Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe 12 Dreams of Dr. Sardonicus: Spirit

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: The 12 Dreams of Dr. Sardonicus: Spirit
    Posted: December 03 2014 at 18:29
Considered to be Spirit's best album, what your take on the good doctor?

Edited by SteveG - December 04 2014 at 14:44
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2014 at 19:14
Spirit were one of THE great bands, and Sardonicus was their big statement. It should have been huge, like DSOTM huge. But it wasn't and now it's a trivia question. You never can tell. They were never quite the same (or even close) after the original band broke up following the commercial disappointment of Sardonicus.

Seriously, for 1970, it was seriously advanced stuff. All 4 of those 1968-70 albums are some of the most original music out there.

Edited by HolyMoly - December 03 2014 at 19:15
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
bhikkhu View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2014 at 19:59
This is one that mystifies me. There are a coupe of tunes I like but one the whole it pretty much bores me. Yet it is a critics darling. I don't get it.
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2014 at 20:57
The first 4 albums are their best and 12 Dreams is their grand finale just as Abbey Road was for The Beatles. I loved Randy California's guitar playing. I remember he replaced Ritchie Blackmore in Deep Purple for 1 night.....one performance. The first time I heard him play was on a track titled "Mechanical World". West coast bands like Quicksilver Messenger Service, Jefferson Airplane seemed to have a distinctive trademark of sound to easily identify. Spirit were from L.A., (I believe), and sounded different from most bands on that scene. I recall hearing the tragic news report about Randy California and his son..both drowning and I was stunned/speechless. Spirit had a particular song I like about a canyon burning. It's been 25 years since I've heard it, but it struck me as a strange song. Half Psychedelic Rock and half of whatever else. It reminded me of Hendrix during his last days when he wrote songs like "In From The Storm". It was strange. 
AreYouHuman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2014 at 22:35
Originally posted by bhikkhu bhikkhu wrote:

This is one that mystifies me. There are a coupe of tunes I like but one the whole it pretty much bores me. Yet it is a critics darling. I don't get it.
Question
Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

Seriously, for 1970, it was seriously advanced stuff. All 4 of those 1968-70 albums are some of the most original music out there.
SO this!! Hug

Caption: We tend to take ourselves a little too seriously.

Silly human race! Yes is for everybody!
Moogtron III View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2014 at 02:43
I really like it.
Haven't listened much to it in the last 20 years, though.
I have listened, though, to many of the band's albums, including some solo stuff, and I think this one features the best music.

Edited by Moogtron III - December 04 2014 at 02:44
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2014 at 05:02
Sardonicus is also my fav from the band, I always thought that there was something special in that band. Randy California was such a great guitar player,he had that simplicity in his playing and a little something from Hendrix too. 
Lately I've been digging the hell out of Spirit of 76' album, a lot of great stuff in this one.
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2014 at 05:23
Ah, the solo of synth of Space Child !

Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2014 at 06:31
Love this album.....although it's been a good while since I last spun it. May have to rectify that soon.
Agree with most of what's been said - especially Steve's comment on how the band almost imploded after Sardonicus. That's not to say that they didn't release any good music afterwards because they did. It' just wasn't the same.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2014 at 08:43
Excellent and very original album.....one of my favorites from that time period. The earlier Spirit albums are also very good. A unique sounding band with an interesting mix of styles. They should have been as big as The Doors and Jefferson Airplane imo but for some reason never achieved that level. Perhaps they were a bit too esoteric.

On an old thread here I picked that album as my favorite proto prog album from those days.

Edited by dr wu23 - December 04 2014 at 08:45
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2014 at 10:39
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Love this album.....although it's been a good while since I last spun it. May have to rectify that soon.
Agree with most of what's been said - especially Steve's comment on how the band almost imploded after Sardonicus. That's not to say that they didn't release any good music afterwards because they did. It' just wasn't the same.

Seems like many of us haven't heard this one in a while, this purports to be the entire LP.  Randy California was a great guitarist, pity he died so tragically. 

HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2014 at 10:48
As great as Randy California was, I think the unsung hero of the band was Jay Ferguson, who at this point was still the primary singer and songwriter for the group (though for this album it was almost 50/50).  Randy has a talent for beautiful guitar playing and mystical songs, but Jay provided the meat of their albums.  This album in particular has some really great and tough tunes like Animal Zoo, Mr. Skin, and When I Touch You. 

This foreshadowed the next direction Ferguson would take after leaving the band, forming (with Spirit bassist Mark Andes) a new group called Jo Jo Gunne that played really great piano-driven rock and roll, not unlike the Guess Who.  Jo Jo Gunne's third album (Jumpin' the Gunne) is a huge favorite of mine - I enjoy it as much as any Spirit album.

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2014 at 10:53
A couple of my favorite tracks from "Jumpin' the Gunne" by Jo Jo Gunne - with Jay Ferguson on piano and lead vocals, Matt Andes (Mark's brother) on lead guitar, Jimmie Randall on bass, and Curly Smith on drums.

First, a lean hard rocker

Next, something more textured and subtle:

-Kehlog Albran
Walton Street View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2014 at 11:08

As great as Randy California was, I think the unsung hero of the band was Jay Ferguson,

I had to google that name - because it rang a bell ..

he did Thunder Island :)
"I know one thing: that I know nothing"

- SpongeBob Socrates
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2014 at 11:25
Originally posted by Walton Street Walton Street wrote:

As great as Randy California was, I think the unsung hero of the band was Jay Ferguson,

I had to google that name - because it rang a bell ..

he did Thunder Island :)
he also composed the theme music for "The Office" (US), I believe :)
He's a badass.

