Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhat is "prog" about Tool and similar bands?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 1.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
bhikkhu View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2015 at 18:26
I could argue that Tool is not prog, and no I don't like them. I am however VERY objective when it comes to assessment. Because so many people bug me about it I have gone back to Tool time and time again. Still I don't "get" it, and that is why I won't argue against them. My lack of understanding removes any credibility my opinion may have. They are considered one of the original prog-metal bands and that decision was made by people much more qualified than I on the subject. 

Rock on Tool fans!!Thumbs Up

timothy leary View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2015 at 18:33
Does Tool sing about elves and gnomes? No. So they aren't prog. Well wait......they have cool album covers so maybe they are a little proggy.
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2015 at 19:01
Cos they're proggy.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2015 at 19:39
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

I posted a question last year asking what PA members thought of Tool, I.E. if they liked or disliked them.

It never occurred to me to question if the band's music was progressive as I simply took to be. This is due to their later album output which showcases extended songs with numerous time signature changes and other features that are generally indentified as progressive.

What is your definition of Progressive Rock would be a better question.
That, and their friendship with Robert Fripp and their avowed influence from King Crimson.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Metalmarsh89 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2015 at 19:50
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

As I have said elsewhere, when I review I often use the term "non-mainstream music" rather than progressive (let alone prog) to emphasize how those bands or artists - while they may not sound like their Seventies counterparts - are purveyors of music that does not aim to be a mere commodity.

That being said, of course Tool are not "prog". Besides the extended running time of their songs, the time signature changes, and the esoteric subject matter, they do not sound like any bands from the Seventies - which is the necessary condition to be called "prog". Most of the truly interesting modern bands (such as Knifeworld or MoeTar, to name but two) are forging their own path, and very few (if any) echoes of classic prog can be found in their music. Do they deserve a spot here? If we consider prog as a genre with a number of more or less fixed stylistic features, they do not. If we are smart and care to see progressive music grow and prosper, of course they do.

Ow, My head hurts.

What if we don't consider prog a genre?
Want to play mafia? Visit here.
tamijo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2015 at 01:52
Confused  Still havent got any news from the starter of this, does he love TOOL, but hate the fact that they are consideret Prog, because they are not. Or just that he dislikes TOOL, and the question then becomes silly.  
Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2015 at 02:41
He's been offline since posting his question, some people have lives outside the net ;)
ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2015 at 03:39
The music. 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2015 at 05:59
Some prog connoisseurs are really gripped by terrible histeria these days, that they are roaring now that the progressive / experimental metal sub-genre ("...and similar bands?" Wink ) ought to be ejected out of prog. It's a real grotesque.
This is a PROG about Tool, for example.
Argonaught View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2015 at 06:58
Originally posted by Angelo Angelo wrote:

some people have lives outside the net ;)

Yep, I remember hearing something about this .. real life with rotary phones, paper (!) books, typewriters, pendulum clocks and music on dinner plate-size pieces of plastic.  
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2015 at 08:34
Originally posted by Angelo Angelo wrote:

He's been offline since posting his question, some people have lives outside the net ;)
Or a member of Tool made him disappear. Evil Smile
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
WeepingElf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2015 at 09:20
OK, I shall answer some of your questions.

You may have guessed it: I don't like Tool.  Or rather, I don't like what I have heard yet of Tool.  I haven't listened to everything they have put out.  Just five or six songs from various albums.

But that is not the reason why I don't consider them prog.  There is prog that I don't like much, such as most of Steven Wilson's stuff.  Sure, there is not much prog I don't like, but there is, and there is of course plenty of non-prog I like.

Progressive rock, to me, refers to a particular current within rock music that started with bands such as The Moody Blues, Procol Harum and later Yes, King Crimson and Pink Floyd in late-60s England, and spread to other countries from there.  And I feel that Tool is, though in some points influenced by it, not part of that current.  Nor are those bands who make similar music.

The reason why I don't consider Tool prog is that much of what characterizes and constitutes prog is IMHO missing, most importantly the changeful dramaturgy and, especially relevant, the spirit of classical progressive rock.  Granted, this spirit has attenuated in later prog, but usually, it is still there.  There is nothing of it in Tool.

So, what is this "spirit"?  It is the notion that progressive rock is progressive in three ways:

1. It is musically progressive in breaking out of the "radio single" mold, towards sophisticated musical and lyrical structure.

