Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedProg, Rolling Stone & Class Distinctions.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 1.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Prog, Rolling Stone & Class Distinctions.
    Posted: January 29 2015 at 14:48
^Egad! That really is mixing oil and water! LOL
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2015 at 18:31
Originally posted by Lear'sFool Lear'sFool wrote:

^ Roxy Music has always been a favourite of people who otherwise despise prog as well.
Yes, that's right, and I can imagine what kind of psychological trauma that Mr Ferry get at the time when Roxy Music was the opening act for Jethro Tull at U.S. tour LOL

Edited by Svetonio - January 25 2015 at 18:32
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2015 at 18:01
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Originally posted by Svetonio Svetonio wrote:

^Good points. Symphonic prog did seem to be RS's  real enemy and the groups listed above are what I considered to be leaning more toward Crossover Prog as opposed to full on prog, and is the real reason why they are listed or rated by RS.
However, two Santana's, one Captain Beefheart's album and two The Mothers of Invention's albums are on the list; those albums are prog rock albums and very important albums of our beloved genre but not a kind of prog rock that we called *Crossover Prog* decades later. Also, Brian Eno's Another Green World  is on the list and that album also have nothing to do with a kind of modern prog rock that we call *Crossover Prog*, e.g. listed Radiohead's albums that, I can bet in a hard cash, the RS journalists never were recognized as *Crossover Prog* as well.

Btw, Steve, do you agree that it remains a mystery how a good guy like Brian Eno - who was an art student & who was spent almost all 70s at his apartment or in the studio - found his place on the RS list which is full of the albums by major rock desperados?
Isn't a kind of mistery how RS boys, who evidently hate Symphonic rock (or even the worst case is really possible: they thought maybe that Symphonic rock is not rock at all as well as some people think that e.g. Knifeworld's Send Him A Seaworthy is not a prog rock song) that they forgot that in spite of those fanatics of Symphonic rock that to decorate
 their list with e.g. Discipline by King Crimson, and therefore that Discipline the album that to be the only one KC's album on that RS list?
Well, it shows all the silly spirit of all of those kind of lists, methinks.
And consenquently none of these "the greatest..." lists can not explain that class distinction in 70s as a pretty complex sociological & curturally phenomenon that was very influential on British rock (in general) in 70s without a shade of doubt .
As for Eno's inclusion on the RS "greatest of all time list",  I can only guess that Eno's producing credits of Bowie and U2 is what really swayed their decision. But again, I'm just speculating.
I understand you (Mr Eno produced also Remain In Light ) but then it should be far more logical that they were put on the list My Life In The Bush Of Ghosts  instead of Another Green World.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2015 at 12:54
^True. I think Roxy Music gets some kind of 'proto new wave' pass with RS.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
LearsFool View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2015 at 12:52
^ Roxy Music has always been a favourite of people who otherwise despise prog as well.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2015 at 12:44

^Good points. Symphonic prog did seem to be RS's  real enemy and the groups listed above are what I considered to be leaning more toward Crossover Prog as opposed to full on prog, and is the real reason why they are listed or rated by RS.
However, two Santana's, one Captain Beefheart's album and two The Mothers of Invention's albums are on the list; those albums are prog rock albums and very important albums of our beloved genre but not a kind of prog rock that we called *Crossover Prog* decades later. Also, Brian Eno's Another Green World  is on the list and that album also have nothing to do with a kind of modern prog rock that we call *Crossover Prog*, e.g. listed Radiohead's albums that, I can bet in a hard cash, the RS journalists never were recognized as *Crossover Prog* as well.

Btw, Steve, do you agree that it remains a mystery how a good guy like Brian Eno - who was an art student & who was spent almost all 70s at his apartment or in the studio - found his place on the RS list which is full of the albums by major rock desperados?
Isn't a kind of mistery how RS boys, who evidently hate Symphonic rock (or even the worst case is really possible: they thought maybe that Symphonic rock is not rock at all as well as some people think that e.g. Knifeworld's Send Him A Seaworthy is not a prog rock song) that they forgot that in spite of those fanatics of Symphonic rock that to decorate
 their list with e.g. Discipline by King Crimson, and therefore that Discipline the album that to be the only one KC's album on that RS list?
And consenquently none of these "the greatest..." lists can not explain that class distinction in 70s as a pretty complex sociological & curturally phenomenon that was very influential on British rock (in general) in 70s without a shade of doubt .
As for Eno's inclusion on the RS "greatest of all time list",  I can only guess that Eno's producing credits of Bowie and U2 is what really swayed their decision. But again, I'm just speculating.
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2015 at 00:46
Originally posted by HackettFan HackettFan wrote:

