3 [6.12%]
2 [4.08%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2014 at 03:39
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

Ilayaraja, king of Tamil music in the 80s, was 33 when he got his big break and before that just a guitar player in the troupes of the big composers.  Thank God he didn't give up, for that may have hastened the decline of Tamil music into mediocrity.  

Mehdi Hassan was a 30 year old car mechanic when he finally got a chance to sing on radio.  It would still be another 7 years before he achieved his breakthrough.  He wound up one of the 'Gods' of ghazals.  

The example of Susan Boyle is also worth bringing up. Even if I have misgivings about the cynical way in which they manipulated the audience's feelings to generate sympathy for her, I cannot knock her singing ability, which was amazing for a 48 year old with so little exposure to the way professional music making works. 

Lastly, a real big one.  Dio was 30 by the time the first Elf album was recorded and he didn't really make it with that one.  It ostensibly did well enough for him to hang on in the music industry, but his big bang moment would be three years later with the first Rainbow album.  Dio is a great example of a celebrated rock figure who enjoyed his peak well into his 30s and through his 40s.  If he had felt disheartened by what he had achieved at the time he had turned 30, the world would have missed out on one of rock's greatest legends.

I know why you said it, because, financially, it can become painful for the musician who is still struggling to make ends meet once he is past 30 and about to start a family.  But then, the reasons why these guys get into music is too emotional to be subject to such purely logical considerations.    My friend has released his (or rather his band's) first EP well into his 30s.  He may never 'make it' in the industry but I doubt he cares much about that, at least for now.  

Sorry but I can't that I am that impressed by those examples and the idea of Dio being a 'legend' is something of a stretch to say the least. Would Rainbow have existed without Dio? Yes of course it would and actually I prefer Graham Bonnet and even the guy that came after him ( Joe Lyn Turner?!)
Susan Boyle is not an artist but a singer.There are thousands on thousands of undiscovered great singers out there. I am tempted to say 'so what?'.

rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2014 at 03:42
My dear sir, surely whether a musician made it or not does not depend on your impressions about him but on history as it unfolded.  I am not sure there would be many takers for your theory that Dio was eminently disposable for Rainbow but even if we assume that to be true, there would be even fewer who would dispute that he pulled Sabbath out of the rut in 1979.  Your simple, unqualified statement was that a musician ought to give up if he cannot make it by the time he is 30.  Well, these folks didn't give up and lived to tell the tale.  Please feel free to resent that and disparage their achievement if that gives you much pleasure, but, again, it is not going to change the facts.  
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2014 at 03:49
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

I think the main thrust of my argument is that if you are that talented then you will find a way to make it. Kids and family can come later. If you haven't made it in music by the age of 30 you can probably safely give up imo.

rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2014 at 03:51
A generalisation to which there are many exceptions. Certainly, applying it to music as a whole rather than just rock music, which at least is more youth-centric, is even more sweeping.  
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2014 at 04:00
Yes it is but nevertheless I'm still not impressed by the examples you threw at me. There may well be better ones I'm sure , perhaps some blues singers from the last century might be better examples although they actually had better material as a result of their struggles. Anyway I didn't say anyone should give up. Its entirely their decision but I don't see why anyone would keep ploughing money into an artist to keep them financially viable to support their family and keep going in music. Why would that be sensible approach and why should we be hammering the industry for not doing this. Can someone be that talented and still remain 'under appreciated' by the public at large for 10 to 20 years? Elbow got that Mercury prize some way into their career but still had 'made their name' long before.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2014 at 04:10
I can't help your prejudice or lack of information about certain artists, can I?  Mehdi Hassan influenced generations of ghazal singers. Dio also is a standard for many metal singers to emulate and he has produced many imitators over the yeas.  Now I can't go on second guessing what your preferences are to find one example that you won't play hard-to-please to and also fits the criterion of above 30.  But Luciano Pavarotti was also over 30 when he gave the performance of La fille du régiment  earned him the sobriquet of King of the High Cs.  There are plenty of examples but I am not going to waste my time further.  My point is there is no magical cut off at the age of 30.  Your theory seems to be that somebody who is talented will stand out by that age and I posted those examples to show it is not so simple as that.  A person has to get opportunities to demonstrate his talents first and even thereafter, he may take some time to find his feet.  

