Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Why old prog - for me - is better than new prog
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhy old prog - for me - is better than new prog

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1516171819 20>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2015 at 12:02
Originally posted by Davesax1965 Davesax1965 wrote:

Incorrect, Cristi ! ;-)

Most people do. The original was pretty much ignored. IMO, it's a better version. 

darn Nazareth LOL
for a while I thought Love Hurts, that is a Nazareth hit, was a cover of Roy Orbison but that's not even Roy's song. LOL

oh well...
LearsFool View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2015 at 14:08
Originally posted by dr prog dr prog wrote:

Post 84 American poluted Rock music

Hey! While I know from personal experience that America is a pretty crapsack place, its always pumped out great music.

Darn convict.TongueTongue
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2015 at 14:16
Originally posted by Lear'sFool Lear'sFool wrote:

Post 84 American poluted Rock music

Hey! While I know from personal experience that America is a pretty crapsack place, its always pumped out great music.

Darn convict.TongueTongue

LOL

Indeed, one of the few positives of the six years I have spent here is the musical scene. In spite of the lack of support from the "fans", the US modern prog scene is vibrant, and among the best in the world.

dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2015 at 15:52
The only yank bands I've liked is Doors, Hendrix, Zappa(72-83), Devo(79-81), Happy the man, Kansas and Ronnie Foster and maybe another. My catalogue is dominated by uk, french, german and italian.

Edited by dr prog - February 01 2015 at 15:53
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
LearsFool View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2015 at 16:07
^ Which makes it weird that you'd insult American musical mores, being that The Doors and Kansas were drenched in it.

Plus if you like any British blues rock, you owe Mississippi and Chicago a solid.
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2015 at 16:19

^ Which makes it weird that you'd insult American musical mores, being that The Doors and Kansas were drenched in it.

Plus if you like any British blues rock, you owe Mississippi and Chicago a solid.

I mentioned about 8 bands from 1 million bands. I reckon they would have close to the smallest percentage of strong bands per population in the world
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2015 at 20:17

I mentioned about 8 bands from 1 million bands. I reckon they would have close to the smallest percentage of strong bands per population in the world
That's plainly silly and so nearsighted that I am surprised you can type on your computer. Besides the ridiculously few you mentioned, there was Elvis, Buddy Holly, The Beach Boys, Bob Dylan, The Byrds, The Band, Creedence Clearwater Revival, 13th Floor Elevators, Captain Beefheart, Jefferson Airplane, The Grateful Dead, MC5, Iggy and the Stooges, The Velvet Underground, Canned Heat, The Allman Brothers, Crosby, Stills & Nash, Neil Young, Simon & Garfunkel, Dixie Dregs, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Alice Cooper, The Talking Heads, The Ramones, Patti Smith...

I can go on and on, and I haven't even mentioned blues greats like Muddy Waters, Robert Johnson, Albert Collins, Howlin' Wolf, Johnny Winter, John Lee Hooker, Willie Dixon and Stevie Ray Vaughan, or R&B or funk masters like Aretha Franklin, Stevie Wonder, War, Parliament, Sly and the Family Stone, etc., and NEARLY EVERY JAZZ GREAT IN THE HISTORY OF THE GENRE.

When certain folks get so close-minded when it comes to prog (and only a small proportion of prog, it seems) that they become obviously and overwhelmingly stultified, I have to shake my head, because I can't reach through the PC monitor and shake them from their intellectual malaise.

Edited by The Dark Elf - February 01 2015 at 20:20
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2015 at 20:28
While I try to avoid crass generalisations wherever possible I have to admit that I have very little American music in my collection simply because a lot of it does nothing for me personally. This is a merely personal preference and nothing to do with how good, bad or indifferent the music of one country is compared to another. No one can deny the debt owed to American artists in pioneering many of the genres of Rock and Pop we take for granted, I just happen to prefer what folk on the eastern side of the Atlantic did with it afterwards.
What?
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2015 at 21:22
Originally posted by Svetonio Svetonio wrote:

Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

The only Beatles songs I like are the proggy ones. Pretty much every time I like a song it is prog related. It's busy, smart and catchy and it's not pop lol

Prog related does not make it NOT pop.  Tomorrow Never Knows/Eleanor Rigby/Day in the Life/Strawberry Fields Forever remain pop.   

