Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Looking for dark sci-fi or fantasy TV suggestions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Looking for dark sci-fi or fantasy TV suggestions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 10111213>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2020 at 14:47
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

If you like good drama with a b it of supernatural try City of Angels...Penny Dreadful part 2. Showtime...I liked the first season better but this has some creds with Nathan Lane ,Natalie Dormer, Rory Kinnear et al.

Yep that's finally landed in the UK. I watched the first episode but the over 'ripe' German accents coming from Kinnear and Dormer's characters are a bit hard to stomach. It has some good things and Nathan Lane is a nice bit of casting as a 'seen it all' ageing Cop. I'll stick with it.

dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2020 at 15:44
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

If you like good drama with a b it of supernatural try City of Angels...Penny Dreadful part 2. Showtime...I liked the first season better but this has some creds with Nathan Lane ,Natalie Dormer, Rory Kinnear et al.

Yep that's finally landed in the UK. I watched the first episode but the over 'ripe' German accents coming from Kinnear and Dormer's characters are a bit hard to stomach. It has some good things and Nathan Lane is a nice bit of casting as a 'seen it all' ageing Cop. I'll stick with it.

It has some faults but then it'still better than most of the shows on tv. I wish they would focus on the demon woman and her machinations and go a little lighter on the political/racial aspects.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2020 at 18:57
I can't remember who suggested it, but I'm really loving the Danish series, Rain (on Netflix). Not as predictable as I expected.

Edited by BrufordFreak - July 08 2020 at 18:58
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2020 at 17:19
I've just finished the first season of The Dark on Netflix. Completely impossible to follow the 'plot' and its so painfully slow. Why is it so highly rated?
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2020 at 20:23
Haven't watched Dark...was going to though....maybe I'll wait.

Haunting of Hill House is ok,,,but they really changed up the original story line.
I heard Frankenstein Chronicles is good.
Haquin
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2020 at 00:16
Just watched Episode One of Lovercraft Country

a weird but brilliant mixture of sci-fi and drama surrounding the racial tensions of the 1920's Deep South of America from the minds of Jordan Peele and JJ Abrams. If you are not watching this then what are you doing lol.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2020 at 21:21

a weird but brilliant mixture of sci-fi and drama surrounding the racial tensions of the 1920's Deep South of America from the minds of Jordan Peele and JJ Abrams. If you are not watching this then what are you doing lol.

I have it taped..plan to watch it since I own all the Lovecraft stories and have been a fan for many years.
I also have Lovecraft type tales b y several writers who picked up on his theme.
It sounds like they changed the story line quite a bit to satisfy modern needs since racial tension in the south had nothing to do with his tales.....I really don't understand why they feel the need to do that.
But I'll watch if it still contains the Old One's horror.
Haquin
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2020 at 01:02

I have it taped..plan to watch it since I own all the Lovecraft stories and have been a fan for many years.
I also have Lovecraft type tales b y several writers who picked up on his theme.
It sounds like they changed the story line quite a bit to satisfy modern needs since racial tension in the south had nothing to do with his tales.....I really don't understand why they feel the need to do that.
But I'll watch if it still contains the Old One's horror.

There does seem to be a heck of a a lot of TV with racial themes now , obviously no coincidence but as long as its done well then I'm fine. I did wonder what exactly I was watching (genre wise) for a while but then I had similar feelings watching Joker in the cinema last year.

Something else I've started watching is The Umbrella Academy. Seems promising although I'm hoping it won't just end up being another Titans as that got boring very quickly. 
wiz_d_kidd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wiz_d_kidd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2020 at 06:41
Originally posted by BrufordFreak BrufordFreak wrote:

I can't remember who suggested it, but I'm really loving the Danish series, Rain (on Netflix). Not as predictable as I expected.

My wife and i just finished watching The Rain and enjoyed it. For those who are unaware of it, it's about a brother and sister who try to survive a viral pandemic initially spread in rainfall. Twenty total episodes over three seasons makes it a quick binge watch. Not a highly complex plot, but plenty of twists and turns to keep it moving forward. Available on NetFlix with English dubbing.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2020 at 01:38
If you live in the UK and are looking for something to binge today then I would recommend the French sci-fi drama The Last Wave. You can find it on the BBC I-player. I watched it in a couple of days but there are only 6 episodes so you can watch it in a day at a push. I love the fact that amongst the 'hokum' the drama is nailed down tight and always engrossing. I won't give any of the plot away. Enjoy!
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2020 at 20:31
Try the Umbrella Academy...based on the graphic novels, superheroes, sci-fi  and comedy all in one show.

