Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > Just for Fun
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedReviewers should be judged too.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 11>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 4 Votes, Average 3.25  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Reviewers should be judged too.
    Posted: January 23 2015 at 00:07

There seems to be a very tight community among reviewers, this makes us forget about the bigger picture which is the music. Just because a reviewer took part of their precious time to review an album this by no means entitles them to overly bad negative criticism in  their review. Yes reviewers are not being paid by writing a review nor should bands be grateful for a negative review either.

Honest and unbiased opinions are important/crucial yes of course but nasty and unfounded reviews to me do not contribute anything to our prog society, quite the contrary, this does not benefit any of us (listener, prospect buyer or follower) and I think this to be most inconsiderable and disrespectable to any band. The effort, heart, time and soul bands take to produce an album plus financing with their own personal savings/funds to release an album should not be taken lithely. Most bands don’t even recover their initial costs inc. cd production etc.  

Thus for every review out there, there’s a band who at least deserve an honest opinion from a reviewer who took a considerable amount of time to listen to every track on their album.

Critique all you want but if a reviewer, being a collab or not, they too should be allowed to be judged by others and critiqued for their reviews good or bad and especially if they made no effort to describe an album while posting a review. This is only fair to me.

hugs Hug

Edited by Kati - January 30 2015 at 00:34
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2015 at 01:02
Sonia, every reviewer has their own way of approaching what they want to praise or criticize about the music they listen to. I can only relate to you my own personal approach, so I won't be speaking for others.

It's difficult for me to be overly critical and negative in much of what I write. I've given poorer reviews before, but there's only been rare examples, for a number of reasons:

a) I am not a musician, so I hardly feel like I can complain about an artists work compared to the ZERO albums that I've recorded!

b) Because the majority of my CD/LP collection is progressive related music, there's more than a good chance that there will be at least several elements - be it the instrumentation, the singing, the lyrics, etc - that will show intelligence, musical sophistication and/or inventive elements that are only worthy of praise, so those will be the things to focus on.

and c) Life is too short to focus on negative, demeaning things, and even if there's some albums that don't mean too much to me (and I know my better friends on here will know plenty of albums/artists that I don't particularly enjoy! , I'd rather simply leave those alone, let others who find more to praise in them do the positive write-ups, than me personally launching into a negative attack. Also, there's plenty of negative things I have personally going on in my life, that I prefer to focus my attention and energy on positive, exciting directions, and I think my usually mostly positive reviews reflect that.

Do I sometimes think `Man, I really should throw in a couple of negative reviews once in a while....'? Yes, absolutely! But I don't have the time, energy or mental space to take the time to be overly negative and put others efforts down, nor am I immature enough to want to ruffle people's feathers and get a reaction from them for the sake of sh*t-stirring.

Anyway, I'm sure I had a point in there somewhere, but I'd like to hear other reviewers feelings on the matter!
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2015 at 01:38
2/5 Review

Didn't say atmosphere enough

Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2015 at 02:51
Originally posted by Horizons Horizons wrote:

2/5 Review

Didn't say atmosphere enough

Bwahaha, well I'm glad at least one person takes notice of a lot of my stuff, makes it all worthwhile!
Argonaught View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2015 at 05:13
I can say I have read quite a few reviewers' reviews that felt distinctively malevolent, cockeyed and meaningless to boot. I stopped reading them altogether Clown (almost). IMO, the reviewers' duty is to bring new music to the public's attention, not to tell you what you should think of it. And yes, improper reviews should be reported, just as improper ratings or other counter-productive behavior that doesn't make positive contribution to the community. 

Edited by Argonaught - January 23 2015 at 05:14
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2015 at 07:07
Reviewers must be permitted to comment with impunity if they are to give their honest opinion of a piece of work, even if that is harsh or "unfair". Judging whether that harsh opinion is not an honest opinion is an "after-the-event" assessment that the reader is entitled to make, however, what we cannot do is presume that the reviewer is not being honest.

If we start imposing rules (above the normal standards of conduct implied by the Review Guidelines) then we are enforcing restrictions on reviewing practices that will also hamper fair and impartial reviews. 

Not every album is solid gold and a review is of the music presented, not of the effort involved in making it.

Edited by Dean - January 23 2015 at 07:08
What?
Walton Street View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2015 at 07:15
I read movie reviews, and I've written a couple of concert reviews, but i'll never read a music review as long as I live.
Someone else's critical opinion of an album means nothing to me.
If I want to talk about the music I love i'll talk to someone else that loves it too.

should they be held responsible?  I guess so - sure. But it really doesn't matter much to me. When it comes to music - it's so damn personal that no one is wrong or right.
Anything I want to know as far as information goes (producer, players, history) I'll look it up if i'm so inclined.