Strawberry Fields Forever is a 100% prog song but for some reason the British proggers don't like to grant that the British prog was actually started with the single; Penny Lane is 100% prog song also. (...)

You have it backwards, I am afraid.  It's pop at it best with elements of prog.  You are just twisting reality to suit your (evidently prejudiced) conclusions.  Try telling the world outside PA that Penny Lane is 100% prog.  And come back and tell us what they thought about, er, your opinion.

Penny lane is definately prog imo. My fave Beatles song too. Half the pa members are probably under 25 and like metal. What would they know
Of course, doc.
After 40 years of listening to prog, I certainly can not have the same views on what is and what is not prog as someone who, for example, was born in the eighties, in nineties listened to bullsh*t techno music and (if) adding a bit of TDSotM, then accidentally bumped into this site in '00s, and finnaly due to, say,  "political correctness" toward influential collabs, has become also a collaborator i.e. "Prog God" LOL

First off, I got confused by the 'pyramid' of linked comments and thought your original comment was made by Doc.  So the part about prejudiced point of view etc wasn't intended for  you and I am sorry for the mix up.  With that out of the way...

Oh wow getting personal, are we?  Carry on.  It is evident there are certain things age hasn't taught you, which is not to assume so much that you end up landing your foot as a whole piece in your mouth.  Bullsh*t techno music?  The music I heard through the 90s is far more progressive than most of the stuff that gets called prog on this website.  You have no idea whatsoever about my tastes so don't attempt to presume.  However, whether Penny Lane is prog isn't a matter of taste but music classification.  Penny Lane was no.1 on the Billboard hot 100 singles chart in 1967.  It was on a "20 greatest Beatles tracks" compilation tape I used to have (this was in the bullsh*t techno 90s by the way), along side Hello Goodbye, Let It Be, She Loves You.  If Penny Lane is prog, then, for one thing, it accounts for the flood of additions you post in the Suggestions Thread.   Just because you have been hearing prog for 40 years doesn't necessarily mean you know any better and you don't exactly make a great case in that regard when you say Penny Lane is prog.

Edited by rogerthat - February 01 2015 at 22:34
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2015 at 01:14
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

That's plainly silly and so nearsighted that I am surprised you can type on your computer. Besides the ridiculously few you mentioned, there was Elvis, Buddy Holly, The Beach Boys, Bob Dylan, The Byrds, The Band, Creedence Clearwater Revival, 13th Floor Elevators, Captain Beefheart, Jefferson Airplane, The Grateful Dead, MC5, Iggy and the Stooges, The Velvet Underground, Canned Heat, The Allman Brothers, Crosby, Stills & Nash, Neil Young, Simon & Garfunkel, Dixie Dregs, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Alice Cooper, The Talking Heads, The Ramones, Patti Smith...

I can go on and on, and I haven't even mentioned blues greats like Muddy Waters, Robert Johnson, Albert Collins, Howlin' Wolf, Johnny Winter, John Lee Hooker, Willie Dixon and Stevie Ray Vaughan, or R&B or funk masters like Aretha Franklin, Stevie Wonder, War, Parliament, Sly and the Family Stone, etc., and NEARLY EVERY JAZZ GREAT IN THE HISTORY OF THE GENRE.

When certain folks get so close-minded when it comes to prog (and only a small proportion of prog, it seems) that they become obviously and overwhelmingly stultified, I have to shake my head, because I can't reach through the PC monitor and shake them from their intellectual malaise.

