Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed4 little gems (120)

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Which one do you prefer ?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
2 [28.57%]
2 [28.57%]
2 [28.57%]
1 [14.29%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: 4 little gems (120)
    Posted: December 11 2014 at 02:05
Adharrma : Mano Ai Pulsanti
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-Tgy48EDYc

G.F Fitz-Gerald : Mouseproof
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTVw-CxKxgg

Mormos : The Magic Spell Of Mother's Wrath
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QzQsWGYl-I

The Spoils Of War : St
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DeXnGsYG4E4
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2014 at 02:09
Mano ai Pulsanti
Adharma Rock Progressivo Italiano

Review by Finnforest 
Special Collaborator Honorary Collaborator

4 stars A modern RPI "one-shot" classic, and a free download

RPI fans know well the story of the 1970s "one-shot" band, those groups of young guys who released their lone esoteric classic before fading into the dusk of history. Well it still happens in the 2000s. Adharma were a hard working band in the mid 2000s when they got the chance to record a full length debut, and just like the old days, they had but a short time to nail it. And nail it they did. I'm so sad this cool band didn't last. "Mano ai Pulsanti" was a concept album dealing with criticisms of media and television, the relationship between reality and media-reality, and power. Their influences included the usual English prog giants Floyd and Crimson, modern bands Mars Volta, Dillinger Escape Plan, and Radiohead, as well as legends of the Italian cantautori De Gregori and De Andre. They personally remind me of their fellow Italians in Akt, as well as the Wilco of the "Yankee Hotel Foxtrot" era.

The music is a superb meld of modern sensibilities and classic progressive rock atmosphere. Unlike so many of the 2000s albums which can be overly loud, overly dense, and over-produced, Adharma has an almost-minimalist sound, but one which is by no means timid or flat. This rocks and has bursts of aggression and chops, but it also has the most serene and poignant moments of space, where the keyboards create pure atmospheric highs. Stressing atmosphere over melody at times, the keys create a broad background palette where you can hear both Radiohead and 70s influences come alive. Electronic blurbs and washes work together with perfectly constructed runs of piano or organ. Rarely do keyboards grab me like they do on this album. Alongside the colorful keys you have guitar and drums that are both comfortable laying back or attacking aggressively. All of the other Italian pleasantries come and go as well. You will find your share of boisterous Italian vocals, heated passages of saxophone jamming, odd sound effects, and choirs.

"Per I Balli di Domani" surfs along in almost detached fashion for a while before the finale launches into pure aggressive, blissful abandon, with super-chugging guitar and raging drums over saxophone. "Colpo Grosso" embraces the avant tendencies never far below the surface in good RPI, with odd sound effects leading to an Eels-like dreamy loop. The 3-part, 12-minute "La Gabbia Nel Mare" is my real favorite. Starting with spooky keys and veiled vocals, it offers a mix of the beautiful and the disorienting. A nice fusiony jam of piano and sax comes. There are even spacey sections here almost like Kingston Wall might throw in. Again, it's the choice of key sounds that blows me away more than the notes or speed. There's great intuition for mood. Part 2 is a sound collage of pure violence and part 3 is also quite strange. The closer "Rue di Rivoli" is a perfect finish, typical RPI piano of a stoic nature backs some narrative vocals over what sounds like a dinner party in the background. It then jumps into a more muscular section with some high pitched keys retaining the common "dreamy" vibe running through the album, then slowly fades. I love this album. If you read this guys, get back together for a 2nd album!

This is one of those fantastic obscure gems which every RPI fan should grab before it disappears. There is no CD. It is offered as a free download or stream here: www.trovarobato.com/adharma/mano-ai-pulsanti.html

Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2014 at 04:38
Spoils of War! Are they on PA? A great mess of a band.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2014 at 04:53
I don't think they are, but they should be Smile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2014 at 13:13

Review by   [-]