If a musician believes music is what he would like to be involved in lifelong, he should stand by his convictions.  If he is just giving a try for the heck of it, no time would be too soon to give up, possibly.  But there is no particular reason why somebody who is committed to music should give up at the age of 30 for lack of opportunity.  Yes, having to look for the wife and kids would put a lot of pressure on him but devoted artists have usually factored in those problems and have decided to stay the course even so.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2014 at 01:42
I am very much in agreement that you should stop wasting my time as well. Again I never said anyone should give up at the age of 30. Stop saying that. I said that if an artist as not made it my the age of 30 they can probably safely give up. The key word being probably. Of course there is no mathematical principle involved that at the age of 30 you have to give up.  Some will carry on somehow because that is all they want to do and will find a way. Perhaps they will get support from somewhere. All very fine and dandy and good with me.
Star_Song_Age_Less View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2014 at 02:41
^ Or perhaps, the reason a person hasn't "made it" in music by the time they are 30 was because they were pushed into a "safe" career by mum and dad, and only realized after the spouse and kids that half their life had gone by, and it was time to do something about it.

As regards the thread topic, I had to vote "nope" because of the extremely commercial band that I love love love, and that is Type O Negative.  They aimed to make music that people would buy, and yet for me I find their music emotionally moving in the extreme.
https://www.facebook.com/JamieKernMusic
Flight123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2014 at 04:48
I am voting 'no' because there is not enough of it for genuine artists to survive - it has always been the case with greedy record labels.  I went into HMV yesterday and noted that the whole downstairs is given to DVDs with music now going 'upstairs'.  Soon, they will stop selling it all together as people want their nightly low challenge 'entertainment'... music is now devalued.  The arrival of MTV in the 80s was the thin end of the wedge...
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2014 at 15:54
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

I do love you Ivan but I think you have it ass backwards dude.

The industry didn't kill the music,  in fact we killed the industry.  It is a new world out there. Ignoring the 5% of bands and really looking big picture..  it has been a trade off. Outside of Nashville, and the NYC/LA hip hop based industries..  the industry has little play on rock music today.  Musicians today have unprecedented freedom to make the music they want, full creative control that one had to be a mega-superstar in the 70's to have, ease of production and distribution again without the 'industry'.

The trade off...  for the vast majority of musicians it is not going to be a career. Definitely nothing that will get you a fleet of Rolls Royces in the garage.

Thus we have the real killer of musicians and groups today. It is not financial my friend.. it is making a mark and finding ones audience in the completely oversaturated market for music...  and progressive rock today.

It's a vicious circle Micky.

I once read that a 60's/70's  artist musically survived 3 or 4 decades, an 80's artist in average 1.5 decades, in the  90's the average fell down to 2 years, in the 21st centuyry, less than a year

Of course that there are some who survive more, but the vast majority vanish after 1 album.

Yes we have a huge part of fault, but it all starts in the labels.

A bunch of school guys like Genesis and a 19 year old multi instrumentalist like Mike Oldfield only had a chance because the labels were managed by their owners, Tony Stratton Smith and Richard Branson took the risk of signing great but unknown musicians, because they wanted the best artists.

Why was that?

Because Smith and Branson would normally manage the company in 10 or 20 years, they wanted the best of the best, if they lost money with the first album, probably in a couple of years they would get a masterpiece and have a rooster of 20 or 30 great artists and l receive the benefits...Because they will still own the company.

Today, the owners don't select an artist, they hire 20 years dumb kids who select popular pseudo arttists and receive a bonus for each million albums they sell.

This kids don't care if the artist is crap, they only want to sell 10 million copies in 2 months  to receive a juicy bonus, if the artist vanishes in thin air or the label breaks, they don't give a damn, because this kids jump from one label to another, they just need to sell a lot in a short lapse of time and get a couple millions.

