Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDoes Miles Davis belong in Prog?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1516171819>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 1.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2015 at 12:24
Originally posted by Lear'sFool Lear'sFool wrote:

Perhaps it is McLaughlin who was always the single biggest innovator of the whole style.
Hardly. When McLaughlin joined in on the In A Silent Way-sessions in 1969 Miles had been playing jazz rock on Miles in the Sky, Filles De Kilimanjaro and on other 1967/68-sessions released later such on Circle in the Round and Water Babies. 

John got schooled on these sessions like the rest of the sidemen/contributors and Inner Mountain Flame and Birds of Fire wouldn't exist if it wasn't for Miles
LearsFool View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2015 at 12:41
^ Just remember McLaughlin's lineage: Blue Flames, Organisation, then Lifetime and the sessions for In A Silent Way and Bitches Brew. McLaughlin was in Blue Flames from '62 to '63, and then in Organisation up to '67, when Miles began his work on the subject. And right before working with Williams and Miles, he cut a solo debut, Extrapolation, pivotal to the fast developing style.

He himself was clearly bringing something to Williams's and Miles's tables, or else Miles wouldn't have called upon him! Williams brought McLaughlin to Miles, Miles was impressed by his playing and his discography, boom, guess who's number two for the next two Miles albums. Miles knew how to see and use the good talent of other musicians.

Miles is in fact the other massive innovator of the style; I always bring up Williams for his rightful place, but his influence pales. With Bitches Brew Miles pivotally used a more rock-esque rhythm section, his single biggest contribution. But Miles would not have been able to make Bitches Brew so meteoric without McLaughlin, whereas John could've ignored Williams and Miles and still ended up with Mahavishnu, if not in the exact same form perhaps. McLaughlin didn't need schooling, and Miles didn't give any to him.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2015 at 12:54

Here's something pertinent about proto-fusion: Georgie Fame and his Blue Flames, and Bruce and Baker's Graham Bond Organisation were the root of the style.

Their shared guitarist?

John McLaughlin.

He would take his ever jazzy yet ever rockin' - and blues rockin', at that - guitar to both Miles's late '60's band, and to Tony Williams's Lifetime, two of the biggest early innovators.

Perhaps it is McLaughlin who was always the single biggest innovator of the whole style.

Clapwell said brother.

I had wondered if someone was going to slam my alley oop. I had a feeling you might, I seem to remember you mention Tony Williams and being familiar with Emergency.

Mile Davis did not wake up one morning and go... ohhh..  I need to create Jazz-Rock/Fusion. He was not the innovator... he was the validator of it.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
LearsFool View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2015 at 13:04
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

Here's something pertinent about proto-fusion: Georgie Fame and his Blue Flames, and Bruce and Baker's Graham Bond Organisation were the root of the style.

Their shared guitarist?

John McLaughlin.

He would take his ever jazzy yet ever rockin' - and blues rockin', at that - guitar to both Miles's late '60's band, and to Tony Williams's Lifetime, two of the biggest early innovators.

Clapwell said brother.

I had wondered if someone was going to slam my alley oop. I had a feeling you might, I seem to remember you mention Tony Williams and being familiar with Emergency.

Mile Davis did not wake up one morning and go... ohhh..  I need to create Jazz-Rock/Fusion. He was not the innovator... he was the validator of it.

I'd have to say that Miles was an innovator, mainly with, as I said right above your post, finally bringing a truly rock-esque rhythm section to a jazz album, but of course that's an among several other greats, and like any of the other all time great innovators anywhere in music, he got it from somewhere else and then built on it spectacularly. And certainly he validated it amongst the adventurous in jazz.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2015 at 13:15

Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

Their shared guitarist?

John McLaughlin.

Clapwell said brother.

I'd have to say that Miles was an innovator, mainly with, as I said right above your post, finally bringing a truly rock-esque rhythm section to a jazz album, but of course that's an among several other greats, and like any of the other all time great innovators anywhere in music, he got it from somewhere else and then built on it spectacularly. And certainly he validated it amongst the adventurous in jazz.

yeah I see it now. I'd definitely agree with that. I do think the notion of the validation of it is of far more importance than the innovation of it. Christ it isn't exactly like you were marrying cats and dogs.. or.. ummm classical music and rock. That took balls and some notion of real innovation. 

