Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedFar out Synthesizer Solos in Early Prog

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Rick Robson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2014 at 12:25
Originally posted by brainstormer brainstormer wrote:

Originally posted by Rick Robson Rick Robson wrote:

I think it's easy to find these sort of Synth solos when it comes to RPI:

Le Orme - Figure Di Cartone

Great tone on that synth!  Thanks. 

You're welcome Thumbs Up

"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." LvB
brainstormer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2014 at 19:15
Thanks for all the suggestions.  Even the mellotron one, lol (Hugs back).
Vangelis Nucleaogensis is like 10-plus minute synth solo (Main Sequence
off the same album is great, too).   I think the Italians and Greeks have 
this one, but the synth solo in the Stranglers song was also great. 
--
Robert Pearson
Regenerative Music http://www.regenerativemusic.net
Telical Books http://www.telicalbooks.com
ParaMind Brainstorming Software http://www.paramind.net

fudgenuts64 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2014 at 19:51
This one... 1972!

Don't know what the video is about, but it certainly has nothing to do with the song. Starts at 4:26!

Edited by fudgenuts64 - November 20 2014 at 19:53
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2014 at 23:56
I truly don't know what Tony P used on the opening cut of Felona........
I originally thought it was a 'tron, then some distorted Logan string-synth, or perhaps it's a Hammond through some effects.........but I don't think it's a synth. He does use some way-out Moog textures though.....
I listened to IQ 's Nomzamo album last night, and thought the opening track No Love Lost had a grandiose synth intro.......very nicely done......

Edited by Tom Ozric - November 20 2014 at 23:57
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2014 at 03:23
Originally posted by Svetonio Svetonio wrote:

Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

I'd like to recommend Gentle Giant's Alucard ,  Nothing of All and The Queen (1970), The Who's Song Is Over (1971),  Aphrodite's Child's The Capture of The Beast (1972), Uriah Heep's Sweet Loraine (1972), Pink Floyd's Absolutely Curtains (1972), Caravan's The Dog, The Dog, He's At It Again (1973), and  Seventh Wave's Eversolightly (1974)

A wonderful combination of acoustic and early electronic instruments makes this album sound far ahead of its time. Acoustic and electric guitars, electric pianos, rotary effects and stretched electronic pads from modified organs and other electronic keyboards, it's all there. Vangelis experimented with anything he could get his hands on, thus creating dreamy landscapes that others could only produce years later when synthesizers started to become a common good. Perhaps the first "new age" sound ever?

Edited by richardh - November 21 2014 at 03:29
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2014 at 03:30

However I had a look at the excellent elsewhere site and it has some very interesting comments about the L'Apocalypse Des Animaux album from 1973:

A wonderful combination of acoustic and early electronic instruments makes this album sound far ahead of its time. Acoustic and electric guitars, electric pianos, rotary effects and stretched electronic pads from modified organs and other electronic keyboards, it's all there. Vangelis experimented with anything he could get his hands on, thus creating dreamy landscapes that others could only produce years later when synthesizers started to become a common good. Perhaps the first "new age" sound ever?

That is a beautiful album. Very surreal, wistful, evocative, quintessentially "Vangelis." It definitely sounds ahead of its time.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2014 at 03:33
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

However I had a look at the excellent elsewhere site and it has some very interesting comments about the L'Apocalypse Des Animaux album from 1973:

That is a beautiful album. Very surreal, wistful, evocative, quintessentially "Vangelis." It definitely sounds ahead of its time.

agreedThumbs Up

and yet we still wonder why Vangelis was moved out 'Progressive Electronic'UnhappyOuch
Rick Robson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2014 at 03:41
^This confirms what Brainstormer said: 'the Italians and Greeks have this one', btw 1973 was the year of Felona & Sorona too, as called in the OP.

"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." LvB
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2014 at 04:07

I'd like to recommend Gentle Giant's Alucard ,  Nothing of All and The Queen (1970), The Who's Song Is Over (1971),  Aphrodite's Child's The Capture of The Beast (1972), Uriah Heep's Sweet Loraine (1972), Pink Floyd's Absolutely Curtains (1972), Caravan's The Dog, The Dog, He's At It Again (1973), and  Seventh Wave's Eversolightly (1974)

I didn't think there were any synths on that Aphrodites Child album? 
Of course there are synth riffs at 666, as you can hear that in the sample above from 1:40 to 2:00;
sadly that 666 was already recorded in 1970 but then the album was waiting for two years to be released...

