Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2014 at 09:25
Originally posted by ProgPassion ProgPassion wrote:

Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

VdGG by far. 

and far too little LOL

I did think this would be a smidge closer than it was.  The power of the bobbleheads and Field Marshall Ivan never ceases to amaze me. Especially when Ivan talks about Camel being soporific...  hah.. Mirage had more air guitar and red-blood moments than the entire f**king Genesis catalog LOLLOL

Yes, exactly. Big smileBig smile

Thumbs Up
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
ProgPassion View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2014 at 09:32

VdGG by far. 

and far too little LOL

I did think this would be a smidge closer than it was.  The power of the bobbleheads and Field Marshall Ivan never ceases to amaze me. Especially when Ivan talks about Camel being soporific...  hah.. Mirage had more air guitar and red-blood moments than the entire f**king Genesis catalog LOLLOL

Yes, exactly. Big smileBig smile

Thumbs Up

My qualms with Genesis have no end - I have listened to SEBTP 20+ times, Foxtrot 10+ times, Nursery Cryme 10+ times, and The Lamb around 5 times. I simply cannot find a shade of brilliance among it. 
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2014 at 09:45
yeah.  Welcome to the PA's anti-Genesis club, who frankly are dumbfouned by the adoration those albums get.

We are a small group, but a proud group LOL I

Though you are one up on me. SEBTP connected with me upon the first listen. It does have the two songs I adore most from Genesis. The one time they really unleashed Hacket and  the ONLY time in the history of Genesis that Tony Banks did something interesting.. more than interesting.. simply stunning actually.  However that was  the only one, the only album I'd put they did on par with the multiple greats that all the other greats did do, they had some good individual album tracks IMO, but overall the albums ... very weak. A lot of simply boring stuff mixed with some occasional neat stuff.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2014 at 09:55

yeah.  Welcome to the PA's anti-Genesis club, who frankly are dumbfouned by the adoration those albums get.

Though you are one up on me. SEBTP connected with me upon the first listen. It does have the two songs I adore most from Genesis. The one time they really unleashed Hacket and  the ONLY time in the history of Genesis that Tony Banks did something interesting.. more than interesting.. simply stunning actually.  However that was  the only one, the only album I'd put they did on par with the multiple greats that all the other greats did do, they had some good individual album tracks IMO, but overall the albums ... very weak. A lot of simply boring stuff mixed with some occasional neat stuff.

I think my obsession with the instrumental side of music probably inhibits my ability to fully appreciate them - Peter Gabriel's lyrics are frequently lauded, and I don't pay much attention to them. What are some of your favourite artists? 
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2014 at 10:07

I think my obsession with the instrumental side of music probably inhibits my ability to fully appreciate them - Peter Gabriel's lyrics are frequently lauded, and I don't pay much attention to them. What are some of your favourite artists? 

ohh.. putting me on the spot.   That is hard to answer, for I have SO many for all the different moods and emotions i go through on a daily basis LOL

As far as favorites.

I am an unabashed ELP fan.  I do love heavy aggressive music as well as the contrasts they had with the silly and simply beautiful. 

I am a huge fan of the Italian stuff.  Particularly Osanna. That my friends is some seriously intense sh*t. From the little you just said.. you need to get your hands on Palepoli if you don't have it yet. You'd eat that album with both hands and come back fpr more and want from the other albums. That album though, I put in the top 5 of greatest prog albums EVER done. Read the reviews of the album via the site.  It is an album that connects in the heart.. and especially the balls.

In the same vein I'm a huge Amon Duul II fan... lot of fire and spirit and trippiness.  Not a bad album for the length of their classic years.  Yet you still see a neat progression in their style as they went along.

On the flip side. I do like more experimental or mood music that fits my more introspective moods.

I am a huge.. HUGE Franco Battiatio fan.  There was never a more stiring or beautifully hypnotic album that I have heard than Sulle Corde di Ariea. Turn off the lights, put on the headphones, smoke a J or drink a glass of wine.. and just be taken away ... wow.

Many others I suppose ...  thanks for asking though. Yourself??
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2014 at 10:16

ohh.. putting me on the spot.   That is hard to answer, for I have SO many for all the different moods and emotions i go through on a daily basis LOL

As far as favorites.

I am an unabashed ELP fan.  I do love heavy aggressive music as well as the contrasts they had with the silly and simply beautiful. 

I am a huge fan of the Italian stuff.  Particularly Osanna. That my friends is some seriously intense sh*t. From the little you just said.. you need to get your hands on Palepoli if you don't have it yet. You'd eat that album with both hands and come back fpr more and want from the other albums. That album though, I put in the top 5 of greatest prog albums EVER done. Read the reviews of the album via the site.  It is an album that connects in the heart.. and especially the balls.