Jazz is a slippery reflection of the blues and not far removed from Rock. Probably why there really is no set or true innovator.. I still throw my opinion towards the English.. they were the ones really exploring what you can do with music during those heady days of the 60's but the thing is.. it really doesn't matter if you get down to it. What really is?

Validation of it.  That is only something an artist of Miles Davis's stature could do.  Far more kudos deserve to go out for doing that IMO.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2015 at 13:42
Now Tony Williams now he was a true innovator. Even compared to Miles. 

McLaughlin didn't need schooling? I'm sorry. It's far too time-consuming for me trying to write in english. 

Here's from an interview:

I’m sure he (Miles) knew we had no idea what to do, but he would put us in the state of mind that we would play something other than what we knew. We had to, by necessity, move out of the box, and do something we didn’t know we could do. And this was masterful, in my opinion–how he was able to do this with his musicians. 
LearsFool View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2015 at 13:51
^ Sounds like Fripp working with his fellow musicians. But here's the thing: did, say, Bruford really need that, or was it just Fripp bending his talent to make new music?

McLaughlin sure proved himself a few times over before Williams introduced him to Miles, like Bruford's work on Yes's first great trilogy. Miles, then, was just giving a skilled musician a new direction. Very important, but Exposure proved that he didn't need anything else.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2015 at 13:56
Jazz is experimental from the first note played!

In was only logical that someone would push boundaries into a rock fusion.

The progressive Mr. Davis was ahead of the curve.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2015 at 14:06

^ Sounds like Fripp working with his fellow musicians. But here's the thing: did, say, Bruford really need that, or was it just Fripp bending his talent to make new music?

McLaughlin sure proved himself a few times over before Williams introduced him to Miles, like Bruford's work on Yes's first great trilogy. Miles, then, was just giving a skilled musician a new direction. Very important, but Exposure proved that he didn't need anything else.
he proved himself to be a skilled and talented musician, yes. Just like Bruford is. None of them were visionaries or innovators in the way Robert Fripp or Miles Davis were. Especially not at that point his career. Extrapolition can't compare to Bitches Brew or In A Silent Way. Do you actually think it can?
LearsFool View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2015 at 14:15
^ There is a point in your comparison.

Just think of it this way, though: McLaughlin innovated by laying the groundwork for the genre, and always, always, being the hardest rocking musician in jazz.

Miles innovated by taking rock's rhythm mores and bringing them to jazz.

So both innovated in different ways and times, though, crucially for my point, the former helped the latter do his part, plus Williams even. My point comes down to McLaughlin being one of the very first, and one of the most prolific.

And one last thing about the Brew: the spacey elements had been done before in jazz by Sun Ra; Miles just built on that by bringing rock back into that equation.

Edited by Lear'sFool - January 06 2015 at 14:15
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2015 at 14:35
^Well I know those Sun Ra albums very well and first of all I don't really see the connection between Miles use of space (in the late 60's) and Sun Ra's far out early to mid 60's albums. Second: most of Sun Ra's albums were mostly self-released in about 500 copies each so very few had actually heard them (Gong was one of the few) and his spacious albums were too free, avant garde and abstract to have an impact in a broader scale. You'll find spacy elements in early sixties jazz by Grachan Moncur III solo albums (and all his compositions for others), Cecil Taylor, on (An)t(h)ony Williams debut and even Chico Hamilton with Gabor Szabo if that was what it was about. Miles was a superstar compared to all of these. Sold albums all over the world, won grammies and was an innovator that influenced more musicians than the amount of records Sun Ra had sold in total up to that point.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2015 at 14:38

^ There is a point in your comparison.