The sleevenotes don't help with this unfortunately as it states next to Vangelis -Organ, Piano, Flute, Percussion,Vibes + Various Others , Vocal Backing but no mention of synths

My understanding was that Vangelis did not use synths until 1975 and the album Heaven and Hell ( edit used also on Ignacio from the same year)

Could it be done overdub at 666? What do you think? I mean, the material was already recorded in 1970. But, 666 the album was released in 1972; so maybe those slightly synth riffs were added just before 666 was finally released
Or synth wasn't mentioned in sleevenotes just because the synth riffs were very slightly presented on the album? Personally, I do not see any other reason that synth was not mentioned in sleevenotes, due to the fact that early synth riffs are there, at the album, and we can hear them very clear in that less than 3-minute long but stunning progressive rock gem what The Capture of the Beast from 666 really is.

Btw, regarding the link to Elsewhere site that you posted above, at the same site there's an interview with Vangelis that is done in 1976 for Oor mag and in my opinion this is the most interesting part of article:

The use of percussion instruments in this sort of lyrical and symphonic music is relatively unique. Vangelis: "That’s correct. Although what’s on Heaven and Hell might sound quite complex at times, my basic contributions on the keyboards, not in any way bounded by strict rules, are usually as simple as one plus one equals two. In the domain of the more or less symphonic sound-progressions, brought about in the spirit of the moment, the contributions of the percussion instruments bring power, energy and positive vibrations that are strictly necessary to avoid making the total result a tedious ego-trip." The performance of "Heaven and Hell" at the Royal Albert Hall was a real tour de force and a strange experience which turned into a complete triumph for Vangelis. Assisted by no less than two sidemen, among whom renowned conductor David Bedford(5), Vangelis played a large number of keyboard and percussion instruments. Also making their appearance was an African (percussion-) group. Some 20 girls of London’s Queens College took place behind an equal number of ‘Timpanis’ (a sort of drums). Roughly the same number of ladies in red dresses stood surrounding two enormous drums which they played in a sort of ritual round dance. The 40-odd strong English Chamber Choir plus Greek singer Vana Veroutis completed the cast. Vana didn’t actually use any words when singing. It was rather a case of her emitting sounds. Just like on the last record by the way. Does Vangelis not believe in the power of speech? "The voice (and not the word) is the expression of the body. If you can only say something with words, it cannot really be sincere. Words are insensitive. Outbursts of formalism. The sounds made by the voice are sincere expressions of feelings or emotions circulating within the body." As a musician Vangelis is self-taught. Which you can hardly imagine when you see him in action. He’s in the possession of a fluid, sensitive style on the keyboard instruments. When he plays them he shows a technical craft normally only encountered among classical musicians. The list of keyboard instruments he plays is equally impressive. A Bosendorfer grand piano, a Hohner Clavinet, a Hammond B3 organ, a Fender 88 electric piano, an Elka Rhapsody ‘String’ Machine, a Tornado ‘reed’ organ, a Farfisa organ, an ARP Prosolist, a Crumar compact piano, two Mini-Korg 700, two Roland synthesizers, two Clavioli and two stylophone 350S mini-synthesizers. And that’s enough of that.

How does Vangelis view the musical changes he has gone through since Aphrodite’s Child and his solo-LP "Earth"? Vangelis: "Three years ago already I could have made a record like Heaven and Hell. Technically speaking I was ready for it. Why I didn’t do it back then? Because the pop-market wasn’t ready for it at that moment. Some of the recordings I made 10 years ago are musically and technically speaking more complex than Heaven and Hell. The problem you have to deal with as a musician and creator of music is that you have to fight against a market, a record-company and a world for brainwashed people. As creator or performer of pop-music in 1976 you very quickly become the victim of the economic powers of this world who have meanwhile also taken over pop-music. In the sixties the creation and performance of pop-music was a form of (social) protest. Now the creation and performance of pop-music have become big business and most pop-musicians are photo-models in disguise who behave like mindless marionettes in the service of the public and the record-companies.

http://elsew.com/data/oor76.htm

Edited by Svetonio - November 21 2014 at 07:00
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2014 at 10:12

Hi,

I never considered a "solo" as anything but a part of the music ... it doesn't mean anything if all it is, is a solo, and then you can call it "jazz" music.

