Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDoes Miles Davis belong in Prog?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 19>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 1.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2014 at 08:43
Originally posted by rdtprog rdtprog wrote:

I don't know understand the Rock in Miles Davis's music, to me it's Jazz. Don't belong here.

Listen to mid 70s works like Agharta, Pangaea, Dark Magus....you'll find virtually no jazz there.  Certainly Bitches Brew has a strong rock component as well. Ya know...jazz-rock!
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2014 at 08:49
Originally posted by Argonaught Argonaught wrote:

Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

He recorded this 33 minute long Jazzrock-masterpiece in 1967! 

Or maybe just jazz so avant-garde, broad-minded and complex that one can find in it (or imagine into it) references to a couple of dozen genres and styles?
What? No. Circle in the Round is mainly jazz and psychedelic rock fused together.
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2014 at 09:29
Originally posted by ghost_of_morphy ghost_of_morphy wrote:

Originally posted by TODDLER TODDLER wrote:

The real connection to Miles Davis and Progressive Rock began when Miles hired very young musicians Herbie Hancock, John McLaughlin, Billy Cobham, and Tony Williams later worked with Alan Holdsworth in Tony Williams Lifetime and Holdsworth had worked in Progressive Rock bands. All of these musicians went on to forming Jazz Fusion bands like Weather Report, Mahavishnu Orchestra, Return To Forever, and loads of solo efforts of their own.

LOL. So let me get this straight... are you saying that Miles's prog credentials are almost as legit as those of Phil Collins?????

LOL......Miles Davis influence is extremely distant from a percentage of Progressive Rock in the world. Pulsar, Omega were like Pink Floyd where they approached music like theater. "European Rock opera" mentality more often dismisses large doses of Jazz. With the exception of 10CC who were a bit 1920's or "Big Band era" and a few others, you wouldn't hear any emulation/reflection of ANY particular sound existing in the Avant-Garde Jazz style of Miles. Basic evidence of any influence from Miles Davis to Prog was usually found in the 70's Fusion bands, but it was easy to pick up on the fact that Phil Collins was attempting Tony Williams style in some of the Genesis songs. Ian Mosley, Bill Bruford, Pip Pyle, and Curt Cress all displayed that idea to be more "Avant-Garde on the drums and with Miles Davis...he had this going on musically with a long list of drummers a decade before Progressive Rock existed. Let's say for example that the aforementioned drummers had no interest in Miles Davis....but it wouldn't matter in the real world if they didn't..because the ideas Miles Davis left behind were tools to work with for creating styles of new music in the 70's, ...and most musicians unknowingly  borrowed his ideas to create. 

I believe Miles Davis created these premature ideas and concepts for music that slowly entered into what became other genres. The intro of " A Passion Play" has a heartbeat or a kind of thump ..surrounding by distant swirly sounding keyboard effects. They still sound distant like an atmospheric hypnotic calling by the time the heartbeat has grown louder and then...the haunting melody of "A Passion Play" is now being played on the sax. I heard Miles Davis creating this kind of soundscape in the 60's...where his trumpet has an echo or 3 second delay over top of a bass sustaining note and swirling distant sounding keyboards. Miles Davis formed/shaped ideas for future generations of musicians. All the strange open chord voicings used by John McLaughlin in Mahavishnu Orchestra were used in the music of Miles Davis first and then later ...many of those chord voicings were written all over the music of Happy The Man, Brand X, Bruford, Gong (with Steve Hillage), Steve Hillage, Hatfield and the North, Univers Zero, King Crimson, National Health and many others. Miles Davis had contributed a style to playing over these oddball chord voicings and I've heard it repeated like a reflection by many of the 70's sax and horn players who worked with established Progressive Rock bands. Miles Davis created ideas and their foundation which was naturally adapted to Progressive Rock music. 
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2014 at 10:19
Hi,