2. It is technologically progressive in embracing new music technologies, such as synthesizers and recording procedures.

3. It is socially progressive in taking a critical but non-cynical stance on bourgeois society, championing change to a freer and more equitable society, and being sensitive to social, environmental and related issues.

Sure, these three ways of being progressive are not equally strong in all progressive rock (especially the last of the three has attenuated considerably), but to some degree, they are there.

Tool certainly do very much their own thing.  My first encounter with them was in the early 90s in a TV music magazine, when they made what I remember as some sort of industrial metal.  They have changed considerably since then.  I also don't deny that they are influenced by progressive rock.  But they are perhaps as much progressive rock as English is a Romance language.

... brought to you by the Weeping Elf

"What does Elvish rock music sound like?" - "Yes."

SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2015 at 09:23

I don't know how old you are as that would be a help to me, as I'm in my sixties, and have seen Progressive Rock evolve from it's purely classical base to include influences once thought of a crude and 'outside' of what should belong in Progressive Rock such as Technical Death Metal and the like, which is progressive in it's own way. This newer type of progressive music doesn't necessary conform to the 'Classic' definition of Progressive Rock that began in the late sixties and flourished in radio and record sales in the seventies. Bands such as Yes, Genesis and the like.

There is even an unwritten understanding that many of these 'outside' influenced groups are classified simply as the four letter word Prog, instead of Progressive Rock to help distinguish the older 'Classic' Progressive Rock from the newer.

I hope I was of some help. (And that my statements are correct as I'm new to this sub genre world of newer Prog, also!)

Edited by SteveG - January 08 2015 at 10:23
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2015 at 10:26
Tool is progressive! To be honest i didn't like them at first either. They grew on me after i just let go and enjoyed them for what they were instead of wanting them to be more progressive in some other ways. Yeah they can be repetitive but they use a repertoire of unusual time signatures including using hitherto (as far as i know) used timings like those based on the Fibonacci sequence:1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13, 21, 34, 55, 89, 144, 233, 377 etc. Tool's progressiveness may be subtler than more in your face bands because they dress in an alternative rock sound but if you really dig into the compositions you can not deny the progressive qualities embedded within. 
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2015 at 10:38
Also why are you going off on a tangent when you have even listened to their albums? Its obvious what makes them progressive when you do your homework. The site has included them for a reason. Instead of trying to come up with arguments against why dont you just take the time to get to know the music first?
Stool Man View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2015 at 11:56
Tchaikovsky's 1812 Overture isn't prog either, despite being quite long with various time signatures, and incorporating bells and cannon, as well as brass and woodwind.
Big smile

Edited by Stool Man - January 08 2015 at 11:56
rotten hound of the burnie crew
Stool Man View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2015 at 12:06
Originally posted by timothy leary timothy leary wrote:

......they have cool album covers so maybe they are a little proggy.

Just because an album cover is cool doesn't mean the music is even remotely proggy.  Hipgnosis famously designed the covers of such prog classics as Dark Side Of The Moon, Going For The One, and The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway, among others.  This doesn't mean that others albums with Hipgnosis covers are in any way progesque.
Similarly, Roger Dean's artwork for Asia does not mean they are at all prog LOL
rotten hound of the burnie crew
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2015 at 13:45
Originally posted by Stool Man Stool Man wrote:

Tchaikovsky's 1812 Overture isn't prog either, despite being quite long with various time signatures, and incorporating bells and cannon, as well as brass and woodwind.
Big smile
We could also include Carl Orff in Zeuhl...seriously.
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
timothy leary View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2015 at 14:00

Originally posted by timothy leary timothy leary wrote:

......they have cool album covers so maybe they are a little proggy.

Just because an album cover is cool doesn't mean the music is even remotely proggy.  Hipgnosis famously designed the covers of such prog classics as Dark Side Of The Moon, Going For The One, and The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway, among others.  This doesn't mean that others albums with Hipgnosis covers are in any way progesque.
Similarly, Roger Dean's artwork for Asia does not mean they are at all prog LOL
Thanks for clearing that up for me.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2015 at 14:08

Big smile

Actually its quite progressive but its not ROCK! This is a prog rock site and if it was created in a rock context i m sure it would certainly be here
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>