Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedProg, Rolling Stone & Class Distinctions.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 1.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Prog, Rolling Stone & Class Distinctions.
    Posted: January 12 2015 at 14:39

As so many old vs new prog posts have come around lately, I want to dig up one of my pet peeves with Rolling Stone magazine, who viewed progressive rock as a music manufactured for British class distinctions. And I quote:

Why British bands feel compelled to quote the classics, however tongue-in-cheek, leads into the murky waters of class and nation analysis.... The class divisions and the crushing weight of high culture flourish essentially untrammeled. Rockers seem far more eager to ‘dignify’ their work, to make it acceptable for upper-class approbation."

John Rockwell on progressive rock

The Rolling Stone Illustrated History of Rock & Roll, 1978

My contention is that RS engaged in a reverse discrimination against progressive rock, and cast it to the wind, in favor of whatever was the pop flavor of the month using the above as defense of it's actions.

My question does not depend on my opinion regarding Rolling Stone's non inclusion of progressive rock into their sacred house of hip music. it's simply this:

Do the RS comments above regarding class distinctions ring true?

And if so, how does that view reconcile with 21th century Prog groups like Opeth, Dream Theater, Pain of Salvation, Katitonia and Tool?

And how do feel about RS magazine after reading that quotation?

Edited by SteveG - January 12 2015 at 19:18
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2015 at 15:28
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

As so many old vs new prog posts have come around lately, I want to dig up one of my pet peeves with Rolling Stone magazine who viewed progressive rock as a music manufactured for British class distinctions. And I quote:

Why British bands feel compelled to quote the classics, however tongue-in-cheek, leads into the murky waters of class and nation analysis.... The class divisions and the crushing weight of high culture flourish essentially untrammeled. Rockers seem far more eager to ‘dignify’ their work, to make it acceptable for upper-class approbation."

My contention is that RS engaged in a reverse discrimination against progressive rock and cast to it the wind in favor of whatever was the pop flavor of the month, using the above as defense of it's actions.

My question does not depend on my opinion regarding Rolling Stone's non inclusion of progressive rock into their sacred house of hip music. it's simply this:

Does the RS comments above regarding class distinctions ring true?

And if so, how does that view reconcile with 21th century Prog groups like Opeth, Dream Theater, Pain of Salvation, Katitonia and Tool?
As regards the audience the music found in Britain  - and I suspect elsewhere - it's BS.  There were plenty of working class kids into prog - and come 1976, just as many middle-class punks.
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2015 at 21:35
f**k Rolling Stone. They ceased to be relevant in about 1972 or 73. They are now a hip-hop fashion magazine for 20-something metrosexuals.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2015 at 22:05
call bullsh*t all you want .. they deserve it... but don't take our disdain and lack of class distinctions here to mean they weren't (still are today?) very real there 40-50 years ago.  I was reading the very excellent Fletcher bio on Keith Moon for example and he made it a point to go into great length those class distinction were very prevalent in the music and its listeners.  Where were you were from made as much difference as what you played.

Besides it isn't too hard to imagine..  prog fan tends to have quite the elitiest 'bunker mentality' streak in him anyway (WHY DOESN"T ANYONE LIKE OUR MUSIC AND LISTEN TO THE STUPID POP MUSIC OF TODAY!!! haha).. add cultural class distinctions... even the socio-economic ones you have here in this country and it is not hard to see.  Be it class.. or a perceived superiority in tastes and appreciation.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2015 at 22:23
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

And how do feel about RS magazine after reading that quotation?

The same way I felt about it before...a waste of paper not fit to line a bird cage with.
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2015 at 22:41
British society was strictly divided by classes in 70s and that vertical social mobility almost did not exist at the time when John Rockwell wrote about the progressive rock in The Rolling Stone Illustrated History of Rock & Roll  in 1978 (I had a Yugoslav version of the book). Prog at that time was the music created by members of the middle class to the middle (and upper) class. Prog wasn't British working class music and that is that.

Edited by Svetonio - January 12 2015 at 22:53
LearsFool View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2015 at 00:29
Here's just one thing I just realised: at least in that piece of the quote, he didn't specify British progressive bands. If he never mentioned prog by name in that whole "guide", he's even saying the Sex Pistols were out to bow to the elite. Imagine that.

Svet, did he actually mention prog by name?

