Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
48 [71.64%]
19 [28.36%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2014 at 02:53
I've made a rule that I cannot vote in the poll if I don't own at least one album by each of the options. In this case I don't own any Strawbs albums so I am unable to vote for my favourite band (ELP). Doesn't look like its going to matter though.
Walton Street View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2014 at 06:51
I love Strawbs ...

I can barely tolerate ELP.

There I said it.  Am I getting kicked off the forum now?
"I know one thing: that I know nothing"

- SpongeBob Socrates
Rick Robson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2014 at 07:48
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

I've made a rule that I cannot vote in the poll if I don't own at least one album by each of the options. In this case I don't own any Strawbs albums so I am unable to vote for my favourite band (ELP). Doesn't look like its going to matter though.

Hey Richardh right on, but it is going to matter further on. Is that true that members of the ELP Ultra's have the exclusivity of multi-screen votes? LOL Wow! Do I deserve the right to be a newby member of it? Big smile It would be actually great! An honour indeed!

"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." LvB
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2014 at 08:23
Originally posted by Walton Street Walton Street wrote:

I love Strawbs ...

I suspect Micky will wait until after the tournament to find everyone that voted against ELP, then breakout the pitchforks and stakes!
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

Metalmarsh89 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2014 at 13:34
ELP. I do enjoy the Strawbs, but ELP just a bit more.
Want to play mafia? Visit here.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2014 at 13:37
Originally posted by Rick Robson Rick Robson wrote:

Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Hey Richardh right on, but it is going to matter further on. Is that true that members of the ELP Ultra's have the exclusivity of multi-screen votes? LOL Wow! Do I deserve the right to be a newby member of it? Big smile It would be actually great! An honour indeed!

SSHHH! Wink
digdug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2014 at 13:40
Strawbs are cool  but ELP for me by a long shot
Prog On!
bhikkhu View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2014 at 14:48
Originally posted by sleeper sleeper wrote:

Originally posted by Walton Street Walton Street wrote:

I love Strawbs ...

I suspect Micky will wait until after the tournament to find everyone that voted against ELP, then breakout the pitchforks and stakes!

I think he actually has a professional hit squad.

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2014 at 15:26
yeah. I just didn't get an Italian for a wife, I got the whole Italian family along with her.

Scary folks. They love me, but they scare me, and should ELP HATERS!!! LOLLOL

Edited by micky - December 01 2014 at 15:26
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2014 at 15:37
Originally posted by Polymorphia Polymorphia wrote:

Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

For micky, as I promised:

I like to extend an olive branch to ELP fans and give ELP albums an extra star for its place in music history on top of its intrinsic value. For Tarkus, that makes two stars total.

But really I applaud ELP fans for their iron stomachs.

I was an ELP fan once. Then I listened to them.

How is Carl Palmer like woman's pants? His pocket is too shallow to hold anything of worth and everybody wants to him out of the picture.

Thus, I vote for the lesser of the two evils, the bland but occasionally delightful Strawbs. Wink

Clap  let me get the clappie out of the way.  Love the picture.  Is  that supposed to be someone. If so I don't recoginize them.

Now.  Arguing personal tastes is as pointless as is stupid. However if I can be honest, anyone giving Tarkus 2 stars in a review is a blaring red light that one has ZERO objectivity in their reviewing skill set and is a reviewer to be ignored with extreme prejudice.  One thing I've noticed is good reviewers can differentiate between their tastes and the subject being reviewed.  One does not have to like the art... however if one really wants to be taken seriously you have to at least appreciate the attempt.  Tarkus is hailed as a landmark album in prog and the side one epic is consistently tagged as one of the greatest expression of the side long epic ever in prog.  One doesn't have to like it, however one has to realize there is something there, even if one does not see it themselves.  A great warning sign that .. hey.. perhaps I am missing something. Not to toot my own horn, but I absolutely DETESTED a modern classic prog album but still rated it highly. I just made it clear I didn't like it but there was no ignoring its import or influence and WAS an album that any well rounded prog fan should have and know.  My review and the venom in it was just a warning that listeners of simiilar tastes to me might find it as revolting and sickening to the senses as I did hahah.