In the same vein I'm a huge Amon Duul II fan... lot of fire and spirit and trippiness.  Not a bad album for the length of their classic years.  Yet you still see a neat progression in their style as they went along.

On the flip side. I do like more experimental or mood music that fits my more introspective moods.

I am a huge.. HUGE Franco Battiatio fan.  There was never a more stiring or beautifully hypnotic album that I have heard than Sulle Corde di Ariea. Turn off the lights, put on the headphones, smoke a J or drink a glass of wine.. and just be taken away ... wow.

Many others I suppose ...  thanks for asking though. Yourself??

The Mahavishnu Orchestra, Frank Zappa, Death, Led Zeppelin, Captain Beefheart, Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Grateful Dead, Yes, Necrophagist, Parliament/Funkadelic, Prince, Pink Floyd, Santana... probably the ones I visit most often. I have Palepoli, but I haven't listened to it yet :D 
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2014 at 10:20
oh I do like your tastes. Thumbs Up

Definitely give Palepoli a spin.. it is an experience.. perhaps read my wife's (Raff) review of it as she fills in some of the background of it quite well, whereas most reviewers (like me) just gushed about what we were hearing haha.
Kentucky_Hawkwindage View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2014 at 12:19
VDGG
"Nobody's Gonna Change My World That's Something To Unreal"   Lyrics that i live my life by-from Black Sabbath's Technical Ecstasy's track You Won't Change Me
memowakeman View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2014 at 13:49
Genesis.

Follow me on twitter @memowakeman
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2014 at 21:22

Actually, Mostly I agree with your points on Genesis... however, those individual album tracks are more than enough to make me like the band and not be in an anti-Genesis club. Now, I don't know if we agree on the songs that make you like the band and which ones dislike them, but indeed for me there's no whole album from the band I love from beginning to end (not even Selling England, even though it's the closest one, but Battle of Epping Forest just ruins it for me). However, I'm afraid that's the very same problem I have with your beloved ELP, there's just no album in which I really love every song they released.
progrockdeepcuts View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2014 at 21:23
Where can I join this anti-Genesis fan club of yours? :)

Listen to older shows here: mixcloud.com/progrockdeepcuts/
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2014 at 22:29

Interesting you mention SEBTP, as I've listened to it a few times and still don't remember a thing about it. Foxtrot, we're getting there. The only Genesis album I can say has been memorable for me is TLLDoB, which, ironically, is the one that gets the most flack for being boring.
Raccoon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2014 at 00:40

I'm part of the anti-anti-Genesis club, we shame those who shame Genesis!! Angry 

Genesis is one of the few BIGGIES that, well... I LOVE their 80's output!! Invisible Touch (the album, not the song itself Tongue) I love. The Brazilian is classic. Duke is strong, but not as powerful as ...AttwT... 

If this were a Peter Gabriel vs. Hammill, this result would be different (due to their solo output), but since it's not, GENESIS UPVOTE!! Thumbs Up
      Check out my FREE album: A one-man project   The Distant Dynasty

https://distantdynasty.bandcamp.com/
bhikkhu View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2014 at 11:24
Originally posted by progrockdeepcuts progrockdeepcuts wrote:

Watch it, you might alienate one of your most loyal listeners. Wink

octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2014 at 11:44
Originally posted by bhikkhu bhikkhu wrote:

My three stars rating made SEBTP fall from the first place in the home page's top 100. Can I be admitted in the club? Big smile
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
danyboy View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2014 at 02:48
Genesis...sorry Hammill
ole-the-first View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2014 at 05:12
Van Der Graaf Generator
This night wounds time.
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2014 at 09:48
Originally posted by octopus-4 octopus-4 wrote:

My three stars rating made SEBTP fall from the first place in the home page's top 100. Can I be admitted in the club? Big smile

I would assume the answer is most certainly yes. LOLBig smileTongueWink I'm glad to see that you are an aficionado of Avant-Garde music. 
progrockdeepcuts View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2014 at 22:44

Ha! Well, I actually do like quite a bit of Genesis tracks - I just find them generally underwhelming compared to, well, most any other prog band. I want you to know, I just added a Genesis track to the playlist on the 8th. Just for you, HT. Big smile

Edited by progrockdeepcuts - December 29 2014 at 22:51

Listen to older shows here: mixcloud.com/progrockdeepcuts/
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2014 at 23:51

Ha! Well, I actually do like quite a bit of Genesis tracks - I just find them generally underwhelming compared to, well, most any other prog band. I want you to know, I just added a Genesis track to the playlist on the 8th. Just for you, HT. Big smile

yeah...  underwhelming..hmm..  good word for it.  You are too polite Ian. Call them what they are.. f**king boring!!! LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>