Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHow have you introduced people to Prog?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2014 at 17:29
I don't....Prog is a music genre that you progress to from psych rock or classic rock, where bands like PF and Yes can be considered. You have to want to explore new music and the general public is not interested in looking for new on their own.
Plus you would have to introduce them to such old music from the 70's which is very difficult since these bands are now old codgers with long stringy hair and never smile, and new prog does not sound like prog.
CPicard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2014 at 17:14
So, if I understand you, to make people like some genre of music:
1) breed them;
2) indoctrinate them;
3) yell at young people only listening to rap and pop, like any old geezer would do, just like parents did in the 50's when Rock'n'Roll appeared;
4) SUCCESS!
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2014 at 16:52

Hi

(Funny note about the above!)

I wrote this before, since my dad knew his classical music really well. So I brought him for his birthday Tomita ... Snowflakes are Dancing ... and he heard two pieces and said "... how very cute ... " and walked back to his office. So I went up to him, with my mom there and called him a snob! i said you sit here and think Wendy Carlos is good, and then you hear something different and similar and you don't think it's good. It's a very faithful rendition of Debussy, for the record. ... and I left.

A week later, my mom said he listened to the album twice that night, and that he finally admitted to mom that it was very pretty and very nice. That it added to Debussy a touch of fantasy, that otherwise, most classical music tends to hide!

Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2014 at 16:42

Hi,

There is another funny way to do it.

In our house, my dad was a music fanatic and on any given day, you come home, and something is playing blasting in the living room ... and of course, some things end up sticking with you ... I mean, when you hear Renata Tebaldi show up Birgit Nilsson and then have it out with Mario del Monaco, or when you hear Maria Callas belt her way through Carmen, and then you turn around and hear Boris Christoff do Boris Godunov ... and then I heard Gigli's Tosca ... what a treat ... a lot of rock music sounds really vain and stupid all of a sudden, not to mention sophomoric and childish, and with very little talent to be able to play it.

By the time I heard a lot of rock music, it did not exactly inspire me, except the folks that had the emotion to shake your knees and your heart, and they were Jimi, Janis and Jim, for example ... you would never forget that strength and those feelings.

So, your kid might hear it and one day go ... who was that dad? ... and you know you got their ear.

Today, is different. 40 years ago, we did not have the conglomeration of music that all kids had today ... you did not even have a little radio that burned up a battery in one evening, to hear a station far away ... that sounded horrible playing "Whole Lotta Love" and "Light My Fire" ... you could barely make out "Me and Bobby McGee".

Kids today are so ingrained in the pop music and top ten, that hearing something different is going to be harder, I think ... I'm not sure that these youngsters, playing rap full blast in their ears from the iPod's will develop any appreciation for classical music, or any other kind of music in their lifetimes ... they are a product of their "generation" and this is all they know and learn, and there might not be enough time in their life to realize how much else they missed!

I just hope/try to help people see there is more ... regardless of what it is. There is a world out there ... go see it and visit it!!!!!

Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
TheGazzardian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2014 at 13:00
When I first got into prog I tried to 'introduce' people to it, but of course my goal was not to enhance their listening pleasure, but to show them how much better what I listened to was so that they would realise how flawed their music taste was and listen to prog instead and we could talk about Genesis and Yes and Beardfish and Moon Safari and all the other bands.

Just joking. But I think it's a common thing to try and get someone into progressive rock instead of just thinking they'll like something. Like if I show a friend a band, I then have to go into the history of that band, point them down the road of a dozen other they might like, list the bands they should listen to and their historical context, spend a few hundred hours getting to know them and understand why they are just so much better than everything else out there.

That's crazy. I show people songs or bands sometimes if I think they'll like it, and the fact that it's prog doesn't have to come into the mix, nor does them liking it having to lead to me overriding their musical taste. I showed a friend Secret Chiefs 3, he liked them so I told him my favorite album, he listened to it, liked it. We ended up seeing them live together and he enjoyed it, he's done some further digging. But he hasn't listened to any other avant bands or prog bands because of it, hasn't even dug into Mr. Bungle, and that's fine. If you just show people music and they can like it for what it is or not, rather than their being some ego of "this is what is right to listen to and better than the crap you've been brainwashed to like, and if you like this let me introduce you to two hundred other things that are also better than everything you listen to", people are more receptive.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2014 at 12:59
Originally posted by presdoug presdoug wrote:

I introduced progressive rock quite a while ago to my best friend of almost 25 years. He finds my Italian prog especiallly appealing and likes Le Orme and Banco very much. It has to be real prog to satisfy him, no Prog related will do it for him.
               I basically told him a bit about it, and then we would listen to it together, and I mean really listen, without dialogue. We have done this over and over for many years.
                     He is a bit of a special case, as he did not grow up with any popular culture-no television in the home, and had not any exposure to any rock music of any sort before I met him. His musical tastes were towards classical music and traditional Celtic.
                  Some of my prog he finds "bizarre" and unaccessible, like Terje Rypdal or some Nektar.
                I am now a Facilitator, and with my first class, brought some prog in at the last session. (Wallenstein's No More Love) One student grew up on 70s prog, but doesn't listen anymore. He had never heard of Wallenstein. Another younger student asked me if Rush were prog, and I said yes.
                     My fellow co-facilitator found the Wallenstein interesting.

