Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Why old prog - for me - is better than new prog
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhy old prog - for me - is better than new prog

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 20>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2015 at 12:28
For me, one of the things I love about rock music in the sixties, seventies and early eighties is the engineering and production. There was no pro-tools, no quantization, no MIDI, no micro-editing of everything. Often no click track so the rhythm sometimes speeds up or slows down slightly. As a result the performances seem to have a bit more 'life' in them compared to many modern releases. Of course, it's still possible for people to make records this old fashioned way but 99% of people prefer to 'overuse' modern technology. One of my acquaintances owns a professional recording studio. When I've visited him during recording sessions the amount of computer editing that is done is ridiculous, literally every drum hit is edited, the final vocal is a combination of ten different takes then spliced together, same with the guitars and bass and keyboards.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2015 at 12:36
^I agree, the overuse of tech tools does render many modern recordings sterile sounding. However, an artist like Mark Knopfler goes to great lengths to insure a warm analog sound his modern recordings, so it depends on the artist and his awareness and regard for his recorded sound.

I would have to say that digital recording on a whole has progressed in this area but unfortunately not quite enough.
King Only View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2015 at 12:41
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

^I agree, the overuse of tech tools does render many modern recordings sterile sounding. However, an artist like Mark Knopfler goes to great lengths to insure a warm analog sound his modern recordings, so it depends on the artist and his awareness and regard for his recorded sound.

I would have to say that digital recording on a whole has progressed in this area but unfortunately not quite enough.

I am a big Dire Straits fan too. Almost all the albums have a nice natural sound to them. Unfortunately I think that Brothers In Arms sounds a bit flat and brittle compared to the other albums (although I love some of the songs, especially So Far Away). But by On Every Street the nice natural sound was back.
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2015 at 12:43
It is a hard question for me to answer why I like old prog more than new in a few words or sentences-I guess because my favourite band split in 1980, my favourite musician died in 1977. There are other reasons, but I can't seem to put it into words, sorry.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2015 at 12:46
@KinkOnly. Yes, but for a better idea you will have to listen to post Dire Straits solo albums like Shangri La and Get Lucky, where Knopfler really goes all out to warm up the sound.

Edited by SteveG - January 10 2015 at 12:52
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Walton Street View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2015 at 13:38
he said "for me"

this isn't even an argument, it's an explanation why he identifies with the older prog.  not us.

I get the explanation - i feel the same - and it has nothing o do with 'the cultural times' in a broad sense...

it has to do with where you were at personally, your state of development, vulnerability, when an impression made a deeper mark on you than before or since.

i drove down a snowy country road for an hour today and played Strawbs Hero And Heroine and found myself back in my basement as a kid .. earphones on to escape the reality of my world at the time ..
I could smell the album cover .. even the plastic that lined the sleeve inside the way A&M used to do.

you can argue all the technical music theory you like - but TO ME - that is one of the most perfect albums i've ever heard, along with old Genesis, 10CC, Pink Floyd, etc.

Nothing since has affected me that way since because i'm not that same person ... but those albums are locked in and as much as I enjoy the opinions of the obviously much better informed folk on this site, no one is going to be able to prove to me that i don't like what i like.

Nostalgia isn't something to be so flippant about - it's powerful and moving - you need to look a little more carefully to understand why instead of just blowing it off.

again - just my personal opinion.

Edited by Walton Street - January 10 2015 at 13:38
"I know one thing: that I know nothing"

- SpongeBob Socrates
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2015 at 13:52
Because it is old. It is as the good wine.

Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2015 at 14:29
I ended up rambling on this far longer than anticipated, so read at your own risk.  GeekWink
Walton Street has made a couple of observations which I too have thought of.  Since I have several, I fear I will reiterate some of what has already been said.

The OP is not positing an argument that we can agree or disagree with - he is merely stating why he has a certain preference.  Being an older chap myself, I can reminisce about many of my classic favorite artists and bands.  Association is a real thing which accumulates over time.  And when we are younger, teens through the twenties, we tend to make strong associations.  These diminish with time and increased experience.  That first piece of music that grabbed you, that really MOVED you in one way or another, will always have an extra charge and nothing can ever change that.  Sigh, the first isn't always the best but will always stick with you.  Whether we agree with the OP is a matter of complete subjectivity.  Such things are not objective.  He is not analyzing the musical worth of "old prog."