I simply think that as long as we keep thinking of all this as "genre's" and not music, that we will never agree on anything. If you see music in a different perspective, with everything helping and influencing everything, then Miles is a huge GIANT in the 20th century music ... but getting these folks to even see the Tom Dowd DVD, so they can learn something about American music history ... is like talking to one of Nurse Ratchet's patients! They all know everything and they all know nothing ... and gotta have more dope!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
TradeMark0 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2014 at 10:28
Wow, I never realized Miles Davis was that important to the development of prog.
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2014 at 10:55
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

I simply think that as long as we keep thinking of all this as "genre's" and not music, that we will never agree on anything. If you see music in a different perspective, with everything helping and influencing everything, then Miles is a huge GIANT in the 20th century music ... but getting these folks to even see the Tom Dowd DVD, so they can learn something about American music history ... is like talking to one of Nurse Ratchet's patients! They all know everything and they all know nothing ... and gotta have more dope!

It should be categorized so maybe people can make "quick reference" during a conversation..otherwise it will make no sense to them as how the conversation in general..can be categorized. Everything has to be categorized for history reference. The obvious side to revealing a mistake when applying this basis of communication is the evidence that Popol Vuh are truly not what most people define Progressive Rock to be. Popol Vuh is not necessarily "piegon holed" by the law of nature and that confuses people with a misunderstanding on how to place their music along side a term. There's still a large number of Rock journalists who are "buggers" and go for the sensationalized drama of an artist's story more than the details of how influential they are. We have Eric Clapton with his public historical details,...such as he originated during the British Blues Boom era with The Yardbirds..then moving into Cream and the mention of how influential they were and then his solo career. Then when we get back to the real world and wake the hell up, we realize that there were loads of bands from the British Blues Boom era that were so incredibly innovative to music and they have zero media coverage on Blues documentaries and zero radio airplay..short of the after hours radio programs which play real music, these bands do not get credit. 

So...placing a term on a style of music bothers me when it's for a ulterior motive. Ultimately...it seems vital to place a style of music into a category and invent a name for it. In the world of a musician it is not. The terms exist, but are not given much attention when music, is simply music. When music is placed in front of you in the orchestra pit, or maybe no manuscript at all and instead you're asked to create, everything becomes more about "sound" and notes flowing to make that "sound". That world is separate to live in. 
terramystic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2014 at 15:39

This sure is progressive. But does it rock?
OK. Maybe this kind of music could be seen as rock in the most avant form. But Kind of Blue in top prog rock albums? Are you kidding?
brainstormer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2014 at 15:59
Maybe where some of you are confused is that jazz uses the same trap drum kit as rock.

Edited by brainstormer - December 11 2014 at 19:04
--
Robert Pearson
Regenerative Music http://www.regenerativemusic.net
Telical Books http://www.telicalbooks.com
ParaMind Brainstorming Software http://www.paramind.net

Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2014 at 17:47
Originally posted by TODDLER TODDLER wrote:

Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

It should be categorized so maybe people can make "quick reference" during a conversation..otherwise it will make no sense to them as how the conversation in general..can be categorized. Everything has to be categorized for history reference. The obvious side to revealing a mistake when applying this basis of communication is the evidence that Popol Vuh are truly not what most people define Progressive Rock to be. Popol Vuh is not necessarily "piegon holed" by the law of nature and that confuses people with a misunderstanding on how to place their music along side a term. There's still a large number of Rock journalists who are "buggers" and go for the sensationalized drama of an artist's story more than the details of how influential they are. We have Eric Clapton with his public historical details,...such as he originated during the British Blues Boom era with The Yardbirds..then moving into Cream and the mention of how influential they were and then his solo career. Then when we get back to the real world and wake the hell up, we realize that there were loads of bands from the British Blues Boom era that were so incredibly innovative to music and they have zero media coverage on Blues documentaries and zero radio airplay..short of the after hours radio programs which play real music, these bands do not get credit. 

So...placing a term on a style of music bothers me when it's for a ulterior motive. Ultimately...it seems vital to place a style of music into a category and invent a name for it. In the world of a musician it is not. The terms exist, but are not given much attention when music, is simply music. When music is placed in front of you in the orchestra pit, or maybe no manuscript at all and instead you're asked to create, everything becomes more about "sound" and notes flowing to make that "sound". That world is separate to live in. 

