FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSome PA Statistics

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Some PA Statistics
    Posted: December 29 2014 at 09:39
I know statistics have only the value you want to give them, and even more when they are about some rather arbitrary data system as PA, but I had some time to kill so I checked some data of PA's Top Albums by year and made a couple of statistics, just for some fun and hopefully fueling some debate (I know Pedro 'Moshkito' will yell at the Top Albums stuff Wink).

1. Number of albums per year with rating equal or higher than 4.00 (the 'normal' rating not the QWR)

2. Average rating of the Top 20 albums of each year (if there are less than 20 in the Top, the average among them)

3. Evolution of the share by Sub-Genres in the Top 100 along the years

Let's have a first look, this graph shows, in red and measured in the left vertical axis, the number of albums per year with rating equal or higher than 4.00.
In green and measured on the right vertical axis, the average rating for the top 20 albums of the year

As a first comment on the data, one could say that by 1980 the number of very good albums was pretty low (only 16 equal or higher than 4.00), but the average quality was still quite high (4.14 average of the top 20 albums). The average quality would drop dramatically to 3.68 by 1983, apparently the worst year in Prog's history.

It would also seem that as from 2004 we are blessed with a lot of great albums per year (with the exception of 2010 which apparently was a weak year) although the average quality still has some trouble matching that of the golden years 1972 - 1975, with 1972 having the highest average rating, 4.30.

For those interested, here are the figures for the graph

Another fact from the data, if you want to get all the albums with rating equal or higher than 4.00, you will need to have 1083 albums.

I could make many other comments from this data but I prefer to leave it for discussion and debate by the members Wink

The other thing I checked is the distribution of Sub-Genres in the Top 100 per year (or less if there are less than 100 in a given year). This graph shows it (note that years go from bottom to top). Sub-genres are represented by colours as shown in the legend at the right side.

Maybe some interesting facts about this one:

- Neo-Prog appears for the first time in the Top 100 in 1982 with Twelfth Night's Fact and Fiction and East's Huseg.
- Progressive Metal appears in 1984 with Queensryche's The Warning
- Tech-Extreme appears only one year later, in 1985, with Watchtower's Energetic Disassembly
- Experimental / Post Metal first appears in 1992 with Neurosis' Souls At Zero
- Post Rock / Math is the last sub-genre to appear, in 1994, with 3 albums, Ulver's Bergtatt, Bark Psychosis' Hex and Tortoise's selftitled. So it's 20 years since the last Sub-Genre appeared in PA.

- It seems that in the overall picture, the sub-genres being most displaced (as % of course) are Jazz-Rock/Fusion and RIO/Avant, which having occupied up to 40% of the Top 100 even by 1980, take just 5% in 2014.

Here are the data figures for this graph. Green shows the first year when the sub-genre appears in the Top 100, and orange shows the peak year where the sub-genre reached its highest share in the total.

Now it's up to you members to throw any comments and start any debates these figures may suggest to you! Tongue

BTW, note to the Admins: it took me a bit of patience to work this out, I wonder if there's any way to access the PA's databases more easily in order to play with the data and have some interesting discussions based on data from them. One of my frequent tasks at my previous job was data analysis from relational databases so I can have fun playing with data and building up statistics.

Edited by Gerinski - December 29 2014 at 11:09
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2014 at 09:47
Sorry I don't seem to be able to show the graphs and data tables in larger size, they are big in the source file but they become smaller when displayed, I'l try to fix it. Suggestions welcome.
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2014 at 10:39
Very cool. Clap.  I'm a data analysis guy myself.

I'd like to look at your findings more closely, when I have time.  Your conclusions do seem to be in line with what one might expect.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
silverpot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2014 at 10:50
Thanks a lot for your effort Gerinsky. Star
Very interesting, especially the distribution of sub-genres.
Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2014 at 11:00
Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

Very cool. Clap.  I'm a data analysis guy myself.

I'd like to look at your findings more closely, when I have time.  Your conclusions do seem to be in line with what one might expect.

