Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHas the flame finally gone out?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 15>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 1.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Has the flame finally gone out?
    Posted: November 10 2014 at 14:25
With the recent release of the long awaited Pnk Floyd album we once again see that our heroes have fallen a little flat. As I look back at the last few releases from what has become roughly known as the big 5, I see them garnering lower and lower ratings. From ELP to Yes to King Crimson, none seem to be meeting their fan expectations. While a few new bands certainly try to capture the essence of "Progressive" music, our founding fathers have withered.

So I ask...

Has the flame carried by the innovators of this very divisive genre finally gone out?

Edited by JD - November 10 2014 at 14:26
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2014 at 14:30
Thomas Jefferson is dead, but Democracy lives on.

Kind of.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2014 at 14:39
The Power to Believe has a rating of 3.97 - i don't see that as bad.  But all the symphonic artists are putting out bad music - so kinda. 
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2014 at 14:41
There is plenty of great progressive music begging to be heard outside the "Big Five". If we want the flame of non-mainstream music to survive, we must support the newer bands and artists, and stop pining for what has been.  No one is going to take those Seventies masterpieces away from us: now it is time to give the newcomers (many of whom are not so new any longer) a chance.
Rivertree View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Band Submissions

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2014 at 14:53
^indeed, dont' hang on too much on those hyped new albums, there are a lot of new bands on the scene where you can dig enough gems Smile

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2014 at 14:53
Power To Believe is a great album so King Crimson can safely be left out of this hypothesis.( however read my later comments)

ELP's last album was crap but then they were virtually crippled and trying to churn out an album to save a dying record company ( they might just as well as bombed it for the good it did). Their last brilliant album anyway was 1973's Brain Salad Surgery

Yes - Relayer was the last time they made a significant progressive rock statement imo although there are plenty of good albums that followed and I do like the most recent.

Genesis and the descent into pop music has been discussed to death but then they stopped being a proper working band 20 years ago.

Jethro Tull is the one band of the big five I don't own much of. I'm guessing though that they haven't made anything as good as say Thick and A Brick or A Passion Play since those albums. They found massive success in the USA in the eighties although I gather a lot of it was not proggy . The recent stuff by ian Anderson I do own and its very good but not exactly earth shattering.

Other than KC the big five were on slippery slope from about 1975 onwards. King Crimson has bucked the trend by to all intents and purposes being an ongoing project of Robert Fripp rather than a band in any traditional way. A band has to have an ongoing collaboration of a core membership. King Criimson barely had that at all. Fripp decides what he wanted to to do and then recruites accordingly. Nothing wrong with that and avoids the possibility of lurching head first into self parody which often happens to bands that have been around for thousand of years.

JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2014 at 14:57
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

There is plenty of great progressive music begging to be heard outside the "Big Five". If we want the flame of non-mainstream music to survive, we must support the newer bands and artists, and stop pining for what has been.  No one is going to take those Seventies masterpieces away from us: now it is time to give the newcomers (many of whom are not so new any longer) a chance.

So if they aren't new any longer, wouldn't that mean they've had their chance and again come up short. Or is it that our expectations for "Great music" far outweighs the potential of the available contributors? Or put another way, are the current 'new' bands you're thinking of trying too hard to be progressive?
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2014 at 15:02
People who are waiting for new master pieces of the old are regressing rather than progressing probably. Let's look at what else is out there - there are more than enough bands that deserve our attention. Thing of Edensong, Fright Pig, Corvus Stone, Edison's Children, and many many more....
ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2014 at 15:03
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Power To Believe is a great album so King Crimson can safely be left out of this hypothesis.( however read my later comments)

Other than KC the big five were on slippery slope from about 1975 onwards. King Crimson has bucked the trend by to all intents and purposes being an ongoing project of Robert Fripp rather than a band in any traditional way. A band has to have an ongoing collaboration of a core membership. King Criimson barely had that at all. Fripp decides what he wanted to to do and then recruites accordingly. Nothing wrong with that and avoids the possibility of lurching head first into self parody which often happens to bands that have been around for thousand of years.

The Power to Believe may be an anomaly, the previous three albums and the one after only rate around a 3.5. I guess that was the measure I was using in my opening statement, the mediocre ratings of between 2.5 - 3.5 of recent releases as compared to the 4 plus we get on the most highly recognized 'Big 5' output. Right or wrong, that's what made me ask the question.
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2014 at 15:04
Originally posted by Angelo Angelo wrote:

People who are waiting for new master pieces of the old are regressing rather than progressing probably. Let's look at what else is out there - there are more than enough bands that deserve our attention. Thing of Edensong, Fright Pig, Corvus Stone, Edison's Children, and many many more....