If the label breaks, the owner will suffer, but this hired guns don't give a $hit, they just add into their resume how many albums they sold in 2 months and get a new job in another label.

Yes, people buy crap, but the problem is that the labels, disk jockey and Rolling Stones tell the average listener what he must like.

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - December 15 2014 at 15:57

Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2014 at 16:25
I'm with you all the way, Iván.

ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2014 at 16:31
Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

I do love you Ivan but I think you have it ass backwards dude.

The industry didn't kill the music,  in fact we killed the industry.  It is a new world out there. Ignoring the 5% of bands and really looking big picture..  it has been a trade off. Outside of Nashville, and the NYC/LA hip hop based industries..  the industry has little play on rock music today.  Musicians today have unprecedented freedom to make the music they want, full creative control that one had to be a mega-superstar in the 70's to have, ease of production and distribution again without the 'industry'.

The trade off...  for the vast majority of musicians it is not going to be a career. Definitely nothing that will get you a fleet of Rolls Royces in the garage.

Thus we have the real killer of musicians and groups today. It is not financial my friend.. it is making a mark and finding ones audience in the completely oversaturated market for music...  and progressive rock today.

It's a vicious circle Micky.

I once read that a 60's/70's  artist musically survived 3 or 4 decades, an 80's artist in average 1.5 decades, in the  90's the average fell down to 2 years, in the 21st centuyry, less than a year

I haven't seen that. Fascinating but unfortunately NOT surprising in the least

Of course that there are some who survive more, but the vast majority vanish after 1 album.

Yes we have a huge part of fault, but it all starts in the labels.

I'm listening. But my face pinches when I see the word 'fault' thrown around like anyone has done anything wrong.

Time change man. You know that, I know that. One can't place blame or fault for just naturally changing and mutating as the music business and the business OF music have.

A bunch of school guys like Genesis and a 19 year old multi instrumentalist like Mike Oldfield only had a chance because the labels were managed by their owners, Tony Stratton Smith and Richard Branson took the risk of signing great but unknown musicians, because they wanted the best artists.

Why was that?

Because Smith and Branson would normally manage the company in 10 or 20 years, they wanted the best of the best, if they lost money with the first album, probably in a couple of years they would get a masterpiece and have a rooster of 20 or 30 great artists and l receive the benefits...Because they will still own the company.

Today, the owners don't select an artist, they hire 20 years dumb kids who select popular pseudo arttists and receive a bonus for each million albums they sell.

This kids don't care if the artist is crap, they only want to sell 10 million copies in 2 months  to receive a juicy bonus, if the artist vanishes in thin air or the label breaks, they don't give a damn, because this kids jump from one label to another, they just need to sell a lot in a short lapse of time and get a couple millions.

If the label breaks, the owner will suffer, but this hired guns don't give a $hit, they just add into their resume how many albums they sold in 2 months and get a new job in another label.

Yes, people buy crap, but the problem is that the labels, disk jockey and Rolling Stones tell the average listener what he must like.

I see the point you are making Ivan. But I really fail to see the relevance to today's Progressive Rock reality.  You speak as if the major labels still have any real influence or impact on this music. It has gone underground, it is not meant.. perhaps never really was.. to reach mass audiences.  Thus today's progressive music is self produced and distributed or in the hands of small boutique lables who give bands an outlet but again simply will never see the money to make them rich, but conversely never get caught up enough in the money games to drop and treat bands like sh*t.. or just as bad.. dictate musical direction and content to make sure returns on investments are repaid at the least or to make them rich in best cases.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2014 at 01:58
Originally posted by Flight123 Flight123 wrote:

I am voting 'no' because there is not enough of it for genuine artists to survive - it has always been the case with greedy record labels.  I went into HMV yesterday and noted that the whole downstairs is given to DVDs with music now going 'upstairs'.  Soon, they will stop selling it all together as people want their nightly low challenge 'entertainment'... music is now devalued.  The arrival of MTV in the 80s was the thin end of the wedge...