Originally posted by uduwudu uduwudu wrote:

Does this publication or any of it's sympathizers think those of a say, working class disposition, not have the necessary qualities to appreciate anything more than something basic? Worse, that something really crude and basic is all popular music should have for it's aspirations? The implication being we humble ordinaries are incapable of enjoying music without assigning some non musical value to it?

A working class fellow like Steve Hackett, for example.
Mr Hackett is a great maestro wthout a doubt, but I'd like to mind you that Genesis sound was developed at Trespass the album with Anthony Phillips who was a driven force behind the band at that time and who wasn't a member of English working class.

HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2015 at 14:34
Originally posted by uduwudu uduwudu wrote:

Does this publication or any of it's sympathizers think those of a say, working class disposition, not have the necessary qualities to appreciate anything more than something basic? Worse, that something really crude and basic is all popular music should have for it's aspirations? The implication being we humble ordinaries are incapable of enjoying music without assigning some non musical value to it?

A working class fellow like Steve Hackett, for example.
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2015 at 01:16
Tony Banks remarked in a filmed interview somewhere remarked that when pop and rock existed as Genesis emerged and the more classically oriented young musicians of the day (him and co) merely added their input. Bill Bruford (I think) also commented in much the same way, demurring any pretension as he would.

That was all really. Some sophistication to see if it worked. (I think it did...) But human nature being as suspicious and conservative as it is, when some publication plumps an appropriately inflammatory piece of prose down in front of people to be provocative it causes dissension, discussion and diatribes.

I say, never mind that bollocks it's only rock and roll. Ours is no disgrace!

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2015 at 00:01

It doesn't make any sense to me how being intrigued by more musical intricacy has anything to with a class system, unless your taking the position that you have to be from the upper class to appreciate that sort of stimulation. However, that proposition is so patently false that I don't see how it gets much mileage.

Progressive Rock is actually quite rebellious. It challenges conventional popular approaches to music. Rolling Stone's philosophy of music is quite conservative. They epitomize the conventions of the industry that Prog rebelled against. Rolling Stone therefore attempts to promote the acceptance of its conservative philosophy by redefining rebelliousness in terms of class distinctions. It's a red herring because it has nothing to do with musical rebellion. That's my take on it, anyway.

As someone that's lived on and off in the U.K in the late seventies and early eighties, I can assure you that class distinctions did indeed exist and that some Duke or Duchess may have appreciated that the classical and chamber music that they were weaned on was now mixed with rock and roll. But that would be a extremely small exception.

Again, I would like to stress my feelings that RS, and perhaps other trade publications, has exaggerated this 'class' argument. I would be quite comfortable if they just rejected prog rock out of hand for being pompous, self-indulgent or any other attribute of the music that could be percieved as real instead of using a class war as an excuse to bypass Prog.

Definitely agree.
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2015 at 23:22
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

Ain't this all about what 'names' are hip to drop from any given genre plus a smidgin of passive racism from white male journalists? It seems pretty obvious that everyone wants to appear 'sophisticated' rather than 'class conscious'. Those perennial darlings of the Rawk press Lou Reed and the Stooges often bluffed John Coltrane as a stated influence with precisely zero evidence in either's output, Maureen Tucker passed off some incredibly crap drumming as her embrace of 'african rhythmic concepts' while every Post-Punk band trots out Miles Davis, Hendrix, Sun Ra, Can, Bob Marley, Kraftwerk, Stockhausen, Mingus, Beefheart et al as avowed inspiration (the deader the better, everyone loves what can never come back) Until such time as we can find a classical composer who is edgy/right on/dissolute/drug dependent/promiscuous/provocative/black and preferably dead, then those who quote or cite inspiration from classical forms will continue to be beaten with the class stick. Wait up....George Gershwin is considered hip by Rock journalistsShocked

But...but...wait...I think George Gershwin is hip! Egad, I've been stigmatized!

I like to think that neither of us is racist so do you have any point to make?...

