Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMahavishnu Orchestra

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2015 at 01:30
I like that Mahavishnu records all sounded and felt live.  Yes, there are occasional overdubs, but there is no doubt that most of it went down live.  I don't feel that energy of live interplay in much modern prog for instance.  DT sounds like a great studio offering all synced up nicely with click tracks and endless digital editing.  Today's standard for high production sounds completely sterilized when compared to a listen to Mahavishnu.  They were a great live band that delivered.  Mahavishu doesn't come across to me as showboating.  I think what they were doing was creating a high energy interplay for the listener, that worked as a texture more than a "look at me" vibe.  It sounds musical.  There are gorgeous passages of slower music then contrasting with fast then frenetic.  They were going for full spectrum. 

I don't the the jazz thing either.  I don't hear anything that sounds like traditional jazz music.  The band is driven by Cobham who has jazz chops for speed, but plays with rock energy completely.

I personally prefer the later version with Ponty and Narada Walden on drum kit.  It's much more refined and anyone here who hasn't checked them out yet should listen to "Visions of the Emerald Beyond" first, then Apocalypse, and if you like those albums, then go back to Birds of Fire and Inner Mounting Flame.

Check out "Devotion"If you like the first two, (Birds, and Inner Mounting) there is another great album called "My Goals Beyond"where McLaughlin did two solo albums that set the groundwork sound for Mahavishnu.

If you get into "Visions of the Emerald Beyond" then make sure to check out Jeff Beck's "Wired" where he basically took Jan Hammer and Narada Walden from Mahavishu for his own.  It's a similar style but with Jeff Beck on guitar instead of John McLaughlin.  Beck followed with his classic "Blow by Blow".  That was the pinnacle of his career in my opinion.

Edited by Skullhead - January 11 2015 at 01:34
LearsFool View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2015 at 01:39
^ Probably the biggest thing the band took from their jazz background was a semi-improvisational nature that resists overdubs, which musicians and fans of the genre particularly loathed - many jazz fans went nuclear when Miles did some overdubbing on Bitches Brew, for further example.

Mainly because of McLaughlin, they ended up favouring rock elements over jazz elements, in spite of their backgrounds. Must have something to do with McLaughlin honing his skills with bands like The Graham Bond Organisation before Tony Williams found him.
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2015 at 01:45
Originally posted by Lear'sFool Lear'sFool wrote:

(...) Mainly because of McLaughlin, they ended up favouring rock elements over jazz elements, in spite of their backgrounds. Must have something to do with McLaughlin honing his skills with bands like The Graham Bond Organisation (....)
Of course; he was there with Jack Bruce and Ginger Baker Wink

Edited by Svetonio - January 11 2015 at 01:48
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2015 at 02:46
Originally posted by Skullhead Skullhead wrote:

(...) 

I don't the the jazz thing either.  I don't hear anything that sounds like traditional jazz music.  The band is driven by Cobham who has jazz chops for speed, but plays with rock energy completely.

I personally prefer the later version with Ponty and Narada Walden on drum kit.  It's much more refined and anyone here who hasn't checked them out yet should listen to "Visions of the Emerald Beyond" first, then Apocalypse, and if you like those albums, then go back to Birds of Fire and Inner Mounting Flame.

Check out "Devotion"If you like the first two, (Birds, and Inner Mounting) there is another great album called "My Goals Beyond"where McLaughlin did two solo albums that set the groundwork sound for Mahavishnu.

If you get into "Visions of the Emerald Beyond" then make sure to check out Jeff Beck's "Wired" where he basically took Jan Hammer and Narada Walden from Mahavishu for his own.  It's a similar style but with Jeff Beck on guitar instead of John McLaughlin.  Beck followed with his classic "Blow by Blow".  That was the pinnacle of his career in my opinion.
John McLaughlin's solo album simply called Electric Guitarist (1978) is way better than all the Mahavisnu Orchestra's post-Birds of Fire 'ultra-spiritual' albums that sounds today to me like a 'classic' World Fusion stuff, not as jazz-rock as well.

Sadly enough, Electric Guitarist  was released in the middle of New Wave mass-hysteria and that great album was (and sadly still to be) underrated as much as the Mahavishnu Orchestra's albums from their 'hyper-spiritual' and pretty new-agey phase that were overrated at the time they were recorded & released.
Just my opinion, of course.