Many odd, uncommercial rock albums were produced in the early '70s, but G.F. Fitz-Gerald'sMouseproof is an odd effort even in that company. It's not so much the music itself that's weird, though it's certainly far outside the rock and pop mainstream, drawing from jazz, classical, avant-garde, and electronic forms as well as more song-oriented rock ones. It's the juxtaposition of different, almost stylistically unrelated songs that's the record's most unusual feature, even if most of them are not the weirdest things to come down the pike when judged individually. In tunes like "April Affair," Fitz-Geraldcan recall the more obtuse British folk-rock singer/songwriters, such as Roy Harper, the pleasing textures crossed with jazzy touches and a not-too-easy-to-hum melody. Yet there are also rather comic art rock-ish pieces, somewhat along the lines of what Giles, Giles & Fripp might have been had they become a more forceful rock band, but not quite evolved into the all-out prog rock of King Crimson. There's also droll country-rock ("Country Mouse"), and a pretty folk-jazzy number inspired by the 1970 shootings of Kent State students ("May Four," the most accessible track). Plus there's the bizarre "Ashes of the Empire/The End," which almost sounds like a Frank Zappa-esque inner dialogue/struggle between the most hippy-dippy and bestial elements of the counterculture, a lewd Captain Beefheart-ish growl giving way to an angelic male-female duet intoning "This is my land/This is my home/This is my country/And I want to make love to my lady." (The female voice in that section, incidentally, is original Fairport Convention member Judy Dyble.) The tracks get yet stranger after that. "Under and Over the Waterfall" again recalls the transition between Giles, Giles & Fripp and King Crimson with its tense jazzy rock and flute interplay. "A Movement Lost in Twilight Stone" makes much use of the kind of eerie, echoing guitar/piano pinging heard in the most abstract passages of early Pink Floyd songs. "Political Machine" runs operatic satire through a repetitive, tape-loopy grinder. The lengthy closing "Opal Pyramid Drifting Over Time" cools things out with a repetitive, meditative circular piano riff, over which gentle distorted electric guitar flutters and intermittent drums shuffle, eventually giving way to similar gentle, circular, but more disquieting tones and emissions, and then some ominous choral chanting. To say that this kind of record is not for everyone, even for some hard-bitten psychedelic collectors, is an understatement, since the record never settles into a steady groove or flow, and few of its tracks are conventionally accessible. Still, Fitz-Gerald's work here is skilled, daring, and eclectic, though the parts aren't particularly outstanding or memorable on their own.

Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2014 at 17:34
I"ve only heard the second, but I do like it.
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
zravkapt View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2014 at 17:54
All new to me but I voted for Adharma. I gotta look into that album.
Magma America Great Make Again
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2014 at 21:12
Thanks guys. Thumbs Up Darryl, the free downloading of 2007 is still available, I think. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2014 at 01:16

The Spoils Of War is an obscure psychedelic group founded by James Cuomo, who had been a student of modern composers Samuel Adler, Herbert Brun, Kenneth Gaburo, Salvatore Martirano and Ben Johnston at the University of Illinois where he received a masters in music. This album is a reissue of a limited release LP from 1969 with a few tracks from an EP credited to Cuomo himself, but featuring many of the same musicians.

The music on this album is an odd combination of off-kilter sunshine pop combined with music concrete modes. Try to imagine the Mothers of Invention joining forces with the Red Crayola and the Silver Apples which should give you a good idea of what this band is about.  On a rare occasion, the tape effects work well with the music, although more often than not it just seems like a novelty of the times with different "bleeps" and "bloops" distracting ones attention from the music rather than integrating with it. Vocal duties are shared by female vocalist Anne Williams (aka Anne Hat or Anne Whitefish), Cuomo and a few other musicians. While Williams has a fantastic voice, the rest have horrible voices which actually work quite well with the humorous lyrics.

This is an intriguing album, although very dated. While there have been better examples of electronic noise blending in with rock music, this is one of the more entertaining examples. While I would definitely recommend this to fans of psycho-psychedelic rock, keep in mind this album is quite a wild ride. For the faint of heart, you may want to just stick with your It's A Beautiful Day or Strawberry Alarm Clock albums as this album would likely send you right over the edge.  Togomago.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2014 at 12:27

Review by Sean Trane 
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk
4 stars After their concession-less debut album, the group lost two members (even if both of them end up on the album as guests) but managed to find a new sound and this album is clearly of a much greater interest for progheads. Again recorded in Europe (partly in Paris, partly in London), the music incorporates jazz elements that were previously absent, even if their leader James Cuomo had fiddled around with them in his previous group Spoils Of War, and acid-psych-jazzy-electronic-folk rock ensemble.

After a jazzy opener Homeside, the group returns to their hippie acid folk for a trio of short bluesy-folk tunes culminating in silliness with Plastered In Paris. Retuirning shortly to the jazz realm with Doves Are White and then plungeing for the Joni Mitchell-inspired Cows In My Colourbook, the first side is a bit unfocused and not preparing us for what else is to come.

After the almost a capella Hush and the disturbingly quiet No 5 In The Book, the album reaches its climax with the amazing 9-min+ Rit Yellow (this track was already played with Spoils Of War), and the group shows everything they are capable of with their incredible Spanish Corrida lyrics drama to go with the bolero-flamenco feel of the song the whole thing incredibly sprinkled in jazzy interplay. Cuomo's clarinet sounds a bit like Maneige's Jerome Langlois and the flute answering him is equally excellent and the whole thing just climaxes grandiosely. This track is worth the price alone of the album, even if you get an unremarkable Lady Of The Night to end the record.

Wjhile I would not say that Mormos is one of the most spectacular example of progressive folk, this album is definitely worth the proghead's investigations.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6CpsF4jHUg

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2014 at 02:44
First vote for G.F. Fitz-Gerald. Really good album. 
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2014 at 07:36
Mouseproof LOL

progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2014 at 11:05
The Adharma album is available for free download here: http://www.trovarobato.com/adharma/mano-ai-pulsanti.html
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2014 at 01:28
Thanks men 
 Post Reply Post Reply