I may have read a bit back in the day - I have Rolling Stone magazines going back to the 60's when they were on newsprint - but since the internet - I couldn't be bothered.
"I know one thing: that I know nothing"

- SpongeBob Socrates
earlyprog View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Neo / PSIKE / Heavy Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2015 at 07:20
Originally posted by Argonaught Argonaught wrote:

... improper reviews should be reported, just as improper ratings or other counter-productive behavior that doesn't make positive contribution to the community. 

Shocked

This is not the PA I want.

Should we put them up against the wall and then what?

The day that happens, call me Charlie Wink

Edited by earlyprog - January 23 2015 at 07:41
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2015 at 07:22
Clap
Thanks Dean, I couldn't have said it better myself.

If you genuinely consider yourself a reviewer - or at the very least work as one, then you should also be able to voice your opinion when the album in question is poor. There are however many ways of doing so, and some people step over the line. That is why we have the report button (NOT because one's new fave album received a 1 star reviewWink).

Some of my favourite reviews are 1 and 2 star write ups. Hell, I still go back and read Bob's (ClemofNazareth) old Triumph reviewsLOL

Edited by Guldbamsen - January 23 2015 at 07:23
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2015 at 07:24
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Reviewers must be permitted to comment with impunity if they are to give their honest opinion of a piece of work, even if that is harsh or "unfair". Judging whether that harsh opinion is not an honest opinion is an "after-the-event" assessment that the reader is entitled to make, however, what we cannot do is presume that the reviewer is not being honest.

If we start imposing rules (above the normal standards of conduct implied by the Review Guidelines) then we are enforcing restrictions on reviewing practices that will also hamper fair and impartial reviews. 

Not every album is solid gold and a review is of the music presented, not of the effort involved in making it.

Yay Dean, my favorite grumpy Heart hello! Smile
There's nothing wrong with critique and ones opinion regarding an album, this is not the point I making here.
I do NOT think negative reviews without substance and actual description of the music/album content should be considered as a "review" because it clearly isn't. I could but won't actually show a review which the reviewer only named one single track on an album and even that name he wrote wrong. Another example would be a reviewer who said he doesn't like the singer while the album has 9 different singersLOL
Big hug to you, Hug
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2015 at 07:30
Originally posted by Walton Street Walton Street wrote:

I read movie reviews, and I've written a couple of concert reviews, but i'll never read a music review as long as I live.
If I want to talk about the music I love i'll talk to someone else that loves it too.

should they be held responsible?  I guess so - sure. But it really doesn't matter much to me. When it comes to music - it's so damn personal that no one is wrong or right.
Anything I want to know as far as information goes (producer, players, history) I'll look it up if i'm so inclined.

I may have read a bit back in the day - I have Rolling Stone magazines going back to the 60's when they were on newsprint - but since the internet - I couldn't be bothered.
Aren't movie reviews "so damn personal" as well?

The reviewers share their opinion, but it's an opinion, nobody says if it's wrong or right. If everyone had the same one, the reviews wouldn't matter.

I like to read them to discover music I don't know but also to read how the music I already know touched others differently... like today's five star review of 'Time and a Word' Smile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2015 at 07:31
well the short answer is yes .. especially when it comes to factual errors.

but aren't irresponsible reviews judged already - by the very virtue that people will publically disagree with them?

are you talking about in general, or just on this site?

- SpongeBob Socrates
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2015 at 07:33
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

Aren't movie reviews "so damn personal" as well?

The reviewers share their opinion, but it's an opinion, nobody says if it's wrong or right. If everyone had the same one, the reviews wouldn't matter.

I like to read them to discover music I don't know but also to read how the music I already know touched others differently... like today's five star review of 'Time and a Word' Smile

no I get it - that's how I feel about movie reviews ..

and I wasn't saying people shouldn't review - I just occurred to me when reading the OP that I never read them or want to - not in years

it was an odd discovery about me - not the process of reviewing.

I used to write movie reviews for a print magazine - so I do get it :)

- SpongeBob Socrates
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2015 at 07:40
I completely get what you're saying Sonia....but then again, these people are out in the open for all to see. 
Who in their right minds will trust a writer if the reviews are shallow, judgemental and poorly written? Trust me, they receive their end of the bad karma. Free speech* is a real bitch.

*......although we only allow free speech with a bit of common courtesy mixed in here on PABig smile

Damn I got ninja'd by Walton thereLOL 
He even said the same thing - only much more comprehensible.

Edited by Guldbamsen - January 23 2015 at 07:42
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2015 at 07:41
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Much as it pains me to agree with this unrepentant gothic hippy, this post cuts deep to the chase. You cannot 'cut and paste' sincerity (Better to live than to know etc) A similar deluded rationale exists where people opine that members who do not like certain genres should therefore not review albums that belong to those genres as if the potential deficit of positivity will somehow topple the edifice of informed choice. Since when did 'I've heard it, I don't like it and here's why' become 'close-minded?) There is no compulsory 'vegetarian choice' when it comes to the arts
Clap Clap Clap

Edited by ExittheLemming - January 23 2015 at 08:03
earlyprog View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Neo / PSIKE / Heavy Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2015 at 07:48
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

I completely get what you're saying Sonia....but then again, these people are out in the open for all to see. 
Who in their right minds will trust a writer if the reviews are shallow, judgemental and poorly written? Trust me, they receive their end of the bad karma. Free speech* is a real bitch.