Edited by Svetonio - January 11 2015 at 06:17
Skullhead View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2015 at 09:49
There is an honesty in the feel of the recordings of Mahavishnu that I don't hear from Weather Report or Return to Forever, Brand X etc.  The typical jazz fusion stuff started trying to fuse that loose improv style with Steely Dan production values.  It all sounds a bit sterile and over produced.  I suspect that was one of the reasons Punk Rock took off.  People got tired of perfectly produced albums that not only came across as pretentious but for all intent and purpose were pretentious.  A lot of the prog went down that wormhole to, and that continues to this day.

I would love to hear a quality new prog band just get back to basics and lay down their recording live with some of that passion and feel that Mahavishnu did so well.  There is something about that era and the limitations that were just part of that era kept things sounding more honest and natural.  I like the early Pink Floyd stuff for that reason also.

Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2015 at 12:01
Originally posted by dr prog dr prog wrote:

Originally posted by Argonaught Argonaught wrote:

I can't speak for the humankind in general, but I could tell you why I never listen to Mahavishnu Orchestra (while recognizing their talent and innovation). Based on the Birds, Emerald, Flame and another album, the name of which I forgot;

Goodman's violentin is highly irritating; things got better wtih J-L.P, but I prefer his solo albums.
McLaughlin's guitar is highly irritating; he gets mellower and more listenable towards the Radioland.
Cobham's drumming is highly irritating, with Maha or solo.

They create a ragged, jagged, serrated pile-up of sound that takes too much effort to process. 

I agree but I do like cobhams drumming. I think Inner worlds is their best album. It's more relaxed, has no violin from what I remember and has some catchy moments
I agree.
Btw, I love Vital Transformation  from Inner Worlds  the album. I think that this is one of few The Mahavisnu Orchestra's "straight in the face" jazz-rock tracks that could be comparable to Return to Forever's amazing & timeless Vulcan Worlds  (from Where Have I Know You Before, composed by Stanley Clarke) of which I think that it's the best 70s jazz-rock track.

Edited by Svetonio - January 11 2015 at 12:05
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2015 at 12:06
Well....I don't think they lasted long enough (consistent..) in a trad sense to become one of the prog greats and it's has been pointed out they were fusion more than prog, but the first 2 albums are a must for any  collector of fusion/prog . There are tracks on those that are as good as anything the so-called prog greats did.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
petewhit View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2015 at 13:12
Mahavishnu is fusion not prog rock.  In my opinion The Inner Mounting Flame and Birds of Fire were the best and it went down from there.  Some bands are destined for a short lifespan, especially a band with the intensity of the Mahavishnu Orchestra.  

Edited by petewhit - January 11 2015 at 13:44
aglasshouse View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2015 at 16:43
Originally posted by petewhit petewhit wrote:

Some bands are destined for a short lifespan, especially a band with the intensity of the Mahavishnu Orchestra.  

I agree. There's always some point where the band flames out from way too much extreme savageness that they play. 
http://fryingpanmedia.com
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2015 at 19:49
Digging through my J/R/F albums (I wasn't sure from memory what I had) I came up with ---
Inner Worlds 
Between Nothingness & Eternity - live
John McLaughlin     His Acoustic Guitar - My Goal's Beyond

Jdenkevitz View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2015 at 21:08
I love apocalypse. Call it prog or fusion. It was an extremely brave album. It fails in certain sections, but in others parts it reaches a 'fusion' of instrumentation that has rarely been accomplished elsewhere. Some really haunting melodies. 

TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2015 at 21:49
--My Goal's Beyond--

I enjoyed side one with only John McLaughlin playing various acoustic guitar tracks.
Side two was acoustic guitar with the rest of the band and consisted of two long cuts. As mentioned by others here some of the other musicians were not always "comfortable" to listen to.
Skullhead View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2015 at 23:07
Originally posted by petewhit petewhit wrote:

Mahavishnu is fusion not prog rock.  In my opinion The Inner Mounting Flame and Birds of Fire were the best and it went down from there.  Some bands are destined for a short lifespan, especially a band with the intensity of the Mahavishnu Orchestra.  

Fusion?  Fusion of what? Jazz and rock? Where is the Jazz? Please explain.  The drums are not jazz, the bass is not jazz, the guitar is not jazz, keyboards?  Maybe slightly.  Violin? I don't hear anything along the lines of traditional jazz. 

Mahavishnu sounds as prog rock as anything I can imagine. 