Two pertinent points here.  Categories serve a purpose but ultimately that purpose breaks down, like any metaphor or simile.  The categories are most useful for those new to the subject - it helps them understand what they are experiencing.  But for those of us who have been listening seriously to music for decades, those categories become more of a hindrance than a help.  I used to organize my music collection by category but had so many that crossed over from one to another I abandoned that method.  This is why Jeff Beck sits next to Beethoven on my shelf.  Why Motorhead precedes Mozart and Vai nestles with Vangelis.  Now it is all music.  And that relates to what Miles himself once said, "It's music and I like it."  He transcended existing categories and here we are arguing over what category he belongs in.  It is like saying Buddha was a fool because he did not understand Socratic principles.  Truth be told, Miles is his own category.  His roots are Jazz for sure, and he never abandoned them, but he changed what we regard as Jazz.  In this process he merged it with rock, and changed the nature of that as well.  If Jazz/Rock Fusion belongs on this site, if we regard RTF, Weather Report, etc. as both Jazz and Rock, then again Miles belongs on this site.
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
Argonaught View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2014 at 18:01
Originally posted by terramystic terramystic wrote:

But Kind of Blue in top prog rock albums? Are you kidding? 
Nope; he seriously believes that Big smile

Kind Of Blue is not even fusion; it's one of the first (partially) modal jazz albums. In that capacity, it's very progressive. Which makes it progressive music. Stop calling prog "progressive rock", and all these arguments will be settled for good.  
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2014 at 19:22
If Miles had only done albums like Kind Of Blue, which is one of those must have in your collection. Big smile

I think it is also of note that several of the musicians he has worked with have gone on to be part of the jazz-rock community.
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Argonaught View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2014 at 20:02
^ That's absolutely correct; off the top of my head Joe Zawinul, John McLaughlin, Chick Corea and Marcus Miller (to mention the fusion folks only). Which still doesn't make Kind Of Blue a fusion album Geek
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2014 at 20:40
God Miles Davis was at the forefront of prog a pioneer before even prog name was invented. Avant Garde alone means experimental new ideas! New concepts. Never been done before unlike prog which to date especially means within a certain scope! Album Bitches Brew, too many to mention but known names who collaborated on his album are Chick Correa and John McLaughlin among so many other greats! ApproveClap  
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2014 at 20:46
Originally posted by Kati Kati wrote:

God Miles Davis was at the forefront of prog a pioneer before even prog name was invented. Avant Garde alone means experimental new ideas! New concepts. Never been done before unlike prog which to date especially means within a certain scope! Album Bitches Brew, too many to mention but known names who collaborated on his album are Chick Correa and John McLaughlin among so many other greats! ApproveClap  
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2014 at 20:47
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2014 at 20:50
Clap I love him! HugHeartThumbs Up
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2014 at 20:52
Wow oh wow this post made me listen to what I love, I am heaven right now, all these prelililipupu's are a dream ApproveThumbs UpBig smileHug
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2014 at 21:48
Who said Miles Davis does not belong in prog?
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2014 at 00:21
Originally posted by Kati Kati wrote:

Wow oh wow this post made me listen to what I love, I am heaven right now, all these prelililipupu's are a dream ApproveThumbs UpBig smileHug
Great stuff.
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2014 at 04:38
Originally posted by terramystic terramystic wrote:

This sure is progressive. But does it rock?
OK. Maybe this kind of music could be seen as rock in the most avant form. But Kind of Blue in top prog rock albums? Are you kidding?

Yes it rocks. How about actually trying to listen to some of the mentioned albums? It doesn't rock like Elvis or AC/DC but very little on PA does. 

No one has ever said Kind of Blue is prog rock, silly. Milestones, Birth of the Cool isn't prog either but a decade later Miles still made a dozen of jazz-rock-fusion classics. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 19>