*......although we only allow free speech with a bit of common courtesy mixed in here on PABig smile

Damn I got ninja'd by Walton thereLOL 
He even said the same thing - only much more comprehensible.

Gold-A-Bear, your  avatar of Charlie's Aunt is very fitting LOL

(The Danes would understand....)
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2015 at 07:48

but aren't irresponsible reviews judged already - by the very virtue that people will publically disagree with them?

Walton Street, I am talking in general, the two examples I gave above happened to be on here, however many prog sites deal with this SAME issue, not only P.A.
Hug
Having bad written reviews with no content also is not fair to the reviewers who actual do care about what they write both positive and also negative views (both are necessary as it creates some kind of balance).
Thus that one can write anything not related and call it a review with impunity is total B.S.   
another hug to you, Hug
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2015 at 07:54
Formalized "criticism" of artistic pursuits in general is an odd pastime, when I think about it.  Part of me knows that their purpose is to inform the reader of the reviewers considered assessment of the "value" of the work, in the hopes that the reader will have a similar point of view (making it a persuasive piece of writing, in essence). 

But then another part of me also knows that art and music are really above and beyond objective criticism (apart from a purely technical description of the music), and that no two people can hear an album the same way (kind of what Walton Street is saying above), so then the purpose of the review is primarily to entertain rather than inform.  And if the purpose is to entertain, then there is some "value" in a piece which harshly criticizes a piece of art - because for some people, that kind of thing is fun to read.  But in doing this, one must also be sensitive to the parties involved.  And in the case of a music review, the artist who made the album is most definitely involved. 

I always tell myself that whatever I publish on the internet could very well be read by the subjects of my review, and I will have to answer to whatever I write.   This doesn't mean sugar-coating everything, but it does mean using tact - and if you make a bold claim, be sure you're ready to back it up.  We are all responsible for what we do and say.  In the internet world, it's easy to forget that, as we all hide behind masks and sometimes think we can do or say anything without any consequences.  Those are the kind of environments I try to avoid on the internet, because then it resembles actual human interaction less and less, and I'm just not into that.  Some are.

Conclusion - take ownership of your reviews.  Say good things, say bad things, but be prepared to back it up, and use a level of tact befitting actual human intercourse discourse.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2015 at 07:56
Originally posted by Kati Kati wrote:

Walton Street, I am talking in general, the two examples I gave above happened to be on here, however many prog sites deal with this SAME issue, not only P.A.
Hug
Having bad written reviews with no content also is not fair to the reviewers who actual do care about what they write both positive and also negative views (both are necessary as it creates some kind of balance).
Thus that one can write anything not related and call it a review with impunity is total B.S.   
another hug to you, Hug

I personally know someone that gave a hugely popular movie the worst review ever because he really wanted to see a different press screening so it put him in a bad mood.

there in a nutshell is the difficulty with reviewing anything ... the human element.
To get any pertinent information out of a review you have to understand and know the reviewer so that you can decipher their language. 

Reviewers are just as exposed as the art maker .. and subject to the same level of criticism. It just boils down to 'one person's opinion'

Bad reviewers get sorted out soon enough and their opinions are discarded. 

- SpongeBob Socrates
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2015 at 07:57
Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

Formalized "criticism" of artistic pursuits in general is an odd pastime, when I think about it.  Part of me knows that their purpose is to inform the reader of the reviewers considered assessment of the "value" of the work, in the hopes that the reader will have a similar point of view (making it a persuasive piece of writing, in essence). 

But then another part of me also knows that art and music are really above and beyond objective criticism (apart from a purely technical description of the music), and that no two people can hear an album the same way (kind of what Walton Street is saying above), so then the purpose of the review is primarily to entertain rather than inform.  And if the purpose is to entertain, then there is some "value" in a piece which harshly criticizes a piece of art - because for some people, that kind of thing is fun to read.  But in doing this, one must also be sensitive to the parties involved.  And in the case of a music review, the artist who made the album is most definitely involved. 

I always tell myself that whatever I publish on the internet could very well be read by the subjects of my review, and I will have to answer to whatever I write.   This doesn't mean sugar-coating everything, but it does mean using tact - and if you make a bold claim, be sure you're ready to back it up.  We are all responsible for what we do and say.  In the internet world, it's easy to forget that, as we all hide behind masks and sometimes think we can do or say anything without any consequences.  Those are the kind of environments I try to avoid on the internet, because then it resembles actual human interaction less and less, and I'm just not into that.  Some are.

Conclusion - take ownership of your reviews.  Say good things, say bad things, but be prepared to back it up, and use a level of tact befitting actual human intercourse discourse.

that was exactly my approach .. couldn't put it better if I tried.

- SpongeBob Socrates
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 11>