Edited by Lear'sFool - January 13 2015 at 00:30
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2015 at 00:34
Originally posted by Lear'sFool Lear'sFool wrote:

Here's just one thing I just realised: at least in that piece of the quote, he didn't specify British progressive bands. If he never mentioned prog by name in that whole "guide", he's even saying the Sex Pistols were out to bow to the elite. Imagine that.

erm...so how many classical adaptations did the Pistols do again exactly?Ermm
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2015 at 00:38

Quote Why British bands feel compelled to quote the classics, however tongue-in-cheek, leads into the murky waters of class and nation analysis.... The class divisions and the crushing weight of high culture flourish essentially untrammeled. Rockers seem far more eager to ‘dignify’ their work, to make it acceptable for upper-class approbation."

Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2015 at 00:42
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

erm...so how many classical adaptations did the Pistols do again exactly?Ermm
You didn't hear yet that Sex Pistols' bootleg LP with 19-minute symph prog track at B side?!!
I can't believe it! Shocked

Edited by Svetonio - January 13 2015 at 00:43
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2015 at 01:36
Originally posted by Svetonio Svetonio wrote:

British society was strictly divided by classes in 70s and that vertical social mobility almost did not exist at the time when John Rockwell wrote about the progressive rock in The Rolling Stone Illustrated History of Rock & Roll  in 1978 (I had a Yugoslav version of the book). Prog at that time was the music created by members of the middle class to the middle (and upper) class. Prog wasn't British working class music and that is that.

what makes you think its any different now and also what bands in the seventies represented the 'working classes'? Sabbath? Zep?

also I should add that my Dad came from a working class family and was quite able to get beyond that despite dropping out of school and not going to university. I can assure you that he was far from an exception. If you are prepared to work hard you can do it.
Working Class to Middle Class mobilty has always been achievable in my lifetime. 

The Upper Class is basically a small minority who own most of the wealth . That does and will never change and in fact has got much worse in the last 8 years.

Prog is predominantly a middle class pursuit certainly although its hard to say that only the middle classes bought the albums. In my own school experience which included mainly working class kids I remember someone running a poll of the most popular bands in 1978 and guess who came top? Yes followed by ELP.
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2015 at 03:14
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

what makes you think its any different now and also what bands in the seventies represented the 'working classes'? Sabbath? Zep? (...)
Slade, for example.
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2015 at 08:17
I was not in Britain at the time so I have no idea (I was very young and living in Spain, were things arrived late and frequently distorted), but something like that is indeed the image that reached us. That Prog was more the cult music in university environments and such, young people with higher education and "culture" wearing discrete clothing and not so many riveted black leather jackets if you know what I mean (but surely with long hair, beards and smoking pot like maniacs Wink).

But I couldn't care less by now, we are 45 years later. We definitely need to erase the clouds of elitism which have often surrounded Prog, they do our beloved genre no good.

The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2015 at 09:02
I'm not necessarily sold on the "class distinction" rhetoric spewed by Rolling Stone, but neither can I speak from an historical context regarding Britain in the 70s, as I didn't live there.

However, from my own personal perspective, most folks are musically shallow. It may sound pejorative, but facts are facts. Where I lived and grew up in Michigan, the same people who listened to Yes, Tull, ELP, Floyd, Zeppelin, Sabbath, etc. in the early 70s were just as likely to have gone "disco" as "punk" by the end of the decade, and then gone straight to "new wave" in the 80s.

A large swathe of the population surrender to the next big thing, whatever that is, because of peer pressure or because they simply don't care that much about music to stay in one camp for any length of time. It doesn't really matter what tune you hum, as long as the tune is hummable. And with the advent of MTV, there was only a certain subset of music you were allowed to hear (and neither punk nor prog was allowed, really, and metal videos were only shown at midnight); likewise, commercial radio stations had, since the mid-70s, gone to canned playlists and surrendered whatever rebellious pirate spirit they had in the late 60s/early 70s. The general public, neither adventurous or caring, musically speaking, bought whatever they heard on MTV or the radio. 

Amusingly, I can recall friends who worshipped Queen, Roxy Music or any number of prog bands early on, suddenly jabbing safety pins in their faces and getting Mohawks within less than a 5 year span, and others donning their platform shoes and polyester leisure suits and boogying to the Bee Gees or KC and the Sunshine Band.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
LearsFool View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2015 at 11:17

Quote Why British bands feel compelled to quote the classics, however tongue-in-cheek, leads into the murky waters of class and nation analysis.... The class divisions and the crushing weight of high culture flourish essentially untrammeled. Rockers seem far more eager to ‘dignify’ their work, to make it acceptable for upper-class approbation."

Ah, my bad.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2015 at 11:44

Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

I'm not necessarily sold on the "class distinction" rhetoric spewed by Rolling Stone, but neither can I speak from an historical context regarding Britain in the 70s, as I didn't live there.

