Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Why old prog - for me - is better than new prog
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhy old prog - for me - is better than new prog

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415 20>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2015 at 10:16
Originally posted by Walton Street Walton Street wrote:

excellent - the only thing missing would be the inventive intriguing lyrics, the sense of humor, the keyboards, gabriel's voice, the slow build to a climactic finish, the soul,

but other than than - it'd be pure Genesis

I hope those aren't excuses for not trying. Even if you're impressed, try it Walton...
Walton Street View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2015 at 10:18
I can't play anything but a turntable.
i'm a listener not a maker ..

it just sounds so trivial and simplistic ...
"I know one thing: that I know nothing"

- SpongeBob Socrates
jayem View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2015 at 10:23
Originally posted by Walton Street Walton Street wrote:

I can't play anything but a turntable.
i'm a listener not a maker ..

it just sounds so trivial and simplistic ...

It's less simplistic that it seems, because you have to know how to decipher a grid of chords in a "real book", in order to get some results...It won't sound like a 70's studio track of course, but you might be surprised. 

A piano will do, so anyone who plays a little jazz piano wouldn't regret trying, that is.

...Well ?
TradeMark0 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2015 at 10:27
For all those complaining that there is no more good prog, have you forgotten about Swans? There are other good bands too but they aren't on this site.
Skullhead View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2015 at 13:30
Originally posted by Gerinski Gerinski wrote:

I DO listen to new prog (within my budget capabilities and taste limitations), I support modern bands making progressive music, I have no big issue with bands using modern technology but don't like overproduced music which sounds excessively 'photoshopped' or DAW-made.

The issue for me is, I rarely find the inspiration and brilliance of ideas which the old classics had in their prime. I mean, when I listen to songs like The Grand Parade Of Lifeless Packaging, The Lamia, Trilogy, Long Distance Runaround and tens or even hundreds of others... it's not the analog sound or the technical wizardy which captivates me, it's just that I think "how the hell could they come up with something like this?!". It's the mix of originality and straight brilliance of the compositions which really amazes me, then as the icing in the cake comes that those guys were excellent players and the sound is natural and warm, but these are only accessories. It's the inspiration they had which amazes me.

And, I say very sadly, in modern prog I find many good music, sometimes original, sometimes with great skill, sometimes with good sound... but very very rarely do I find that kind of brilliant inspiration. In the 70s some of the known names released an album and you could buy it with confidence, many times you made a great purchase. In the last years I have spent quite a lot of money in albums I finally do not listen to because even if they are good, they don't really inspire me, and I become more and more wary of spending money in modern prog, I tend to listen to what I can in bandcamp, progstreaming etc, but not so much buying I must admit, because I'm afraid it's a waste of money, something I will not listen to anymore within one year, it's just adding jewel cases to my collection.

A proof that the key was 'inspiration' and not the competence of the musicians is that those same musicians who made all those great albums in the 70s, for the biggest part have been unable to produce comparable music once the muse of the time and the place and the spirit was gone. It's not enough being a good musician, you need to be touched by the muses in order to produce real masterpieces. And for whatever reason, the muses are not busy with prog right now. But kudos to the modern bands who try, we need them.

This is an excellent post.  I say that because it asks a further question.  WHY?
Why are newer bands lacking inspiration?  I think they lack creativity. 
Could it be that the new bands are listening to the older bands and say metal also, while the older bands didn't have metal around to be influenced by, but instead were listening more to experimental classical, Bartok etc.. and experimental jazz, Brubeck, Miles, etc?

Just an idea. 

Do the modern bands feel that everything has been done already?  Jon Anderson took a very different approach to lyrics than Peter Gabriel did.  Ian Anderson loved sarcasm.  Gentle Giant and Frank Zappa preferred silly lyrics mostly.  Pink Floyd kept things very psychedelic always with that twist to the lyrics that embraced some sort of surreal vision.

Those lyrical concepts across the top SHOULD effect the musicianship in one way or another.  It seems to me the music was much more conceptual meaning the artwork, the lyrics, the music all worked together.
I don't want to bash modern prog, I really don't but to my ears I keep hearing three deal breakers.  It's a copy of something in the past.  It's focusing too much on chops and "look at me" or how wonderful and fast I can play.  Or, it seems focused on DAW production trying to impress me with stellar seamless production which ends up dying on my ears because it is so predicable in the way.
Skullhead View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2015 at 13:44
Originally posted by presdoug presdoug wrote:

Originally posted by presdoug presdoug wrote:

It is a hard question for me to answer why I like old prog more than new in a few words or sentences-I guess because my favourite band split in 1980, my favourite musician died in 1977. There are other reasons, but I can't seem to put it into words, sorry.
I have been doing some thinking on this, and I can sum up what I like about old prog, and why I don't listen to much new recordings, that is "Atmosphere". Atmosphere is just about the most important thing that hooks me in music, and allows me to appreciate it and find merit in it. It is not the only thing, but the most important one for me.
                  Recordings from the older period have a certain atmosphere (or what some call a "vibe") that is missing from the newer ones. 
                      Now, some may like the atmosphere created in newer music more than old, and I am ok with that. To each his or her own, I guess.
                        In classical music, as well, atmosphere plays a VERY important role in my appreciation of it, and I love Historical recordings (those recorded before 1960) mainly because of the inimitable one created in recordings of the 1930s, 1940s, etc.
                      This is my slant on things, and it is just me, and I am no more right or wrong about it than anybody else, I guess.