Great post Doug. I have an old friend that I too got lured into prog by way of RPI. I remember playing Capitolo 6's Frutti per Kagua to him, and after that he was absolutely soldBig smile Great track! 
Since then he's ventured into all the classic bands and has developed a similar taste for Krautrock as myself, although not quite as strange yet (he'll get there though, if I get to have my way!).
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2014 at 12:55
Through the speakers in my penis
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
CPicard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2014 at 12:45
The sole person I've ever introduced some music to is one of my little sisters: I've given her a CD-R of the Cardiacs (a compilation of the mp3 availables on their website) and a compilation of Uz Jsme Doma.
Then, when she asked me for some music to listen at work, I've provided her the links to the websites of bands close to the progressive music genre.

But, otherwise, I don't even try to talk of music - even with musicians: jazz musicians or pop musicians, avant-garde musicians or punk musicians... All of them stick to what they already know.
TheRollingOrange View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2014 at 12:28
I don't. I mostly talk about it and they may ask me to play some songs, but i won't say to them "listen to this or that". I mostly talk about Genesis though, and most of them have liked it when I've shown them some songs.
Gully Foyle View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2014 at 11:50
i like to drop the craziest thing on hand on them totally unsuspecting....

the other day, after learning our town planner was a guitarist of some kind (my initial guess is jimmy buffet superfan, i still don't really know), i gave him Magma Live in London 1974, with no info at all, just to see his reaction.  it seemed to run as follows: confusion, persistence, acceptance, awe, but no idea if he like it or not

i like people to come on things unaware...like i would want to experience them
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2014 at 11:32
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

^Interesting post PD. Thanks for sharing that. 
You're most welcome.Thumbs Up
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2014 at 11:25
^Interesting post PD. Thanks for sharing that. 
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2014 at 11:19
I introduced progressive rock quite a while ago to my best friend of almost 25 years. He finds my Italian prog especiallly appealing and likes Le Orme and Banco very much. It has to be real prog to satisfy him, no Prog related will do it for him.
               I basically told him a bit about it, and then we would listen to it together, and I mean really listen, without dialogue. We have done this over and over for many years.
                     He is a bit of a special case, as he did not grow up with any popular culture-no television in the home, and had not any exposure to any rock music of any sort before I met him. His musical tastes were towards classical music and traditional Celtic.
                  Some of my prog he finds "bizarre" and unaccessible, like Terje Rypdal or some Nektar.
                I am now a Facilitator, and with my first class, brought some prog in at the last session. (Wallenstein's No More Love) One student grew up on 70s prog, but doesn't listen anymore. He had never heard of Wallenstein. Another younger student asked me if Rush were prog, and I said yes.
                     My fellow co-facilitator found the Wallenstein interesting.
Argonaught View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2014 at 10:28
Originally posted by Manuel Manuel wrote:

I normally play a nice short song to them, what prog fans call "Fillers"; songs that people can relate to, or some of the popular ones from the old times, like "Living in the Past", or "From The Beginning". That gets them interested and sometimes willing to liosten to the whole album.

Isn't this how they get people hooked on unlicensed pharmaceuticals? 
floflo79 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2014 at 09:56
I went to the school last year while singing Close To The Edge. My friend asked me "What are you singing ?" and I replied "Close To The Edge by Yes. Awesome progressive rock !" "What is progressive rock ?" And so, I explain the style and make him discover Yes, Jethro Tull, King Crimson, Pink Floyd and Genesis. It was a good shock for him. Yesterday, he bought the Live At Bicentennial of Gentle Giant. He became a prog addict like me.
bloodnarfer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2014 at 09:53
for the older folks, even those that enjoy some yes and Kansas (like my dad) it is difficult to introduce them to anything else. By that age they have mostly decided on what kind of music they like and won't stray too far out of that vein. I have had a bit of success with my dad though. He seems to dig Red and In the Court now, even a bit of beardfish. But then again I owe my musical taste to my parents. :)

For the younguns, most of of prog is too far removed from what they have been told to like. Even those who don't rely on the charts are too concerned with the indie hits of this year to open an ear to a good song from 10 (let alone 40) years ago. Not much luck on this front, I've only been able to get my bro and gf into the Dear Hunter and that's about it.
Michael678 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2014 at 09:24
i only talk about prog music when it's the right time to do so. i'm mainly speaking of this while at the school i am going to when music tastes and history, etc. etc. are being discussed on. I feel like i'm the most "weird" of this bunch because, well, here i am on this site talking about PROG, which no one at my school even knows of....exactly. HOWEVER, just recently i found one of the faculty in the school that found me wearing the Yes t-shirt i got from the concert i went to back in July and told me they're one of his favorite bands ever. THANK GOD I'M NOT ALONE IN THIS SCHOOL ANYMORE!!!!! well, then there's King Crimson and early Genesis and what not (f**k!!) *grunts*, one of these days....Disapprove
Progrockdude
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2014 at 09:10
I tend not to bother thse days, but in the past juxtaposing Radiohead, Muse, Elbow et al alongside some Porcupine Tree, Genesis & Floyd in an ITunes playlist used to get a fairly positive response.

I wouldn't refer to te prog stuff as 'prog rock' It seems to be an automatic turn off label.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
bhikkhu View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2014 at 08:03
Originally posted by Argonaught Argonaught wrote:

Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Originally posted by octopus-4 octopus-4 wrote:

Camel - Mirage and something good to smoke
What, a Marlboro ??
Trout

LOLClap
Flight123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2014 at 07:59
Yes, it should never be imposed.  My aversion to Rush is a result of that as a 15 year old.  I tried to fight back by telling my mates that Rush lifted parts of the middle instrumental section of 'Living in the Heart of the Beast' by Henry Cow for 2112 (recorded in 1975 before Rush fans start jumping up and down).
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>