Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedEinstuerzende Neubauten?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Poll Question: What is the best way of classifying Einstuerzede Neubauten?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
0 [0.00%]
7 [31.82%]
2 [9.09%]
9 [40.91%]
4 [18.18%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2005 at 20:21

Ah. I thought they were 'mildly progressive' and not prog.

I'm so prog, I clap in 9/8
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2005 at 20:22
Originally posted by Publius Publius wrote:

Ah. I thought they were 'mildly progressive' and not prog.

And Einstürzende Neubauten, are they just progressive or prog? I'd say that they're "somewhat" progressive.

Publius View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2005 at 20:23
Yeah, same. Definitely not prog, but somewhat progressive. See! We're on the right lines.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2005 at 20:25
Wonderful - so we can both be happy and call it a night.

Edited by MikeEnRegalia
Fantômas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2005 at 20:26

Yes I do but you misunderstand me. I said 'Front 242 are progressive' because I haven't heard them.

Front By Front is wonderful!
And above all, is punk
Publius View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2005 at 20:39
cool, I'll check it out sometime.
kirklott View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2005 at 08:23

I always did. But aren't Yes always referred to as the public as a rock band? Countless times I have seen 'Rock keyboardist Rick Wakeman'. Just because they are a different genre doesn't mean they aren't prog. Prog metal, prog rock, prog house, prog electronic, even prog death. this is just prog industrial.

Sure, and prog disco, prog ska, prog punk, etc.

"Progressive rock is the key to the continuance of human evolution." - Charles Darwin
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2005 at 09:30
my personal opinion is: if "prog" really stands for "progressive", then the Einstürzende Neubauten should be included. the archive lists the sub-genre "avantgarde", which is exactly where they belong. their numerous appearances as musical background for radio or theatrical plays only add to this impression. they are 100% prog, but also 100% avantgarde, so fans of symphonic prog, beware!

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2005 at 09:56

Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

my personal opinion is: if "prog" really stands for "progressive", then the Einstürzende Neubauten should be included. the archive lists the sub-genre "avantgarde", which is exactly where they belong. their numerous appearances as musical background for radio or theatrical plays only add to this impression. they are 100% prog, but also 100% avantgarde, so fans of symphonic prog, beware!

But they're dilettantes - at least during the first ten years, when they were most experimental, they couldn't play instruments properly. Surely there's a difference between an artist who is an excellent musician who plays minimalistic stuff (for example Zappa), and an artist who just avoids playing complex music because he's not capable of it. 

BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2005 at 10:11
Originally posted by MikeEnRegalia MikeEnRegalia wrote:

But they're dilettantes - at least during the first ten years, when they were most experimental, they couldn't play instruments properly. Surely there's a difference between an artist who is an excellent musician who plays minimalistic stuff (for example Zappa), and an artist who just avoids playing complex music because he's not capable of it. 

a lot of bands are or were more or less dilettantes. Tangerine Dream for example never were great virtuosos either. the attitude of "learning by doing" is not the worst one

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2005 at 10:18
Granted. I guess this is a matter of taste and the dilletantism must be seen in conjunction with - or in comparison to - the amount of congeniality and artistry. IMHO the Einstürzende Neubauten are not good enough to compensate for their dilletantism. Add to that their Punk influences, and you have the reason for not wanting them on this website.
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2005 at 10:25

IMHO the Einstürzende Neubauten are not good enough to compensate for their dilletantism. Add to that their Punk influences, and you have the reason for not wanting them on this website.

this is where our opinions differ. I think the artistic expression of the Einstürzende Neubauten justifies their inclusion. that's why I especially pointed out their contribution to theatrical and radio plays

Edited by BaldJean

BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2005 at 10:28
by the way, the New Gibraltar Encyclopedia of Progressive Music lists them

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2005 at 10:48
I would not oppose their addition to the archives the way others did when Queen were added. I see why you - and many others - consider them to be progressive. Maybe it has something to do with my musical background, I'm always looking for outstanding musicianship.
Publius View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2005 at 12:24
Good to see I've started this conversation off - I am definitely considering adding them to the archives...Now, all in favour say aye!
Fantômas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2005 at 21:03

Surely there's a difference between an artist who is an excellent musician who plays minimalistic stuff (for example Zappa), and an artist who just avoids playing complex music because he's not capable of it. 

And, also, there's a BIG difference between what you think is 'being capable' and what I think. So this is a invalid argument, for sure...
And above all, is punk
Fantômas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2005 at 21:04

IMHO the Einstürzende Neubauten are not good enough to compensate for their dilletantism. Add to that their Punk influences, and you have the reason for not wanting them on this website.

this is where our opinions differ. I think the artistic expression of the Einstürzende Neubauten justifies their inclusion. that's why I especially pointed out their contribution to theatrical and radio plays

Good point...
And above all, is punk
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2005 at 01:56
Originally posted by Fantômas Fantômas wrote:

Surely there's a difference between an artist who is an excellent musician who plays minimalistic stuff (for example Zappa), and an artist who just avoids playing complex music because he's not capable of it. 

And, also, there's a BIG difference between what you think is 'being capable' and what I think. So this is a invalid argument, for sure...

Not invalid ... but surely impossible to prove. I just never heard any recording that showed me that the Einstürzende Neubauten can really play. I love listening to Zappa's "You call that music?" where everyone is just goofing around on their instruments, because I KNOW what they're capable of.

Fantômas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2005 at 14:17

Not invalid ... but surely impossible to prove. I just never heard any recording that showed me that the Einstürzende Neubauten can really play. I love listening to Zappa's "You call that music?" where everyone is just goofing around on their instruments, because I KNOW what they're capable of.

I see your point, but I have a question (in simple words that my poor english can reach): They can play, but they don't... The others 'can't' play and they don't. So this is my question: Where's the difference? The final result is what matters, not what they're capable of (IMO, of course)...
And above all, is punk
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2005 at 14:35

I see your point, but I have a question (in simple words that my poor english can reach): They can play, but they don't... The others 'can't' play and they don't. So this is my question: Where's the difference? The final result is what matters, not what they're capable of (IMO, of course)...

I know what you mean. I'm not saying that I'm right - it's a rule that makes sense to me. As I said - I'm a musician, and I consider prog to be a form of art which is based on music. I'm primarily interested in musically challenging stuff. Even if it was "played" by virtuoso musicians, I couldn't listen to a whole album of noise.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>