Isn't prog rock a fusion of things also?  Rock and Classical, Jazz, Folk, Psychedelic, New Age, Electronica.

If there is any genre of music that should be labeled fusion it is prog rock.
LearsFool View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2015 at 00:34
^ That violin is more jazz then you think. Compare Jerry Goodman's violin with that of Jean-Luc Ponty - the violinist on Apocalypse and Visions, in fact, but see also Enigmatic Ocean - and contrast with that of David Cross.
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2015 at 01:02
Originally posted by Lear'sFool Lear'sFool wrote:

^ That violin is more jazz then you think. Compare Jerry Goodman's violin with that of Jean-Luc Ponty - the violinist on Apocalypse and Visions, in fact, but see also Enigmatic Ocean - and contrast with that of David Cross.
Exactly Clap
In fact, there were a lot of bands who were released their magnificent instrumental tracks that are jazz-rock / fusion, and though there is actually more rock than jazz, they still remain in a frame of jazz-rock / fusion genre.

tamijo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2015 at 02:03
Instrumental, think that is basicaly the answer. Very Very few instrumental albums will hit a broad span of listeners.
Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2015 at 03:02
Some of my favorite jazz-rock / fusion instrumental albums.

Scope - self titled
Scope - Scope II
Isotope - self titled
Isotope - Illusion
Bonfire - self titled
Flying Island - Another Kind Of Space
Energy - self titled
David Sancious - Transformation
Transit Express - Priglacit
Coryell & Catherine - Twin-house (acoustic)
Colosseum II - Electric Savage (w/Gary Moore)
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2015 at 12:08

I have wondered for years why MAHAVISHNU ORCHESTRA is not considered one of the giants of prog or spoken in the same light as YES, ELP, TULL, CRIMSON, GENTLE GIANT, PINK FLOYD.

I know the quick answer is going to be "it's jazz fusion".  But isn't King Crimson the prog version of jazz or filled with jazz?

This was a different situation because King Crimson won over the Americans with poetry and themes like In The Court Of The Crimson King, Pictures Of A City, 21st Century Schizoid Man, Strange album covers, Greg Lake's voice and the subtle mixture of acoustic guitar and Folk music blended through "Cadence and Cascade" etc. There was SO much emphasis placed upon that more so than King Crimson jamming on a swing beat with schizoid guitar and Jazz sax. Most people didn't think about their Jazz aspect in 1970. A majority of people looked upon them as an "Art Rock" band with the covers to boot...just like Pink Floyd and if they did sound jazzy, shame on them.

Mahavishnu, it certainly rocks.  It's totally cutting edge for the time.  Nearly every song is in an odd time signature.  Johnny Mac played a double neck guitar, so it even looks prog.  They toured extensively and sold a lot of albums.  We have extreme virtuosity on every chair, and beautiful passages of classical music influence woven into many of the pieces.  Beautiful melodic melodies that are more than memorable.

They were a huge influence on certain individuals who were vital to the Prog Rock world. Robert Fripp was interested in John McLaughlin's writing. This became more evident when King Crimson were touring in 73'/74'. Some of the Mahavishnu style of writing turned up on Larks Tongues In Aspic, Starless and Bible Black ..and Red. Mainly the style of a chord voice or a riff played in harmony by Robert Fripp and David Cross. Some Prog bands relied more on the melodic side to Mahavishnu's music. For example , pieces like "Sanctuary" and "Hope" come to mind. There are several sections existing within long pieces written by Dave Stewart from the first 2 National Health albums that haunt me as they have the definite Mahavishnu style. Happy The Man wrote several pieces for their debut and the Crafty Hands album that are like a pleasant visit from Mahavishnu. One particular track is "Carousel". Brand X often get carried away with emulation and there are times when I've heard it on recordings of Goblin.

One particular emulation that is extreme is heard on Guru, Guru's Dance Of The Flames with tracks like "The Day Of Timestop" and "God's Endless Love For Men". I recall sitting around with Jazz/fusion players the first time we all heard "Sound Chaser" by Yes. We just looked at each other , questioning what was going on. Really? Yes sounding like Mahavishnu? I believe that the style of writing on Inner Mounting Flame and Birds Of Fire entered it's way into Progressive Rock in the early to mid 70's and was a fragment of Progressive Rock writing. You could easily take the ideas behind Mahavishnu's music and adapt it to Progressive Rock pieces by utilizing it for sections. I've even ran across some of the old John McLaughlin chord progressions in the music of Univers Zero. He was highly influential to people as a writer. He sometimes wrote sections of music that were not exactly fitting stylistically to Jazz. Some of his chord progressions were based off Asian music and contained a spiritual tone. Evidently much of his writing can be attributed to the composition of Progressive Rock in the 70's. It was his original ideas that appealed to Progressive Rock bands. 