This is another great post.. again it asks another question.
What is this atmosphere and could it be re created in modern times?

I know to my ears, you just cannot digitally sample a Hammond Organ and Leslie set up.  You can sample the idea, some of the vibrato etc, but it will never be the same.  Drums also are impossible to sample.  Because a good drummer is hitting all around the drum and cymbals.  It's not just sampling 10 levels of loudness, it's all the nuance, the side hits, the way the bead on the stick works.  I just don't understand the obsession with trying to get the perfect sound. 

I have to think most all the older analog synths created a kind of atmosphere. 

This atmosphere thing really hits home with me.

Recently I listened to "No Quarter"  the live version from Song Remains the Same.
Then I listened to their more recent version they played at the reunion thing a few years back.
The new version is so doctored up it's just embarrassing.  No wonder it took Page 4 years to release it etc.
I sounds perfect, not a bad note anywhere, but it is totally lifeless compared to the 70s version.
There is no way I would ever listen to the new version over the older version.

I really don't think it is just a nostalgia trip thing.  I think there is something in this atmosphere idea.
I think Pink Floyd did it better than anyone.  Listen to Meddle's Echoes.  The recording is really terrible, but it just kills with atmosphere. 

Thoughts?
LearsFool View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2015 at 13:55
Originally posted by Skullhead Skullhead wrote:

I DO listen to new prog (within my budget capabilities and taste limitations), I support modern bands making progressive music, I have no big issue with bands using modern technology but don't like overproduced music which sounds excessively 'photoshopped' or DAW-made.

The issue for me is, I rarely find the inspiration and brilliance of ideas which the old classics had in their prime. I mean, when I listen to songs like The Grand Parade Of Lifeless Packaging, The Lamia, Trilogy, Long Distance Runaround and tens or even hundreds of others... it's not the analog sound or the technical wizardy which captivates me, it's just that I think "how the hell could they come up with something like this?!". It's the mix of originality and straight brilliance of the compositions which really amazes me, then as the icing in the cake comes that those guys were excellent players and the sound is natural and warm, but these are only accessories. It's the inspiration they had which amazes me.

And, I say very sadly, in modern prog I find many good music, sometimes original, sometimes with great skill, sometimes with good sound... but very very rarely do I find that kind of brilliant inspiration. In the 70s some of the known names released an album and you could buy it with confidence, many times you made a great purchase. In the last years I have spent quite a lot of money in albums I finally do not listen to because even if they are good, they don't really inspire me, and I become more and more wary of spending money in modern prog, I tend to listen to what I can in bandcamp, progstreaming etc, but not so much buying I must admit, because I'm afraid it's a waste of money, something I will not listen to anymore within one year, it's just adding jewel cases to my collection.

A proof that the key was 'inspiration' and not the competence of the musicians is that those same musicians who made all those great albums in the 70s, for the biggest part have been unable to produce comparable music once the muse of the time and the place and the spirit was gone. It's not enough being a good musician, you need to be touched by the muses in order to produce real masterpieces. And for whatever reason, the muses are not busy with prog right now. But kudos to the modern bands who try, we need them.

This is an excellent post.  I say that because it asks a further question.  WHY?
Could it be that the new bands are listening to the older bands and say metal also, while the older bands didn't have metal around to be influenced by, but instead were listening more to experimental classical, Bartok etc.. and experimental jazz, Brubeck, Miles, etc?

Just an idea. 

Do the modern bands feel that everything has been done already?  Jon Anderson took a very different approach to lyrics than Peter Gabriel did.  Ian Anderson loved sarcasm.  Gentle Giant and Frank Zappa preferred silly lyrics mostly.  Pink Floyd kept things very psychedelic always with that twist to the lyrics that embraced some sort of surreal vision.

Those lyrical concepts across the top SHOULD effect the musicianship in one way or another.  It seems to me the music was much more conceptual meaning the artwork, the lyrics, the music all worked together.
I don't want to bash modern prog, I really don't but to my ears I keep hearing three deal breakers.  It's a copy of something in the past.  It's focusing too much on chops and "look at me" or how wonderful and fast I can play.  Or, it seems focused on DAW production trying to impress me with stellar seamless production which ends up dying on my ears because it is so predicable in the way.

You know what I just realised? Prog would not exist without musicians deciding to stop giving a toss about live purists like you. RevolverPet SoundsSgt. PeppersDays of Future Passed... core albums foundational to the genre, all impossible to reproduce live. All using the studio to its maximum. Using multiple takes and multitracking in ways that are essentially proto-DAW.

