Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Why old prog - for me - is better than new prog
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhy old prog - for me - is better than new prog

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 20>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Why old prog - for me - is better than new prog
    Posted: January 10 2015 at 05:27
(Oh dear, stirring the pot here !! )

Hi folks, and now !! A thread where I tell you why - for me - old prog is better than new prog. Really simple reason....

Association.

When I stick on "Dark Side", I'm sitting around at my uncles' house in 1975 with a Mathmos oil lamp on. I stick on King Crimson, and I'm back with my mates in the early 1980's, smashed out of my mind and talking complete gibberish in a selection of grotty flats in Manchester at 2am.
I put on something like Hawkwind and I'm back at UMIST rock night with my mates in the mid 80-'s, full of beer and, er, herbal tobacco, officer. 

And so it goes. Not just the music but the memories. I am knocking on the door of 50, so I have very few associative memories concerning "new prog". Really, it's not just about the music but the scene that the music evokes. 

sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2015 at 05:55
Sigh, nostalgia is the bane of the modern world.
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

WrytXander View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2015 at 06:14
Well since you're basing your argument on "memories", consider the fact that some do not possess similar memories, therefore factoring nostalgia is not a good idea in this case (or EVER).

Once you look at it from a music standpoint, then can you really reach a sensible conclusion. Once you start talking about your memories and say one is "better" than the other, that makes you sound like a closed-minded back-in-my-day kind of person... It's not better, not even for you, you're just adding your friends and beer to the equation so the music's quality doesn't really matter at all.

No offence meant with any of this, just saying Smile
20+ prog bands discovered and explored in 3 years, still going strong...
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2015 at 06:54
Originally posted by sleeper sleeper wrote:

sigh, nostalgia is the bane of objectivity...
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2015 at 07:17
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

sigh, nostalgia is the bane of objectivity...

Clap  to both - and this from a person who very often reminisces about the past. At my first NEARfest, in 2009, I was almost in tears when PFM played "Impressioni di settembre" - remembering hearing that song on the radio in the summer of 1972, when I was all f 11 years old and vacationing in the Alps with my family. However, I also have many wonderful memories of much more recent shows when "new" bands or artists were performing - such as the incredible show put up by Gösta Berlings Saga at NEARfest 2012.
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2015 at 07:38
It's perfectly true that old prog brings back wonderful memories by association. Camel, Horslips, Floyd, Genesis, Yes, Tull, BJH, Caravan and, later, Rush, Druid and Marillion all bring back fond memories of wonderful times at my various universities in the 70s/80s.

But does that mean it's better than modern prog? No - there's still some marvellous music being made today which compares well to the old prog, though possibly not quite as much.
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
Suedevanshoe View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2015 at 07:42
There is nothing wrong with a stroll down memory lane. Nostalgia is not the bane of existence unless you let it be the bane of existence.

I wasn't born until Dark Side of the Moon had been on the charts for a year, yet I prefer old prog because I think it's plain better than most recent releases. Granted, I've found good listening on many recent French and Italian albums, but nobody's pushing the envelope for me as they did 30+ years ago.
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2015 at 07:56
You are stirring the pot with an empty argument Dave, you disappoint me here. Or is perhaps that you are still burning the pot as well? Wink

A related but more decent argument could be that genuinely felt-&-created music is an artistic expression of its times and its social and cultural environment (as Mosh will surely quickly remind us Wink).

You might say that classic Prog was somehow a reflection of the cultural environment of its time, and that since that environment is completely different today, trying to make Prog Rock in the classic sense in the current times is doomed to be a watered down form of the original.

Mind you, I do not completely agree with this form of the argument either, but it would be more reasonable than just invoking personal memories in trying to asses the quality of music.
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2015 at 07:57
I should point out that I have no problem with memory association itself, but when you start making it the central reason to why you prefer one album over another then it kind of marginalises the music of both to being superficial to the experience, that is not healthy at all.
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2015 at 08:05

I should point out that I have no problem with memory association itself, but when you start making it the central reason to why you prefer one album over another then it kind of marginalises the music of both to being superficial to the experience, that is not healthy at all.

hell yeah.  Look no further than Jethro Tull beating PFM. LOLLOL  A group that objectively could be said only did one thing better than PFM...  be English and have a nostalgic group of fans via a wider exposure.

hah..

Nostalgia is great, but never let it get in the way of using your brain when entering the voting booth.   A big problem in politics by the way. Wink  It isn't the 1950's anymore man... times change... get with the program. LOLClap

The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
paganinio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2015 at 08:05
OP, That's a weak argument, I basically never revisit the music I listened to when I was a child.  That's why music exploration is so awesome:  you grow up and you move on to new music, and you no longer find the old stuff enjoyable to listen to.
RockHound View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2015 at 08:12
Every time I turn around, new prog becomes old. Once I was buying vinyl and heading with my pals to the stadium to see Pink Floyd, to the arena to see Yes or Tull, and to the small hall to see the likes of Tangerine Dream and King Crimson. 

Twenty years later I was buying CDs and surfing the web, discovering a whole new world of prog through the likes of The Flower Kings, Spock's Beard, Dream Theater, and Anglagard. The old bands were still touring around, but there was no longer the huge social scene around the music (or perhaps any music) like there was during the '70s.

And another 20 years later here we are conversing on the internet with a rich history of symphonic, RIO, prog metal, and post-rock, etc. behind us, and no end to the exploration and innovation in sight. And the context has changed yet again. People live extremely connected lives in which technology and media are constantly in our faces, all competing for our attention. Never has more choice been available, and yet we live in a time where talented musicians struggle to find an audience, let alone make ends meet. The heroes of the '60s and '70s are at or near the ends of their careers, and new talent forges ahead into an uncertain brave new world.