Edited by ExittheLemming - January 24 2015 at 06:17
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2015 at 22:42

Edited by Svetonio - January 24 2015 at 00:57
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2015 at 22:38
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

Ain't this all about what 'names' are hip to drop from any given genre plus a smidgin of passive racism from white male journalists? It seems pretty obvious that everyone wants to appear 'sophisticated' rather than 'class conscious'. Those perennial darlings of the Rawk press Lou Reed and the Stooges often bluffed John Coltrane as a stated influence with precisely zero evidence in either's output, Maureen Tucker passed off some incredibly crap drumming as her embrace of 'african rhythmic concepts' while every Post-Punk band trots out Miles Davis, Hendrix, Sun Ra, Can, Bob Marley, Kraftwerk, Stockhausen, Mingus, Beefheart et al as avowed inspiration (the deader the better, everyone loves what can never come back) Until such time as we can find a classical composer who is edgy/right on/dissolute/drug dependent/promiscuous/provocative/black and preferably dead, then those who quote or cite inspiration from classical forms will continue to be beaten with the class stick. Wait up....George Gershwin is considered hip by Rock journalistsShocked

But...but...wait...I think George Gershwin is hip! Egad, I've been stigmatized!

Edited by The Dark Elf - January 23 2015 at 22:38
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2015 at 22:06
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2015 at 08:38

It doesn't make any sense to me how being intrigued by more musical intricacy has anything to with a class system, unless your taking the position that you have to be from the upper class to appreciate that sort of stimulation. However, that proposition is so patently false that I don't see how it gets much mileage.

Progressive Rock is actually quite rebellious. It challenges conventional popular approaches to music. Rolling Stone's philosophy of music is quite conservative. They epitomize the conventions of the industry that Prog rebelled against. Rolling Stone therefore attempts to promote the acceptance of its conservative philosophy by redefining rebelliousness in terms of class distinctions. It's a red herring because it has nothing to do with musical rebellion. That's my take on it, anyway.
As someone that's lived on and off in the U.K in the late seventies and early eighties, I can assure you that class distinctions did indeed exist and that some Duke or Duchess may have appreciated that the classical and chamber music that they were weaned on was now mixed with rock and roll. But that would be a extremely small exception.

Again, I would like to stress my feelings that RS, and perhaps other trade publications, has exaggerated this 'class' argument. I would be quite comfortable if they just rejected prog rock out of hand for being pompous, self-indulgent or any other attribute of the music that could be percieved as real instead of using a class war as an excuse to bypass Prog.

Edited by SteveG - January 23 2015 at 08:40
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2015 at 08:28
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2015 at 22:12

Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

^^^  Not just French bands but American bands too.  I remember reading a rather needlessly scathing review of a Steely Dan concert, apparently written back in 1972.  I don't grudge the reviewer his opinion but he basically devoted the entire first para to arguing how American bands tended to be just an overhype unlike their (apparently far superior) peers in Britain.

If you look at the imbecilic RS "500 Greatest Albums of All Time", Prog is only represented by 4 Pink Floyd albums (DSotM is the highest at #43, followed at intervals by The Wall, Wish You Were Here and Piper at the Gates of Dawn), and Jethro Tull's Aqualung at #337. That's it. There are any number of asinine albums strewn like cow sh*te across a pasture, but that is all you get if you love prog.

No Yes, no Genesis (although Peter Gabriel's So shows up late), no King Crimson, no ELP and no Rush. Look for yourself:

I agree that it was a stupid thing to list nothing by KC's, Yes, Rush, ELP's or Genesis' catalogue. Btw, I'm also wonder that RS didn't listed Tim Buckley's Goodbye And Hello, Starsailor  or Lorca.
However, I still found some of the great prog rock albums by the acts that are already in the Prog Archives' full-prog sections...