However, from my own personal perspective, most folks are musically shallow. It may sound pejorative, but facts are facts. Where I lived and grew up in Michigan, the same people who listened to Yes, Tull, ELP, Floyd, Zeppelin, Sabbath, etc. in the early 70s were just as likely to have gone "disco" as "punk" by the end of the decade, and then gone straight to "new wave" in the 80s.

The class distinction that RS promotes, is a mirror of the fact that they got rich and now only partied with the big boys and girls! Nothing else. The rest of their work, as you mention has not been important for 30 to 40 years ... maybe some really nice photography by a few folks, but other than that ... it's value and commentary has been obsolete from the start.

But let's not forget, that Melody Maker and New Music Express and other magazines, were not exactly doing anything different. In fact, I always felt that NME and MM were creating a new "class" of rich stars that were making more than most lords in the parliament, which, in essence, was another "rich" and should become a "ruling class", but there was no way that Mick was going to be in parliament, right?

There is an article, in a film called "Deep End" by Jerzy Skolimowski that makes a very interesting point ... and both film, theater, and most of the arts, seem to support the theory that the whole "revolution" was more an upper class thing, than otherwise, and later, with "woodstock" and the like, got to the "lower classes'. It's a crazy idea in my book, but it makes sense ... who has the most money to burn on dope? Not the lower classes! Who has the most money for all the fancy this and that and colorful this and that? Not the lower classes!

Now, myself, being a part of an European family, and an educated one at that ... guess what mom tried to do ... we couldn't play sports ... that was for the lower classes ... and we couldn't go to the parties and dances at school ... that's for the middle class ... and in the end, it was very annoying and not fun until the day that I was, finally, out of the house and no longer had to put up with stupid rules ... specially in AMERICA, where these divisions are not as clear, as they are in Portugal, or Brazil, for example. There, you had the haves and the have nots!

One of the nicest things in Madison, WI, and then Santa Barbara, was that within the music we all loved, there were no class ranks, until much later when the queen bitch in a rock band decided that she was a goddess and everyone else was a subject except her fans! But that was, already, after the come down of most "progressive" bands, and the rise of punk and other bands.

A large swathe of the population surrender to the next big thing, whatever that is, because of peer pressure or because they simply don't care that much about music to stay in one camp for any length of time.

To a degree. You have to have inner thick skin and a very good sense of "self" to not be influenced by popular this and that. You also have to have a fairly strong artistic streak, or your tastes will come and go like michelangelo and the day after the music is forgotten, which to me is like saying ... you weren't into it anyway! (the "MUSIC" .... not a style! as a style falls into your argument of social this and that!)

Amusingly, I can recall friends who worshipped Queen, Roxy Music or any number of prog bands early on, suddenly jabbing safety pins in their faces and getting Mohawks within less than a 5 year span, and others donning their platform shoes and polyester leisure suits and boogying to the Bee Gees or KC and the Sunshine Band.

I know a few more, because we had a show and music to work with ... Space Pirate Radio ... and I can tell you that we were a lot more than just a handful! And we knew by the amount of stuff that disappeared week to week at Moby Disk (in Van Nuys then), that a lot of this stuff from Europe was no joke! And it was moving! And many of us still talk about it ... on another thread on this board! Nice stories, too!

Edited by moshkito - January 13 2015 at 11:52
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2015 at 16:51
I feel even more suckier about this sucky rag that as of late sucks the most it ever has sucked in its suckiest so many year history of sucking suckily. Suck long and suck-sper!
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2015 at 10:13

f**k Rolling Stone. They ceased to be relevant in about 1972 or 73. They are now a hip-hop fashion magazine for 20-something metrosexuals.

Hmmm....are metrosexuals people who have sex with metros..?

Confused

Regarding RS I said once on another thread they have never been about prog from day one so what's all the hubbub about with them and prog lately?
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2015 at 12:10
^For me personally, Doc, I consider RS to be America's most popular rock music publication.

That RS was never about prog, and the reasons why, is the problem.

In addition, this is also important to the amateur music historian in me as it helps to put progressive rock's popularity, or lack of same, into perspective. 

Edited by SteveG - January 15 2015 at 12:40
Evolver View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2015 at 12:35
RS always seemed more interested in the heroin chic crowd, and later, the cocaine chic, over the actual music.

More recently, they have become irrelevant to music fans.  Anything good from the rag recently has come from the political reporting  (Matt Taibbi's work comes to mind), but even that does not make it worth purchasing.
Trust me. I know what I'm doing.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>