Oh.. what is the deal with Carl Palmer. You completely lost me there. LOL
It was supposed to be Dave Cousins but the image editor burred the image beyond recognition. Embarrassed

Now I did give Tarkus two stars but it was an honest two stars (no extra stars for the history kind of thing). Far from objective, but what does a listener have without his own subjective opinion?

And that reasoning is why I don't do much reviewing. LOL

Here's the thing: The reason you gave that "modern classic" prog album was simply because of its place within prog. That's understandable, especially if you were writing for a prog magazine (I would see no reason to hold back if I were writing for another genre). But, on a user-based site like PA, if it is really a modern classic, there are going to be enough people giving it high ratings. People need to hear a variety of opinions on the album if those opinions exist and can be stated well. Otherwise, the algorithmic results on the site will be far from an objective representation of the subjective opinions and the sum of subjective opinions are the only thing that make it a classic. I don't think the script attributed to the stars should be read into that much. If a classic isn't a classic to you, the rest of the lemmings oughtta be enough to outweigh you.

Anyway, I like to see blood and guts sometimes in reviewing. One of my favorite reviews is Guldbamsen's 2-star review of Deafheaven's Sunbather which made me think a little harder about the points I was making even though I gave it 5-stars.

what a listener always has a subjective opinion.  I used your post of course as a soap box against one of my long running issues with the site.  the ratings themselves.  The worth of a review is in the review not the rating. If I had my way, and I did try, I would abolish them.  Remove that crutch and have the reviews (and reviewers) speak for themselves instead of having to explain or justify the ratings given to the album.

I tried to do the reviewing thing myself. I couldn't do it, I couldn't balance strong feelings one way while feeling (as well as understanding) that ratings as written (and used) by the site are inconstistent with simple personal tastes. It also didn't help I really never felt I was a good reviewer.  This site has some great ones,  like most people, if I feel I can not do a good adequate job I won't waste the time doing something subpar. I don't have a talent for words, others do. My talents lie elsewhere I suppose hahah.

Cheers bro! and love the pic. I have already highjacked it, you will see it again in another thread in about two weeks LOL
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2014 at 15:54

I like to extend an olive branch to ELP fans and give ELP albums an extra star for its place in music history on top of its intrinsic value. For Tarkus, that makes two stars total.

How is Carl Palmer like woman's pants? His pocket is too shallow to hold anything of worth and everybody wants to him out of the picture.

Thus, I vote for the lesser of the two evils, the bland but occasionally delightful Strawbs. Wink

Clap  let me get the clappie out of the way.  Love the picture.  Is  that supposed to be someone. If so I don't recoginize them.

Now.  Arguing personal tastes is as pointless as is stupid. However if I can be honest, anyone giving Tarkus 2 stars in a review is a blaring red light that one has ZERO objectivity in their reviewing skill set and is a reviewer to be ignored with extreme prejudice.  One thing I've noticed is good reviewers can differentiate between their tastes and the subject being reviewed.  One does not have to like the art... however if one really wants to be taken seriously you have to at least appreciate the attempt.  Tarkus is hailed as a landmark album in prog and the side one epic is consistently tagged as one of the greatest expression of the side long epic ever in prog.  One doesn't have to like it, however one has to realize there is something there, even if one does not see it themselves.  A great warning sign that .. hey.. perhaps I am missing something. Not to toot my own horn, but I absolutely DETESTED a modern classic prog album but still rated it highly. I just made it clear I didn't like it but there was no ignoring its import or influence and WAS an album that any well rounded prog fan should have and know.  My review and the venom in it was just a warning that listeners of simiilar tastes to me might find it as revolting and sickening to the senses as I did hahah.

It was supposed to be Dave Cousins but the image editor burred the image beyond recognition. Embarrassed

Now I did give Tarkus two stars but it was an honest two stars (no extra stars for the history kind of thing). Far from objective, but what does a listener have without his own subjective opinion?