Creedance, Dregs and Wonder I like. Early Cooper and Talking heads isn't bad. The others I wouldn't bother with

Edited by dr prog - February 02 2015 at 01:17
Altairius View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2015 at 01:28
^ You should like the Smile Sessions and Surf's Up at least from the Beach Boys.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2015 at 01:34
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2015 at 02:16

The only Beatles songs I like are the proggy ones. Pretty much every time I like a song it is prog related. It's busy, smart and catchy and it's not pop lol

Prog related does not make it NOT pop.  Tomorrow Never Knows/Eleanor Rigby/Day in the Life/Strawberry Fields Forever remain pop.   

Strawberry Fields Forever is a 100% prog song but for some reason the British proggers don't like to grant that the British prog was actually started with the single; Penny Lane is 100% prog song also. (...)

You have it backwards, I am afraid.  It's pop at it best with elements of prog.  You are just twisting reality to suit your (evidently prejudiced) conclusions.  Try telling the world outside PA that Penny Lane is 100% prog.  And come back and tell us what they thought about, er, your opinion.

Penny lane is definately prog imo. My fave Beatles song too. Half the pa members are probably under 25 and like metal. What would they know
Of course, doc.
After 40 years of listening to prog, I certainly can not have the same views on what is and what is not prog as someone who, for example, was born in the eighties, in nineties listened to bullsh*t techno music and (if) adding a bit of TDSotM, then accidentally bumped into this site in '00s, and finnaly due to, say,  "political correctness" toward influential collabs, has become also a collaborator i.e. "Prog God" LOL

First off, I got confused by the 'pyramid' of linked comments and thought your original comment was made by Doc.  So the part about prejudiced point of view etc wasn't intended for  you and I am sorry for the mix up.  With that out of the way...

Oh wow getting personal, are we?  Carry on.  It is evident there are certain things age hasn't taught you, which is not to assume so much that you end up landing your foot as a whole piece in your mouth.  Bullsh*t techno music?  The music I heard through the 90s is far more progressive than most of the stuff that gets called prog on this website.  You have no idea whatsoever about my tastes so don't attempt to presume.  However, whether Penny Lane is prog isn't a matter of taste but music classification.  Penny Lane was no.1 on the Billboard hot 100 singles chart in 1967.  It was on a "20 greatest Beatles tracks" compilation tape I used to have (this was in the bullsh*t techno 90s by the way), along side Hello Goodbye, Let It Be, She Loves You.  If Penny Lane is prog, then, for one thing, it accounts for the flood of additions you post in the Suggestions Thread.   Just because you have been hearing prog for 40 years doesn't necessarily mean you know any better and you don't exactly make a great case in that regard when you say Penny Lane is prog.
I never thought of you when I wrote it, nor to any specific person here, and I really do not know why you recognize yourself in it. Anyway - I'm sorry. Please accept my apologies. I should have to think about that someone could recognize himself / herself in that my abstraction.
Strawberry Fields Forever /  Penny Lane the single is early prog in the classic meaning of the term "prog", doesn't matter what wiki said.
It's just more melodic (aside from the quality of the music itself, techhology possiblities back then, etc) than today's Crossover Prog - the PA genre that it is most close to THE single; also, it's nothing less prog than e.g. I Talk To The Wiind and (or) Epitaph.
And I just want to point out that the early prog was way more melodic ("popular") music than today and that is that.

Edited by Svetonio - February 02 2015 at 02:18
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2015 at 03:08
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

I'm with you in this subject. For example, early prog from your country is neglected actually. You will not find Steve Miller Band in that PA proto-prog section, although that's a band who were released in 1968 two albums that are 100% prog; furthermore, Nick Logan called Children of The Future and Sailor as "cornerstones of progressive rock" in his The Illustrated New Musical Express Encyclopedia of Rock the book (1977)
Pet Sounds and The SMILE Sessions is "not enough" to put the Beach Boys in proto-prog section; all that psychedelic background and three 100% prog albums by the Grateful Dead is "not enough" to put that great band in proto-prog section; you can see a long debate about Miles Davis, is he belong to PA or not, but you never see the same debate about e.g. Jan Garbarek who is also here although he has nothing more or less connected to prog than Miles, and so on. 