-Kehlog Albran
bhikkhu View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2014 at 11:30
Originally posted by AreYouHuman AreYouHuman wrote:

Originally posted by bhikkhu bhikkhu wrote:

Question

Don't know what to tell you. I file this in the category of things that everyone else loves but for some reason is lost on me.

TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2014 at 12:20

As great as Randy California was, I think the unsung hero of the band was Jay Ferguson, who at this point was still the primary singer and songwriter for the group (though for this album it was almost 50/50).  Randy has a talent for beautiful guitar playing and mystical songs, but Jay provided the meat of their albums.  This album in particular has some really great and tough tunes like Animal Zoo, Mr. Skin, and When I Touch You. 

This foreshadowed the next direction Ferguson would take after leaving the band, forming (with Spirit bassist Mark Andes) a new group called Jo Jo Gunne that played really great piano-driven rock and roll, not unlike the Guess Who.  Jo Jo Gunne's third album (Jumpin' the Gunne) is a huge favorite of mine - I enjoy it as much as any Spirit album.

I saw Brownsville Station, Jo Jo Gunne, and Slade in 1974 at the Spectrum in Philadelphia P.A. The concert was so flippin' awful that I wanted to dive off the balcony. All except for Jo Jo Gunne who played well and were very tight as a unit. They were tight until the power was purposely shut off by a crew member that worked for Slade. After about 3 minutes, the power came back on and the band began to play some of their earlier material. All of a sudden..there was abundance of feedback through the P.A. and solos were being taken out of the mix. Jay Ferguson grabbed the mic and said..."This is very unprofessional what you people are doing and if you don't stop, were gonna walk!" "We are a professional band!" They continued with their set and after about the 3rd song into that set, the feedback and loss of moniters began again. Jay Ferguson told the band to stop playing. He said...."Why are you people not listening to me?" "I told you we were going to walk" "Okay, that's it, we are leaving" This was my first introduction to the politics in the music business. 
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2014 at 12:29
...as soon as I started playing the link to the album, I started to grin like a cheshire cat!!  This is a GREAT album!  We used to play the sh*t out of it in the dorm, along with Traffic's "Low Spark," Pink Floyd's "Meddle" and a bunch of other ones.  

I love Randy's use of slide guitar with heavy tape delay, that was something Larry "Rhino" Rheinhardt did in Captain Beyond!  RIP to Randy and Rhino!  

Great comment about Jay Ferguson as well!  This was a very good band, pity they didn't get the kudos they deserved!  
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2014 at 12:48
Spirit could truly develop a "dark" sound within their music. It depended on the piece/song or jam. When they jammed , it was in a free-form Jazz style, but yet there was something about the jam that could remind you of Rock music. They were extremely crafty in that way. Some songs were acoustic guitar oriented with strange ambient keyboard backings. Spooky Tooth had this particular approach to R&B that was haunting. You would suddenly hear a waterfall of notes played on a piano with a delay effect over top and it would leave you with the impression that they were progressive. Spirit were progressive 100 percent of the time in the method contained in their unit to approach composition in general with diversity. Sometimes they had an orchestra in the studio or they would write a song that was completely 'haunting" in every sense of the word. "Mechanical World" is very haunting. The way the band went about writing it is haunting. 

Some of their music branches out into the Psychedelic Rock style of the 60's, but the many songs they wrote which crossed more into Progressive Rock territory is telling. Randy California was really respected by musicians of the 60's and I remember hearing them praise him. I was probably around the age of 12 when I first heard musicians talking about him. I grew up around musicians as a child and was introduced to the music of Spirit through relatives. "Joy to the world, the relatives have gone home". Seriously, he DID have a huge following for his guitar playing and the band Spirit were thought to be the avant-garde Rock band for the Psychedelic age in the U.S. in the same way that Pink Floyd became that when they toured the U.S. with Syd Barrett. Spirit were a bit more like British Psychedelic than most American Psychedelic bands. That is why they were so unique DURING that time period. 
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2014 at 13:21
Originally posted by TODDLER TODDLER wrote:

I saw Brownsville Station, Jo Jo Gunne, and Slade in 1974 at the Spectrum in Philadelphia P.A. The concert was so flippin' awful that I wanted to dive off the balcony. All except for Jo Jo Gunne who played well and were very tight as a unit. They were tight until the power was purposely shut off by a crew member that worked for Slade. After about 3 minutes, the power came back on and the band began to play some of their earlier material. All of a sudden..there was abundance of feedback through the P.A. and solos were being taken out of the mix. Jay Ferguson grabbed the mic and said..."This is very unprofessional what you people are doing and if you don't stop, were gonna walk!" "We are a professional band!" They continued with their set and after about the 3rd song into that set, the feedback and loss of moniters began again. Jay Ferguson told the band to stop playing. He said...."Why are you people not listening to me?" "I told you we were going to walk" "Okay, that's it, we are leaving" This was my first introduction to the politics in the music business. 
Man, that sucks... It's one thing to be booed by the audience, but when the venue itself turns against you... that just shouldn't happen.

-Kehlog Albran
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>