Time is a real thing and popular forms of music such as rock age very quickly, so I think the term "old' is pertinent.  This only means that something recorded in 1972 is older than something recorded in 2012.  Many people in the mainstream consider this music to be outdated.  I disagree.  It remains pertinent to those who appreciate it.  The best music expresses its own times while transcending them.  This is why people can respond to something like Tarkus or Foxtrot in a positive manner right now, as people do.  Not everyone of course.  I will argue that Prog is better than what was at the top of the charts in early 70s.  There were some good tunes but there was a lot of dreck as well.  Most of us have tried to forget certain songs, except for the fact they emerge every now and then and feel polluted by their presence.  I was given a box set several years ago called Have a Nice Day which was filled with such tunes.  Check it out if you are so inclined but be warned, there is a reason most of these songs have not seen the light of day in decades.  Beethoven is old.  He died almost 200 years ago.  This does not mean he is no longer pertinent because he most certainly is not.  His music is of that transcendent quality.

I have a no-guilt policy about what I listen to and enjoy.  It all depends on the mood I am in.  I am not all prog all the time and am very eclectic in my tastes.  So far today I have listened to a symphony, Bob Seger and some Bill Frissel.  You may not like any of those and may even argue why they are terrible.  I have a good friend who saw Bob Seger at the height of his popularity in the 70s and he hated the concert.  He sneers every time I mention the name.  The same with the Doobie Brothers.  But mention Jimi Hendrix to him and he is off in a plane of ecstasy that is usually reserved for spiritual realization and heavy duty pharmaceuticals.  I enjoy all of these artists, and can also argue than some of them are musically more sophisticated than others.  But to the ear, for the sake of listening enjoyment, that does not matter.  Appreciation and enjoyment are two different things.  There are many artists I appreciate, such as Frank Zappa, but I rarely enjoy their work.  To use a phrase I haven't stated in quite a while: it is your own ears that are doing the listening and no matter how much one may argue, it is what they enjoy and/or appreciate that counts.
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2015 at 15:20
As I look at this thread , which is, in reality, a variation on a many travelled theme on PA, I have Mostly Autumn's 2014 masterpiece Dressed In Voices blasting out of my lovely speakers.

The sheer genius and emotion dripping out of this album gives this 50 year old Prog fan as much of a frission of excitement and joy as did Yes, Genesis, and all the other usual suspects did back in the 1970's.

Prog in 2015 is in very rude health. I really feel that the brilliant new music being created keeps me young, and long may it continue.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2015 at 16:14
There is no need to create factions based on some new/old divide.  To look down on others, however subtly, based on what they enjoy listening to, as if they have some responsibility to listen to what *we* like. 
Every year and era has great music and I love it all.  There's room for every taste profile at PA. 

Listen and enjoy it all, guilt free for what pleases you! 

Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2015 at 17:02
Originally posted by paganinio paganinio wrote:

OP, That's a weak argument, I basically never revisit the music I listened to when I was a child.  That's why music exploration is so awesome:  you grow up and you move on to new music, and you no longer find the old stuff enjoyable to listen to.

Why on Earth not?
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2015 at 17:34
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

There is no need to create factions based on some new/old divide.  To look down on others, however subtly, based on what they enjoy listening to, as if they have some responsibility to listen to what *we* like. 
Every year and era has great music and I love it all.  There's room for every taste profile at PA. 

Listen and enjoy it all, guilt free for what pleases you! 

Yes indeedy, thank you JimClap
This is not a competition folks. There are no gold medals. We like what we like - some are into Peruvian avant and dolphin rhythms while others dig the lotion and margarine stuff. There is room for us all (except for Mariah Carey fans. I simply will not tolerate the kind on PATongue). 