Just think of it this way, though: McLaughlin innovated by laying the groundwork for the genre, and always, always, being the hardest rocking musician in jazz.
That would be Sonny Sharrock. 
LearsFool View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2015 at 14:48
To Saper:

(On Sonny): Ah, noted. Haven't got around to listening to free jazz yet, but what I've just read about the man would certainly put him head to head with McLaughlin for the top spot on a rock scale. You're probably right there.

(On Sun Ra): Hmmm. I get the feeling that Miles would in fact have gotten the space elements from somewhere, and by your reasoning it may have actually been Williams - he knew him, which was how he ended up meeting McLaughlin. The question, though, probably will never be definitively answered.

Edited by Lear'sFool - January 06 2015 at 14:48
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2015 at 14:55
^ I believe the Spambot is implying that drugs were Miles Davis' entry into fusion. Which makes sense, given the time period.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2015 at 14:55

To Saper:

(On Sonny): Ah, noted. Haven't got around to listening to free jazz yet, but what I've just read about the man would certainly put him head to head with McLaughlin for the top spot on a rock scale. You're probably right there.

(On Sun Ra): Hmmm. I get the feeling that Miles would in fact have gotten the space elements from somewhere, and by your reasoning it may have actually been Williams - he knew him, which was how he ended up meeting McLaughlin. The question, though, probably will never be definitively answered.

Young Tony was a huge influence on Miles mid to late 60's. So was Xenakis, Ravel, Karlheinz Stockhausen. Its more likely that some of his his more abstract ideas came from these composers rather than other jazz artists. Read Milestones or the Autobiography or both.  
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2015 at 14:56
Originally posted by klintunderway klintunderway wrote:

Actavis syrup, kwush n pillz...(ketamn, onax, rivo zanax,oc, roxi, zomorph,oramorph,oxys oxynorms)……..
many others not listed hear. text..(8033104220) ([email protected])
get to loos more weight in a very short period of time or add weight. Good pills
available to give you the exact shape you need. Others available to give
you a good body build up. All available in storck. Just give your order
and you will get a good prescription and the drugs immediately text...(8033104220)

first step to spamming

make it appear you know what you are talking about...
LearsFool View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2015 at 14:58
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

To Saper:

Young Tony was a huge influence on Miles mid to late 60's. So was Xenakis, Ravel, Karlheinz Stockhausen. Its more likely that some of his his more abstract ideas came from these composers rather than other jazz artists. Read Milestones or the Autobiography or both.  

Got it. The whole early fusion puzzle is coming together.
zravkapt View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2015 at 00:46
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

^ I believe the Spambot is implying that drugs were Miles Davis' entry into fusion. Which makes sense, given the time period.

Miles was a heroin addict when most classic rockers were still in diapers.
Magma America Great Make Again
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2015 at 20:51
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

Are we able to agree on that and put this to bed?
You can re-read your post and notice that you were far from clear enough if what you meant to write is what you wrote in this post. I can easier agree with this although you underestimate the impact Miles had. 

I think you need to know a lot about the music you have strong opinions about on PA if you want people to agree with you "and put this to bed". 

Awww I love Lazland too much, Saperlipopette (lol I love your name it could be a new Smurf name, maybe Smurfette's partner Big smile hihi), Lazland doesn't particularly enjoy jazz this is acceptable ofcourse as all our tastes differ. This is a good thing too. But one fact is tru,e Miles Davis only played Jazz, he infused his music with other genres but always played Jazz not rock or anything else.
What you said is true too, he was an innovator no jazz artist has done what he did, he was fascinated by guitars and keyboards.
One thing alone that stands out in terms of music sound quality too as being progressive, was that his Album Bitches Brew was also released in 1973 as Quadraphonic (surround sound way before Dolby digital) and at the time the only two albums (I know) released in Quadraphonic were Dark Side of The Moon by Pink Floyd and Santana's Abraxas.
A massive hug to you, Hug   

Edited by Kati - January 07 2015 at 20:51
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2015 at 20:57
What distinguishes Miles Davis from other Jazz artists at the time is that Miles threw away the acoustic instruments for electronic ones. Electric bass, Fender electric pianos, guitars, and organs to name a few.WinkHug
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1516171819>