How music affects us is colored strongly by our personal experiences, as well as the times in which the music is made. The context of progressive music is constantly shifting and will continue to do so. Because of this, it is not really fair to burden up and coming musicians with expectations that were established two generations ago. The great thing about the foundational prog bands is the rich legacy they have left for future generations, and the great thing about prog today is that it looks both backwards and forwards, giving more options than ever to the listener.

Is the old better than the new? That's merely opinion. I for one am just thankful that as time marches on, and despite the many challenges in the modern music industry, progressive music does somehow manage to progress.
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2015 at 08:17
Originally posted by Davesax1965 Davesax1965 wrote:

(Oh dear, stirring the pot here !! )

Hi folks, and now !! A thread where I tell you why - for me - old prog is better than new prog. Really simple reason....

Association.

When I stick on "Dark Side", I'm sitting around at my uncles' house in 1975 with a Mathmos oil lamp on. I stick on King Crimson, and I'm back with my mates in the early 1980's, smashed out of my mind and talking complete gibberish in a selection of grotty flats in Manchester at 2am.
I put on something like Hawkwind and I'm back at UMIST rock night with my mates in the mid 80-'s, full of beer and, er, herbal tobacco, officer. 

And so it goes. Not just the music but the memories. I am knocking on the door of 50, so I have very few associative memories concerning "new prog". Really, it's not just about the music but the scene that the music evokes. 

You give us serious concerns about your ability to navigate successfully to a door, kitchen or even any metaphorical 'pot' that might require stirring therein but regardless, your talent for talking complete gibberish has clearly not deserted you in the interim. The solution to your dilemma is equally simple: get completely chipped off your tits while listening to any music released say post '79, wait thirty years or so then start another thread about getting nostalgic for something that never happened in the first place. By that stage (circa 2045) cultural revisionists will have supplanted the current conventional wisdom to conclude that both Ian Curtis and Tony Wilson were actually slain by the Macclesfield Illuminati (And So it Goes)

There is no such thing as 'new Prog' but there are sh*tloads of contemporary (and historical dammit) artists creating adventurous, challenging, innovative and forward thinking music for everyone to enjoy irrespective of the entrance examinations for PA. The fact that we are still banging these new round pegs into our very old square holes or excluding artists entirely based on a largely static set of historical criteria is a different matter altogether. Our failure on PA to wake up to the reality that we must choose to remain an archive for the historical phenomenon of 'Prog' or become a progressive music appreciation site is at the heart of the crossroads we currently face. The ramifications for the latter eventuality would be massive and certainly dwarf the resources that any volunteer website has at its disposal. e.g. the inevitable flood of eligible artists would drown the capacities of the now redundant genre teams. I've always believed that this, with some justification, is probably the main reason that we continue fudge the issue. (Cue another Micky rant...)

Warning: This post contains traces of sarcasm
Greg W View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2015 at 08:19
Can't argue with memories. As long as you are listening to prog tunes then rock on buddy. Then again, if you ever get bored with the same old stuff, there is a huge amount of new prog that will blow you away.

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2015 at 11:05

Hi,

This is so weird!

You don't go around saying that Stravinsky is OLD.

You don't go around saying that Mozart is OLD.

You don't go around saying that Gregorian Chants are OLD.

Why the fudge would you say that some progressive/prog stuff is now "old", when it was merely a reflection of its time and the instruments they had, THEN!

It was music ... when it was music, with that they had to do music with! It's like we're comparing oranges to apples again!

My next question is ... are you sure you are listening to music?

Edited by moshkito - January 10 2015 at 11:18
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2015 at 11:13
Well, here we go.
Putting memories aside, I'll state very simply, perhaps until I die, that prog reached it's creative plateau in 1974-75. For a brief example I'll use the following albums as examples: Wish You Were Here from Floyd, and Scheherazade and other Stories from Renaissance

If you look at other rock genres, they too have had their periods of creative peaks and declines.

Why should prog be any different?

Edited by SteveG - January 10 2015 at 11:21
bhikkhu View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2015 at 11:56
I have incredible memories associated with all the classics as well. Listening to dark side for the first time, a good friend introducing me to Genesis and air drumming Phil's parts, etc. One thing I also remember is the thrill of being wowed by something new and different. You can't get that again by returning to the well.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2015 at 12:06

Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Putting memories aside, I'll state very simply, perhaps until I die, that prog reached it's creative plateau in 1974-75. For a brief example I used the following albums s examples: Wish You Were Here from Floyd, and Scheherazade and other Stories from Renaissance

If you look at other rock genres, they too have had their periods of creative peaks and declines.

Why should prog be any different?

It isn't.

But it's like saying that Tchaikovsky stopped after his 3rd symphony and Beethoven after his 5th and Mahler after his 7th, and the like.

Sure, the Romantic Period died after the 1820's or whatever, and other periods came and went, but even those subdivisions are a bit off kilter, specially in the 20th century when just about all kinds of music did not die, and continued, even in different forms, most of them became electric!

But we don't go around saying that one thing was older than the other!

I really think that the issue on this is that we do not look at a person as an artist. Instead we compare Beethoven's 1st to the 9th, and we say that one was better. In many ways, that is a sad reflection on the composition and its artist. It was the same person ( nowadays "entity"), and I am not sure we are seeing this. We're still working on "favorites" and not exactly/quite the history of it all seen from a different level.

That's not to say you are not correct ... but I think history is going to make us all look bad on this!

Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2015 at 12:12
^Everyone has their peak and decline Mosh. Even Einstein's greatest thinking came in his twenties and was never repeated again in his life.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
infernalfrog View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2015 at 12:21
I think it's maybe because the new bands try to sound like the classic bands, not better than them.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 20>