“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2015 at 17:51
^ pffff.. oh brother

left up to you two you'll have us in skirts. emasculated, clean, sober and EVEN being polite and respectful to others tastes. 

urggg..

what kind of fun forum would this place be. Just image a website where everyone loved Genesis and they won.. well.. they do anyway.. every poll but imagine how boring it would be if everyone loved the same thing and didn't make a point of trying to tell people that they have sh*t for tastes.  LOL  It the internet was like that...  hmmm.. ahhh.. imagine what would the wild west have been if instead of shooting each other down .. they talked things over and gave each other a kiss on the cheek afterwards. BORING!!!  Imagine the internet like that

hah

Edited by micky - January 10 2015 at 17:52
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2015 at 20:58
Originally posted by King Only King Only wrote:

For me, one of the things I love about rock music in the sixties, seventies and early eighties is the engineering and production. There was no pro-tools, no quantization, no MIDI, no micro-editing of everything. Often no click track so the rhythm sometimes speeds up or slows down slightly. As a result the performances seem to have a bit more 'life' in them compared to many modern releases. Of course, it's still possible for people to make records this old fashioned way but 99% of people prefer to 'overuse' modern technology. One of my acquaintances owns a professional recording studio. When I've visited him during recording sessions the amount of computer editing that is done is ridiculous, literally every drum hit is edited, the final vocal is a combination of ten different takes then spliced together, same with the guitars and bass and keyboards.

Yes, I do think this is one of the main problems, especially for older generation fans who are used to the way music used to be recorded earlier.  There is no clear cut line in the sand as far as how much the engineer may use technology to clean up the recording, but if the final output doesn't feel 'live' and it's rock music, then there's a problem.  That kind of precise, robotic recording is ok for electronic music but in rock, it just makes the music sound very sterile.  
Metalmarsh89 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2015 at 21:19
Thanks for sharing Dave. Can't say I feel the same way, but I'm a bit too young for nostalgia to affect my music preferences much.

As laz also shared, I hope I can feel the same way about music when I'm 50. Enjoying new releases as they keep coming out is presumably much more exhilarating than going back to the music I listened to when I was 20. Not that nostalgia will never come knocking at my door, but I just hope I'll have the same mindset that there are fantastic musicians around.
Want to play mafia? Visit here.
bhikkhu View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2015 at 21:32
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

^ pffff.. oh brother

left up to you two you'll have us in skirts. emasculated, clean, sober and EVEN being polite and respectful to others tastes. 

Believe me Micky. You want me clean and sober. Wink

Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2015 at 23:38
- In the 80's i thought Prog was dead.......Then I discovered Anglagard
- When I entered this forum I thought Neo Prog was crap - I discovered Marillion, Pendragon, etc.
- When I became a Special Collaborator, I used to believe Prog Mertal was BS...I discovered Symphony X, Pain of Salvation, etc.

- When I took charge of Symphonic I thought no good Symphonic band would appear in the 00's

I discovered

- Magenta (The first album is fully Symphonic)
- Shadow Circus
- 5Bridges
- Karfagen
- Life Line Project
- Deluge Grander
- Anton Roolaart
- Fright Pig
- Via Obscura
- Kotebel
- etc
- etc
- etc

And found I was wrong believing Prog died in the 70's.

Of course Genesis is and always will be my favorite band, but my top 20 include several bands from the 90's and no longer has many from the 70's.

Iván

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - January 10 2015 at 23:39

verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2015 at 23:47
Meet the new prog...same as the old prog!
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2015 at 00:30
The symph prog of the 70s sounds how it should, like bands expressing themselves. The same for any other sub that had it's start in the 70s. Heavy prog sounds at home in the 80s. Prog Metal and Post/Math in the 90s (Post/Math extending into 00s). Exp/Post in 00s to now (I've found most of the prog releases I like this decade are in this tag). I think a lot of newer prog, even the avant stuff, feels a little out of place to me for some reason. I wasn't around in the 70s, but most of the older stuff just feels more like artists expressing in their context. That's not to say 70s was the best decade. From the 70s to the 00s, I can think of loads of bands I love. But for some reason, the 10s have made that hard for me. Rock in general needs something to pick up the pace and I don't think prog is excluded.
jayem View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2015 at 00:35
Past times have a virtue: they can confer the feeling we live several lives (and they become the more "mysterious" if we weren't even part of those times).

On the other hand current music can be full of hints to the past, references, and winks. Doesn't it feel great when the young ones time-link to the oldies, or dead ones, knowing that, in their own maybe even far future, other youger people will "connect" to them ?

Edited by jayem - January 11 2015 at 00:41
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 20>