Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDoes Miles Davis belong in Prog?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 19>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 1.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2014 at 04:52
Originally posted by Kati Kati wrote:

Who said Miles Davis does not belong in prog?

Fox 29 News

Argonaught View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2014 at 04:59

Originally, Attila the Hun did, but most of historians today tend to agree he was just being passive-aggressive Big smile
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2014 at 05:07
Big smile
rdtprog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Heavy, RPI, Symph, JR/F Canterbury Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2014 at 05:07
If this web site is really Progressive Archives, ok for Miles Davis, but if it's Progressive Rock Archives, no.
Music is the refuge of souls ulcerated by happiness.

Emile M. Cioran

Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2014 at 05:33
Originally posted by rdtprog rdtprog wrote:

If this web site is really Progressive Archives, ok for Miles Davis, but if it's Progressive Rock Archives, no.
Listen to his jazz-rockfusion albums!!! If you're ok with Jazz-rockfusion being here as a sub genre Miles is essential.
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2014 at 06:28
Originally posted by rdtprog rdtprog wrote:

Yep, this is quite clearly what we need. A split!

I vote that we immediately set up Progressive Archives, Progressive Rock Archives, Prog Archive, Prog Rock Archives, because, of course, we argue endlessly about Prog and Progressive, Proto Progressive Archives, Proto Progressive Rock Archives, Proto Prog Archives, Proto Prog Rock Archives, Progressive Related Archives, Progressive Rock Related Archives, prog Related Archives, Prog Rock Related Archives........

I think I will go back to work now
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Davesax1965 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2014 at 07:38
As a jazz musician, I have to tell you that Miles Davis is as prog as the Spice Girls. 

A lot of the experimental jazz of the late 50's - Davis, Coltrane et al, and even of the 40's - Charlie Parker and fellow beboppers - was basically an influence for "progressive" forms of music. But that doesn't make it prog. 

It makes it jazz. It's already been labelled. And Miles went through several different musical styles, as did most jazz musicians. I see a lot of music mislabelled on Prog Archives, and this is definitely one of these occasions. 

Prog ? No. Definitely not. 

Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2014 at 07:55
Originally posted by Davesax1965 Davesax1965 wrote:

As a jazz musician, I have to tell you that Miles Davis is as prog as the Spice Girls. 

A lot of the experimental jazz of the late 50's - Davis, Coltrane et al, and even of the 40's - Charlie Parker and fellow beboppers - was basically an influence for "progressive" forms of music. But that doesn't make it prog. 

It makes it jazz. It's already been labelled. And Miles went through several different musical styles, as did most jazz musicians. I see a lot of music mislabelled on Prog Archives, and this is definitely one of these occasions. 

As a NONE Musician but a Jazz aficionado I am stunned with your remark above. I love jazz for the 8 years I lived in Holland I never ever missed the North Sea Jazz Festival (plus I do know Gerry Mulligan is white, not black ;) hihihihi ) LOLHug
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2014 at 08:07
to be honest we continue to call recent music prog, but this is not necessary true, all has been done before thus what we get are variations of it. This said prog is  a brilliant word to classify and pin point people to what they like and enjoy this genre of moozik. Hug 
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2014 at 08:16
Originally posted by terramystic terramystic wrote:

But Kind of Blue in top prog rock albums? Are you kidding?

That's an unfortunate consequence of the way this site operates, whereby if an artist is added then their complete discography is represented here.  Obviously Kind of Blue is not progressive rock, but it's here, gets rated very highly, and makes it's way to the "top of" list.  Album tagging would help alleviate this, but there's far too many artists and albums now to go down that road.
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2014 at 08:23

But you would agree that Miles was at the forefront of jazz-rock/fusion, and because that genre is represented here then it is appropriate for Miles to be here.  Now, if you think JR/F itself shouldn't be here, you're certainly entitled to that opinion, but it's a separate matter.
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2014 at 08:35
Originally posted by Padraic Padraic wrote:

But you would agree that Miles was at the forefront of jazz-rock/fusion, and because that genre is represented here then it is appropriate for Miles to be here.  Now, if you think JR/F itself shouldn't be here, you're certainly entitled to that opinion, but it's a separate matter.
Miles Davis both with Bitches Brew or Sketches of Spain if this does not belong here I really don't know what does, I am not a sheep btw, as I do not like a all prog moozik although my taste tends to favorite this genre. Big smilehugs,  Hug
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2014 at 08:53
Originally posted by TODDLER TODDLER wrote:

Fox 29 News

hahahaha!!! LOLHug
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2014 at 09:37

Precisely.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2014 at 10:08
Sorry. Everyone who think Miles does not belong here - yes including you mr Davesax jazz musician - is uninformed. We all know 40's 50' jazz isn't prog but most if not all of Miles 1968-74 releases are jazz-rock fusion.. which is a sub-genre on PA. Do you all want that sub genre removed? Is that it?
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2014 at 12:10

Miles Davis both with Bitches Brew or Sketches of Spain if this does not belong here I really don't know what does, I am not a sheep btw, as I do not like a all prog moozik although my taste tends to favorite this genre. Big smilehugs,  Hug

Bitches Brew and Sketches Of Spain are my favorite. 
King Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2014 at 12:32
Never understood why he is listed on PA! A Jazz Maestro and Innovator for sure, but Prog Rock, well, don't think so.
Don't Bore Us, Get To The Chorus
RockHound View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2014 at 12:47
Progressive music, definitely.
Progressive rock, definitely not, IMHO.

Does Miles belong on Progressive Archives? 
That's in the eye of the beholder - many listings here are what I would consider tangential to progressive rock. We could have the same discussion about many of the "prog-related" rock bands (oh please, let's don't).
tamijo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2014 at 13:19

Looks to me more like if the debate is ,does “Jazz/Rock Fusion” belong in PA, and I think is does, the progressive Rock, The Avant/Rio and Jazz/Rock Fusion have always been closely related, and a lot of bands/ musicians  work in several genres. (Gong/Bruford/Zappa to name a few), if you agree that Jazz Rock belongs in PA, Miles cannot be excluded. Then you will have some Jazz albums too, because there is a full disgo policy, and so what.

Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours
freyacat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2014 at 13:32
So, Miles Davis lost all of those fans in the 60's because he was starting to play rock.  But we refuse to grant him that title?

Personally, I think of "Bitches Brew" as the black "Tales from Topographic Oceans."  I think of it in the same terms I think of Progressive Rock.

When you really think about it, what is it that makes Mahavishnu Orchestra jazz and Larks' Tongues in Aspic rock?

I do not accept the artificial boundaries.  Miles Davis belongs here alongside Yes and King Crimson.
sad creature nailed upon the coloured door of time
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 19>