Birds of Fire, Inner Mounting Flame, Visions of the Emerald Beyond, Apocalypse.  

Assuming you are familiar with ALL of these works...
What is your take?

Skullhead View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2015 at 01:43
Originally posted by tamijo tamijo wrote:

Instrumental, think that is basicaly the answer. Very Very few instrumental albums will hit a broad span of listeners.

So Camel's Snow Goose should be considered Jazz fusion?
Skullhead View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2015 at 01:49
Originally posted by TODDLER TODDLER wrote:

I have wondered for years why MAHAVISHNU ORCHESTRA is not considered one of the giants of prog or spoken in the same light as YES, ELP, TULL, CRIMSON, GENTLE GIANT, PINK FLOYD.

I know the quick answer is going to be "it's jazz fusion".  But isn't King Crimson the prog version of jazz or filled with jazz?

This was a different situation because King Crimson won over the Americans with poetry and themes like In The Court Of The Crimson King, Pictures Of A City, 21st Century Schizoid Man, Strange album covers, Greg Lake's voice and the subtle mixture of acoustic guitar and Folk music blended through "Cadence and Cascade" etc. There was SO much emphasis placed upon that more so than King Crimson jamming on a swing beat with schizoid guitar and Jazz sax. Most people didn't think about their Jazz aspect in 1970. A majority of people looked upon them as an "Art Rock" band with the covers to boot...just like Pink Floyd and if they did sound jazzy, shame on them.

Mahavishnu, it certainly rocks.  It's totally cutting edge for the time.  Nearly every song is in an odd time signature.  Johnny Mac played a double neck guitar, so it even looks prog.  They toured extensively and sold a lot of albums.  We have extreme virtuosity on every chair, and beautiful passages of classical music influence woven into many of the pieces.  Beautiful melodic melodies that are more than memorable.

They were a huge influence on certain individuals who were vital to the Prog Rock world. Robert Fripp was interested in John McLaughlin's writing. This became more evident when King Crimson were touring in 73'/74'. Some of the Mahavishnu style of writing turned up on Larks Tongues In Aspic, Starless and Bible Black ..and Red. Mainly the style of a chord voice or a riff played in harmony by Robert Fripp and David Cross. Some Prog bands relied more on the melodic side to Mahavishnu's music. For example , pieces like "Sanctuary" and "Hope" come to mind. There are several sections existing within long pieces written by Dave Stewart from the first 2 National Health albums that haunt me as they have the definite Mahavishnu style. Happy The Man wrote several pieces for their debut and the Crafty Hands album that are like a pleasant visit from Mahavishnu. One particular track is "Carousel". Brand X often get carried away with emulation and there are times when I've heard it on recordings of Goblin.

One particular emulation that is extreme is heard on Guru, Guru's Dance Of The Flames with tracks like "The Day Of Timestop" and "God's Endless Love For Men". I recall sitting around with Jazz/fusion players the first time we all heard "Sound Chaser" by Yes. We just looked at each other , questioning what was going on. Really? Yes sounding like Mahavishnu? I believe that the style of writing on Inner Mounting Flame and Birds Of Fire entered it's way into Progressive Rock in the early to mid 70's and was a fragment of Progressive Rock writing. You could easily take the ideas behind Mahavishnu's music and adapt it to Progressive Rock pieces by utilizing it for sections. I've even ran across some of the old John McLaughlin chord progressions in the music of Univers Zero. He was highly influential to people as a writer. He sometimes wrote sections of music that were not exactly fitting stylistically to Jazz. Some of his chord progressions were based off Asian music and contained a spiritual tone. Evidently much of his writing can be attributed to the composition of Progressive Rock in the 70's. It was his original ideas that appealed to Progressive Rock bands. 

Birds of Fire, Inner Mounting Flame, Visions of the Emerald Beyond, Apocalypse.  

Assuming you are familiar with ALL of these works...
What is your take?

Very insightful post.  Thanks for taking the time to digest it.
I feel like those who write off Mahavishnu as not relevant to prog are making a mistake... or not doing their homework.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>