It's really sad to see music reduced to nothing, and just notes ... and how many folks are not capable/willing to listen to it past the notes, or the "solo".

Why even bother calling it "progressive', if your thinking and attitude is nowhere near it? You wouldn't recognize a piece that was not a solo anywhere!

Edited by moshkito - November 21 2014 at 10:12
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2014 at 10:36
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

Howdy,

You are a very complex person. Sometimes your posts are among the most thought provoking and interesting stuff I've read on these boards while other times you write just about the dumbest things I've read on the whole internet. 

You may not know this but many of the musicians I know you genuinely treasure occationally use terms such as (favorite) soloparts and extended codas when talking about different parts of a compostition.

How about trying to accept that there's valid and honest approaches to both loving and writing about music that come across different than yours? 

Edited by Saperlipopette! - November 21 2014 at 13:27
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2014 at 13:03

Of course there are synth riffs at 666, as you can hear that in the sample above from 1:40 to 2:00;
sadly that 666 was already recorded in 1970 but then the album was waiting for two years to be released...

The sleevenotes don't help with this unfortunately as it states next to Vangelis -Organ, Piano, Flute, Percussion,Vibes + Various Others , Vocal Backing but no mention of synths

My understanding was that Vangelis did not use synths until 1975 and the album Heaven and Hell ( edit used also on Ignacio from the same year)

Could it be done overdub at 666? What do you think? I mean, the material was already recorded in 1970. But, 666 the album was released in 1972; so maybe those slightly synth riffs were added just before 666 was finally released
Or synth wasn't mentioned in sleevenotes just because the synth riffs were very slightly presented on the album? Personally, I do not see any other reason that synth was not mentioned in sleevenotes, due to the fact that early synth riffs are there, at the album, and we can hear them very clear in that less than 3-minute long but stunning progressive rock gem what The Capture of the Beast from 666 really is.

Btw, regarding the link to Elsewhere site that you posted above, at the same site there's an interview with Vangelis that is done in 1976 for Oor mag and in my opinion this is the most interesting part of article:

The use of percussion instruments in this sort of lyrical and symphonic music is relatively unique. Vangelis: "That’s correct. Although what’s on Heaven and Hell might sound quite complex at times, my basic contributions on the keyboards, not in any way bounded by strict rules, are usually as simple as one plus one equals two. In the domain of the more or less symphonic sound-progressions, brought about in the spirit of the moment, the contributions of the percussion instruments bring power, energy and positive vibrations that are strictly necessary to avoid making the total result a tedious ego-trip." The performance of "Heaven and Hell" at the Royal Albert Hall was a real tour de force and a strange experience which turned into a complete triumph for Vangelis. Assisted by no less than two sidemen, among whom renowned conductor David Bedford(5), Vangelis played a large number of keyboard and percussion instruments. Also making their appearance was an African (percussion-) group. Some 20 girls of London’s Queens College took place behind an equal number of ‘Timpanis’ (a sort of drums). Roughly the same number of ladies in red dresses stood surrounding two enormous drums which they played in a sort of ritual round dance. The 40-odd strong English Chamber Choir plus Greek singer Vana Veroutis completed the cast. Vana didn’t actually use any words when singing. It was rather a case of her emitting sounds. Just like on the last record by the way. Does Vangelis not believe in the power of speech? "The voice (and not the word) is the expression of the body. If you can only say something with words, it cannot really be sincere. Words are insensitive. Outbursts of formalism. The sounds made by the voice are sincere expressions of feelings or emotions circulating within the body." As a musician Vangelis is self-taught. Which you can hardly imagine when you see him in action. He’s in the possession of a fluid, sensitive style on the keyboard instruments. When he plays them he shows a technical craft normally only encountered among classical musicians. The list of keyboard instruments he plays is equally impressive. A Bosendorfer grand piano, a Hohner Clavinet, a Hammond B3 organ, a Fender 88 electric piano, an Elka Rhapsody ‘String’ Machine, a Tornado ‘reed’ organ, a Farfisa organ, an ARP Prosolist, a Crumar compact piano, two Mini-Korg 700, two Roland synthesizers, two Clavioli and two stylophone 350S mini-synthesizers. And that’s enough of that.

