Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhat is "prog" about Tool and similar bands?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 1.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2015 at 10:04
^As Sonia would say: " to the naughty corner for us."

Edited by SteveG - January 09 2015 at 10:05
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2015 at 10:07
Well that goes for me too then
I am just as bad at derailing threads.

Anyway back to the topic people
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2015 at 10:10
Tool:  I have tried once again to listen to Lateralus, and prog or not, I've got to say I don't think I will ever enjoy this style of music. Ouch.  I will say they are excellent at what they do, and they are prog.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2015 at 10:14
^They're not on the top of my hit parade either Steve, but at least you gave them a second chance.
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2015 at 10:15
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

^They're not on the top of my hit parade either Steve, but at least you gave them a second chance.
More like 7th chance.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2015 at 10:17
^LOL Enough said.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2015 at 10:25
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

I think Undertow is a somewhat overlooked Tool album Steve. It's not as weird as what came after but it is on the other hand not as exhaustive. The melodies as well as the snarly post-punk feel I get from the guitar make this into one of my faves from them. Then again, it was the first album I got of theirs too, so that might be why I have a soft spot for it.

Trust me, Undertow is and has never been an overlooked album. It put them on the map. It made a noticeable splash in 1993 and the videos for "Sober" and "Prison Sex" got plenty of airplay on the eMpTyVee. Virtually everyone I met liked Tool as a result of that album, and then went back and bought their debut EP Opiate.

As far as weird goes, I think Undertow, AEnima and Lateralus are fairly consistent, the latter two are less straightforward but there's nothing as drastic as going from Drama to 90125. LOL

I confess I don't think the last album was too hot. Several really good songs, but overall a disappointment compared to the previous three albums.
FragileKings View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2015 at 02:50
I have only Aenima so I can't speak for other albums, but when I first starting discovering which bands I knew were considered prog, I thought I would see if Tool were on PA and they are. To me, one important factor for being prog is writing music that explores possibilities outside of the standard song format. That can mean longer track lengths, more complex compositions, very technical playing, or lots of imagination. On Aenima, Tool dispose of a lot of standard song format ideas. They simplify by repeating a bass theme while changing music intensity, they change tempo, ignore choruses, add spoken parts and sound effects, play with recording techniques and generally create songs and music that make the album more of a journey rather than just a collection of songs. That's my general impression, though I haven't listened to that album all the way through now for a few years.
I used to be a fan of particular bands like Rush, Yes, and Deep Purple. Now I travel the Proglands, exploring a little bit of everything. I have become a Prog Voyager.
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2015 at 03:11
Originally posted by FragileKings FragileKings wrote:

(...) To me, one important factor for being prog is writing music that explores possibilities outside of the standard song format. That can mean longer track lengths, more complex compositions, very technical playing, or lots of imagination. (...) On Aenima, Tool dispose of a lot of standard song format ideas. (...)
I suppose that you've been skipping this all the time.

FragileKings View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2015 at 03:30
Ha, ha! Not skipping it all the time. But I listen to the tracks at the beginning more than the tracks at the end. Still, when I'm in the mood, I like this song!
I used to be a fan of particular bands like Rush, Yes, and Deep Purple. Now I travel the Proglands, exploring a little bit of everything. I have become a Prog Voyager.
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2015 at 04:41
Great prog is about strong melody coming from jazz/classical influences combined with rock/folk. Tool have none of that so that makes them pretty sh*te

Edited by dr prog - January 10 2015 at 04:41
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2015 at 04:52
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

I think Undertow is a somewhat overlooked Tool album Steve. It's not as weird as what came after but it is on the other hand not as exhaustive. The melodies as well as the snarly post-punk feel I get from the guitar make this into one of my faves from them. Then again, it was the first album I got of theirs too, so that might be why I have a soft spot for it.

Trust me, Undertow is and has never been an overlooked album. It put them on the map. It made a noticeable splash in 1993 and the videos for "Sober" and "Prison Sex" got plenty of airplay on the eMpTyVee. Virtually everyone I met liked Tool as a result of that album, and then went back and bought their debut EP Opiate.

As far as weird goes, I think Undertow, AEnima and Lateralus are fairly consistent, the latter two are less straightforward but there's nothing as drastic as going from Drama to 90125. LOL

I confess I don't think the last album was too hot. Several really good songs, but overall a disappointment compared to the previous three albums.

I know they hit it (somewhat) big with Undertow, which probably is why I noticed them in the first place, but most fans of the band these days have a tendency to overlook ir for the subsequent three albums. -Well at least the people I've met who're hugely into the band. Might be the other way around elsewhere, I can't say for sure.

This was always my fave off it (maybe you'll like this one Steve?):

“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2015 at 05:15
Tools vocals are atrocious when he screams. Very much like foo fighter screams. Absolute tripe
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2015 at 05:23
Originally posted by dr prog dr prog wrote:

Great prog is about strong melody coming from jazz/classical influences combined with rock/folk. (...)
Nah. Strong melodies in "Great prog" (i.e. 70s Symph, right? lol) comes mainly from its pop roots.
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2015 at 07:34
Last time I looked, this thread is not about whether Tool are good or bad - it's about whether they are prog or not. Personally, I have never managed to get into Tool, but I do not doubt for a second that they are prog. Many of the bands other PA members rave about bore me to tears, but I have never questioned their right to be labeled as prog.
Greg W View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2015 at 08:23
Are they always prog? No. Then again neither is Genesis,Yes, ELP, or Jethro Tull, so I say yes indeed, they are progressive metal.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2015 at 11:45

Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

I know they hit it (somewhat) big with Undertow, which probably is why I noticed them in the first place, but most fans of the band these days have a tendency to overlook ir for the subsequent three albums. -Well at least the people I've met who're hugely into the band. Might be the other way around elsewhere, I can't say for sure.

That would really surprise me. Imagine Caress of Steel being overlooked...nope! Tool is a band with only four full albums since 1993 (and the 4th is already a decade old). That's an average of an album every 5.5 years. Every Tool fan knows all their albums. They need to get off their arses (or Maynard needs to stop hiding in his groves) and wrap the new album. For a band whose players can cite Rush as an influence, you'd think they'd note how productive those "old" guys are. LOL 
Free like an Hydra View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2015 at 14:33
They've always been one of my favourite bands, when not THE favourite one, but I've never seen them as a prog ensemble, in a 70s sense. More like alternative metal. If you consider calm-storm-building climaxes and non-traditional song structures as prog, then sure, they have that aspect in many songs. Anyway, a lot of the 70s prog rock dinosaurs, while in progs peak (first half of 70s), wrote many pop and rock songs.

For me it's kinda like what Gazpacho are for indie and alternative rock.

Edited by Free like an Hydra - January 11 2015 at 14:39
Kentucky_Hawkwindage View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2015 at 15:49
Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

Tool:  I have tried once again to listen to Lateralus, and prog or not, I've got to say I don't think I will ever enjoy this style of music. Ouch.  I will say they are excellent at what they do, and they are prog.
I don't like Tool song for song but what songs of theirs i like i really like! Stinkfist,Aenema,The Pot might be my favorite Tool tracks plus a few more.I shall avoid trying to explain the prog aspect though.
"Nobody's Gonna Change My World That's Something To Unreal"   Lyrics that i live my life by-from Black Sabbath's Technical Ecstasy's track You Won't Change Me
manofmystery View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2015 at 16:10
Don't believe any metal should also be considered prog but that's a music argument that was apparently lost long before I joined this site.

Time always wins.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>