Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Does Form Still Follow Function? Technology & Art
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDoes Form Still Follow Function? Technology & Art

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Does Form Still Follow Function? Technology & Art
    Posted: January 06 2015 at 10:38
I've read various posts lately with sometimes conflicting but valid opinions regarding the importance or even the need for technology in an art such as music and singing.

As a technician, my base view on this type of thinking may be prejudiced. However, it is difficult for me to envision someone playing a piano if a piano was not built first. This to me is not an open ended question such as "What came first, the chicken or the egg?"

The building of the piano came first and then it was played, in that specific order.

To me, art rests on the foundation of technology. This may develop into some form of symbiotic relationship after, but the nuts and bolts must proceed G cliffs and notes.

What is your opinion regarding technology and it's relationship to art. All art.

Edited by SteveG - January 06 2015 at 13:50
King Only View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2015 at 10:47
But why would anyone build a musical instrument unless they had the desire to create music? The only possible purpose for a musical instrument is to create music. So music technology is a result of a desire to create music. It's not like somebody built a piano and then coincidentally realized that it could be used to create music.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2015 at 10:50
^Correct, but still no music could be made without the piano. Is being inventive also being artistic?
Walton Street View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2015 at 10:52
it was also a progression - not suddenly a piano ..

first people clapped and stomped and sang,
people banged rocks and sticks together ...
some made different, more interesting noises than the others so that was explored.
You can see the progression ...

The desire to expand on the music people were already making created the demand for the technology

"I know one thing: that I know nothing"

- SpongeBob Socrates
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2015 at 10:57
^Agreed. But I'm going to play devil's advocate here and say that once man realized he could make a line in the sand straighter, easier and deeper with a stick, technology quickly took over.

Edited by SteveG - January 06 2015 at 10:58
King Only View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2015 at 11:11
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

^Correct, but still no music could be made without the piano. Is being inventive also being artistic?

I definitely believe that being inventive is a valuable talent, but it's science rather than art. I'm not saying that art is more valuable than science. But it's a different kind of skill. I think it's a problem that mass media often portrays artists as geniuses, it's overly romantic. But the best person to make a tool is not necessarily the best person at using that tool. And vice versa. I mean what use is a beautiful instrument without someone capable of playing it well? I'm sure that engineers are happy when people use the things they have built. And I'm sure that most users of tools eventually come to appreciate the effort that went into making the technology.

How many great pieces of music did Robert Moog or Rupert Neve write? Probably none.
How many synthesizers did Vangelis build? None. How many electric guitars or microphones or amplifiers did Jimi Hendrix build? None. 
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2015 at 11:14
^A good post with strong points worth contemplating. Thanks for your feedback, King Only.
King Only View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2015 at 11:16

once man realized he could make a line in the sand straighter, easier and deeper with a stick, technology quickly took over.

I don't think that 'man' and 'technology' are separate things. Technology is part of us,in a way even our natural bodies and our brains are a kind of technology (in my opinion).
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2015 at 11:20
"Technology" is really just another word for anything that is created for a functional purpose (edit: a similar, yet distinct point from that being made by King Only above - whose post I did not see until after my orig post) - like the stick you mentioned drawing a line in the sand, that was one of the first "tools" ever conceived by our species.  So really, practically anything can be described as technology, and with that view, then of course music making cannot precede it.  But that's not a particularly useful piece of information by itself.

Maybe the question, then, is whether one could CONCEIVE of music (i.e. the cognitive "dreaming up" of music) without necessarily having the tools (yet) to play it.  Let's say I sat down and tried to dream up a piece of music using timbres and tones that have NEVER been used before - because no instrument yet exists that can make those exact sounds.  Would I be able to do it?  Of course I would, because I'm a genius.  But seriously, could I?  I'm going to fix a tall glass of water and ponder this for a bit.