How does Vangelis view the musical changes he has gone through since Aphrodite’s Child and his solo-LP "Earth"? Vangelis: "Three years ago already I could have made a record like Heaven and Hell. Technically speaking I was ready for it. Why I didn’t do it back then? Because the pop-market wasn’t ready for it at that moment. Some of the recordings I made 10 years ago are musically and technically speaking more complex than Heaven and Hell. The problem you have to deal with as a musician and creator of music is that you have to fight against a market, a record-company and a world for brainwashed people. As creator or performer of pop-music in 1976 you very quickly become the victim of the economic powers of this world who have meanwhile also taken over pop-music. In the sixties the creation and performance of pop-music was a form of (social) protest. Now the creation and performance of pop-music have become big business and most pop-musicians are photo-models in disguise who behave like mindless marionettes in the service of the public and the record-companies.

good theory about the overdubs , makes sense

Vangelis was understandably suspicious of record companies even in 1976 and with good justification. One likes to believe in the freedom of music but endless compromises....
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2014 at 21:01

good theory about the overdubs , makes sense

Vangelis was understandably suspicious of record companies even in 1976 and with good justification. One likes to believe in the freedom of music but endless compromises....

This is larger than a newspaper article, yet got replies thus might be interesting. I don't know yet as just the length of it is overwhelming to read. On a better day maybe, will save this in favorites tab just in case.   
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2014 at 12:43
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

Hi,

Howdy,

You are a very complex person. Sometimes your posts are among the most thought provoking and interesting stuff I've read on these boards while other times you write just about the dumbest things I've read on the whole internet. 

You may not know this but many of the musicians I know you genuinely treasure occationally use terms such as (favorite) soloparts and extended codas when talking about different parts of a compostition.

How about trying to accept that there's valid and honest approaches to both loving and writing about music that come across different than yours? 

Sadly, you are confusing "popular music" with other things out there. Calling the guitar style in Egberto Gismonti a "solo" is stupid, and bad music knowledge. Calling Keith Jarrett's majority of work a "solo" means the rest is worthless.

Pop music insists on "solos" to show its heroic side and its star appeal ... other music, does not. Calling Jon McLaughlin's work, just "solos" is like saying ... you're not listening.

It's all I'm saying ... not everyone plays "solos" ... and Daevid Allen laughed hard the one time I joked about a solo in Gong. He joked that there were too many individuals to bother with a solo ... but now everyone calls some of those bits "solos" ... and he goes ... "let them! But it won't stop me!"

Even classical music had problems with "solo" stuff ... they created concerti specially for an instrument instead and there is no solo in  the piece otherwise. And opera created an "aria" to separate that part from the rest of the music ... the only stuff that does solos is pop music ... the least complicated music design there is! Rock and jazz created the solo to make it look like the music is better and the player is more important! WOW .... kiss me!

But Mike Oldfield might call it a solo ... but Vangelis doesn't!

Not everyone is the same!

Edited by moshkito - November 22 2014 at 12:43
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2014 at 14:28
But none of us are doing that Pedro
Where do you get these things from?
I would never dream of equating either Keith Jarret or Egberto Gismonti's work to a solo or solos, but there are solos to find in both of these artist's oevre....just like there is in Yes, Amon Düül ll, Can etc etc....
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2014 at 10:57

Sadly, you are confusing "popular music" with other things out there. Calling the guitar style in Egberto Gismonti a "solo" is stupid, and bad music knowledge. Calling Keith Jarrett's majority of work a "solo" means the rest is worthless.
No I don't and sadly you confuse me with a complete idiot that knows nothing about music. 

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2014 at 14:24

No I don't and sadly you confuse me with a complete idiot that knows nothing about music. 

That was not the intent, unless you wish to think so!

