Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Beatles never existed!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 11>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2015 at 20:22
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Originally posted by Kati Kati wrote:

No matter what, never give in LOL hahaha!!! this part cracks me up all the time hahaha!!

It's only a flesh wound.

The bit that makes me laugh - "what, the curtains?".
hahahaha!! Chopper, that's the funniest quote ever, indeed, haha! LOL big hug Hug
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2015 at 21:11
The fact is that the Beatles were very silly, before the word progressive came to be related in music, they already experimented with the i.e. French Horn, sitar among so much more.
Also they had some very silly song titles and they did not release concept albums, they are known for releasing albums with amazing diverse individual none related tracks. I miss this a lot from current bands, really. Unhappy hugs to you all Hug
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2015 at 08:18
^Right back at ya, Kiddo! Hug
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
NYSPORTSFAN View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2015 at 11:04
Originally posted by Kati Kati wrote:

The fact is that the Beatles were very silly, before the word progressive came to be related in music, they already experimented with the i.e. French Horn, sitar among so much more.
Also they had some very silly song titles and they did not release concept albums, they are known for releasing albums with amazing diverse individual none related tracks. I miss this a lot from current bands, really. Unhappy hugs to you all Hug

I will continue to say the reason The Beatles are IMO the most influential rock/pop artist is because of their ability to combine sources that were basically unused in rock music with memorable pop songwriting. Someone like Frank Zappa not to be insulting either didn't have the inclination to do this or dare I say the talent to accomplish this.

In regards to the Beatles there are so many examples the guitar feedback "I Feel Fine", drone rock "Ticket To Ride",  sitar 'Norwegian Wood" etc.

Then there are songs that completely go away from the typical blues  and folk rock  format of the day like "Tomorrow Never Knows" which basically invents Breakbeat twenty years in hindsight, "Eleanor Rigby, "Strawberry Fields Forever", "A Day In The Life" etc. which are no doubt some of the first proto-progressive rock songs. Yet all these songs I have cited are some of the most covered songs in rock music history.

In many ways The Beatles are underrated for what they were able to accomplish.

Edited by NYSPORTSFAN - January 11 2015 at 11:08
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2015 at 13:02
^it's good to see you back NYSF. Cheers.
TradeMark0 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2015 at 05:06
Originally posted by NYSPORTSFAN NYSPORTSFAN wrote:

I will continue to say the reason The Beatles are IMO the most influential rock/pop artist is because of their ability to combine sources that were basically unused in rock music with memorable pop songwriting. Someone like Frank Zappa not to be insulting either didn't have the inclination to do this or dare I say the talent to accomplish this.
What! Frank Zappa did all of these things. Do you just not like him or do you think he is not that impressive. The idea of the Beatles being more talented than Frank Zappa completely eludes me. Next thing you know, people will start saying that the Beatles were more talented than Beethoven.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2015 at 15:53
Originally posted by Imperial Zeppelin Imperial Zeppelin wrote:

There was also some talk about a Mexican Beatles.

Some say it's photoshopped, but I don't believe them.

that is way too funnyLOL
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2015 at 16:45
so much for this IPA I was drinking..  it i s now been spit all over my monitor...

I really should avoid threads whose titles make me say to myself... WTF... you just know there is no good within them.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Argonaught View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2015 at 19:21
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

so much for this IPA I was drinking..  it i s now been spit all over my monitor...
Would your IPA rinse down the diet Coke you spilled a few days ago? 
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2015 at 23:03
Originally posted by TradeMark0 TradeMark0 wrote:

What! Frank Zappa did all of these things. Do you just not like him or do you think he is not that impressive. The idea of the Beatles being more talented than Frank Zappa completely eludes me. Next thing you know, people will start saying that the Beatles were more talented than Beethoven.
Awww TradeMark0 & NYSPORTSFAN, I LOVE both ZAPPA and THE BEATLES.
The Mothers of Invention was released in 1967, The Beatles also released  Sgt Pepper Lonely Hearts Club in 1967. However prior to this in 1966 The Beatles had released Revolver, this being two years prior to Zappa's Hot Rats 1969 and a year before this in 1968 the Beatles released The White Album.  
This said both The Beatles and Zappa were most influential to date and I am so happy both existed. ClapApprove
Big Group hug, Hug
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2015 at 23:06
Big smile
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2015 at 23:08
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

that is way too funnyLOL

hahaha!! Los Beatles actually as far fetched as it seems and funny it does actually does exist, not Mexican but Los Beatles is a compilation album by The Beatles released originally in Argentina in 1965. LOLHug hugs xxx
aglasshouse View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2015 at 08:34
Hold on, I might be a little confused- what's a music?
http://fryingpanmedia.com
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2015 at 14:06
^You sound like you're looking for the Shred Room.  Keep going until you get to a forum that smells like burning brimstone.
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2015 at 13:00

I hate revisionist history. I like Frank Zappa but he just did not either have the inclination or the talent to combine experimentation with memorable pop songwriting. In the end these comparisions are just silly but as most musicians I think The Beatles were incredible in what they accomplished,

However, what memorable progressive/pop songs did Frank Zappa create that equals "Eleanor Rigby" or "A Day in the Life"? Let's be realistic OK. It's not an insult against Zappa but that was obviously a talent that seems almost unique to The Beatles compared to other bands at the time.