There is an interesting point here although I don't think its MTV fault that people watch more TV for entertainment or that music has become devalued. On this basis you could blame companies like Showtime and HBO for making so many annoyingly addictive TV programmes and deflecting attention away from music as an entertainment. I guess for me personally its easy just to plonk myself in front of the TV for an evening and ignore the CD player which unfortunately I do far too often.Embarrassed
Davesax1965 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2014 at 07:22
The problem is that the entire world has radically changed. It's not - as Richard says - just MTV et al, it's that there are so many other distractions. We're all probably a tad older on this forum than most folks on music forums - if you grew up in the 1960's and 70's, there was less music around, less distractions, so people valued what they had more and listened to it with more attention. 

At the time, if you were a musician, you couldn't afford to just slap any old rubbish out. If you did that, people WOULD notice and the record wouldn't sell. Now, with the jam spread thinner, the general level of talent is less, the general listening public have been brought up to not realise when music actually is good.....

Having said that.... I've been on a down for ages about the modern music industry, but it's changing for the better. Yes, we're at a very low level for musicianship at the moment - compared to the 70's, that is. But with the death of the record label and the rise of the home recording artist, we're now seeing the pendulum slowly swing the other way - away from mass commercial "product" masquerading as music. And good for that. 

Edited by Davesax1965 - December 16 2014 at 07:24

Davesax1965 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2014 at 07:25
As a PS - as I get older, I tend to write better, musically - as I have more experience. 

I really don't subscribe to the "30 or bust" argument, that's for the pretty boys and girls and popsters. 

Flight123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2014 at 07:35
MTV was symptomatic of the wider changes that Dave alludes to.  I think qualitatively music remains at a constant but it is brought to us in different ways.  The album itself is the product of technology but at least musicians would give it their best shot in the 20 minutes or so available to them thus acting as a default quality control mechanism (unless they had the resources to cover 4, or 6 sides of vinyl...)  I still maintain that music, as a commodity, has lost value over the years (hence the reference to the changing physical retail landscape of HMV).  As a father of five (gulp) I can see this in my own kids' consumption patterns.
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2014 at 08:02

Originally posted by Flight123 Flight123 wrote:

There is an interesting point here although I don't think its MTV fault that people watch more TV for entertainment or that music has become devalued. On this basis you could blame companies like Showtime and HBO for making so many annoyingly addictive TV programmes and deflecting attention away from music as an entertainment. I guess for me personally its easy just to plonk myself in front of the TV for an evening and ignore the CD player which unfortunately I do far too often.Embarrassed
On the other hand some stores here have now a vinyl section Ermm

Good thing the TV sucks here LOL
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2014 at 10:36
Certainly! Look what it did to Yes' Big Generator.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2014 at 14:32
Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

they had money a long time before this though

This to me is just a band thinking they can follow a trend because they hadn't yet got to an age when it was too late to think otherwise. There are tones of examples in the eighties and none were doing it try and make more money. They already has sh*tloads of it so why did they need more? What I believe they wanted was to be was artistically relevant and accepted. It only dawned on many of them some years later what a blatantly stupid idea that was and got back to just making music.
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2014 at 15:41

Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

they had money a long time before this though

This to me is just a band thinking they can follow a trend because they hadn't yet got to an age when it was too late to think otherwise. There are tones of examples in the eighties and none were doing it try and make more money. They already has sh*tloads of it so why did they need more? What I believe they wanted was to be was artistically relevant and accepted. It only dawned on many of them some years later what a blatantly stupid idea that was and got back to just making music.

Artistically relevant and accepted? Aren't those achieved by simply getting back to "just making music"? As for already having enough money, no, there's never enough, with recording company and management fees cutting into the lump sum and all (didn't Anderson get taken to the cleaners by his manager sometime in the late '80s?). And when Yes delivered the goods with their '80s hit album containing Owner of a Bloated Heart, the money thing really got ugly and corrupted their subsequent offering, Big Penetrator. A far cry from the Yes I cherish.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>