Attention? Sure.
Loyalty? Not so sure.
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2014 at 15:04
If we count "the flame" as the last remaining artistic worth of the so-called Big Five, then yes, it's probably fizzling out about now (or if we're being less charitable, it fizzled out by 1980), with the possible exception of King Crimson.  But if we think of "the flame" as the ongoing tradition of progressive rock, then I agree with others above that there are scores of bands with plenty more to offer - and not just in the sense of rehashing the classic prog styles, I mean really going out there and ripping it up.  Some of them are so progressive they don't even belong on this site, lol. Cool

Edited by HolyMoly - November 10 2014 at 15:05
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2014 at 15:06

ELP's last album was crap but then they were virtually crippled and trying to churn out an album to save a dying record company ( they might just as well as bombed it for the good it did). Their last brilliant album anyway was 1973's Brain Salad Surgery

Yes - Relayer was the last time they made a significant progressive rock statement imo although there are plenty of good albums that followed and I do like the most recent.

Genesis and the descent into pop music has been discussed to death but then they stopped being a proper working band 20 years ago.

Jethro Tull is the one band of the big five I don't own much of. I'm guessing though that they haven't made anything as good as say Thick and A Brick or A Passion Play since those albums. They found massive success in the USA in the eighties although I gather a lot of it was not proggy . The recent stuff by ian Anderson I do own and its very good but not exactly earth shattering.

Exactly what I was going to say, albeit I was going to be much more succinct about it.
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2014 at 15:07
Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

If we count "the flame" as the last remaining artistic worth of the so-called Big Five, then yes, it's probably fizzling out about now, with the possible exception of King Crimson.  But if we think of "the flame" as the ongoing tradition of progressive rock, then I agree with others above that there are scores of bands with plenty more to offer - and not just in the sense of rehashing the classic prog styles, I mean really going out there and ripping it up.  Some of them are so progressive they don't even belong on this site, lol. Cool

Right on Steve.

I'm not concerned that more recent Yes releases might get poor ratings - to echo Raff, no one is confiscating my copies of Tales or Relayer, I can stick with the music that made the band great, while focusing on great music that is being made by (relatively) current (younger, newer) artists.
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2014 at 15:14
Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

So if they aren't new any longer, wouldn't that mean they've had their chance and again come up short. Or is it that our expectations for "Great music" far outweighs the potential of the available contributors? Or put another way, are the current 'new' bands you're thinking of trying too hard to be progressive?

I believe I may have put it in the wrong way. When I said that many newcomers are not new any longer, I meant that they have been around for quite a long time, but their first efforts were released at a moment when interest in progressive music (unlike today) was very much at a low ebb.

As to trying too hard to be progressive, it depends on your personal idea of what progressive rock should be like. If you believe that prog should sound like the Big Five and their Seventies contemporaries, then you may not have a lot of time for those new acts that try to do something different from that template. In my personal opinion, however, this is where the future of the genre lies.
tboyd1802 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2014 at 15:30

I agree, KC is the exception and has successfully bucked the trend. But, as mentioned above KC really isn't a band in the traditional sense but is very much an idiosyncratic entity governed by the whims of one Mr. Fripp.

I was fortunate enough to see KC last month in San Francisco. Fantastic show that while featuring music from their classic era, was definitely not a greatest hits tour. Fripp has hinted that in addition to a European leg of the tour there will be a new studio offering. I for one, am looking forward to new music from this version of KC.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2014 at 15:30
The Power to Believe is my favorite KC album, but I don't think we're going to hear something like this again, so I thought it was a great swan song from KC and personally I hope it stays that way. Shocked  But if not, then good for fans looking for something new from them.

Because, I feel it's time to move on. There's a lot of great Prog metal going around now like POS Heart.

So the flame is not out. New candles have been lit. Tongue

Edited by SteveG - November 10 2014 at 15:40
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2014 at 15:32
Everyone knew the Pink Floyd album was gonna be all instrumental, 'cept for one song. Sure I was endlessly waiting for this one to come out, any PF is good. I was not expecting another WYWH, Animals or Ummagumma..simply the continuation of Division Bell sessions and their final output as Pink Floyd. The internet has created too much hype with releases now a days.
As far as some of the other classic progressive rock bands or Big 5...the flame died a long time ago with ELP, Yes, KC, Genesis. I cannot imagine bands like this continuing to produce as they did in the 70's, as we know the relationship issues killed most of these bands and broke them up.

Time for the new bands, say 2000s forward, to keep the fire burning. There are oodles of bands out there, but I fear most will not be together for 40yrs as the grandpas have been.....a few albums and they are done, as this wonderful music business world we live in now is not conducive to a long career path, without having to supplement with something else.

The last behemoth, Rush, probably has a couple big tours left in them and a few more albums and then they too will retire and or concentrate on smaller projects, hopefully helping newer artists succeed in carrying the torch forward.
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2014 at 15:34
Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

Originally posted by Angelo Angelo wrote:

Attention? Sure.
Loyalty? Not so sure.

You decide where your loyalty lies, that's all up to you. Mine lies with good or great (prog and non-prog) musicians, of all ages.
ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2014 at 15:36
^Listened to Winery Dogs today. I know it's not prog but newer bands like this keep me going! And WDs are great! Clap
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2014 at 15:41
I have never felt so positive about the future of great progressive rock music. 2014 has energised me more than most previous years, and this in nearly 40 years now of listening and buying.

There is some great music out there. There is some great new music out there.

Whether we like it, or not, the torch has passed to new generations, and, you know what? They are doing mighty fine, thank you very much.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 15>