All I'm saying is that many of the folks in "progressive" music also had the ability that has been in music for thousands of years to create something that today we like to call "solo" because we are not willing or capable of discussing the musical ability that those folks have, some of which would probably be way better than some of the best known performers in the last 500 years!

Why?

The old days had no media for anyone to hear things and compare, and today, this has helped foilks take that ability to incredible degrees of quality, and compositional elements that would not even be considered 300 years ago!

"Solo", in my book, is for the "hits" ... you don't go to see Turandot for one aria or solo. You don't go to see Clapton for one "solo" ... it's an idiotic idea. The issue is that we refuse to give rock music, and its many variations the credit it deserves as solid music that deserves consideration and mention in the history of music ... everyone here, talks about it as just another pop song with a bridge and a solo in it and nothign else ... and after a while that discussion, and THAT SONG are blank, boring, repetitious and have nothing to shake you with!

Why are you, and others, refusing to elevate teh music, when so much of it is way better than merely a pop song? Ohhh btw, Tangerine Dream is a bunch of fa****s and ugly old f**kers that can't play, since all they do during their shows is solo from beginning to the end ... !!!!

Sorry!!!! Your music definition and understanding needs to spread out a bit more. On the floor with a piss is a good start!
www.pedrosena.com
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2014 at 14:31

Why?. The issue is that we refuse to give rock music, and its many variations the credit it deserves as solid music that deserves consideration and mention in the history of music ... everyone here, talks about it as just another pop song with a bridge and a solo in it and nothign else ...

!

that is just complete bollocks
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2014 at 14:59

That was not the intent, unless you wish to think so!

All I'm saying is that many of the folks in "progressive" music also had the ability that has been in music for thousands of years to create something that today we like to call "solo" because we are not willing or capable of discussing the musical ability that those folks have, some of which would probably be way better than some of the best known performers in the last 500 years!

Why?

The old days had no media for anyone to hear things and compare, and today, this has helped foilks take that ability to incredible degrees of quality, and compositional elements that would not even be considered 300 years ago!

"Solo", in my book, is for the "hits" ... you don't go to see Turandot for one aria or solo. You don't go to see Clapton for one "solo" ... it's an idiotic idea. The issue is that we refuse to give rock music, and its many variations the credit it deserves as solid music that deserves consideration and mention in the history of music ... everyone here, talks about it as just another pop song with a bridge and a solo in it and nothign else ... and after a while that discussion, and THAT SONG are blank, boring, repetitious and have nothing to shake you with!

Why are you, and others, refusing to elevate teh music, when so much of it is way better than merely a pop song? Ohhh btw, Tangerine Dream is a bunch of fa****s and ugly old f**kers that can't play, since all they do during their shows is solo from beginning to the end ... !!!!

Sorry!!!! Your music definition and understanding needs to spread out a bit more. On the floor with a piss is a good start!

You can't expect everyone else to think like you Pedro. The way you think of 'solos' are so far removed from anything mentioned in this thread that it literally boggles the mind. Don't get me wrong, I understand where you're coming from, but that is NOT the discussion right now. 
The above post of yours is highly disrespectful of anyone who isn't 'in on' this pseudo interpretation of yours, and it is furthermore some of the most condescending bull I've read in a long time. 
Please refrain from talking down to us mere mortals. Seems like every post you write these days lashes out at innocent bystanders, collaborators or the site itself. If you cannot express your feelings without trashing your surroundings, then I wholeheartedly recommend you go somewhere else. 
You may not see it like this, but 90% of what you write these days is downright offensive. Take your snobbery elsewhere.

We are not refusing to elevate the music - on the contrary: we are trying to do exactly that - just through words and simple conversations that normal folks can understand using common words like solos, codas and the likes.....just like your favourite musicians do. Yep I'll bet that even Vangelis uses a word like solo. You just re-leave the word completely of it's meaning and take it even further - suddenly assuming that you know what and how we feel whenever we use such a word. How could you ever know monsieur Nostradamus?

Edited by Guldbamsen - November 24 2014 at 15:01
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2014 at 15:11
Perhaps it easier to ask what Synthesizer solos were NOT far out in early prog. LOL
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>