Edited by Svetonio - February 02 2015 at 03:29
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2015 at 04:47
erm, in my copy it says "...recorded two albums that are still regarded as milestones, Children of the Future and Sailor" .. he does not call them 'cornerstones of progressive rock'. However, he does go on to say "The former was regarded as perhaps the best example of progressive rock to emanate from 1968" (my emphasis), though he does not say who regarded it as perhaps the best example.
What?
Altairius View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2015 at 05:23
Also good from the US: Return to Forever, Steely Dan, Utopia, Yezda Urfa, Cathedral, Mike Keneally, Thinking Plague, Djam Karet

I like several countries better but the US has plenty of great artists. If nothing else, jazz fusion came out of it.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2015 at 05:25

Of course, doc.

I never thought of you when I wrote it, nor to any specific person here, and I really do not know why you recognize yourself in it. Anyway - I'm sorry. Please accept my apologies. I should have to think about that someone could recognize himself / herself in that my abstraction.
Strawberry Fields Forever /  Penny Lane the single is early prog in the classic meaning of the term "prog", doesn't matter what wiki said.
It's just more melodic (aside from the quality of the music itself, techhology possiblities back then, etc) than today's Crossover Prog - the PA genre that it is most close to THE single; also, it's nothing less prog than e.g. I Talk To The Wiind and (or) Epitaph.
And I just want to point out that the early prog was way more melodic ("popular") music than today and that is that.

I am perceptive enough to distinguish between veiled insults and abstraction but I'll let that be.  

As for Penny Lane, over so many years of listening to old timers describe prog on this forum as well as others, this must be the first time I have heard Penny Lane described as prog.  It is on the other hand widely accepted as pop by the mainstream.  I tend to go along with THAT with due respect to your opinion.  It may be prog as be YOUR definition of it but I would be highly skeptical that it meets the classic meaning of the term prog unless I am shown at least some literature dating back to the time that described it as prog.  And I mean just prog or progressive rock, not the adjective 'progressive' by itself.  Penny Lane is progressive, and a lot of progressive music isn't prog rock.
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2015 at 05:36

Of course, doc.

I am perceptive enough to distinguish between veiled insults and abstraction but I'll let that be.  

As for Penny Lane, over so many years of listening to old timers describe prog on this forum as well as others, this must be the first time I have heard Penny Lane described as prog.  It is on the other hand widely accepted as pop by the mainstream.  I tend to go along with THAT with due respect to your opinion.  It may be prog as be YOUR definition of it but I would be highly skeptical that it meets the classic meaning of the term prog unless I am shown at least some literature dating back to the time that described it as prog.  And I mean just prog or progressive rock, not the adjective 'progressive' by itself.  Penny Lane is progressive, and a lot of progressive music isn't prog rock.
I don't think that the term even existed at the time when Strawberry Fields Forever / Penny Lane the single was released. However, I don't listening to that ancient but timeless single through Bilboard single charts nor wiki, I listening to THE single with my own ears and I hear PROG ("Crossover Prog" if you like).

Edited by Svetonio - February 02 2015 at 06:08
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2015 at 05:59
Originally posted by Altairius Altairius wrote:

Also good from the US: Return to Forever, Steely Dan, Utopia, Yezda Urfa, Cathedral, Mike Keneally, Thinking Plague, Djam Karet

I like several countries better but the US has plenty of great artists. If nothing else, jazz fusion came out of it.
Jazz Rock, yes, but also PROGRESSIVE ROCK came from U.S nothing less than from England. The fact is that Freak Out!  and (or) Sailor  have nothing to do with Symphonic rock as a prog sub-genre that was invented in England, but it doesn't mean that mentioned early prog albums by these legendary U.S. bands are not prog.

Edited by Svetonio - February 02 2015 at 06:00
jayem View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2015 at 06:16
There are many tracks that can be called prog that wouldn't launch a new genre by themselves, because you'd say "this is psyche inventive classic oriented" this or that. Then there would be THE first one that'd have you say "now this clearly defines a new genre" (for many, me included, ITCOTCK would be it).
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1516171819 20>