But you should have been here during the 'Least Favorite Subgenre' poll series.  Those were some dark days.  We lost some people over that.
tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2014 at 14:23
We should be bashing the pap currently in style (and since 1990 in my opinion) but you know what? Silence is the greatest form of contempt. Big smile
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.
Prog_Traveller View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2014 at 14:28
Not trying to polarize anyone here. The poll itself is anonymous and nobody has to actually say which bands they find cheesy or not. Besides maybe a little bit of cheese(or even a lot depending on your taste)is not such a bad thing. It's only you guys who interpret this as a negative thread. It's all meant to just be for fun not divide anyone. Jeez. Tongue

Edited by Prog_Traveller - November 05 2014 at 14:29
tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2014 at 14:34

Not trying to polarize anyone here. The poll itself is anonymous and nobody has to actually say which bands they find cheesy or not. Besides maybe a little bit of cheese(or even a lot depending on your taste)is not such a bad thing. It's only you guys who interpret this as a negative thread. It's all meant to just be for fun not divide anyone. Jeez. Tongue

This endless neo-prog criticism is an ongoing leftover from the negative dismemberment of the original glory years period when the music press (frustrated pompous nitwits like RS, TP , MM, NME) decided that being a good punk meant to puke all over anything resembling prog , whether complex or poppy. The putrid aroma of this old yarn is still around, sheesh! 

Get a life , neo has just as much gold as the other genres and sub-genres and sub-sub genres.  

Edited by tszirmay - November 05 2014 at 14:35
Prog_Traveller View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2014 at 14:51
[Get a life , neo has just as much gold as the other genres and sub-genres and sub-sub genres.  ]

I will if you do. Listen, I'm not saying it doesn't. I'm just trying to get to the bottom of this and find out if others consider it to be cheesy and if so how much. :) I am not a neo basher so please don't try to imply that I am. However, that being said a lot of the neo I have heard does not sound like full blown prog to me(a lot of it sounds mostly song oriented and like rock with lots of keyboards but nothing too complex) and that's ok because neither is much proto prog, crossover prog, prog related or post rock imo. I guess I'm just a purist as far as what I want to consider full blown prog.  I do like Pendragon and IQ and a few other things I have heard though and I admit I am no expert in this genre just going by what I have heard.

Edited by Prog_Traveller - November 05 2014 at 14:57
akamaisondufromage View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2014 at 14:55
No.

But The Stranglers do.

Nice and Cheesey does it, does it, does it every time....
Help me I'm falling!
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2014 at 14:55
Forget the question - now I'm hungry!
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2014 at 14:56
Originally posted by tszirmay tszirmay wrote:

We should be bashing the pap currently in style (and since 1990 in my opinion) but you know what? Silence is the greatest form of contempt. Big smile

Actually, as everyone here knows, everything since 1989 is complete and utter dreck.
akamaisondufromage View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2014 at 14:58
Originally posted by Padraic Padraic wrote:

Originally posted by tszirmay tszirmay wrote:

Actually, as everyone here knows, everything since 1989 is complete and utter dreck.

too true.  Also as we all know, that kind of loose talk gets you chucked out of PA ...LOL (what was his name now?)
Help me I'm falling!
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2014 at 15:01
I have put a lot of thought into my response to the poll question. In fact, as much thought as the
OP clearly went into when giving us the wonderful opportunity to express our opinions.

So.......

No.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2014 at 15:21
Anything with narrative sounds cheesy to me ie some Rick Wakeman and Kayak albums , but I love them nevertheless. Neo Prog like IQ has never sounded cheesy to me. Neo Prog has a lower cheese factor because of the shorter songs and less reliance on obscure overly theatrical concepts that some symphonic bands indulge in. ie Glass Hammer who I also love. So really I couldn't care less as long as the music is entertaining and absorbing.
tboyd1802 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2014 at 16:37
I'll abstain from this one. Neo-prog is not really my cup of tea, but I won't have said it was because it was particularly cheesy.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>