Your whole hatred of modern prog - and by so rudely saying that modern bands "have no creativity", you have in fact made that clear - is predicated on a lie.

Beyond those prototypical albums? The Moodies had In Search of The Lost Chord... really everything beforeA Question of Balance. ELP couldn't reproduce "Lucky Man" live, much to their own chagrin on behalf of the fans. Again, "Bohemian Rhapsody"'s courtroom sequence. UmmagummaLizard proved to be this for later incarnations of Crimson. The famous proto-industrial tracks from Tago Mago, "Aumgn" and "Peking O", as far as Can themselves could be concerned. Tubular Bells could be played live, but Oldfield was just focusing on doing everything himself, so multitracking. How's about Ash Ra Tempel using electronic effects to back their trio?

While there was plenty of prog studio work that was directly reproducible live, many of the genre's classics demanded heavy studio work and studio effects. Modern prog that uses DAW and the like is no different.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2015 at 13:59
Thoughts?

I think you've made the same point now for a week. 

I hear loads of soul and passion as well as atmosphere in the modern progressive rock I listen to....but then again I don't go looking for prog-by-the-numbers and cry about it not being original. Might as well go fish for sharks in the Sahara.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2015 at 16:29
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Thoughts?

I hear loads of soul and passion as well as atmosphere in the modern progressive rock I listen to....but then again I don't go looking for prog-by-the-numbers and cry about it not being original. Might as well go fish for sharks in the Sahara.

There is so much win in this post that I cannot add anything to itClap. I only wonder what "modern prog" Skullhead has been listening to, because I hardly hear anything resembling "look at how fast I can play" in the bands I praise.
Smurph View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2015 at 17:19
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

Thoughts?

There is so much win in this post that I cannot add anything to itClap. I only wonder what "modern prog" Skullhead has been listening to, because I hardly hear anything resembling "look at how fast I can play" in the bands I praise.

ClapClap one for each of you 
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2015 at 04:24

Agree with Skullhead, a good post. I agree with all of that..

There are modern prog bands I can listen to but I don't do so with the same degree of enthusiasm and passion that I reserve for the 'golden era' bands for pretty much the same reasons as you.

For me, despite the slick musicianship and production of modern prog it lacks the honesty and originality of those bands who were there first time round. It must be difficult to be completely original and fresh when so much of what you're trying to do has been done before.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Big Ears View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2015 at 04:47
Sentiment plays a prominent role, for me, in listening to music. I can plot various events in my life by the music I was listening to at the time (I know someone who can do  the same with football matches). I also like some music now, that I dd not like at the time, for sentimental reasons.

To these ears, many modern progressive rock bands have the instrumental prowess, but are often bland and lack a distinctive lead singer. Thanks to the internet, I can now track down heavy and progressive rock bands, from the seventies, that I missed first time.

tamijo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2015 at 05:58

My dad feels that way about his beer. He's a Tuborg man - just like his dad was. Give him any other beer spanning from all over the globe - pilseners, ales, stouts you name em, he'd still rather have a 'grøn Tuborg' (green Tuborg). It's not that he doesn't appreciate good beer, but he just can't seem to shake his first love.

My first real musical love was Pink Floyd, but instead of captivating me in a craving for a particular sound it's continued to push me into new and untried areas of music: electronic because of Rick Wright, avantguarde and Krautrock because of Ummagumma, metal because of the riff from In The Flesh, folk and all of it's compatriots because of albums like More and Obscured by Clouds. 
In fact, I see my own history with music like a tree with huge and intricate branches - all of it starting out in the roots where Floyd resides. 
....and because discovery more than often leads to new discoveries, this tree will likely see space before I snuff it.

I was like Your dad, (Carlsberg HOF) until i found Asahi Super Dry.
Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2015 at 06:01
Duly noted, thanksBig smile

“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2015 at 10:29
Aged scotch=bliss.

Aged beer=bad.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2015 at 16:47

I've been saying this for a few years. Music can only progress through melody and real melody came from people who were mainly exposed to classical, jazz, folk and late 60s Rock and Rnb. Lots of good melodic ideas there. But today the Jazz and classical influences are less and there are a lot of bad influences come in from other styles from the 80s
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
LearsFool View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2015 at 17:12
^ That's a hell of a thing to say. What, perchance, is "real" melody?

And what about harmony? Tonality? Atonality? Polyrhythms?
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2015 at 18:28

(...)

What else we got?
Try "A Peaceful Nicht In Hell" (in four movements) by One Of These Days & Thee Heavy Random Tone Colour Lab, from Spain.
You should be bombed with retro prog albums that are released in 2010's LOL

Edited by Svetonio - January 28 2015 at 18:29
Smurph View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2015 at 19:09
^Hey that's a great find! Cool stuff.
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2015 at 19:36
Originally posted by Lear'sFool Lear'sFool wrote:

^ That's a hell of a thing to say. What, perchance, is "real" melody?

And what about harmony? Tonality? Atonality? Polyrhythms?

We all know a smart catchy busy melody when we hear one. Something you can Hum to and never get bored of
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415 20>