Edited by HolyMoly - January 06 2015 at 11:21
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2015 at 11:23
^I agree that the use of technical means is inherent in Man. But again, I stress that that use superseded the Man's interest in art. It was first used for the preservation of life and the formation of weapons for defense.
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2015 at 11:23
I see the two as symbiotic, the desire to create and advance art has resulted in new technology to create new sounds and the desire to advance the technology to do things better has opened the door to an ever more diverse aray of art. For millenia the two have been feeding off each other and will likely continue to do so.
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2015 at 11:25
Originally posted by sleeper sleeper wrote:

I see the two as symbiotic, the desire to create and advance art has resulted in new technology to create new sounds and the desire to advance the technology to do things better has opened the door to an ever more diverse aray of art. For millenia the two have been feeding off each other and will likely continue to do so.
I think this is the answer I was trying to come up with in my own post.  Bravo. Clap
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2015 at 11:26
Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

"Technology" is really just another word for anything that is created for a functional purpose (edit: a similar, yet distinct point from that being made by King Only above - whose post I did not see until after my orig post) - like the stick you mentioned drawing a line in the sand, that was one of the first "tools" ever conceived by our species.  So really, practically anything can be described as technology, and with that view, then of course music making cannot precede it.  But that's not a particularly useful piece of information by itself.

Maybe the question, then, is whether one could CONCEIVE of music (i.e. the cognitive "dreaming up" of music) without necessarily having the tools (yet) to play it.  Let's say I sat down and tried to dream up a piece of music using timbres and tones that have NEVER been used before - because no instrument yet exists that can make those exact sounds.  Would I be able to do it?  Of course I would, because I'm a genius.  But seriously, could I?  I'm going to fix a tall glass of water and ponder this for a bit.
Good point Steve, but I have  the feeling, and it's only a feeling, that tones and pitch and the like were discovered by accident and not thought of in advance. There's no proof to this but it seems sensible to me.

This is a response to Sleeper's assertion regarding symbiotic relationships too.

Your hammering a piece of steel and one day it produces a note and then a symbiotic relationship could follow.

Edited by SteveG - January 06 2015 at 11:28
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2015 at 11:30
Wasn't creating the first flute from a bone a form of technology? I don't think we can draw a separation line. Wood? electricity? electronics? computers? You need a lot of technology to create and build a church organ, isn't it?
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2015 at 11:33

^Yes, Luca. It was only my point to emphasize the importance of technology in art and that it may have even proceeded it. But yes, they are intertwined to me.

King Only View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2015 at 11:48

It was only my point to emphasize the importance of technology in art and that it may have even proceeded it. But yes, they are intertwined to me. 

I'm sure that the very first music made by humans would have been vocal, so I don't think you can say that technology proceeded music. But in terms of modern music, of course technology is essential.

Probably the very first art was just people using their fingers to draw in mud and sand. No tools required.

And literature was originally just spoken stories, passed on from person to person orally. There are cultures that had no written languages but they still had a rich tradition of storytelling but they didn't have books or pens or paper etc.

Edited by King Only - January 06 2015 at 11:48
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2015 at 11:55
^Good point but I believe that humans or, more correctly proto humans, may have used tools before they could speak, so tech still seems to come first.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Rick Robson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2015 at 16:04
SteveG, I believe that it's important to have in mind that the technology in music wouldn't have evolved without the composers often writing visionary "music of the future" (kind of composing very much with contemporary instruments in mind.) This happened for instance with the piano, as I read in Wiki it has evolved technologically more than any other musical instrument, such in a way that it caused quite a few changes in the playing style of a performer when he attempts to render on a modern piano works written for earlier ones.

But anyway I agree that the engineering aspect of creation must have come first, Da Vinci came to mind as an expert in both fields (engineering and arquitecture.)

Edited by Rick Robson - January 06 2015 at 16:04

"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." LvB
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2015 at 16:09
^Yes, Rick. Da Vinci does appear as appear as one who fully integrated both fields equally. Great point. 
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2015 at 16:16
I read the other day that piano sales are at an all time low. Technology has trumped form and function:

Rather sad, in a sense. Sort of like the demise of door-to-door Encyclopedia Britannica salesmen. Dead 
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>