Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Live Performance Reviews
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Yes - Palais Theatre, Melb, Australia 18 Nov 2014
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedYes - Palais Theatre, Melb, Australia 18 Nov 2014

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Yes - Palais Theatre, Melb, Australia 18 Nov 2014
    Posted: November 18 2014 at 10:20
YES - Live at the Palais Theatre, St Kilda, Melbourne, Australia, 18th November 2014

A top-notch performance from the vintage prog legends in Melbourne tonight, the band playing with even more finesse than the `Fly From Here' Melbourne show a few years back. They performed `Close To The Edge' and `Fragile' in their entirety, as well as a couple of favourites and two tracks off the new album. Lots of energy from the band, all of them seemed to be enjoying themselves, Jon Davison was sounding more at home than ever, and the new tracks had a bit more punch to them live. The crowd was having a blast too. Another wonderful night of progressive music!

The setlist was:

Close To The Edge - entire album

Believe Again
The Game (both off `Heaven and Earth')

Fragile - entire album

I've Seen All Good People
Starship Trooper

Yes, that's right, NO `Owner of a Lonely Heart'!

I don't need to go into much more detail, Yes are a finely honed prog machine these days and delivered a generally faultless live performance, unless of course you're an Anderson/Wakeman fanboy!

Here's a few more of my personal pictures that turned out pretty well, but sadly none of Alan White playing. Despite being in the second row, my mate and I were just in a bad position and couldn't get a clear shot of him! :

Man, I really dig that last shot!

Support act was a local Aussie band called the Widowbirds, and despite being a young band, they performed a cracking short set of 70's flavoured rock. Tight playing, great lead singer and catchy tunes with killer playing. I think everyone in the crowd was shocked at how good they were, and many had very positive things to say about them as they left the stage. Good on them!

Edited by Aussie-Byrd-Brother - November 18 2014 at 10:33
Michael678 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2014 at 14:02
i like the last one too as well as the one at the top! and the one with Davison is perfect for Alan as well! thank goodness we both had awesome times at the concerts!! Big smile

Edited by Michael678 - November 18 2014 at 14:07
Progrockdude
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2014 at 14:50
Wow, that's an awesome setlist! I hope they'll continue their tour in Europe next year, I would really like to see them.
The photo of Squire with him on the screen is also cool Tongue
Quirky Turkey View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2014 at 08:50
I was there!

It was a great concert, Steve and Chris were amazing as usual, Jon Davison was pretty flawless, and I was pleasantly surprised by them closing with Starship Trooper.

However I do have some criticisms:
First, Geoff Downes - Some of his keyboard tones were appalling; the electric piano during the 'I Get Up I Get Down' part of Close to the Edge sounded like a cheap casio keyboard! And some of the mellotron parts didn't sound great - That's a crime in my book. Also, he didn't whip out the keytar this time.

Then there's Alan White. I'm not sure if it's totally his fault but I found that the tempo for Close to the Edge was quite slower than on the album and the track suffered as a result. But I did find it funny how they simplified his drumming part for Five Per Cent For Nothing, adding a click track and giving him headphones (for ultra concentration) so he didn't stuff it up for everyone this time.

But yeah, it was still a fantastic concert - one of the better ones of the year for me.
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2014 at 18:30
Great, Quirky!

Yeah, they've been playing `Close' a little slower for some time now, I think I even recall it sounding like that even as far back as the live `Keys to Ascension' albums (I seem to think they were late 90's, or early 2000's), so I kind of expected that.

I did find Geoff seemed to be doing more than he did on the previous `Fly From Here' show in Melbourne a couple of years back. I think it's actually strange to hear them playing things like `Cans and Brahms' and `We Have Heaven' that are so identified with Wakeman and Anderson, same too I guess that Bruford solo piece that you mentioned with White above.
Chicapah View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2015 at 09:58
A related note:  Finally caught the current lineup on a telecast of their concert at Bristol last night on the AXYS channel.  Was impressed with the singer's ability to hit the high notes without strain and the band sounded tight and confident.  Very unaggressive approach, however, and that could be just a sign of them getting older.  I can relate!  Made me think back to when I saw them live three times in the 70s and there was no holding back on their part.  Ever.  I enjoyed the show and their playing Going for the One and The Yes Album in their entirety brought back some great memories.  I'd loved to have seen them last night performing with Anderson and Wakeman but I guess you can't have everything!

Edited by Chicapah - March 16 2015 at 10:00
"Literature is well enough, as a time-passer, and for the improvement and general elevation and purification of mankind, but it has no practical value" - Mark Twain
 Post Reply Post Reply