Captain Beefheart & His Magic Band's Trout Mask Replica # 60

Radiohead's Kid A # 67

Miles Davis' Bitches Brew # 95

Radiohead's The Bends # 111

Steely Dan's Aja #145

Santana' s/t  # 149

Radiohead's OK Computer # 162

Todd Rundgren's Something/Anything? # 173

Nine Inch Nails' The Downward Spiral # 201

Santana's Abraxas # 207

Steely Dan's Can't Buy A Thrill # 240

The Mothers of Invention's Freak Out! # 246

Kraftwerk's Trans-Europe Express # 256

Blood, Sweat & Tears'  Child Is Father to the Man # 266

The Mothers of Invention's We're Only In It For The Money # 297

Radiohead's Amnesiac # 320

Radiohead's n Rainbows # 336

Roxy Music's Siren # 374

Björk's Post # 376

Steely Dan's Pretzel Logic # 386

Roxy Music's  For Your Pleasure # 396

Brian Eno's Another Green World # 429

Brian Eno's Here Come the Warm Jets # 432

I'm not trying to beat a dead horse, but where are Yes, Genesis, etc. Most of these groups are really cross over prog, like Steely Dan or BS&T.
Crossover Prog is full-prog category. Above listed albums are  full-prog albums. Of course, it is evidently that RS hate Symphonic rock with a passion, and I already said that it was stupid thing for RS to list nothing by KC or (early) Genesis or Yes ( e.g. Close to the Edge must be on their list anyway ) but you can trust me that it's actually nothing new to me 'cause I meet a lot of old proggers who never loved to listen Symphonic rock albums; they were loved The Mothers of Invention, Mahavishnu Orchestra, Gong, Hatfield and The North, Robert Wyatt, Can and so on, and disliked these 70s Symphonic rock acts as ELP, Genesis or Yes.

Edited by Svetonio - January 22 2015 at 22:17
LearsFool View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2015 at 19:01
^ That's actually a really good point. Look at punk: first and foremost, it was musically rebellious, stripping rock of various influences that even the original '50's era stock had, and then post-punk experimented on top of that. Rolling Stone HATED punk for a while because of all that. Same place that they hated prog from, just for a different specific reason.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2015 at 18:49

SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2015 at 16:40
Originally posted by Dayvenkirq Dayvenkirq wrote:

As so many old vs new prog posts have come around lately, I want to dig up one of my pet peeves with Rolling Stone magazine, who viewed progressive rock as a music manufactured for British class distinctions. And I quote:

Why British bands feel compelled to quote the classics, however tongue-in-cheek, leads into the murky waters of class and nation analysis.... The class divisions and the crushing weight of high culture flourish essentially untrammeled. Rockers seem far more eager to ‘dignify’ their work, to make it acceptable for upper-class approbation."

John Rockwell on progressive rock

The Rolling Stone Illustrated History of Rock & Roll, 1978

Do the RS comments above regarding class distinctions ring true?

And if so, how does that view reconcile with 21th century Prog groups like Opeth, Dream Theater, Pain of Salvation, Katitonia and Tool?

And how do feel about RS magazine after reading that quotation?
One of the things I don't like about this kind of "pro" writing is that I don't feel like I'm reading the quote in English. "Why British bands feel compelled to quote the classics" sounds like a question, but it's followed by "leads into the murky waters of class and nation analysis", which needs a subject. Eh, John.

All in all, I don't understand the quote. Is the guy trying to say that much of prog is political, more specifically Marxist? And what kind of "rockers" are we talking? "Rockers seem far more eager to ‘dignify’ their work, to make it acceptable for upper-class approbation." Sounds like he is talking about a different group of musicians. I suspect he is talking about the American hard-rockers, since he's already talked about British bands in general. And the very idea of American rockers pleasing the upper class ... what are they, court jesters?

I come from another country, I've been living in an English-speaking country for almost nine years now. I don't know a lot, but I do know this: the guy can't write. This is not professional writing. How do you hire a person like that for a magazine?

And how do feel about RS magazine after reading that quotation?
Can't say I would think anything of RS after reading a sentence or two from a single individual ... other than: "What was wrong with them in the 70's?"
A friend of mine actually owns this sordid book, so I don't have instant access to it.
Basically, the author is saying that prog music, by quoting the 'classics' I. E. classical composers, etc.,  and combing that with rock music, was done in the seventies in the U. K. to make the music more palatable for the upper classes.  That's what this writer is trying to say in the most convoluted way possible in that quotation, but he does expand on what he's saying further into the chapter. 
I just didn't want quote most of that chapter in order to get his point across. I hope this will suffice. 

To expand on this further, I do recall (but don't have access to) an RS article from the late seventies that pitted punk rock 'for the people' against prog for the 'snobs'. Not an exact quotation, but words to that effect that seemed to be Rolling Stone's MO regarding prog rock in that era.

Edited by SteveG - January 22 2015 at 17:26
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>