Edited by dr wu23 - August 31 2020 at 20:33
Haquin
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2020 at 15:51

Try the Umbrella Academy...based on the graphic novels, superheroes, sci-fi  and comedy all in one show.

yep I'm watching that , so much better than Titans which it bares some resemblance to. Having Ellen Page on board helps as well.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2020 at 13:22
Not really fantasy (or indeed sci-fi), but still fits the topic well methinks, but I really liked The Third Day -- just seen the first three episodes of this miniseries with Jude Law which works as a complete story (more to come and there was a curious live event that I didn't see). I watched on my streaming HBO thing through Crave TV in Canada. It immediately brought to mind The Wicker Man and a quite recent Netflix movie that I liked a great deal called The Apostle. Dennis Kelly was one of the writer/creators and he was responsible for one of my absolute favourite TV shows (violent and quite disturbing) that I have mentioned more than once in this topic, Utopia.

I was also watching HBO's sci-fi show Raised by Wolves. It's well-made, but I stopped after a few episodes. I will continue anon. I found it rather too unrelentingly bleak and a little ham-fisted.

I really liked the first series of the Umbrella Academy, but was having difficulty getting into the second. The Watchmen series was more to my liking.

Must see The Last Wave.

Edited by Logan - October 01 2020 at 13:28
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2020 at 15:59
^ If you liked Watchmen , then you must really check out Lovecraft Country. I only watched the first 5 episodes as I didn't renew my streaming subscription that covers HBO (it hurt a lot but there just isn't enough to justify the outlay unfortunately) but it was extremely challenging stuff from the joint producers Jordan Peele (Twilight Zone) and JJ Abrams (sh*tloads)!

Just landed on Netflix is the UK series Misfits. This has a similar theme to the likes of Heroes and The Umbrella Academy but is a lot more rude and way more fun! Actors include Iwan Rheon (pre Game of Thrones) and Antonio Thomas (now a main cast member of the hit series The Good Doctor). I binged the whole first season which is something I rarely do.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2020 at 18:39
I love Misfits, that's been my favourite superpowers show. Lactokinesis was one of my favourite powers. I've seen all the episodes multiple times. Dark, rude and funny, and even quite moving. It used to be on Netflix Canada, but I'd seen it all before that. Amazon's The Boys is another that impressed me. And for those who like Misfits, I do recommend Crazyhead. Was planning to start on Lovecraft Country next.
Shadowyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2020 at 20:45
Night Visions is a TV series in the vein of The Twilight Zone. I especially recommend Episode 3a (A View Through the Window). It is an adaptation of Bob Leman's sci-fi short story; Window. Pretty impressive, I daresay.

Edited by Shadowyzard - October 02 2020 at 20:46
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2020 at 04:44
A new series called Utopia has just landed on Amazon. Seriously dark stuff. I don't think I've seen anything quite as nasty as this for a long time but it is a compelling watch.
wiz_d_kidd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wiz_d_kidd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2020 at 07:46

A new series called Utopia has just landed on Amazon. Seriously dark stuff. I don't think I've seen anything quite as nasty as this for a long time but it is a compelling watch.

Are you referring to this one from 2013?

Or what is apparently a recent remake:

By the descriptions, neither version sounds particularly dark or nasty.

BTW, the original gets much better reviews.
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2020 at 09:29
 Not sure if someone mentioned this one but The Expanse is pretty good. It's on Amazon prime. 
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2020 at 17:16
Originally posted by wiz_d_kidd wiz_d_kidd wrote:

Are you referring to this one from 2013?

Or what is apparently a recent remake:

By the descriptions, neither version sounds particularly dark or nasty.

BTW, the original gets much better reviews.

the second one . Didn't realise it was a remake.

people being executed with heroine overdoses and a man having one his eyes gauged out with a spoon is pretty nasty I think. It could easily be very cartoonish but I've not laughed once as yet despite a bunch of nerds being taken out be a couple of hit-men . It seems to have succeeded where Hunters failed miserably. Portraying graphic violence in a realistic way.  
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 10111213>