I will say it again Zappa may have been radical but he definitely did not have the songwriting chops Lennon/McCartney/Harrison had to project to the masses. By the way I think "Eleanor Rigby" or "Tomorrow Never Knows' is much more radical than anything on "Freak Out". Just think about it.

akamaisondufromage View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2015 at 13:11
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

that is way too funnyLOL

Pablo would be Pablo Ramon as the story is that he used to sign into hotels under the name Ramon.  A certain Douglas Colvin heard this story and decided to name all the members of his band after Pablo Ramon.
Help me I'm falling!
LearsFool View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2015 at 13:14

I will continue to say the reason The Beatles are IMO the most influential rock/pop artist is because of their ability to combine sources that were basically unused in rock music with memorable pop songwriting. Someone like Frank Zappa not to be insulting either didn't have the inclination to do thisor dare I say the talent to accomplish this.

I hate revisionist history. I like Frank Zappa but he just did not either have the inclination or the talent to combine experimentation with memorable pop songwriting. In the end these comparisions are just silly but as most musicians I think The Beatles were incredible in what they accomplished,

However, what memorable progressive/pop songs did Frank Zappa create that equals "Eleanor Rigby" or "A Day in the Life"? Let's be realistic OK. It's not an insult against Zappa but that was obviously a talent that seems almost unique to The Beatles compared to other bands at the time.

I will say it again Zappa may have been radical but he definitely did not have the songwriting chops Lennon/McCartney/Harrison had to project to the masses. By the way I think "Eleanor Rigby" or "Tomorrow Never Knows' is much more radical than anything on "Freak Out". Just think about it.

Freak Out!
is far more radical than even "Tomorrow Never Knows" due to the way that Zappa smashed through barriers that separated genres, that separated comedy from music, and that held back how avant garde rock could be. By nature of being put in a pop idiom, most Beatles tracks couldn't hope to be as radical as Zappa.

However, the kind of experimentation the Beatles did, and their ability to put that in pop form, took equal chops as to what Zappa had, just in a different form. And we all know who proved far more influential.

It's give and take. Don't knock Zappa, and don't knock the Fab Four. They both proved themselves titans several times over through several different styles.

Edited by Lear'sFool - January 24 2015 at 13:14
zravkapt View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2015 at 13:23
Pablo once said of Sgt The Pepper: "This is our Freak Out!"
Magma America Great Make Again
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2015 at 13:55
Originally posted by Lear'sFool Lear'sFool wrote:

I will continue to say the reason The Beatles are IMO the most influential rock/pop artist is because of their ability to combine sources that were basically unused in rock music with memorable pop songwriting. Someone like Frank Zappa not to be insulting either didn't have the inclination to do thisor dare I say the talent to accomplish this.

Freak Out!
is far more radical than even "Tomorrow Never Knows" due to the way that Zappa smashed through barriers that separated genres, that separated comedy from music, and that held back how avant garde rock could be. By nature of being put in a pop idiom, most Beatles tracks couldn't hope to be as radical as Zappa.

However, the kind of experimentation the Beatles did, and their ability to put that in pop form, took equal chops as to what Zappa had, just in a different form. And we all know who proved far more influential.

It's give and take. Don't knock Zappa, and don't knock the Fab Four. They both proved themselves titans several times over through several different styles.

Well we disagree. Take something like "Eleanor Rigby" and I can't think of any other rock band prior to The Beatles who attempted a modal song with just string backings and no rock instruments whatsoever.

Then take "Tomorrow Never Knows" its one chord structure based on a tamboura drone, background music of samples/tape loops/, a drum beat that is basically looped, backward guitar solo, vocals through a leslie speaker. We are talking some drastic experimentation compared to the blues/garage rock/folk rock bands were doing in 1966.

Obviously something like "Love You To" by some is considered to be the first conscious attempt in rock to emulate a non-Western form of music in structure and instrumentation. This song was not obviously not like "Norwegian Wood" or "Eight Miles High" either

These are examples to me that are much more radical than Zappa of combining Varese compositional influences with R&B vocal styles.

In the end I don't find anything Zappa did that equals "A Day In The Life" or "Tomorrow Never Knows".

Edited by NYSPORTSFAN - January 24 2015 at 14:03
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2015 at 14:07
Originally posted by zravkapt zravkapt wrote:

Pablo once said of Sgt The Pepper: "This is our Freak Out!"

Well didn't Zappa out of jealousy of Sgt. Pepper's success made a satirical reply with "Were Only in it For The Money"?

It's ironic Zappa ended up covering "Within You Without You" years later.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 11>