I love stats and will look more closely at this later on.
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2014 at 11:07
It's just too bad I can't get the graphs and figures look bigger on the screen, I'm afraid the figures are hardly visible at all. I don't know why this happens, the source pics are big but they are shown smaller in the thread Cry
addictedtoprog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2014 at 11:09
Hmm...intresting..
Great work Gerinski.
addictedtoprog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2014 at 11:13
As Guldbamsem said in the other thread..too much 5 star ratings being awarded offlate to newer albums.
Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2014 at 11:23
I still think 1987 is possibly the worst year with only eight albums showing and the eighth is a 3.28 rating.
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2014 at 11:28
Originally posted by Mellotron Storm Mellotron Storm wrote:

I still think 1987 is possibly the worst year with only eight albums showing and the eighth is a 3.28 rating.
Indeed the worst year in terms of quantity, but it still had 5 albums >= 4.00 and an average top of 3.93, while 1983 had only 3 albums >= 4.00 and an average of only 3.85
Argonaught View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2014 at 11:35
^ When it comes to ratings, a devoted fan community is a mighty force to reckon with. In the PA 2014 Top 100 there are a few albums that have less than 50 ratings, but most of them are 4 and above. Despite the QWR damper formula this indeed can secure a respectable position in the Top 100. 

Does this mean that the PA community broadly recognizes these albums as no less than "highly recommended addition to a anyone's prog collection", or that most of the members simply are not interested in investing any effort into listening to these albums, much less rating/reviewing them? Out of curiosity, I have sampled a few of the Top 100, <50 ratings albums and, frankly, I haven't found any "hidden gems". Some of the obscure albums I did purchase (and liked), e.g. SOT's Redwing Nest, will never make it into the Top 100. 

Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2014 at 11:37
Maybe also worth mentioning is the big drop in 2014 for 'Albums rated >= 4.00", from 68 albums in 2013 to only 17 albums in 2014, while the average quality of the Top 100 stays very high, 4,13 for 2014 and 4.15 for 2013.

So lots of pretty good albums in 2014 but most of them staying just below the 4.00 threshold. Perhaps related to the rating system? 
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2014 at 11:38
The colors are pretty. 

Embarrassed
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
Moogtron III View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2014 at 11:53
Wow, some great work there! Cool, Gerinski Clap
earlyprog View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Neo / PSIKE / Heavy Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2014 at 12:41
I did a similar analysis on PA about two years ago. Will find it and compare.
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2014 at 15:01
Originally posted by Gerinski Gerinski wrote:

I know statistics have only the value you want to give them, and even more when they are about some rather arbitrary data system as PA, but I had some time to kill so I checked some data of PA's Top Albums by year and made a couple of statistics, just for some fun and hopefully fueling some debate (I know Pedro 'Moshkito' will yell at the Top Albums stuff Wink).
Holy crap man it's the holidays! I  didn't think I'd have to do stats!

For those interested, here are the figures for the graph
Hold on a second dude let me grab my electron microscope for those figures there.

Another fact from the data, if you want to get all the albums with rating equal or higher than 4.00, you will need to have 1083 albums.
Just 83 more to go.Thumbs Up

OOOOOWWWW AAAAHHHHHHH!!
The Colours...the coloursWacko

Maybe some interesting facts about this one:So it's 20 years since the last Sub-Genre appeared in PA.
Not nearly long enough. Let's roll the clock back to 1985

One of my frequent tasks at my previous job was data analysis from relational databases so I can have fun playing with data and building up statistics.
Does your health care cover this affliction?LOL

Edited by JD - December 29 2014 at 15:02
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
Smurph View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2014 at 15:27
I Just got a statistics boner
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2014 at 15:36
Looks like Krautrock doesn't exist in recent yearsShockedCry

“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Tuzvihar View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2014 at 15:53

Sorry I don't seem to be able to show the graphs and data tables in larger size, they are big in the source file but they become smaller when displayed, I'l try to fix it. Suggestions welcome.

If you right-click on a pic and choose the option "Show the picture" from the context menu then the pic is shown in a correct size.
"Music is much like f**king, but some composers can't climax and others climax too often, leaving themselves and the listener jaded and spent."

Charles Bukowski
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2014 at 15:56
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Looks like Krautrock doesn't exist in recent yearsShockedCry

Yeah, Progressive Electronic is pretty absent too...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>