Here's the thing: The reason you gave that "modern classic" prog album was simply because of its place within prog. That's understandable, especially if you were writing for a prog magazine (I would see no reason to hold back if I were writing for another genre). But, on a user-based site like PA, if it is really a modern classic, there are going to be enough people giving it high ratings. People need to hear a variety of opinions on the album if those opinions exist and can be stated well. Otherwise, the algorithmic results on the site will be far from an objective representation of the subjective opinions and the sum of subjective opinions are the only thing that make it a classic. I don't think the script attributed to the stars should be read into that much. If a classic isn't a classic to you, the rest of the lemmings oughtta be enough to outweigh you.

Anyway, I like to see blood and guts sometimes in reviewing. One of my favorite reviews is Guldbamsen's 2-star review of Deafheaven's Sunbather which made me think a little harder about the points I was making even though I gave it 5-stars.

what a listener always has a subjective opinion.  I used your post of course as a soap box against one of my long running issues with the site.  the ratings themselves.  The worth of a review is in the review not the rating. If I had my way, and I did try, I would abolish them.  Remove that crutch and have the reviews (and reviewers) speak for themselves instead of having to explain or justify the ratings given to the album.

I tried to do the reviewing thing myself. I couldn't do it, I couldn't balance strong feelings one way while feeling (as well as understanding) that ratings as written (and used) by the site are inconstistent with simple personal tastes. It also didn't help I really never felt I was a good reviewer.  This site has some great ones,  like most people, if I feel I can not do a good adequate job I won't waste the time doing something subpar. I don't have a talent for words, others do. My talents lie elsewhere I suppose hahah.

Cheers bro! and love the pic. I have already highjacked it, you will see it again in another thread in about two weeks LOL
Yeah, I can understand how ratings can be very inadequate to describe an album. But stating qualitative opinions quantitatively is 5-stars worth of fun. Wink Cheers!
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2014 at 18:40
A David V.s Goliath, Micky.  I'll never back the underdog, so I'll go with ELP over Strawbs (who are still better than Kansas).
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2014 at 18:44
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

A David V.s Goliath, Micky.  I'll never back the underdog, so I'll go with ELP over Strawbs (who are still better than Kansas).

yeah. Actually Steve, I really did think this would be closer. 

One underestimates ELP hate at their own peril when handicapping these things. Good thing I'm smart with money and don't gamble.  I'd have lost everything by now. Between this, Rush, and DSO. Ouch LOL
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2014 at 18:47

Yeah, I can understand how ratings can be very inadequate to describe an album. But stating qualitative opinions quantitatively is 5-stars worth of fun. Wink Cheers!

haha.  Fun is what it is really ALL about.  You should have seen the tremors my '5 star' review of that Dream Theater album created. People going apesh*t on the forum.. reporting it to the admins..  everyone 'in the know' had a helluva good laugh out of it. They understood what I was doing.
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2014 at 18:58
^I remember that review, definitely a good laugh and so were the reactions.
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2014 at 19:18
Originally posted by sleeper sleeper wrote:

^I remember that review, definitely a good laugh and so were the reactions.

I'm proud to say I've had my hands all over some classic PA's moments.. that was one I was most proud of. LOL
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2014 at 21:58
ELP by a country mile.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2014 at 02:02
Most regard Tarkus side one as ELP's masterpiece although I find the studio version somewhat in the shadow of that brilliant live version of the WBMFTTSTNE album. Tarkus Side 2 is what drags the ratings down understandably although still maintains a healthly 3.9ish average rating which isn't bad for half an albumTongue
Walton Street View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2014 at 06:35
I don't 'hate' ELP ... there are a few songs I really like, but for the most part, listening to them (for me) is like having a giant clown beating me in the face with a circus organ being played by a lunatic. 
"I know one thing: that I know nothing"

- SpongeBob Socrates
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2014 at 09:53
we need to get the folkies out in force to close the gap, even if the final outcome is clearly not in doubt
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>